Nottingham Palais

Much of my Northern Soul early life centered around the Palais All Dayers, mid to late seventies. For this reason there are many records that for me, are Palais records. I often wondered if other people would put the same records to the same venue (they were obviously played elsewhere at the time). Here's a few that I'm talking about (I could list loads). Anyone with any memories?

You Won't Say Nothing - Tamala Lewis

You've Got To Love Your Baby - Millionaires

Up And Over - Jay Traynor

Strange Change - Herb Ward

This Man In Love - New Wanderers

Trick Me Treat Me - Cobblestone

Statue - Tommy Sands . . .

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Started my time on the scene in 78 at the Palais.

One record that stands out for me at the Palais is Lester Tipton, this won't change. Not just because it's quality but because of the crowds thunderous claps at the right times.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

I started going in spring 1980. One thing I noticed was a couple of ex chart Northern sounds that had been re-activated and played to a packed dance floor. E.g Love On A Mountain Top (with some solid clapping) and Everything's Gonna Be Alright. It's the only time I've heard LOMT played at a dayer or nighter.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Much of my Northern Soul early life centered around the Palais All Dayers, mid to late seventies. For this reason there are many records that for me, are Palais records. I often wondered if other people would put the same records to the same venue (they were obviously played elsewhere at the time). Here's a few that I'm talking about (I could list loads). Anyone with any memories?

deffo biggies :yes:

also a Big Rob Smith spin during those days was Hank Diamond-Soul sauce, another was the Motown girlie spin: Hang on Bill-Little Lisa. I remember Love on amountain top being a big spin too.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yep I went to the dayers and nighters. Started in 78/9 I guess.

I like all of the above - except, Cobblestone is shite! :yes::wicked: Mm, come to think of it I'm not sure that "is that you, that you baby" has any merit either. I did like it when everyone shoved there arms up in the chorus!

:thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Yep I went to the dayers and nighters. Started in 78/9 I guess.

I like all of the above - except, Cobblestone is shite! :yes::wicked: Mm, come to think of it I'm not sure that "is that you, that you baby" has any merit either. I did like it when everyone shoved there arms up in the chorus!

I thought "Statue" was great at the time, now it doesn't seem to have any soul at all. The same probably goes for Cobblestone.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't know why but "Love On A Mountain Top" seemed to get something of a revival at both the Palais and the Locarno at the same time. Even Sam played it at the Locarno on more than one occasion.

Personally, one of my fave records from the Palais dayers was Toni Basil's "Breakaway". Rob Smith was forever hammering it but it just sounded so good blasting through that sound system.

Happy days! :yes:

Steve

Edited by soulman
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I don't know why but "Love On A Mountain Top" seemed to get something of a revival at both the Palais and the Locarno at the same time. Even Sam played it at the Locarno on more than one occasion.

Personally, one of my fave records from the Palais dayers was Toni Basil's "Beakaway". Rob Smith was forever hammering it but it just sounded so good blasting through that sound system.

Happy days! :yes:

Steve

LOMT rubbish! :wicked:

Break Away - Tony Basil, cracking tune!

Social source share

One record that always reminds me of the Palais on a Monday Night was Jackie Edwards - Feel So Bad, this was way back in the late 60's and early 70's. If I remember Monday Night was for a younger crowd and we were always trying to get in the Bali Hi downstairs. Then of course later as we got a bit older there was "Grab a Granny" on a Wednesday Night (Over 21's), boy I have some wonderful memories of the Palais

Mick Knight was the Manager of the Palais, whose Mum used to be my Dinner Lady at Daybrook Junior School and they lived together on Edwin Street in Daybrook if I remember right.

Some great nights down there never to be forgotten!

Skeeny

• Helpful 1
Social source share

One record that always reminds me of the Palais on a Monday Night was Jackie Edwards - Feel So Bad, this was way back in the late 60's and early 70's. If I remember Monday Night was for a younger crowd and we were always trying to get in the Bali Hi downstairs. Then of course later as we got a bit older there was "Grab a Granny" on a Wednesday Night (Over 21's), boy I have some wonderful memories of the Palais

Mick Knight was the Manager of the Palais, whose Mum used to be my Dinner Lady at Daybrook Junior School and they lived together on Edwin Street in Daybrook if I remember right.

Some great nights down there never to be forgotten!

Skeeny

Social source share

they are all faves of mine too....i love the tunes from "The Palais", youve got great taste mate !

chud

Edited by chud
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Funnily enough I did a small piece on the Palais for my SouledOn Soul Facebook page a few days ago :) A lot of emmotional connections with that place for reasons you'll see below

"Through these doors pass some of the most beautiful girls in the world"

By Martyn Johnson in Souled On Soul ·

That was the famous and now legendary sign located above the entrance to the Nottingham Palais de Danse one of the many traditional dance hall venues owned by the Mecca Leisure group.

I have a long and fond relationship with the old Notts Palais. My hometown regular all dayer venue it's the place where the first Sunday in very month we would go and offer worship and praise to the great god Northern Soul. Our own shrine to all things soul. But my relationship with this venerable Nottingham landmark started much earlier in my life and carries much more emotional attachment than simply being a placed where we danced our youth away to great dollops of soulful tunes and partaking of a chicken in a basket meal if we saved enough pennies to purchase grub in the restaurant downstairs. Normally we were restricted to the sandwiches and coka cola we could cram into our Adidas sports bags.

My first encounter with the Palais came about 1971. I was 9 years old and it was Christmas. Why was I at the Palais in 1971? At Christmas? Well it was a Christmas party being held for all the children of the staff who worked at the Palais. And my late father was one of the doormen at the time. My mum and my dad separated when I was about 6 years old. Because of my dad's work he would have access to us on Sundays so we only ever really got to see him once a week. To keep his head above water he took on a job as a doorman at the Palais in his spare time, a job which he held from about 1968 to 1980ish. Now in those days doormen weren't the breed they are today. Nothing of the brutish thug looks which so typifies the modern day equivalent. My dad was always smartly dressed and I use to love watching him getting ready for work complete with his bow tie and liberal spraying of Cossack for Men hairspray (it was the early 70's ffs). I still have that velvet bow tie locked away in a box of keepsakes and memories. So in 1971 I found myself in this wonderful exotic place called the Bali Hai with strange looking plastic trees, surrounded by sandwiches, cakes and jelly, listening to "Chirpy Cheep Cheep" by Middle Of The Road. At one stage Mike Knight, the manager of the Palais for as long as I could remember shoved a microphone under my nose and asked me a few questions but I couldn't answer them, I was far too shy and embarrassed. Little did I know at the time that this place would become my second home, the place where I would hone my skills on Space Invaders when Soul Sam took to the decks (I admit I was far too young to really appreciate Mr Barnfather in those days).

Fast forward to 1978. A small group of young lads would gather in Gedling and make their way to the number 50 bus about 11am. This crowd was going to get bigger as the day progressed. Off we went into town. When we got there we would amble down from King Street to Broadmarsh where I would meet with my soul gal back then (Sharon Dring if anyone remembers). Then we would amble up through Hockley. I used to love the deserted streets. No Sunday shopping throngs back then, just a feeling of having the city to ourselves. And with every step forward the laughing and shouting of teenagers in baggy trousers and circle skirts filling the empty air, the excitement building. Finally Hockley was left behind and the Palais loomed into view in all her magnificence and glory. Our first opportunity to assess the size of the queue and who we could spot. We would always aim to get in the queue early and watch it build as worshipers from all over arrived. And of course by 1.30pm that queue was lost around the corner and the back of the building. By this time our small gathering of Gedling lads had certainly grown in size. Gail and Jackie Searcy, Dave and Kev Husbands, Pete and Chris Smith, Tommy Cragg, Andy Cannon, Colin Shipstone, Mick Hancock, Tony Allen, Martin Green, Curly, Podgy (Simon Hodgkinson??) Richard Kemp, Alan Bakewell.......no doubt there's a few more I've forgotten.

Then at quarter to two, a special moment. Up at the front of the queue there was my dad, resplendent in his suit and bow tie, hair neatly combed looking every inch the Dapper Dan and ladies man giving me a wave to come forward. I took Sharon by the hand, tapped Mark on the shoulder and told everyone we'd see them shortly and that was it, the 3 of us heading straight to the front doors, and in. No money changed hands, a cheery grunt from Mike Knight and we made a beeline to the big green sofas right under the DJ box to the left of the stage. And for 15 minutes we had the whole of the Palais de Danse to ourselves. We set up camp, we liberated the floor with a dosing of talc, we were joined by our mates later on and there we stayed until 10pm.

I love the Palais for giving me some of the best moments in my life.

I love the Palais for some of the most endearing and enduring friendships I have ever made.

I love the Palais for introducing me to the first girl who would ever break my heart and putting me off rum for life.

I love the Palais for taking me to a special place on a Monday night once a week and kicking the week off with a bang.

But most of all I love the Palais because I got see my dad.

You know that sign really should have been written "Through these doors pass some of the most beautiful SOULS in the world"

Nice one Martin!

Peter

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Funnily enough I did a small piece on the Palais for my SouledOn Soul Facebook page a few days ago :) A lot of emmotional connections with that place for reasons you'll see below

That was the famous and now legendary sign located above the entrance to the Nottingham Palais de Danse one of the many traditional dance hall venues owned by the Mecca Leisure group.

I have a long and fond relationship with the old Notts Palais. My hometown regular all dayer venue it's the place where the first Sunday in very month we would go and offer worship and praise to the great god Northern Soul. Our own shrine to all things soul. But my relationship with this venerable Nottingham landmark started much earlier in my life and carries much more emotional attachment than simply being a placed where we danced our youth away to great dollops of soulful tunes and partaking of a chicken in a basket meal if we saved enough pennies to purchase grub in the restaurant downstairs. Normally we were restricted to the sandwiches and coka cola we could cram into our Adidas sports bags.

My first encounter with the Palais came about 1971. I was 9 years old and it was Christmas. Why was I at the Palais in 1971? At Christmas? Well it was a Christmas party being held for all the children of the staff who worked at the Palais. And my late father was one of the doormen at the time. My mum and my dad separated when I was about 6 years old. Because of my dad's work he would have access to us on Sundays so we only ever really got to see him once a week. To keep his head above water he took on a job as a doorman at the Palais in his spare time, a job which he held from about 1968 to 1980ish. Now in those days doormen weren't the breed they are today. Nothing of the brutish thug looks which so typifies the modern day equivalent. My dad was always smartly dressed and I use to love watching him getting ready for work complete with his bow tie and liberal spraying of Cossack for Men hairspray (it was the early 70's ffs). I still have that velvet bow tie locked away in a box of keepsakes and memories. So in 1971 I found myself in this wonderful exotic place called the Bali Hai with strange looking plastic trees, surrounded by sandwiches, cakes and jelly, listening to "Chirpy Cheep Cheep" by Middle Of The Road. At one stage Mike Knight, the manager of the Palais for as long as I could remember shoved a microphone under my nose and asked me a few questions but I couldn't answer them, I was far too shy and embarrassed. Little did I know at the time that this place would become my second home, the place where I would hone my skills on Space Invaders when Soul Sam took to the decks (I admit I was far too young to really appreciate Mr Barnfather in those days).

Fast forward to 1978. A small group of young lads would gather in Gedling and make their way to the number 50 bus about 11am. This crowd was going to get bigger as the day progressed. Off we went into town. When we got there we would amble down from King Street to Broadmarsh where I would meet with my soul gal back then (Sharon Dring if anyone remembers). Then we would amble up through Hockley. I used to love the deserted streets. No Sunday shopping throngs back then, just a feeling of having the city to ourselves. And with every step forward the laughing and shouting of teenagers in baggy trousers and circle skirts filling the empty air, the excitement building. Finally Hockley was left behind and the Palais loomed into view in all her magnificence and glory. Our first opportunity to assess the size of the queue and who we could spot. We would always aim to get in the queue early and watch it build as worshipers from all over arrived. And of course by 1.30pm that queue was lost around the corner and the back of the building. By this time our small gathering of Gedling lads had certainly grown in size. Gail and Jackie Searcy, Dave and Kev Husbands, Pete and Chris Smith, Tommy Cragg, Andy Cannon, Colin Shipstone, Mick Hancock, Tony Allen, Martin Green, Curly, Podgy (Simon Hodgkinson??) Richard Kemp, Alan Bakewell.......no doubt there's a few more I've forgotten.

Then at quarter to two, a special moment. Up at the front of the queue there was my dad, resplendent in his suit and bow tie, hair neatly combed looking every inch the Dapper Dan and ladies man giving me a wave to come forward. I took Sharon by the hand, tapped Mark on the shoulder and told everyone we'd see them shortly and that was it, the 3 of us heading straight to the front doors, and in. No money changed hands, a cheery grunt from Mike Knight and we made a beeline to the big green sofas right under the DJ box to the left of the stage. And for 15 minutes we had the whole of the Palais de Danse to ourselves. We set up camp, we liberated the floor with a dosing of talc, we were joined by our mates later on and there we stayed until 10pm.

I love the Palais for some of the most endearing and enduring friendships I have ever made.

I love the Palais for introducing me to the first girl who would ever break my heart and putting me off rum for life.

I love the Palais for taking me to a special place on a Monday night once a week and kicking the week off with a bang.

You know that sign really should have been written "Through these doors pass some of the most beautiful SOULS in the world"

Lots of similarities for me, meet at the Man in Space at Hiltop, jump on the bus from Ripley to Nottingham, mooch down Parliment street I think and into the queue. Sure I remember the manager winding us up, walking along the queue saying if our shoes not polished were not getting in ;-) First place I met Shippo, remember Kempy, Tommy Cragg and Kevin Husbands too, no one would forget Curley of course. Good post mate.

Social source share

Guest southpaw

Nice post Martin I still see Tommy Cragg from time to time the last time I saw Pete Smith was at a Stafford Top of the world allnighter early 80's must look him up see how he's doing I see his brother Chris from time ot time,saw Curly yesterday he don't change mate.

Edited by southpaw
Social source share

I've not seen Tommy for nigh on 30 odd years. I heard he had some problems after dropping off the scene. I really liked Tommy a lot. Last saw Pete and Chris about 8 years ago coming out from Forest. I didn't even recognise them until Jarv sayed hello to them. I know Curly is around and about, just not bumped into each other yet but I'm sure we will soon. Oh and I met Andy Cannon again at the last Blackhearts nighter last month after 30 years. It was emmotional :)

Social source share

Guest southpaw

I've not seen Tommy for nigh on 30 odd years. I heard he had some problems after dropping off the scene. I really liked Tommy a lot. Last saw Pete and Chris about 8 years ago coming out from Forest. I didn't even recognise them until Jarv sayed hello to them. I know Curly is around and about, just not bumped into each other yet but I'm sure we will soon. Oh and I met Andy Cannon again at the last Blackhearts nighter last month after 30 years. It was emmotional :)

Our paths must have crossed mate :) another name from your list I remember Martin Green not seen him for years, Andy Cannon :) what a starr,yes Tom's living in Clifton now last time I saw him he seemed quite well, funny thing you mentioned about Chris & Forest one time he'd just got back from Anfield me & Tom Cragg dragged him too Stafford for a nighter great days.

Social source share

Guest southpaw

Lots of similarities for me, meet at the Man in Space at Hiltop, jump on the bus from Ripley to Nottingham, mooch down Parliment street I think and into the queue. Sure I remember the manager winding us up, walking along the queue saying if our shoes not polished were not getting in ;-) First place I met Shippo, remember Kempy, Tommy Cragg and Kevin Husbands too, no one would forget Curley of course. Good post mate.

That rings a bell Byrney mate.

Social source share

Our paths must have crossed mate :) another name from your list I remember Martin Green not seen him for years, Andy Cannon :) what a starr,yes Tom's living in Clifton now last time I saw him he seemed quite well, funny thing you mentioned about Chris & Forest one time he'd just got back from Anfield me & Tom Cragg dragged him too Stafford for a nighter great days.

no doubt. I went by the nickname "Bonk" back then if that rings any bells.

Social source share

Just remembered another.....

Guys From Uncle "The Spy". A strange but belting instrumental. I used the title as my "handle" when CB's were big only to find out that everyone thought I was a copper... just not so.

Steve

Just searched "The Spy" on Youtube. Haven't heard it in ages, probably since the Palais!! You've brought even more memories flooding back with the CB thing. Happy (but strange) days!

Social source share

notts palias my home town venue first went in 74 dj.s of the day were colin curtis , ian levine, dave evison a young johnathan woodliffe , john poole also and several other that slip my mind, must be an age thing. lol anyway attende every palias dayer and all the niters that followed d.jed ther in the bali hi saturday nie session i used to run in the early 80''s we used to do that then get a taxi to stafford's top of the world awesome times used to attend with mick .h ,dennis lambert , shaun turner, dave taylor ,tony garnett, the brit crowd of the day plus the colemans regulars. top palias sounds well there's been quiet a few but here go's

AL WILLIAMS " I AM NOTHING

BURNING BUSH " KEEPS ON BURNING "

DAMON FOX " IM PACKING UP "

FRANK BEVERLY " BECAUSE OF MY HEART "

MAGNETICS " LADY IN GREEN "

MAGNETICS " WHEN IM WITH MY BABY"

THATS JUST FOR STARTERS

great times and life long friends

atb steve phillis

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Lovely post Martyn , would Sharon be from Langley Mill by any chance ?

Social source share

@ MAK - thanks for the kind words and no she was from Cotgrave :-)

@ Steve Phillis- I remember you very well. Suprised not to have crossed paths again recently. Some great tunes you put up there :-)

Edited by MartynJJ
Social source share

hi martyn long time no see , i now live in huntingdon near st ives been down here for 9 years now occassionaly venture back to notts . the next time im up that way will be for andy riley's 50 atb steve

I gathered you had moved down south as it were. Seen you pop up on a few of Coop's images now and again. :) I do need to take in an East Anglian event. Any reccomends?

I've ended up over in Stockport. Got a thriving scene locally and some great youngsters picking up the movement but you know you can't beat a good old East Midlands shindig. Hopefully see you sooner rather than later :)

VBR

Martyn

Social source share

Just searched "The Spy" on Youtube. Haven't heard it in ages, probably since the Palais!! You've brought even more memories flooding back with the CB thing. Happy (but strange) days!

...............And what about Lainie Hill "Time Marches On". That was huge for a while at the Palais until it went, as we would term today "Viral". :D

Best

Steve

Social source share

• 4 years later...

The two I remember most at both the Palais and Coleman's were the Malibus - Gee Baby (I Love You),  and Johnny Ross and the Soul Explosions' version of I can't Help Myself - a 200mph belter. I bought both of them from Selectadisc but unfortunately they "disappeared" over the years. Managed to replace Johnny Ross recently, but the Malibus still elude me.  Last heard Gee Baby at Warwick Soul Club; I'd asked the DJ if he'd got it, and he said "not here", but went home to get it between sets :)

Took my Johnny Ross to the Night Owl in Brum last weekend for their 1st Anniversary, and after MUCH nagging they finally played it at 3:15 in the morning. Went mad on the floor :D 

Can't understand why these aren't played now, they were so BIG in '76.

Social source share

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2012 at 23:07, Grayman45 said:

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 00:29, Andi said:

Finally got the Malibus. Will be playing both (plus some Syvie Vartan) at True Blue at the Albany Club in Coventry on 16/12/16. Look forward to seening you there...

happy days 

Social source share

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2012 at 20:35, MartynJJ said:

heres a photo of some of the Palais staff circa 1974. Mike Knight is second from the right and my dad is the chap wearing the party hat

7211088150_697478f867.jpg

22nd April 2012 "Notts Palais Crew" by Souled On Soul, on Flickr

I still remember MK shouting from the steps and then whilst walking the queue checking us all out ..    BIG and fond memories of the venue I cut my teeth in.   never missed a soul do there,  from feb 78, until 83   (then the bank  hol sunday nights , late 90's)

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 14/05/2012 at 23:07, Grayman45 said:

Every one of those records to me are Casino tunes. Like you said they where playing at other venues so it really does come down to where you heard them as to where you get the memories 

Steve 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Outsiders,  JC Messina,  Kelly St Claire , Gerri Thomas, Harry Betts, John Hendley,    Barnaby Bye, Frankie Crocker, Three Degrees (Contact), The Apollas , Billy Purcell, Bobby Diamond,  KIki Dee, + lots more,  all massive records at T'palais .. love em or hate em,   they were a part of the scene in those days, still very   vivid to this day

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, IanP said:

Outsiders,  JC Messina,  Kelly St Claire , Gerri Thomas, Harry Betts, John Hendley,    Barnaby Bye, Frankie Crocker, Three Degrees (Contact), The Apollas , Billy Purcell, Bobby Diamond,  KIki Dee, + lots more,  all massive records at T'palais .. love em or hate em,   they were a part of the scene in those days, still very   vivid to this day

Ian.  Again all tunes that for me mate are Station road memories 

Steve 

Social source share

it's like any venue from 40 years ago,     big records were nationwide, after being 'broke' at one.   st ives to me, has certain stand out records... Eddie Reagan,  billy prophet, susan coleman etc... all wigan biggies im sure,   but when you only ventured 'close go home'  I suppose they evoke memories of certain venues ?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Your post is pure nostalgia. I was a regular for four years from 1976 so not quite the golden KTF period. I do have a strong memory of seeing Jimmy James & The Vagabonds at The Palais. Naturally he played his big hits  such as 'I'll go where the music takes me' but we also got 'This heart of mine' and a favourite of mine from school days 'A man like you'. His encore was 'Now is the Time' which he reprised. Must have enjoyed myself because I remember it so well.

Social source share

Nostalgia, and heaps of great memories for me. I could say, after the Wirrina in Peterborough where I was living at the time, I really "cut my teeth" at the Palais all dayer's and never missed one. I often close my eyes, have a little memory flutter and can still smell the Brut as if it was yesterday. Fantastic to go to an all nighter on the Saturday and straight to the Palais for another 12 hours of dancing on the Sunday, just cos we could. Bugger work on the Monday!! Best two sounds for me that will always be associated with that famous venue are Dena Barnes, If you ever walked out of my life and the brilliant dancer Chubby Checker, You just don't know. We can't bring them day's back, but we won't forget em either. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!