In Fear Of

Guest allnightandy

an afterthought. why not get a retro look going along the lines of "those who refused to tow the line 71-74 a la tony jebb and colin curtis'. there'll be massive run on crushed velvet pants, cheesecloth shirts and chelsea boots, I'll bet.

But wern't they wearing it for the same reasons a la throw backs from their times the hippy era , 60'etc ?
Social source share

do you think so andy? why would messrs jebb and curtis have favoured a look which was anathema to the people they were spinning sounds for? maybe just a desire to be a cut above the pack? mavericks? anyhow, crushed velvet 'pants', hats, scarves, neckerchiefs etc sound more pimp-like to me than hippy... this period is before my time. perhaps only tezza, mal, nige, jez etc can answer the question for us...

Social source share

I've kept out of this argument on purpose . I have give up moaning about how awful the look is today. That aside the original post is on about the scene in general , or that is how I've read it .

I must admit the youngsters who are coming through do look cool as we looked just as cool back in the day ( I think ) . Now as for the originals and the re-issues ( older folk who missed the train first time round , or were not even born ) they do look rather silly to say the least .

50% of them do not really know why they dress like that . It would help if the clothes DID actually look like the way they did then , two coloured skirts with matching tops and ribbons , or baggie trouser that end at the knees , sorry but not how it used to be

A fair ammount of these ''Soulies '' think it's about the clothes and posting a piccie or two on here ,it's not it's about the music , it always was and always will be not to and prance around doing spins and ending up the other side of the room , a back drop and ending up looking like a coffee table . They have no idea what the name of the record is that they are dancing to or where it was played or what label it is on (thats another argument ) . I am so glad I was part of 60-70's soul scene Sorry getting carried away . Anyway , just my thoughts

Class post, the image of the dancers made me choke on my lunch.

post-18939-0-06791600-1337256382.jpg

post-18939-0-61687800-1337256634_thumb.j

Edited by nickp
Social source share

Guest miss nancy

I don't really remember anyone wearing ribbons and bunches with matching trim on skirts back in the day? When I first got into ns I did get a full black circle skirt with a bib attached (not a baby's bib - you know like dungarees but a skirt) which I wore with a little white t-shirt and the flat sandals and ankle socks! - in my defence I was only 15 and desperately wanted to fit in. I dressed like this for less than 6 months so it is with some surprise I see that some ladies are dressing this way some 30 plus years later!

I think it's more a nostalgia thing than anything else? I personally think it would be off putting to younger crowds as it can look a little like fancy dress ... and to be honest I can't imagine what I would look like now in ankle socks and ribbons ... spinning around like a dervish!!

Social source share

why does one need any kind of uniform, high key or low key?

We don't really, but the musical like is uniform and the Loakes, Levis & Ben Sherman look is probably a comfort thing.

Secretly we still think it's a coolish look - lot of ex mods n'all ...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'd agree with that Simsy. If I felt inclined to wear something that 'identified' me today, it'd be a sta-press, blazer, slazenger jumper, ben sherman, brogues etc. Someone recently gave me some lapel badges, palmer, ric-tic etc. i couldn't possibly use them without feeling a bit mutton dressed as a lamb though. perhaps I'm too hung up, who knows...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've been searching the internet for the past while trying to find an image of a pair of 80's skinhead/rude boy loafers I have. They have a perforated front and (should) have crossed over tassels.

I stupidly removed the tassels some years ago, been trying to find an image in an attempt to obtain some new tassels.

Does anyone remotely know what I'm on about?

Social source share

I've been searching the internet for the past while trying to find an image of a pair of 80's skinhead/rude boy loafers I have. They have a perforated front and (should) have crossed over tassels.

I stupidly removed the tassels some years ago, been trying to find an image in an attempt to obtain some new tassels.

Does anyone remotely know what I'm on about?

2nipple_tassels.jpg

:wicked:

Social source share

I maybe a little older than some on here,im 57 ,I did wear the bags for a couple of years around 72 ish then came the suede head stuff ,dead smart two tone tonic suits, with creasers you could shave with ,oh and crombie overcoats, even now always wear a suit if i go out,getting dressed up was a part of the whole thing back then,but bags circle skirts white belts white socks towels tucked into white belts is fancy dress ,very sad

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Yup got a pair of these in black. My original rude boy one's though (above) seem to be the 'Shrine' of loafers, I can't find anything on them anywhere!

These are still available , but like you say can't find any originals 'Just reissues !
Social source share

someone said that baggies put young'ns off ? perhaps we should all start to wear our trouses with the crotch round our knees and half yer arse and pants showing ,thats a young look aint it ? do you lot really think its baggie trousers that put young n's off

Or perhaps the ladies ought to wear their skirts up around the arse and adorned in primark instead of those twirly skirts , im sure that would bring more young'ns in too..

this is really a very sad thread with it seems some people local to me nailing themselves to the mast.

its just amazing how hung up people are with sod all to do than slag off people who love soul music just because of the cloths they wear, i bet they all think they look bloody fantastic when they go out too lol , leave people alone , concentrate on the music and fun , life will be so much better for you , sad sad people

chud

ps mr moderator , have i done ok this time ? :) lol

Edited by chud
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

]

chud

You was doing well until this bit, really is no need. You've only made three posts and they have been either abusing other members or having a go at others.

People are entitled to their opinion, just like you. This is a forum where differing opinions are debated.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

You was doing well until this bit, really is no need. You've only made three posts and they have been either abusing other members or having a go at others.

People are entitled to their opinion, just like you. This is a forum where differing opinions are debated.

sorry chalky , im tryin me best ,and i may be avin a bit of a pop , but hey some of em are avin a go at people themselves arnt they, I think they have said some really not nice and hurtful things, and I am an ogre afterall, its to be expected :facepalm:

chud

Edited by chud
Social source share

I was never into that Wigan uniform thing, I'd moved on by the late 70s, most were like sheep & would wear anything to conform to the scene, for me it had stopped being cool by then.

But earlier on, when I was a whipper snapper my older brother & his mates all got their trousers taylor made at Hepworths or John Colliers (these are the days long before those stupid Spencers mail order sails from the back of Black Echoes etc), now those taylor made trousers were cool works of art in my mind, from memory, probably 14 inch parallels, tunnel loop, ticket pockets, buttoned back pocket flaps, zip waste adjusters, sometimes sewn in pleats, all kinds of little add ons just to make them exclusive, I used to look at them in awe.

Aid.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest proudlove

Tailor made.........40 years now.....funnily enough,the only thing I ever had a badge on was my school blazer.....

A previous poster asked if people turned up in Hillman Avengers and Ford Cortinas.......How about a 2 door Ford Corsair GT..........

Social source share

Nice tassles Mr C, being on the Rockin scene & into Burlesque i would wear those too :wicked:

Now you're just trying to excite me! I'll expect pictures next time I buy a record off ya! :hypo:

Social source share

someone said that baggies put young'ns off ? perhaps we should all start to wear our trouses with the crotch round our knees and half yer arse and pants showing ,thats a young look aint it ? do you lot really think its baggie trousers that put young n's off

Or perhaps the ladies ought to wear their skirts up around the arse and adorned in primark instead of those twirly skirts , im sure that would bring more young'ns in too..

this is really a very sad thread with it seems some people local to me nailing themselves to the mast.

its just amazing how hung up people are with sod all to do than slag off people who love soul music just because of the cloths they wear, i bet they all think they look bloody fantastic when they go out too lol , leave people alone , concentrate on the music and fun , life will be so much better for you , sad sad people

chud

I would question that remark , most do not know soul music , just owt thats a 120 mph . Soul music includes x/over , 70's , two-step , and more besides . And I did say most not all.

Tony

Social source share

I would question that remark , most do not know soul music , just owt thats a 120 mph . Soul music includes x/over , 70's , two-step , and more besides . And I did say most not all.

Tony

I like to think i know soul music but admit to having a preference to uptempo dancers rather than x/over
Social source share

Is there anyone out there who wears this garb willing to stand up , be counted, and post a reply to over 200 negative posts regarding your fashion sense ?

Why should anyone have to defend themselves and/or explain the clothes they choose to wear
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Why should anyone have to defend themselves and/or explain the clothes they choose to wear

Because of those we dare not mention for fear of reprisals...... (Soul Police)

:wicked::shhh:

Social source share

Tony

oh im'e sure they all bow down to you n' your vast knowledge of soul music as you walk (or float) into a venue , knowing that they have only been out and about for 30 40 years and know "nowt" as you say , i feel humble that you posted to me , I did not know i knew so little .

nick p ,From what i gather, I think most of them left here along time ago due to threads like this one insulting where there is no need, here in the east midlands there are loads who enjoy dressing that way (not me cos im'e too big ) they are well and into the music , go out two to three times EVERY weekend ,and have a great time , they are mostley top dancers too . Best thing is pop to somewhere like Kingsway hall and ask a few, much better than a keyboard eh?

chud

• Helpful 2
Social source share

oh im'e sure they all bow down to you n' your vast knowledge of soul music as you walk (or float) into a venue , knowing that they have only been out and about for 30 40 years and know "nowt" as you say , i feel humble that you posted to me , I did not know i knew so little .

nick p ,From what i gather, I think most of them left here along time ago due to threads like this one insulting where there is no need, here in the east midlands there are loads who enjoy dressing that way (not me cos im'e too big ) they are well and into the music , go out two to three times EVERY weekend ,and have a great time , they are mostley top dancers too . Best thing is pop to somewhere like Kingsway hall and ask a few, much better than a keyboard eh?

chud

chud

A) I do not have a vast knowledge , never said i had , never wil say I have . I have been going to soul events since 1970 so I have aquired a bit of knowledge , that is all .

B) I never questioned your knowledge of soul music and do not wish to .

C) please do not feel humbled , I was only stating a fact .

I do not wish to enter into a cyber war with anyone , maybe in private if needs be.

Social source share

A) I do not have a vast knowledge , never said i had , never wil say I have . I have been going to soul events since 1970 so I have aquired a bit of knowledge , that is all .

B) I never questioned your knowledge of soul music and do not wish to .

C) please do not feel humbled , I was only stating a fact .

I do not wish to enter into a cyber war with anyone , maybe in private if needs be.

ok mate , leave it at that .

chud

Social source share

Guest soul elite

Let people wear what they want, its what makes this scene! I do not wear circle skirts myself but think the Girls look good. Do we comment on you overweight men in your jeans that don't fit properly and the arse of the jeans hanging down.Don't pass comment on unless you are perfect yourself ........

Social source share

Let people wear what they want, its what makes this scene! I do not wear circle skirts myself but think the Girls look good. Do we comment on you overweight men in your jeans that don't fit properly and the arse of the jeans hanging down.Don't pass comment on unless you are perfect yourself ........

Starting a diet tomorrow did not realise how big my bum looks in my old levi's. :cheese1:
Social source share

I agree with Katrina (Soul Elite)......wear what you want!

When i go out, if its to a Soul night, Rockin night or 40s, i don't take any notice in what other people have on, i might see something i like & think to myself "that look's great!", but other than that im too busy chatting to friends, dancing or listening to the music.

I could not care less about the politics, i wear what i want & if folk don't like it then TOUGH!

I know this is an open forum, & people are allowed to voice their views, but please we must have something more interesting to talk about.....how many times do we go over the same old subject, lol....

Edited by Debbie Dee
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Tailor made.........40 years now.....funnily enough,the only thing I ever had a badge on was my school blazer.....

A previous poster asked if people turned up in Hillman Avengers and Ford Cortinas.......How about a 2 door Ford Corsair GT..........

Stop showing off !!!

Tony

Social source share

I agree with Katrina (Soul Elite)......wear what you want!

When i go out, if its to a Soul night, Rockin night or 40s, i don't take any notice in what other people have on, i might see something i like & think to myself "that look's great!", but other than that im too busy chatting to friends, dancing or listening to the music.

I could not care less about the politics, i wear what i want & if folk don't like it then TOUGH!

I know this is an open forum, & people are allowed to voice their views, but please we must have something more interesting to talk about.....how many times do we go over the same old subject, lol....

I think if you read back there was some interesting views posted from various viewpoints

but yep does seem that have now hit the talk about the talk stage

maybe time to wrap it up shortly unless anyone can take it off down some interesting road...

Social source share

Guest Byrney

chud

Have they been around for 30 40 years? Or just for 2 or 3 years in the 70s, a few I know fall into that catagory ( nowt wrong with that but lets not pretend all of them were there without a break) and again, why would anyone pop up to the kingsway and ask them? I'd have no problem giving my view face to face if it came into conversation as it has on here. Those that know me know that I'm a bit more forthright face to face then on here.

The nostalgia scene can do what they want, but those of us who's invested a big chunk of our lives on the Northern Soul scene can speak our mind can't we.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share