Collecting Uk Tamla Motown 45's

dob

i want to start collecting uk tamla motown 45's and would like some info on how to tell the originals and re-issues apart and any other info i.e. solid centres etc so i don't fall foul of buying re-issues or whatever,...thanks in advance dob

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

There are a number of books that will help,the one that toad mentions and record collector price guide has lots of usefull info too.Also a solid centre does not nesisarily make any of them reissues ,but some of the 500 & 600 and later ones got reissues with the same cat no. and to sort out witch is witch you need to look at font size and in some cases the lack of the disclamer "sold in uk etc" it can be a bit of a mine field when you first start but there are plenty of people who will help.

It may also prove to be an expencive label to collect depending how far you intend going with it ,especially if you want to go down the route of having all the UK releases on LONDON, FONTANA, ORIOLE, STATESIDE and all the TMG and TME (Eps)

Social source share

I don't think you need a book. You'll find listings here of all the UK Tamla Motown releases.

https://www.broadwayboogaloo.co.uk/boogooA56.htm

Look for the lowest release number of the one's you're interested in e.g. The Velvelettes - These Things Will Keep Me Loving You - original release TMG580, reissued in 70s as TMG 780.

Several got pressed more than once under the same release number but with small differences in print font, but I would consider these all to be originals provided, as mentioned earlier, they have "Sold subject to..." up to TMG703.

Pictures of many are available at:

https://www.45cat.com/45_search.php?sq=tmg+501&sm=se

Alan

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!