Bobby Joy Question

Anyone know anything about the Bobby Joy "Sweet Devil You" Sentry 103? It states Philly production but I can't ascertain if it's a Philadelphia label or not? With the TRC release adding to the confusion....any help would be appreciated.

Anyone got any other releases on the label?

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

The arrangers on these 2 cuts were Robert Banks (NY/ NJ based) and Lawrence 'Larry' Lucie.

Larry Lucie was New York based & a top jazz guitarist whose career went back to the 1940's.

He played with loads of the top jazz big bands & then got into recording work, shows & music teaching.

In the mid to late 70's, he cut tracks for his own Toy Records but I don't think this label was connected with the early 70's Toy label that put out soul stuff.

In the 1960's, Larry arranged cuts for Joe Haywood (a vocalist / drummer from Spartanburg, SC). Joe had earlier been a member of Larry Lucie's band. Joe Haywood's tracks were released on Bobby Robinson's Enjoy and Fury labels (NY based) plus on Deesu (NOla) but Deesu's Marshall Sehorn had close links with Bobby Robinson.

So, it seems the 2 arrangers on the Bobby Joy sessions were New York based but don't know if Sentry Records was out of Philly or NJ / NY.

Hope this helps.

Social source share

I always thought NY, because of Larry Lucie.

Hi Tony, hope you're well Matey.

Exactly. But the disc definitely states "A Philly Production". I know Cameo Parkway had a Sentra subsidy but when I asked around the city a couple of weeks ago no one seemed to know anything about the Sentry label. I know it's not an absolute but with the Bobby Joy being #103, I was kinda hoping someone may have copies of 101 or 102.

Onwards and Upwards!

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!