In Fear Of

the sight of a 50 something man with a vest full of patches ..baggy pants with a beer towel hanging off them is the main reason i dont go to niters anymore.

They only go to certain niters Jim.Think you're safe at the others.

Social source share

Ive recently pulled out of promoteing a niter due to it being turned into a fancy dress comp by my co promoter.Some of the youngsters now involved in the dressing like my dad scene,are obviously very enthusiastic about the scene which is good.Hopefully they might grow old with a bit moe style and grace than ,there parents :wicked: .

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Put enough of these threads together and we might just come up with a nice pair of baggies :D

Taking recent threads; in the wise words of Donald Duck Dunn... "If the sh*t fits...wear it!!" (Blues Brothers) RIP.

Edited by dave2
Social source share

Guest chrislokeh

the sight of a 50 something man with a vest full of patches ..baggy pants with a beer towel hanging off them is the main reason i dont go to niters anymore.

You dont see many of these atplaces like Radcliffe,Club Polonia,Bidds etc ony the oldies niters like Stoke.These niters tend to be more upfront and move with the times
Social source share

When I first posted this. I wasn't really aiming it at the kids, moreso the adults that attend. However, someone somewhere within the family must have said to their kids if you want to go you must dress like this. They must have paid to have the clothes made and they must have told them that if you want to get into the music you must dress like this. Do they send their kids to school looking like that???? I can't imagine so. If the kids like the music then great but dont tell them to dress in something that goes back 40 years IMO of course :g:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

When I first posted this. I wasn't really aiming it at the kids, moreso the adults that attend. However, someone somewhere within the family must have said to their kids if you want to go you must dress like this. They must have paid to have the clothes made and they must have told them that if you want to get into the music you must dress like this. Do they send their kids to school looking like that???? I can't imagine so. If the kids like the music then great but dont tell them to dress in something that goes back 40 years IMO of course :g:

You don't have to have them made , companies still sell them like this one !

https://www.soulclobber.co.uk/acatalog/Trouser.html

Social source share

You never see any other retro fashions other than the baggies vest look....how about the wedge and Kevin Webster tache.Never see anyone in pegs either.Pods ? Blazers with gold buttons and a badge with soul club patch.Girls never wear maxis with cork heels....loads of different retro styles.

Social source share

You never see any other retro fashions other than the baggies vest look....how about the wedge and Kevin Webster tache.Never see anyone in pegs either.Pods ? Blazers with gold buttons and a badge with soul club patch.Girls never wear maxis with cork heels....loads of different retro styles.

Social source share

Looks to me like all the swirly skirt, baggy trouser pictures are taken by one man,

simple enough then, if it's not your thing, avoid where he goes,

Personally I don't have a problem with it :facepalm:

Edited by dekka
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

am I likely to encounter the buggers at cleethorpes? somebody made some snide comments about people on the stafford videos on youtube looking like eastern europeans, so wiggyflat's comments about other retro looks associated with the scene might give them ideas. better to let sleepin' dogs lie! :D

Social source share

I don't know what to say about this really as I appear to have not moved on. I don't think you can get a more classic look than Levis and a Fred Perry, a V neck jumper or button up cardigan, with brogues or desert boots or DM shoes. I've been wearing stuff like this since I was a young teenager and will probably never stop. For playing out with the kids, I'll wear t-shirts and sweatshirts whatever, and I'd never dream of wearing baggies or bowling shirts or that stuff we used to wear in the 70's, but a classic is a classic.

there's sanity in your words pete, unlike some of the vehement sceptisism on display here. firstly you're as young as you feel even if you dont look it, its a state of mind. the music will never grow old and WILL continue to appeal to generations to come...its timeless, its tuneful, its full of brilliant lyricism unlike today's pop dross....or should i say, the last 3 DECADES OF MIND NUMBING TALENTLESS WASTE. as has been echoed so many times before, you can see why many youngsters are turning their backs on mundaneity and believing in what their parents bought them up on ( probably forcibly :lol: ) and seriously getting off on it. they must see the clothing aspect in the same way the mods did.....its alternative & different and whilst we may shudder in horror at the prospect of them replicating an age we want to brush under the carpet....WE SHOULDNT ATTEMPT TO DISSUADE THEM. the mod attitude to dress IS still revered, because it IS the height of cool, and they recognise THAT as well. they are encapsulating all of these dress codes as a positive rebellion against the boring outside world....thats not an unfamiliar thesis is it?,....remember the 70's?,....why we all got into northern soul?,....because it was a cool alternatiive?. i like to buy clothes, when i can, from house of fraser, because i want quality that looks and feels good and looks sensible for my age...but thats just me,....IT IS EVERYONE TO HIS/HER OWN. I LIKE PETER WIRTH/JACK JONES PRODUCTS & BENCH OR PENGUIN FOR T-SHIRTS, thats my taste, i wont wear anything garish or ultra floral, but im not going to put anyone down for doing just that....if you need the ultimate example of a broad spectrum, just visit the kings hall at stoke,...its an absolute kaleidescopic fashion statement, come dressed how you please and people dont stand there laughing at each other and visually dressing each other down...its of NO consequence WHATSOEVER, they're there for THE MUSIC!!. the baggies, bowling shirts, brogues,swirling skirts and the hair styles were part of an era and decade that seperated ( in our minds ) the wheat from the chaff and they will always be referred to as classics...so whilst we shy away from the euphoric past and search for suitable conformity, let others have their fling with it and give them credibility for wanting to experience what we did once.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

not being funny but if thats the reason you don't go to niters it's a fairly shallow reason

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

And what about oversize nylon american football t-shirts ?! We called them t bags cos they had loads of little holes in em !

And what about The stafford half mast sta press, white socks and moccassin look ?

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

I always thought the dress code for 100 club on the 6ts website was funny

"There is no dress code; wear what the hell you like ... as long as you wear something."

Typical venue runner ! Trying to dictate what we dont want to wear !!!

Social source share

Guest theoriginator56

:hatsoff2: HI ALL I took afew photos for something else, but if you can connect with this one, you will understand where I come from, as there has never been a fashon to equel it, :thumbsup:

[attachment=132187:DAVE NEW POSTER FOOTBALL STUFF.jpg AS ALWAYS DAVE

yep iwas there monky boots sta pres pewter olive green. also blu jeans levi with your suit jacket hop sak shiny blue. i kud go on n onn. stop. late 68.
Social source share

Oh I dunno, what about the fashion for people in their forties, fifties and sixties still necking gear :D :D

Social source share

seems a bit patronising to me ,dont really think kids are told what to wear , they are the ones that choose to wear the clothes and it probably costs the rents big style,

think its great that some of todays young are getting into the northern soul scene and want to wear what they think are the clothes associated with it , we ought to be welcoming them aboard. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i dunno whats up with you miserable old codgers !

feel free to frequent your 'up your own arse' .... i mean up front events. personally i find nothing wrong with any kind of clothing folk decide to wear at a soul event, its their choice. the retro look is great, last nights turnout at lincoln were ultra cool on the whole, smart suits, rockabilly styles, modern casuals, the lot. next saturdays will no doubt have a good few circle skirts and the odd pair of bags, fair play to em. last weekends Grosvenor rooms was packed with folk enjoying themselves, it had premier league DJ's and premier league music. remember that when you're stood scratching your arse at a half empty event.

can the scene progress any more and do we really want it to? where can it go? what else does it have to offer? answers on a postcard please

for the guy who has a balls to call them 'dick heads' , at least have the guts to say it to faces. bloody keyboard warriors

IAN (who no longer wears bags, but sometimes wears a pair of 20" bottom vintage spencers)

Who mentioned up front venues?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Who mentioned up front venues?

But Kev its obvious, if you don't go to oldies venues and endorse the baggy trousered look, you must frequent half empty up front ones with other boring chin strokers who plainly don't go out and have fun!!!

Its a simple fact of life :huh:

Social source share

You dont see many of these atplaces like Radcliffe,Club Polonia,Bidds etc ony the oldies niters like Stoke.These niters tend to be more upfront and move with the times

Aahh i see.Thought for a minute it was a dig at the "other half".

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I thought there was always Comedy Mod's even back in the 70's ?

to be a real mod you had to have a Lambretta , complete with 100 stolen mirrors and half a dozen stolen hub caps ! you wern't really a mod if you had a Vespa ? LoL

So being a mod now is only for the wealthy as Lambretta's cost a fortune

a few of my lambrettas only cost £20 when no one wanted them a bit like expensive records, depends on when you bought them and most have to pay a fortune now cos thats whats in vogue but like all fads the hangers on and wannabees will soon pass on to the next must be a part of :yes:

Social source share

The chap with the check trousers is a friend of mine called Billy & is a really nice guy.

I think your very shallow to judge people by the way they dress.

The funny thing is that it's always the same people moaning......Get a life!

I think some were judging his trousers,not him personally.

Social source share

a few of my lambrettas only cost £20 when no one wanted them a bit like expensive records, depends on when you bought them and most have to pay a fortune now cos thats whats in vogue but like all fads the hangers on and wannabees will soon pass on to the next must be a part of :yes:

yes you can get a lambretta for less than 2 grand or for the price of a couple of ultra rare discs of black vinyl. :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest Sharon H

Personally I dont give a flying f**k who wears what at an event , each to their own in my opinion .It might not be to everyones taste to " dress up " but what the hell! ...and yes Debbie, Billy is a lovely bloke ......as someone once said "clothes do not maketh the man"

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

yes you can get a lambretta for less than 2 grand or for the price of a couple of ultra rare discs of black vinyl. :hatsoff2:

ive seen a GT200 pass hands for 10k and to think i only paid £80 for one in 85 :ohmy:

Social source share

Hurray, I was just about to start another ovo topic but this seems like fun and gets the old glogger movin :thumbsup: For me those soulie cirlce skirts look shite whether on a kid or a lady with a bus pass !!! Uhhh I like upfront and oldies allnighter BUT OVO rules must be applied at all times, I do stroke my chin occasionally once the brain gets hit with...............................................an awful track or the odd knuckle sandwhich, I also dance all night (pretty good I am told), talk gibberish (quite often I am told) and being a nuisanse (not that often) to my neighbours once I am safely in my own yard after a good night out.... :elvis:

But in the end just were and do what ya friggin want & be happy :thumbsup:

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

The chap with the check trousers is a friend of mine called Billy & is a really nice guy.

I think your very shallow to judge people by the way they dress.

The funny thing is that it's always the same people moaning......Get a life!

Apologies to you and Billy it wasn't him i was looking for , photo removed (I think) Edited by allnightandy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Sorry Kev no offence to you, but i do feel that putting a photo on of a chap & taking the mick out of his choice of clothing is quite personal

have removed photos

ask all try and show a bit of respect to members contributions on here

I would guess that the member didn't post them to be used in such a thread as this

if you do want to comment on photos in the gallery then do it via the gallery comments

that way the person who posted the photo is aware

Edited by mike
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Personally I dont give a flying f**k who wears what at an event , each to their own in my opinion .It might not be to everyones taste to " dress up " but what the hell! ...and yes Debbie, Billy is a lovely bloke ......as someone once said "clothes do not maketh the man"

Actually they said they do:

"...the apparel oft proclaims the man." - Polonius in Hamlet

Which is why I always wear Primark. :thumbsup:

Social source share