Years Ago...for A Moment...this Was Northern Soul....is It Now?

Guest Brooky

Guest Brooky

Years ago...for a moment...this was Northern Soul....is it now?

Anyone heard this played out in the last 30 years?

post-26636-0-17785700-1336952844_thumb.j

Great label...almost as good as Tommy Bush on Rika!!! :thumbup:

Edited by Brooky
Social source share

Are you sure about this? Manship's site states that this is the original, plus the lady herself is credited as co-writer.

OK, first of all I shouldn't have posted because this is the first time I had heard of the nanette workman 45, I just googled it and heard it and recognized the song as Labelle's huge hit so I assumed it was a cover. My post wasn't informed at all.

However, I just looked into it and it really looks like the workman 45 was second. First of all the Labelle single came out in 1974. Discogs lists the workman single as 1975.

Second of all, the Labelle single just credits Bob Crewe and Kenny Nolan. The single above has more writers in the credits. This usually would indicate that Workman's single was a derivative composition. Her name is not on the Labelle single.

Based on actually looking into it (I still am not an expert on it at all), it really looks like the Labelle 45 was first.

Social source share

also there are two names added to the workman 45, and they are nanette and another person, both of whom are listed as arranger on the workman 45, but are not mentioned in any way on the epic 45. It really seems like they had nothing to do with the labelle release.

Social source share

Years ago...for a moment...this was Northern Soul....is it now?

I think that was the beauty of the northerm Soul scene back then things did just quickly come and go with all sorts of wierd things being played without too much navel gazing about OVO, label variations and rarity !

• Helpful 1
Social source share

also, one more thing, this is a copyright renewal entry which references the original '74 entry which was only written by Nolan and Crewe. Sometimes people are left off the label but the actual copyright record is probably correct.

Type of Work: Music Registration Number / Date: RE0000852879 / 2002-01-02 Renewal registration for: EP0000320361 / 1974-01-21 Title: Lady Marmalade. Notes: Words & music. Copyright Claimant: Bob Crewe & Kenny Nolan (A) Names: Crewe, Bob Nolan, Kenny

• Helpful 1
Social source share

the extra names maybe cause that this version is in french completly

have to smile as can remember buying this blind back then as a new import

without clicking that was a version of this till of course played it

the sellers list had described it at some sort of best thing ever 45

must have been 14 then but can still remember that der of course it is.. moment

Social source share

I think that was the beauty of the northerm Soul scene back then things did just quickly come and go with all sorts of wierd things being played without too much navel gazing about OVO, label variations and rarity !

A very interesting 'snapshot' of the entire scene as it was, has been and has now become....The postings I mean....Some light-hearted and carrying a sense of flippant fun as opposed to earnest, almost desperate one-upmanship and scholarly research....Of course they all have their place and I do a fair bit of label analysis/navel gazing myself, but like you, can't help yearning for the more innocent days of the 70s some times..... :yes:

Social source share

"Perfect for today's scene"........"ripe for revival"............."great 'funky Northern' dancer"....................... :rolleyes:

:lol: ,it would have been heard, for a short while, mixed in amongst others,Ann Sexton,Mel Britt,George Blackwell,Jerry Fuller,Rimshots,MVP's..etc....

Social source share

A very interesting 'snapshot' of the entire scene as it was, has been and has now become....The postings I mean....Some light-hearted and carrying a sense of flippant fun as opposed to earnest, almost desperate one-upmanship and scholarly research....Of course they all have their place and I do a fair bit of label analysis/navel gazing myself, but like you, can't help yearning for the more innocent days of the 70s some times..... :yes:

I wasn't part of the scene so I was commenting that it was amusing that a crappy white disco cover of a labelle song would be important at some point in time. Obviously there is a lot more context that I'm missing and it could be very important to some people in some situations at some point in their lives. Someone questioned that it was a cover so I looked into it.

On the other hand, you can't seem to respond to anyone without a totally insulting pretentious attitude. Also, I'm still not part of "the scene" so you probably shouldn't take my postings on an internet message board as indicative of anything.

Social source share

wasn't that hard to work out that your post above was not going to go down well with one member who you have had public scrapes with before

had enough drama last week with one of your ill thought out posts

ask you to start thinking before posting

Social source share

Blimey, it was only a casual comment, just noticed MIKE L's comment and it rang a bell for me........Perfectly happy to apologise to BOB A if he was upset by it...But reading it back, surely I have balanced it out by stating that i indulge in label/gazing.navel gazing myself and that 'they all have a place'.....And anybody who knows our scene knows full well we all, virtually every one of us indulge in 'one-upmanship' as regards record knowledge at some time, it is part of the life-blood of the scene surely? As such surely you can see it was not a specific dig at him? I just cannot see how he reaches the point where he states...

' On the other hand, you can't seem to respond to anyone without a totally insulting pretentious attitude. Also, I'm still not part of "the scene" so you probably shouldn't take my postings on an internet message board as indicative of anything.

In my own defence that is a gross and rather dramatic exaggeration MIKE...Whilst I may be opinionated, lots of people are on here and I could point to countless posts wherein I have agreed with people totally or they have agreed totally with me. Yesterday in the Football Forum, somebody called my post 'Very humble'. Somewhat of a massive dichotomy there as regards the above paragraph surely?

Having said that, like I said, I apologise sincerely to him if he took that comment personally. BOB, it was not meant as such a dig as you have conceived, it really wasn't it. If it was I would not bother responding like this, believe you me.

I can only offer that apology MIKE, in the same way as I did, fully and openly the other day....If he wants to believe that I am a heartless and insensitive man with some type of personal agenda, I cannot do anything else, hopefully he will accept it. Not much else I can say or do?....

Edited by rich chorley
Social source share

I wasn't part of the scene so I was commenting that it was amusing that a crappy white disco cover of a labelle song would be important at some point in time. Obviously there is a lot more context that I'm missing and it could be very important to some people in some situations at some point in their lives. Someone questioned that it was a cover so I looked into it.

On the other hand, you can't seem to respond to anyone without a totally insulting pretentious attitude. Also, I'm still not part of "the scene" so you probably shouldn't take my postings on an internet message board as indicative of anything.

'crappy white' ?
Social source share

Blimey, it was only a casual comment, just noticed MIKE L's comment and it rang a bell for me........Perfectly happy to apologise to BOB A if he was upset by it...But reading it back, surely I have balanced it out by stating that i indulge in label/gazing.navel gazing myself and that 'they all have a place'.....And anybody who knows our scene knows full well we all, virtually every one of us indulge in 'one-upmanship' as regards record knowledge at some time, it is part of the life-blood of the scene surely? As such surely you can see it was not a specific dig at him? I just cannot see how he reaches the point where he states...

' On the other hand, you can't seem to respond to anyone without a totally insulting pretentious attitude. Also, I'm still not part of "the scene" so you probably shouldn't take my postings on an internet message board as indicative of anything.

In my own defence that is a gross and rather dramatic exaggeration MIKE...Whilst I may be opinionated, lots of people are on here and I could point to countless posts wherein I have agreed with people totally or they have agreed totally with me. Yesterday in the Football Forum, somebody called my post 'Very humble'. Somewhat of a massive dichotomy there as regards the above paragraph surely?

Having said that, like I said, I apologise sincerely to him if he took that comment personally. BOB, it was not meant as such a dig as you have conceived, it really wasn't it. If it was I would not bother responding like this, believe you me.

I can only offer that apology MIKE, in the same way as I did, fully and openly the other day....If he wants to believe that I am a heartless and insensitive man with some type of personal agenda, I cannot do anything else, hopefully he will accept it. Not much else I can say or do?....

just think what you are posting is what am I saying

no surprise to me that you would get such a reply due to the wording you used

end of matter as far as am concerned, ask take it to feedback if really wish to continue to discuss

Social source share

Guest Brooky

Just to clarify....I was comparing the label design only with Tommy Bush on Rika.

Also re the 'crappy white' reference....it was only the instrumental that was played...NEVER the vocal.......

After all these years I have to confess that I probably like this (the instrumental) more now than I did back in 1976 when I bought it......amazing that it was ever even considered as Northern though....I think it must have been the label....I mean a label like that should have a great Northern Biggie on it, shouldn't it!

Edited by Brooky
Social source share

Years ago...for a moment...this was Northern Soul....is it now? Anyone heard this played out in the last 30 years?

post-26636-0-17785700-1336952844_thumb.j

Great label...almost as good as Tommy Bush on Rika!!! :thumbup:

Good question. There's probably many like this one that would never get a spin anywhere today.

Social source share

Winstanley again......I do have a copy of this somewhere.....probably never going to play it again....Bob A - Just as possible that Workman's name was "taken off" as "added", but that being said am about 75% sure that Labelle came first.

Social source share

Winstanley again......I do have a copy of this somewhere.....probably never going to play it again....Bob A - Just as possible that Workman's name was "taken off" as "added", but that being said am about 75% sure that Labelle came first.

translating the song completely into french would be my take for the added credits

wikipedia has a bit of info about it which sort of backs it up

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think it's much more unlikely that she and her arranger collaborated with two major songwriters / producers from another country, to write songs for a major act on epic, and then had their named removed in the actual copyright record and the record itself.

Social source share

I bought a bag of records off a workmate a few years ago 97 in total, Nanette Workman was in there along with some other strange stuff. Stand Up, The Maskman And The Agents, [part 1 and 11] Shocking! Psycho-part 1 and 11, The Fabulous Mark 111, even more shocking.

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

If I write a book, and you translate it into French, you get a credit on the writing side of things.

I don't see this being any different.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!