The Sink Club.. Liverpool... Short Film Of Its History

I went to the sunday Sink in the early 2000s . I had a tape from the club but I lent it out and never got it back , maybe someone has a copy ? . I also have a 3rd anniversary cd from October 2003 .

Here are the sleeve notes ...

The sink club originally ran from 1963 to 1971and was owned and ran by Neil English , a jazz , r'n'b  and soul enthusiast who provided a club for kids of all races to attend and mix freely ( rare in the city at the time )

When the Magnet opened in 1999 it captured the ethos behind the original sink club and inspired Patrick and Stan to form the Sink Soul Club . a monthly event presenting original 60s soul sets in the relaxed atmosphere and unique décor of The Magnet .

Track list....

PATRICK COSTIGAN

In the basement - Etta James & Sugar Pie DeSanto

Callin' all boys - Ruby Johnson

Steppin up in class - Jimmy McCrackin

I never knew - Clyde McPhatter

These kind of blues - Junior Parker

School time - Billy Boy Arnold

SINK TEAM RECORD

Well ! - The Olympics

STAN EVANS

From day to day -  Gene Chandler

You got next to me baby - Bobby Adams

Little John - Sammie John

Don't start cryin' - Slim Harpo

Sweet thing - Bobby Dee

Tell me who - Big Maybelle

DENNIS HAW

Someones gonna cry - Val Martinez

Love , I won't be a fool anymore - Chuck Wright

Stolen angel - Scott Brothers

Hold me close - Wade Flemmons

No one can ever take your place - Sam Cook

Yesterdays kisses - Maxine Brown

PETER EVERETT

Don't you just know it - Huey 'piano' Smith

Ivory tower - Shirley & Jessie

You oughta quit that - Junior Wells

Big New York - Chuck Jackson

You better check yourself - Soul Brothers Six

Love the way you love - O.V Wright

KEVIN MURRAY ( tribute to Edwin Starr )

I have faith in you

Agent double o soul

Stop her on sight

Way over there

25 miles

war .

Still love all of those on my track list, especially Chuck Wright. The flip of which is just as good. I often played both sides out when I got the chance.  :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Guest gfarrington

brill that , seem to vaguely remember that day, and patrick doing some filming , he asked to to sprinkle some talc on the floor while being filmed , must has edited that bit lol

Social source share

Guest johnny hart

no offence Conchita never heard Norma Tanega played in any Soul Clubs I frequented in the 1960's and I visited plenty. :yes: God Bless Mick L

Mick,Gracias for your kind comment,some more ; Liverpool in the 60s was a sad reflection of a racial malaise which infested much of the UK. Iremember being turned away from all the mainstream Soul clubs in Downtown scouseland ,you can,t come in La , why ? your mate ,He,s not on ,why he was rspectable ,had a tie on ,worked with me in the Royal Liver Biuldings as Clerical Assistant in the Tax Office? because he was Afro carribean,,. So we gravitated to the L.pool 8 district blues clubs &Shabines where I  was welcome and grooved to Willie Tee, Prince Buster and Bob and Earl,the Sink was our starting point,    Nobody cared about your colour just the 5 bob or was it Half a $ to get in, Salud,adios Johnny Lol.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 5/12/2012 at 23:05, little-stevie said:

This film was done by Pat Costigan a good few years back... Just seen it posted on youtube and would like to share it with you... Had the pleasure of helping out on this project and meeting the original members and owner who passed away since..

A nice slice of history.....

Did anybody happen to copy the original You Tube posting above, before it was muted??? If so, please let me know, we'd love to have a copy so that we can reintroduce it in some way back onto The Sink Soul Club group page.

Edited by denbo
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!