Describing Music...good, Bad Or Ugly

Guest uniglam

Guest uniglam

Hi,

I am a researcher from the University of Glamorgan. We are currently working on a project looking at the identity of music fans.

I am looking for some Soul fans to complete a short study looking at how they describe different types of music and music fans. The study takes 5-10 minutes and is very easy, you literally have to pick words to describe different types of music. If you'd like to have a go please click the link below and it will take you straight to the page.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WPQM28J

This task is one part of a much larger study so if you are interested in the study in general please feel free to email me on dbowers@glam.ac.uk and I will answer any questions that you have. I am also looking for a few people to do some online interviews with. This would basically be a case of discussing music, why you love it, how you became a fan in the first place etc. You get a lot more freedom in terms of the answers you can give in this kind of study and this is great as I am really interested in what you think about music in general! If you would like to take part in this aspect of the study please email me and I will get back to you asap.

I hope I'm not annoying anyone by posting here - I'm very sorry if I am!

Thanks

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I am sorry, but this survey requires participants to have very inflexible ideas about music and cultural genres.

I'm not a fan of the 'rock' genre, but that doesn't preclude me from liking an occasional track that some might want to classify as falling under that heading. And I cannot possibly stereotype absolutely everyone who likes classical music/rock/pop according to a checklist. It's nonsense and incredibly divisive.

People judge people - and songs - on merit. Well, intelligent people do, anyway.

If tribalism in culture is what is being explored here, why not just stick to something more obvious such as football: "I hate you cos you're a Gooner (or whatever). "All [insert name of team here] fans are sh*te because..."

You'd get more in the way of black and white results there, if that's what you're looking for.

Whilst the people here can be immature from time to time (myself included), I don't think I'd class any member as being juvenile to the degree that they'd have such inflexible world views on so broad a subject matter. Possibly you may get better results from behind the school bike sheds, or from the kids that hang around outside your local McDonalds late at night...

Alternatively, you should build an options into your survey that allow participants to say: I am not a music Nazi and do not judge people based on the type of music they like or the clothes they wear.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!