The Sink Club.. Liverpool... Short Film Of Its History

Great piece on this club .........

... it's strange how this club's story matches that of a place in Liverpool's 'twinned' city HULL.

Both were / are ports with the pluses & minuses that comes with that status. The L& Y Railway linked the cities, followed later by the M62. Eastern European immigrants heading for the US came into the UK at Hull & traveled across to Liverpool to catch a boat westwards.

Lots of links between the 2 cities and Hull had its own Sink Club in the 60's ......

... the Gondola was a coffee bar by day & a disco by night (the building didn't have a basement that was big enough to open to the public). So the coffee bar became a club and even hosted live singers (Chris Farlowe, etc) at times.

The local 'in-crowd' met up there -- no booze, you had to get a 'pass-out' & shoot round the corner to the White House pub.

Saturday afternoon & early evening was quite busy but many of the crowd would then head out (via Dony) to the Mojo allniters in Sheffield. The club's resident DJ, Ricky Dobbs, took his musical direction from the Mojo. A new big record at the Mojo was played to death at the Gondola a couple of weeks later.

When the Mojo had to swap to alldayers to try & prevent the council shutting it down, bus trips were run for Gondola regulars to attend the dayers.

So the Gondola was much like the Sink Club .... just displaced by around 130 miles.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Great stuff Steve. I tried to organise a regular soul event at the sink a couple of years ago. Problem is, it's so successful as a live music gig, they would only let me book it on a week day. As you walk down those stairs you can feel the history. Magic!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This film was done by Pat Costigan a good few years back... Just seen it posted on youtube and would like to share it with you... Had the pleasure of helping out on this project and meeting the original members and owner who passed away since..

A nice slice of history.....

Nice one Steve, great little film. :hatsoff2:

Jordi

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Well done Patrick Costigan, wherever you are.

This film is not only a well deserved tribute to Neil English but it's also a credit to you and your efforts to bring this club and it's benefactor to the attention of the World. I miss seeing you around. I hope you are happy and well.

Dennis.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Well done Patrick Costigan, wherever you are.

This film is not only a well deserved tribute to Neil English but it's also a credit to you and your efforts to bring this club and it's benefactor to the attention of the World. I miss seeing you around. I hope you are happy and well.

Dennis.

Yes indeed.. A labour of love from Pat and something he took great pride in putting together over a number of years... :hatsoff2:

Nice post Dennis....

Social source share

Great stuff Steve. I tried to organise a regular soul event at the sink a couple of years ago. Problem is, it's so successful as a live music gig, they would only let me book it on a week day. As you walk down those stairs you can feel the history. Magic!

not on your own you didnt :g:

Social source share

not on your own you didnt :g:

Sometimes we say i when we mean we.. II am sure Phil aint trying to take all the credit himself, its clear on the flyer/ promotion that it was a joint effort :hatsoff2:

Just thought i would drop that message in before it turns into something other than what the thread is about :D

A feel good film it seems and a nice way to pay respects to history of what we hold so dear..

Social source share

Sometimes we say i when we mean we.. II am sure Phil aint trying to take all the credit himself, its clear on the flyer/ promotion that it was a joint effort :hatsoff2:

Just thought i would drop that message in before it turns into something other than what the thread is about :D

A feel good film it seems and a nice way to pay respects to history of what we hold so dear..

it never got that far with phil as he already said on his original post , the only promotion after stan and pat in the original building was from me and tony we did the sunday nights again for a few months , before any of that i was a regular at the sunday nights in the sink along with denbo pete everett g farington and many others great sunday nights in liverpool at the sink in fact some of the best nights ive had at any venue . i remember the film being shown on the last night at the sink before stan pulled the plug :D

Edited by steptoe
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 years later...
Guest johnny hart

hi ,the Sink was Ace in the 60s,my early introduction to soul music ,ironically the one record which symbolises it for me was "walking my cat named dog "by Norma Tanega on Stateside,[how weird is that] Magic club,better than the;Mardi,Pep,and the horrible Cavern!

Social source share

Really enjoyed that, enjoyable and well made.

The Magnet was one of my regular haunts when I lived in Liverpool, a 5 minute walk from my flat, 5 minutes from the University I attended and another 5 minutes from one of the places I worked at (LIPA).

thanks for posting

Social source share

That is a fantastic slice of 1960's soul history and it mirrors the Room at the Top Wigan as well as the wheel and other soul n RnB clubs which were running parallel  all over the North  in most towns from 1963 onwards. it's quite obvious to even any doubting Thomas where Northern soul comes from by viewing this documentary on the Sink. I know i was around then.

Keep on Trucking MickL

Social source share

hi ,the Sink was Ace in the 60s,my early introduction to soul music ,ironically the one record which symbolises it for me was "walking my cat named dog "by Norma Tanega on Stateside,[how weird is that] Magic club,better than the;Mardi,Pep,and the horrible Cavern!

no offence Conchita never heard Norma Tanega played in any Soul Clubs I frequented in the 1960's and I visited plenty. :yes: God Bless Mick L

Social source share

Enjoyed the Sunday soul nights Stan and Pat used to put on and enjoyed the film. But the sink was never a soul music venue in the sixties any more than the cavern was so Ive been told.

The Sink was a soul club and ran regular soul n RnB  sessions in the mid to late 60's we,d heard about the Sink in 1966-67 in Wigan at the Room at the Top. You can't change history

Kind regards Mick L

Social source share

Just quoting some scouse soul fans I know mate. Love to see some play lists from these nights. Did you go Dennis?

Yes, I did. Not religiously but whenever I could. In the late 60s and as one of the resident DJs when Stan & Patrick started it back up again.

Social source share

I heard Norman played right across the board and included some soul music. Also weird Norman wasn't in the film ? I wonder why lol?

Norman was there at the start of the revamped Sink 'Soul Club' but I think he had a falling out with Stan & Patrick over the music policy. Like you said Chris, Norman played across the board stuff during the late 60s and tried to continue that way, which didn't go down well with S&P and the paying customers. That's probably why he didn't appear in the film. Although I thought he did? But it's been so long since I last saw the film I couldn't say for sure. I must take time out to watch it again.

Social source share

Norman was there at the start of the revamped Sink 'Soul Club' but I think he had a falling out with Stan & Patrick over the music policy. Like you said Chris, Norman played across the board stuff during the late 60s and tried to continue that way, which didn't go down well with S&P and the paying customers. That's probably why he didn't appear in the film. Although I thought he did? But it's been so long since I last saw the film I couldn't say for sure. I must take time out to watch it again.

Hi Denbo - He was in the film ...

post-4272-0-08285400-1421961640_thumb.jp

Social source share

I went to the sunday Sink in the early 2000s . I had a tape from the club but I lent it out and never got it back , maybe someone has a copy ? . I also have a 3rd anniversary cd from October 2003 .

Here are the sleeve notes ...

The sink club originally ran from 1963 to 1971and was owned and ran by Neil English , a jazz , r'n'b  and soul enthusiast who provided a club for kids of all races to attend and mix freely ( rare in the city at the time )

When the Magnet opened in 1999 it captured the ethos behind the original sink club and inspired Patrick and Stan to form the Sink Soul Club . a monthly event presenting original 60s soul sets in the relaxed atmosphere and unique décor of The Magnet .

Track list....

PATRICK COSTIGAN

In the basement - Etta James & Sugar Pie DeSanto

Callin' all boys - Ruby Johnson

Steppin up in class - Jimmy McCrackin

I never knew - Clyde McPhatter

These kind of blues - Junior Parker

School time - Billy Boy Arnold

SINK TEAM RECORD

Well ! - The Olympics

STAN EVANS

From day to day -  Gene Chandler