Jimmy Mack - A Woman Is So Hard To Understand

shute

• Replies 55
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Paul

Great track, I always loved it but it wasn't very popular as far as I know.

I can't remember where I first heard it or if I bought it blind.

Mayber it was played at the Mecca ?

Social source share

That's a nice bit of soul music. Don't think I've heard it before but it hits the spot for sure.

Not sure about the last post - are you saying it's a boot? And as Shute asked - is it well known?

:g:

its new to me - didnt know if it was well known or not ? -

Social source share

Great track, I always loved it but it wasn't very popular as far as I know.

I can't remember where I first heard it or if I bought it blind.

Mayber it was played at the Mecca ?

Apparently it was played there as it was included on Goldmine's Blackpool Mecca Story

Social source share

thanks for the info chaps..... just read the topic on this 45, so it is quite well known and the boot is not a boot but a 2nd press- legally

so I could be looking at £100.00 or $100.00 for either one ?

i,m sure a well known wheeler and dealer in the 70,s told me he did the "2nd press", as well as the instigation and timothy wilson, or is it folklore

Social source share

i,m sure a well known wheeler and dealer in the 70,s told me he did the "2nd press", as well as the instigation and timothy wilson, or is it folklore

As far as I remember Kev Roberts had something to do with the 2nd press of this, 75 or 76?

As Steve says popular at the Mecca and other venues in the mid 70s.

So well known to people who where around at the time. :thumbsup:

Edited by davetay
Social source share

As far as I remember Kev Roberts had something to do with the 2nd press of this, 75 or 76?

As Steve says popular at the Mecca and other venues in the mid 70s.

So well known to people who where around at the time. :thumbsup:

yes, became a ten bob record for a while, still good though, might have even been 74 and "supplied" through disco promotions in notts

Social source share

And originals are RARE! Only seen one or two I think..........

Ian D :D

I have an original, had it for years (25+) the one on the video is not original as the word SO is not in the title on the original also "A Woman Is Hard To Understand" is all on one line (Dead wax H-4541-A)

Regards

Paul D

Social source share

There was a thread on this very subject about a month ago?

Covered all the details of when it was played and the differences between orig and 2nd issue etc?

Brilliant record imho, have always loved it!

Cheers

Steve

It was in my wants thread. I mainly wanted it because I thought it was really funny that it was the "rent is too damn high party" guy (the record was decent too). The first time ever I had a want filled on soul source! Thanks to the people who offered it for sale.

Social source share

The label looks "Chicagoish" and the instrumental sounds somewhat like Chicago artists I'm used to, and the writing of the song also sounds somewhat "Chicagoish". I also remember that Jimmy Mack was a Chicago artist and writer/producer. But, when I listen to this back-to back with "My World Is On Fire", the voices don't sound the same. I also know the sound of Jimmy McEachin's voice (and that is quite different from both of these). Was the Jimmy Mack on Palmer just a guy from Detroit, who never had another release? I always thought he was Chicago's Jimmy Mack, who may have been brought to Detroit by Mike Terry (who also worked in Chicago-with Jo Armstead and a few other companies there). I'm almost positive this singer CAN'T be the Palmer guy. Every person's voice is unique. They sound too far apart.

Social source share

The label looks "Chicagoish" and the instrumental sounds somewhat like Chicago artists I'm used to, and the writing of the song also sounds somewhat "Chicagoish". I also remember that Jimmy Mack was a Chicago artist and writer/producer. But, when I listen to this back-to back with "My World Is On Fire", the voices don't sound the same. I also know the sound of Jimmy McEachin's voice (and that is quite different from both of these). Was the Jimmy Mack on Palmer just a guy from Detroit, who never had another release? I always thought he was Chicago's Jimmy Mack, who may have been brought to Detroit by Mike Terry (who also worked in Chicago-with Jo Armstead and a few other companies there). I'm almost positive this singer CAN'T be the Palmer guy. Every person's voice is unique. They sound too far apart.

I was going to ask the same question Rob - but you have made the point with far more background knowledge. I listened to both tracks and just thought that's not the same geezer!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

So, is that Hamster Record a New York label and production?

Does anyone here know who the Jimmy Mack on Palmer was (given that he wasn't the Chicago artist/writer/producer)?

yes it was new york.

I don't know anything about Jimmy Mack on Palmer. Maybe it was the Chicago guy. But I don't know what the Chicago guy sounds like because he wasn't really a recording artist, he was an arranger. He passed away a few years ago. I was upset that I didn't call him before he passed because I suspect he had something to do with the Classics (he arranged it and one of the sides of the wise world record is called "I'm Jimmy Mack").

Social source share

yes it was new york.

I don't know anything about Jimmy Mack on Palmer. Maybe it was the Chicago guy. But I don't know what the Chicago guy sounds like because he wasn't really a recording artist, he was an arranger. He passed away a few years ago. I was upset that I didn't call him before he passed because I suspect he had something to do with the Classics (he arranged it and one of the sides of the wise world record is called "I'm Jimmy Mack").

I had heard from other collectors, who had some knowledge, and (possibly) from other people in the music industry that The Jimmy Mack on Palmer was from Chicago, and had always thought he was the Chicago arranger/songwriter that was the subject of "I'm Jimmy Mack". That's what most of us had assumed. I think it was Ron Murphy who told me that the Palmer guy was from Chicago. I think his recording was made by Mike Valvano with Mike Terry at Sidra's Studios or Terra-Shirma. Is Mike Valvano still alive? If so, maybe someone can ask him. Maybe Ralph Terrana knows who the guy is? I'll ask him.

Social source share

I had heard from other collectors, who had some knowledge, and (possibly) from other people in the music industry that The Jimmy Mack on Palmer was from Chicago, and had always thought he was the Chicago arranger/songwriter that was the subject of "I'm Jimmy Mack". That's what most of us had assumed. I think it was Ron Murphy who told me that the Palmer guy was from Chicago. I think his recording was made by Mike Valvano with Mike Terry at Sidra's Studios or Terra-Shirma. Is Mike Valvano still alive? If so, maybe someone can ask him. Maybe Ralph Terrana knows who the guy is? I'll ask him.

Last week on my radio show where I played a palmer record Bob Miner said that there used to be stock of Jimmy Mack on Palmer around in Chicago. So I guess it's possible it's arranger James Mack. And like I said, he might have also been in the Classics.

Social source share

Last week on my radio show where I played a Palmer record Bob Miner said that there used to be stock of Jimmy Mack on Palmer around in Chicago. So I guess it's possible it's arranger James Mack. And like I said, he might have also been in the Classics.

That's what I had always been told. So it sounds like a good possibility. I'd still like to hear what Ralph, and maybe Dennis Coffey and Stu Bass and any of the others who were around remember of him. We can't ask Bob Babbit, as he's very sick in hospital right now.

I also thought I had remembered seeing a Jimmy Mack release as artist on a small Chicago label (perhaps one of the Clarence Johnson or Johnny Cameron-related Master Key-related labels?). Or, maybe I only just remember his name as an arranger/producer or songwriter on several Chicago releases? Or maybe I remembered seeing the Hamster single and thought it was from Chicago, so it must be that guy? Still, I'd like to know who the Palmer artist was, if it is possible to nail it down.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

That's what I had always been told. So it sounds like a good possibility. I'd still like to hear what Ralph, and maybe Dennis Coffey and Stu Bass and any of the others who were around remember of him. We can't ask Bob Babbit, as he's very sick in hospital right now.

I also thought I had remembered seeing a Jimmy Mack release as artist on a small Chicago label (perhaps one of the Clarence Johnson or Johnny Cameron-related Master Key-related labels?). Or, maybe I only just remember his name as an arranger/producer or songwriter on several Chicago releases? Or maybe I remembered seeing the Hamster single and thought it was from Chicago, so it must be that guy? Still, I'd like to know who the Palmer artist was, if it is possible to nail it down.

There is no Chicago 45 by a "jimmy mack". But like I was saying before, the flip of the Classics' hit "looking for a love of my own" is a song called "I'm jimmy mack". And the record is arranged by James Mack. it seems weird that the arranger would be a member of the book though.

Social source share

There is no Chicago 45 by a "jimmy mack". But like I was saying before, the flip of the Classics' hit "looking for a love of my own" is a song called "I'm Jimmy mack". And the record is arranged by James Mack. it seems weird that the arranger would be a member of the book though.

Yes, I have that Classics' record. Still, I am wondering if I did see a Chicago record with Jimmy Mack as an artist. It seems to ring a bell in my memory. I don't think it was just seeing Jimmy Mack as an arranger and songwriter on a few Chicago records that gives me that feeling.

Social source share

Drum/Elgin were NY/Conn. Metro Area companies. So, maybe that's the Hamster (NY) Jimmie (jimmy) Mack, or maybe that Elgin Record is too early (1959 or 1960?) to be the Hamster artist. Or, maybe it's a 4th Jimmy Mack. Just like all the different James/Jimmy Barnes.

Social source share

Just so as there's no confusion over the Hamster vocalist, Palmer artist and Furys/Alexander Patton producer, they are all different individuals.

Mack on Hamster is from New York, MacEachin who for a time was called Jimmy Mack is an actor and author who produced the Furys etc.

Apologies if already said on previous threads plus this one.

Social source share

Most copies of Jimmy Mack on Hamster are 2nd (legal) issues, 1st press is quite a hard one, there are a few differences between them on close inspection, the most obvious being the title ' A woman is SO hard to understand ' (2nd iss) / ' A woman is hard to understand ' (1st iss). Also the original issue label is more of an olive green, rather than the emerald green of the re-release. Price wise, 2nd prob around £15 (but often sold for more as originals), 1st issue £70 upwards ?

Social source share

Most copies of Jimmy Mack on Hamster are 2nd (legal) issues, 1st press is quite a hard one, there are a few differences between them on close inspection, the most obvious being the title ' A woman is SO hard to understand ' (2nd iss) / ' A woman is hard to understand ' (1st iss). Also the original issue label is more of an olive green, rather than the emerald green of the re-release. Price wise, 2nd prob around £15 (but often sold for more as originals), 1st issue £70 upwards ?

I'd never heard it before I found it on the goldmine cd, then tracked one down [ which surprised me a bit as to how long it took ]. Played regularly at Bridgwater and the dancers took to it.

Social source share

Just so as there's no confusion over the Hamster vocalist, Palmer artist and Furys/Alexander Patton producer, they are all different individuals.

Mack on Hamster is from New York, MacEachin who for a time was called Jimmy Mack is an actor and author who produced the Furys etc.

Apologies if already said on previous threads plus this one.

Kev, you are saying that Jimmy Mack on Hamster is James MacEachin? Because Greg Tormo was saying that it was Jimmy McMillan, who is the "rent is too damn high party" person. It definitely looks like he's more likely to be correct based on the label, which has a McMillan writing credit. Do you have more insight into this? Thanks.

Social source share

Kev, you are saying that Jimmy Mack on Hamster is James MacEachin? Because Greg Tormo was saying that it was Jimmy McMillan, who is the "rent is too damn high party" person. It definitely looks like he's more likely to be correct based on the label, which has a McMillan writing credit. Do you have more insight into this? Thanks.

or maybe I'm misreading your post and you're saying he's NOT McEachin?

Social source share

Bob- Yes, I am saying the Jimmy Mack on Hamster is NOT the JM(McEachin..that's how he spells his nbame) who owned the Furys,Mack1V and the actor(Play Misty For Me etc etc).

No idea who he is, but when I made a deal with Hamster in late 75/early 76, the label owner was Ron ?, he also had something to do with the 45 Makin Love To Ya-Gotcha.

I think I mentioned this on the other thread.

Greg Tormo could be right.

Social source share

bit vague memory wise but isn't there's a jimmy mack rarity (big in japan) on rocket(?) label?

sure traded one for a couple of 100 credit a while back

Social source share

Bob- Yes, I am saying the Jimmy Mack on Hamster is NOT the JM(McEachin..that's how he spells his nbame) who owned the Furys,Mack1V and the actor(Play Misty For Me etc etc).

No idea who he is, but when I made a deal with Hamster in late 75/early 76, the label owner was Ron ?, he also had something to do with the 45 Makin Love To Ya-Gotcha.

thanks for clarifying, sorry I misunderstood your post.

Social source share

• 6 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 14/05/2012 at 12:13, Mike said:

bit vague memory wise but isn't there's a jimmy mack rarity (big in japan) on rocket(?) label?

sure traded one for a couple of 100 credit a while back

Mike

You may please know who to shout out to (best contacts on this site) about contacting Curtis from this article who founded Grand Land with Palmer James.

He appears to have a connection with this below link but I have no idea how to contact him and he is a possible to solve the artist details of Jimmy Mack once and for all (this could be our best shot, although he may not have been involved with Palmer records)

https://www.wktvjournal.org/tag/west-michigan-center-for-arts-technology/

Would love to know who is in the photo ?

Social source share

• 7 months later...
On 14/05/2012 at 11:53, Goldsoul said:

Finally we get a story

https://www.villagevoice.com/2010/10/28/exclusive-the-rent-is-too-damn-high-guy-jimmy-mcmillan-tells-us-about-his-musical-career-his-past-as-soul-musician-jimmy-mack/

Social source share

24 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Can you link me Karl please as I searched and could not find the other topic

If you can’t find maybe we haven’t but it has all been discussed and noted who the various Jimmy Mack’s are, except the Detroit one of course. I have certainly posted a link to the story of McMillan before. 

Edited by Chalky
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Detroit's Jimmy Mack "D" looks to have been named "Jimmy (Mack) Dunkley", as J. Dunley is the songwriter, and Dunkley is the publisher.  Maybe his real name was James MacDunkley or McDunkley?  Which would make him a different person from all the other Jimmy Macks, except, possibly the Palmer artist, because they would be the only 2 recording for labels based in Detroit.

Just a thought.

Social source share

3 hours ago, Robbk said:

Detroit's Jimmy Mack "D" looks to have been named "Jimmy (Mack) Dunkley", as J. Dunley is the songwriter, and Dunkley is the publisher.  Maybe his real name was James MacDunkley or McDunkley?  Which would make him a different person from all the other Jimmy Macks, except, possibly the Palmer artist, because they would be the only 2 recording for labels based in Detroit.

Just a thought.

Heard someone say Jimmy Mack on Palmer was Jimmy Soul Clarke, first time I'd heard that connection

Social source share