Solomon Burke - (Artist Of The Week)

• Replies 15
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

well it seems to have posted it ok but its a bit big sorry ,technology and me really dont seem to mix

A 'bit big'? It's a Monster sound. I couldn't believe my ears when I first heard it on the Alan Freeman show on a Sunday afternoon in 1962 amongst all the dross he usually played. Luckily I had my Grundig tape recorder poised in case I heard anything good and was able to record this very tinnily since it was off a Transistor Radio (what?) which I played over & over until I got a copy (and still have it). I bought all his London & Black Atlantic stuff. I used to have an Atlantic LP that had about an extra 2/3 seconds in the fade out which made it an even greater listen for me.

Social source share

Love 'Suddenly', and 'Down in the Valley' he has some great stories in book I was reading some time ago, as always I have a crap memory for names, but it spoke about him being a Minister while in the recording studio's at Atlantic, supposedly there was a steady stream of parishioners seeking his blessing in between takes..

Also mentions the gig to get at theaters was not only to perform, but get the right to sell refreshments in between the shows, that's where they made their money. There is one occasion where he orders a colossal amount of Popcorn, and half the city is feasting on the stuff...

I'll pull it out cause its one of the best bits or reading on him I've seen..

Mal.C

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Love 'Suddenly', and 'Down in the Valley' he has some great stories in book I was reading some time ago, as always I have a crap memory for names, but it spoke about him being a Minister while in the recording studio's at Atlantic, supposedly there was a steady stream of parishioners seeking his blessing in between takes..

Also mentions the gig to get at theaters was not only to perform, but get the right to sell refreshments in between the shows, that's where they made their money. There is one occasion where he orders a colossal amount of Popcorn, and half the city is feasting on the stuff...

I'll pull it out cause its one of the best bits or reading on him I've seen..

Mal.C

I think it is probably Nowhere to Run by Gerri Hirshey, pretty sure that has a section on him. It is mentioned in a few books, but that is great as it is generally the artists telling their story if I remember rightly. Unless you mean a book on SB, in which case would love to get details.

I saw him live a couple of times over last 10 years, and he still had a voice, even though he could hardly walk.

Fantastic singer, Cry To Me is hard to beat but there are some great stuff, love his Bell releases. Wonderful singer, fantastic character!

Social source share

• 7 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!