Any Record That Can Catapult You Back 30 Years Or More

Messing about on you tube when I came across jimmy raye Philly dog around the world, omg I haven't heard this for years and it really did give me such a good feelin and brought back so many good memories, are there any tunes you have heard recently you haven't heard in a long time have had a similar effect on you

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Suprise party for baby Vibrating vibrations

Tell me it just a rumour Isley Bros

Along with maybe severel hundred others.

Social source share

Just been talking about my local Welfare Hall under 18s nights - and I remember as a 13 year old hearing Jimmy Ruffin Farewell is a Lonely sound in 1969/70 and whenever I hear that record I can almost smell the old Welfare Hall and sense the young me - it's a real time and place song for me another would be Max Romeo Wet Dream from the same period.

Cheers

Manus

Edited by manus
Social source share

Just been talking about my local Welfare Hall under 18s nights - and I remember as a 13 year old hearing Jimmy Ruffin Farewell is a Lonely sound in 1969/70 and whenever I hear that record I can almost smell the old Welfare Hall and sense the young me - it's a real time and place song for me another would be Max Romeo Wet Dream from the same period.

Cheers

Manus

God 'wet dream' almost forgotten all about it. It was big around our way about 1970? I can still remember singing the filthy lyrics gathered in a group with 'me mates'. Right at the end one of the lads said, quoting the words "they said in bed!!" I think the rest of the words were lost on him!

A record for me? perhaps 'At the top of the stairs' Formations, probably many more Ade

• Helpful 2
Social source share

God 'wet dream' almost forgotten all about it. It was big around our way about 1970? I can still remember singing the filthy lyrics gathered in a group with 'me mates'. Right at the end one of the lads said, quoting the words "they said in bed!!" I think the rest of the words were lost on him!

A record for me? perhaps 'At the top of the stairs' Formations, probably many more Ade

I remember a particular lass who used to dance to Wet Dream - she had a Julie Driscoll type cut and was a year or two older than us and we used to sit and drool when she was dancing - and I ended up getting together with her about a year later - Great Days

Social source share

Guest Swish

What geat comments.........and sounds by all of you (I also bought WET DREAM when I was 15 years old , just thought it was pure sex and JE' TAIME ...Jane Birkin, Serge Gainsborough, wow that was sexy in a different way.

Northern wise I am going to cheat a bit here because There were many special moments on hearing brand new sounds as we all know.

At the Twisted Wheel in 1968 or 1969, heard I WANT by ERROL DIXON..........WOW, and this was before I had even heard of gear! ran up to DJ stand to find what it was.

The label was UK RAINBOW and all copies including the re-issue on FAB have the labels the wrong way round.

I was told once that ain't true but until someone proves it..................................

The next one was special because I was in SHOTTS GLASGOW about 12-15 years ago (I ain't sure sorry)

I went there with Dennis Billingham and Chuddy and?

DB scored the last chemist gear I ever got, how he got it, years after it was gone I shall never know, but oh yes he did. Black bombers included.)

I remember him saying "Boy done good?"

My God he had done good!

We passed Lockerbie on the way there and remembering that tragic plane crash it made me sad and brought me down for a while, but we went to the nighter and it was superb. There were a few drunks came in to cause trouble and spoil it but they got short thrift.

The night was fantastic.

I was smashed off me head.

It was around 7 or 7:30 in the Morning

The place had a massive ceiling and the curtains hung down about 25 foot on this lovely summers morning.

25 foot rays of sunshine were shining through the cracks int he curtains. it wa magical, AND I MEAN FU**** MEGA MAGICAL

The dance floor's packed the atmosphere is what you'd die for.

Suddenly they played IT'S BETTER REGGIE ALEXANDER.

It was overwhelmingly powerful and I joined the dancers and THRILLED to bits

It was truely awseome.

I had never heard the record in my life but, just like the superb ERROL DIXON I ran to the DJ stand to find it was covered up!

Took me a while to find out what it was. Found out in the end of course.

Oh, i rember another one.

Walking into Saints and Sinners in Birmingham in 1971 and hearig CAN'T YOU SEE YOU ARE LOSING ME by MARY WELLS on BLACK ATLANTIC

I'd beent to Wheel, Metro,by this time, never heard it. AND THERE IT WAS IN THIS basement club in Broad Street Birmingham. I had just scored RED AND BROWNS AND GREEN AND BROWNS and they were packed in my mouth.

All I wanted was to get in get a coke, swallow the twats and get on with the nighter.

But EVERYONE ONE wanted to look through my record box (mostly Stateside)

So I am trying to speak as the Caps are melting in my mouth and I am spraying Durophet all over the place.

JESUS CHRIST!

Also at that club, WYNDER K FROG I FEEL SO BAD (instrumental) (supposedly swapped for a TV)

BALLADS ,CAN'T SEE YOUR LOVE as well ON ISSUE , not demo, WOW.

Social source share

Guest Swish

Also BEAUTIFUL NIGHT by JIMMY THOMAS on PARLOPHONE ISSUE not DEMO..................WOW

I can't remember who gave it me to play now.

If you are on here or still around please say.

Social source share

Guest Swish

I got another

Arriving at Market Harborough (THE LANTERN) and hearing NEXT IN LINE by HOAGY LANDS

I;d heard it at Blacpool Mecca but never knew it was on STATESIDE

After a load of wheeling and dealing I walked out with it..

That was not end of story.

More to come

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

What geat comments.........and sounds by all of you (I also bought WET DREAM when I was 15 years old , just thought it was pure sex and JE' TAIME ...Jane Birkin, Serge Gainsborough, wow that was sexy in a different way.

Northern wise I am going to cheat a bit here because There were many special moments on hearing brand new sounds as we all know.

At the Twisted Wheel in 1968 or 1969, heard I WANT by ERROL DIXON..........WOW, and this was before I had even heard of gear! ran up to DJ stand to find what it was.

The label was UK RAINBOW and all copies including the re-issue on FAB have the labels the wrong way round.

I was told once that ain't true but until someone proves it..................................

The next one was special because I was in SHOTTS GLASGOW about 12-15 years ago (I ain't sure sorry)

I went there with Dennis Billingham and Chuddy and?

DB scored the last chemist gear I ever got, how he got it, years after it was gone I shall never know, but oh yes he did. Black bombers included.)

I remember him saying "Boy done good?"

My God he had done good!

We passed Lockerbie on the way there and remembering that tragic plane crash it made me sad and brought me down for a while, but we went to the nighter and it was superb. There were a few drunks came in to cause trouble and spoil it but they got short thrift.

The night was fantastic.

I was smashed off me head.

It was around 7 or 7:30 in the Morning

The place had a massive ceiling and the curtains hung down about 25 foot on this lovely summers morning.

25 foot rays of sunshine were shining through the cracks int he curtains. it wa magical, AND I MEAN FU**** MEGA MAGICAL

The dance floor's packed the atmosphere is what you'd die for.

Suddenly they played IT'S BETTER REGGIE ALEXANDER.

It was overwhelmingly powerful and I joined the dancers and THRILLED to bits

It was truely awseome.

I had never heard the record in my life but, just like the superb ERROL DIXON I ran to the DJ stand to find it was covered up!

Took me a while to find out what it was. Found out in the end of course.

Oh, i rember another one.

Walking into Saints and Sinners in Birmingham in 1971 and hearig CAN'T YOU SEE YOU ARE LOSING ME by MARY WELLS on BLACK ATLANTIC

I'd beent to Wheel, Metro,by this time, never heard it. AND THERE IT WAS IN THIS basement club in Broad Street Birmingham. I had just scored RED AND BROWNS AND GREEN AND BROWNS and they were packed in my mouth.

All I wanted was to get in get a coke, swallow the twats and get on with the nighter.

But EVERYONE ONE wanted to look through my record box (mostly Stateside)

So I am trying to speak as the Caps are melting in my mouth and I am spraying Durophet all over the place.

JESUS CHRIST!

Also at that club, WYNDER K FROG I FEEL SO BAD (instrumental) (supposedly swapped for a TV)

BALLADS ,CAN'T SEE YOUR LOVE as well ON ISSUE , not demo, WOW.

Thats a true soul journey,Ive read on this forum a lot about folk saying "I never took gear,only a few ever did,blah,blah blah",,so if thats true well imo youve lost out big style if youve never heard the searing blasts of brass sections and heart tearing vocals,both male and femlae hitting your brain at the same time as youre just coming up on some good gear,the caps have started kicking in or the pills dissolved enough to send those waves through you as that song thats going to be burned into your memory for ever more in combination with where you heard it,who was with you etc in a glorious mix never to be taken from you whether you are sitting years later in a cell or a penthouse,thats the greatness of the scene and all it combined,sounds out ..So to those who ",do not indulge,and may distance themselves from such accounts to the rest of us this was is what it was and should be all about.

Major Lance You dont want me no more

You hear it about an hour after getting in an all nighter ,your buzzing a bit then all of a sudden everything kicks in at once just as you hear the first blast Ive ,seen many things dropped from hands ,jackets removed,chairs vacated and groups of friends left standing as folk experiencing such "soul ful highs",drop all and head for the dancefloor,or maybe even drop from balconies .If your books like that posting its going to be a good un.

Social source share

Guest Swish

Forgive me Zootsuit I aren't sure who you are or who Soul Carp is.

If you want to talk privately ITS BOBSWISH@HOTMAIL.COM

Manusf3a,

Thank you for your kind words.

Loved the way you described hearing YOU DONT WANT ME NO MORE as well.

Swish

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

This takes me back further 42 years to be exact , to the youth club at the top of my street where the skinheads and greasers would fight every Wednesday night :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!