Articles: Best Soul Nights in the North East Ever

Guest KEN-SOUL

Memory fading a wee bit BUT didn't the Mayfair have a good sized balcony round it?

I'm sure it did (circa 71) and it didn't take kindly to Yorkies so the Geordies chucked me over it and on to the dancefloor - quite an entrance and the same one at A&E ohmy.gif

I went to an allnighter up in newcastle in the late 80ts and the place had a balcony round it.

Cant remember the name of the venue though

Funilly enough someone took a dive off the balcony the night i was there.

Social source share

yep sombrero ch-le- st,if i remember J manship played a few.it was run by A lowes.great days :lol: but try and name all the non all nighter day night events in the n east between the 70s and 80s,hard one to start with, europer lodge morpeth, paul moony should remember that one, the brick paul.

That's a long, tall order Mick there were so many Soul nights back then. Alex's name would crop up in association with a lot of them. He ran the Coach and Eight in Durham and there was the regular night up at the working men's club at Nevilles Cross. Also there was another central Durham venue where Ian levine came up and did a spot - can't remember the name but I've got some photos somewhere, Paul Mooney and Mick Powney were there.

Russ Winstanley and Dave Evison both did Soul night/ all-dayer spots at different times at the Sombrero and I remember John Manship selling records at one of the all-dayers there. There was also fairly long running nights at the Key club and the Rex at Birtley. I remember Soul Sam doing a spot at the Rex and getting a bit angry with Alex because he'd uncovered the Harry Betts tune ( maybe tune is the wrong word). There was the regular weekday nights at the Stirling House in Gateshead around 75. And a lot down the coast run by both Alex and Duncan Mc, seperately I might add. There were a lot more - all dayers /Soul nights through at Aycliffe and Darlo and varous other places, as I'm sure you know.

Cheers

Manus

Edited by manus
Social source share

Great memories of Mayfair Suite allnighters in Newcastle. Although a bit hazy with dj's and music played, must have been a good time if I went back again. I think it was about 84 which made me 15/16. Nae bad goin' fir a young un, a bit o' a Phileas Fogg in them days!!!!

Social source share

But what about the one of the two Walter Mitty's together...Pete Whitehead and John Hurwood...they were probs havin a bullshit competition...wish I'd been there listenin in...bet it was funny as fook :ohmy:

GENERAL BELGRANO WHITEHEAD HAD A NICE TRIP TO PETERBOROUGH ALLNIGHTER WITH HIM AND CARLO ONCE

A TENDACY TO EXAGERATE I THINK IS THE TERM JILL

wink.gif

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

HOUGHTON INSTITUTE ALLDAYERS

SKERNE PARK YOUTH CLUB SOUL NIGHT

HOLY FAMILY SOUL NIGHT

COACHMAN SOUL NIGHT

BOWES WINE CELLAR SOUL NIGHT

THE FLAMINGO SOUL NIGHT

ST HILDAS SOUL NIGHT

DURLIA OR WEE BEE SOUL NIGHT

WERE A FEW DO,S IN DARLINGTON I,M SURE THERES MORE BUT ??!!??

Hi--Harry --memory,s are funny things(well mine is) if asked yesterday ---i could have named possibly 2 venues in Darlo--but seeing all these i now remember D.J. ING at about 5 particulary Holy Family and The Flamingo(Walking Cane) also Dukes Club???.I was once told that in the 60,s they had All Niters at The La Bamba(near the Adult shop--so i,ve been told!!!)i remember that burning down ,when i lived in nearby Richmond(about 1970?????).

Great news about The Dolphin Centre.

Onslow and Daisy.

Social source share

HOLY FAMILY SOUL NIGHT

COACHMAN SOUL NIGHT

THE FLAMINGO SOUL NIGHT

ST HILDAS SOUL NIGHT

'

Hi Harry, you were probably too young to go but, there was a mid week soul night on in 73 at Northlands, mid 70's there was Eastbourne Meths, Harrowgate Hill WMC & Springfield club off the top of my head,,,, medication kicking in so might be wrong, will look back through some fliers see what I can find. Had my first taste of soul music at Northlands also took a kicking on North Road on my home cos I was from the wrong side of town, didn't stop me going back, never toook another kicking tho laugh.gif ,, was introduced to some excellent music

Social source share

Hi--Harry --memory,s are funny things(well mine is) if asked yesterday ---i could have named possibly 2 venues in Darlo--but seeing all these i now remember D.J. ING at about 5 particulary Holy Family and The Flamingo(Walking Cane) also Dukes Club???.I was once told that in the 60,s they had All Niters at The La Bamba(near the Adult shop--so i,ve been told!!!)i remember that burning down ,when i lived in nearby Richmond(about 1970?????).

Great news about The Dolphin Centre.

Onslow and Daisy.

DUKES CLUB IS THE SAME AS DURLIA WEE BEE I THINK WRIGHTY GOT JIMMY JAMES ON THERE ONE NIGHT I THINK

OR WAS IT A WIERD DREAM

ALSO THE JUC CLUB WHERE WE HAD AN ANNIVESARY DO WITH RICHARD SEARLING ,THERES A VIDEO FLOATING AROUND SOMEWHERE OF THAT ,

STEVE WHITTLE TURNED UP TOO WITH SOME ILLICIT ITEMS ONE OF WHICH I BOURGHT

HOPE YOUR FEELING BETTER TONY

CHEERS

HARRY wink.gif

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

DUKES CLUB IS THE SAME AS DURLIA WEE BEE I THINK WRIGHTY GOT JIMMY JAMES ON THERE ONE NIGHT I THINK

OR WAS IT A WIERD DREAM

ALSO THE JUC CLUB WHERE WE HAD AN ANNIVESARY DO WITH RICHARD SEARLING ,THERES A VIDEO FLOATING AROUND SOMEWHERE OF THAT ,

STEVE WHITTLE TURNED UP TOO WITH SOME ILLICIT ITEMS ONE OF WHICH I BOURGHT

HOPE YOUR FEELING BETTER TONY

CHEERS

HARRY wink.gif

Cheers 4 that m8,feel about as bad as b4 i was rushed in ---all last weeks episode has achieved(apart from having to watch the Rugby League Grand Final in Hospital!!) is to move me a bit further up the waiting list for major surgery.Also just been talking to my old man (75) and although he didn,t go he DEFO remembers kids going to All Niters at The La Bamba(not too far from where Joe,s bar is 2day)--can you find out? also did get a 12" Neo (which jumps both sides!!!)

Onslow And Daisy.

Social source share

I remember this night as they were running late setting the stage up and Chris King asked me and my mate Dunc to give them a hand. Then when we had finished he told us to go back outside and pay to get in at which point we told him to f*ck off

Also really liked the Dolphon Centre, used to knock about with local guy called oggie when I went up there

If its the one i think it is he's Hoggie

The one and only Bri Hoggett :D

Know him well ,infact we are both brickies and work together in the same gang 2+1

Amazingly he has just rediscovered the soul scene :ohmy:

I am in charge of the music when we travel to work,

problem is he's still in wigan/torch,twisted wheel mode so we are back listening to all the great oldies

SALVADORS,MEL BRITT ,RITA DACOSTA ,SPYDER TURNER ,GENE CHANDLER ET AL

Forgot how good they sound,just proves they are all still great choons thumbsup.gif

P.s Spyk ,if your reading Bri's been asking after you mate yes.gif

Social source share

HOLY FAMILY SOUL NIGHT

COACHMAN SOUL NIGHT

THE FLAMINGO SOUL NIGHT

ST HILDAS SOUL NIGHT

feel old looking at some of these i actually went to the skern park nights when gaz simon and tony davis got their pockett money taken off them lol,the duria was a thursday night played there if i can recall and them all dayers wow bus to wigan from there.

BAZ A

Social source share

That's a long, tall order Mick there were so many Soul nights back then. Alex's name would crop up in association with a lot of them. He ran the Coach and Eight in Durham and there was the regular night up at the working men's club at Nevilles Cross. Also there was another central Durham venue where Ian levine came up and did a spot - can't remember the name but I've got some photos somewhere, Paul Mooney and Mick Powney were there.

Russ Winstanley and Dave Evison both did Soul night/ all-dayer spots at different times at the Sombrero and I remember John Manship selling records at one of the all-dayers there. There was also fairly long running nights at the Key club and the Rex at Birtley. I remember Soul Sam doing a spot at the Rex and getting a bit angry with Alex because he'd uncovered the Harry Betts tune ( maybe tune is the wrong word). There was the regular weekday nights at the Stirling House in Gateshead around 75. And a lot down the coast run by both Alex and Duncan Mc, seperately I might add. There were a lot more - all dayers /Soul nights through at Aycliffe and Darlo and varous other places, as I'm sure you know.

Cheers

Manus

hi manus was it not the three tuns or the dunelm your thinking of, heres a few images you might remember.best mick

SWScan00070.jpg

SWScan00071.jpg

Edited by Mick Reed
Social source share

HOLY FAMILY SOUL NIGHT

COACHMAN SOUL NIGHT

THE FLAMINGO SOUL NIGHT

ST HILDAS SOUL NIGHT

feel old looking at some of these i actually went to the skern park nights when gaz simon and tony davis got their pockett money taken off them lol,the duria was a thursday night played there if i can recall and them all dayers wow bus to wigan from there.

BAZ A

Social source share

HOLY FAMILY SOUL NIGHT

COACHMAN SOUL NIGHT

THE FLAMINGO SOUL NIGHT

ST HILDAS SOUL NIGHT

BAZ A

What was that one called above a pub at back of the old court arcade ??

Possibly THE BRITISH LEGION ??

oh yes saw eddie parker there ,that was it Paul Wright jointly promoted it i think ,bought ray and dave for a five that night of guy hennigan!!!!

BAZ A. wink.gif THOSE WERE THE DAYS.

Social source share

BAZ A

oh yes saw eddie parker there ,that was it Paul Wright jointly promoted it i think ,bought ray and dave for a five that night of guy hennigan!!!!

Social source share

That's Chris Walker in picture 3, still on the scene today and goes all over the country.

Wally Francis

ALL right wally how was whitby Chris hasnt changed much was there that night we never missed 1 ran for about 18 months i think

Mick Conroy

Social source share

yep your correct Chris, also Mick Jackson did a spot, sure hoss (not sure of the spelling) did a couple, some locals from Newcastle/Gateshead, some nice music was played

these were great niters run by davy bell if i remember correct, hoss did dj as did i and you are right a few of the locals.

pete.

Social source share

hi manus was it not the three tuns or the dunelm your thinking of,and who did the strip at the coach and eight i can just remember mick powney.heres a few images you might remember.best mick

SWScan00070.jpg

SWScan00071.jpg

Yes Mick I think it might have been the Three Tuns where Alex put Ian Levine on - Thanks for posting the membership cards thumbsup.gif

Cheers Manus

Social source share

BAZ A

COMMONWEATH CLUB AT THE BACK OF COURT ARCADE

ALSO

EDDIE PARKER

JIMMY RUFFIN

JAMES D TRAIN WILLIAMS

AT Z?????@*&^' NIGHTCLUB

ALSO SOUL NIGHT AT LUCYS NIGHTCLUB IN THE DOWNSTAIRS PART WHICH WAS CALLED BELLENDERS OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT

REMEMBER ALEX DO,S AT STANLEY TOO CAN,T REMEMBER THE NAME OT THE CLUB THOUGH

LATIMORE WAS ON LIVE

WILLIE CLAYTON TOO

AND MICA PARIS WAS A NO SHOW ONCE ,LUCKY US :lol:

REMEMBER THE JIMMY RUFFIN ONE WELL,WISH I WAS THERE FOR EDDIE PARKER,

ALSO REMEMBER NORTHERN NIGHTS AT THE WHITE HORSE IN DARLO

STILL GOT A FLYER SOMEWHERE

KEV

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Harry,Baz and co.---i,ve just remembered going to see Major Lance in Gladstone St, Darlington at the Inn Cognito/Lucinda.s?? it was a Thursday nite and not very full ----anybody concur???

Onslow and Daisy.

Social source share

BAZ A

BAZ A. :D THOSE WERE THE DAYS.

COMMONWEATH CLUB AT THE BACK OF COURT ARCADE

ALSO

EDDIE PARKER

JIMMY RUFFIN

JAMES D TRAIN WILLIAMS

AT Z?????@*&^' NIGHTCLUB

ALSO SOUL NIGHT AT LUCYS NIGHTCLUB IN THE DOWNSTAIRS PART WHICH WAS CALLED BELLENDERS OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT

REMEMBER ALEX DO,S AT STANLEY TOO CAN,T REMEMBER THE NAME OT THE CLUB THOUGH

LATIMORE WAS ON LIVE

WILLIE CLAYTON TOO

AND MICA PARIS WAS A NO SHOW ONCE ,LUCKY US :(

I don't remember owt at the back of the Court Arcade...that one must have passed me by...seem to remember being up at Nestfield Club on Albert Hill with Bartle on weekday nights at soul do's and getting hammered on Carlsberg Specials...maybe one-off or even just a dream...there was Mowden Rugby Club but don't think I ever went...well maybe once or twice...and McMullen Road Rugby Club...think I went there once or twice...and I'm sure there was an odd thing at the Beehive...I'm connecting that with Stuie Pinder...may be wrong mind...and I'm sure I met Spyk at Skerne Park Youthie...think he was DJ'ing :D

I remember Thursday soul nights at the Durlia and Monday soul nights at Lucinda's. Oh and Wrighty's do's at the JUC. I also went to the soul nights at the Springfield but not at Harrowgate Hill...didn't Al Kent used to DJ there, and maybe also Pete Feitch? And of course the legendary Haughton Institute All Dayers...happy days.

And of course Aycliffe Meth but I never went there...Sunday nights were always bad for me...school Monday and could never escape from me ma's clutches for long enough to get there and back...til I got it off to a fine art to make Wigan every Satdee neet that is :lol::thumbup::P

Edited by Jill Bayles
Social source share

I don't remember owt at the back of the Court Arcade...that one must have passed me by...seem to remember being up at Nestfield Club on Albert Hill with Bartle on weekday nights at soul do's and getting hammered on Carlsberg Specials...maybe one-off or even just a dream...there was Mowden Rugby Club but don't think I ever went...well maybe once or twice...and McMullen Road Rugby Club...think I went there once or twice...and I'm sure there was an odd thing at the Beehive...I'm connecting that with Stuie Pinder...may be wrong mind...and I'm sure I met Spyk at Skerne Park Youthie...think he was DJ'ing :D

I remember Thursday soul nights at the Durlia and Monday soul nights at Lucinda's. Oh and Wrighty's do's at the JUC. I also went to the soul nights at the Springfield but not at Harrowgate Hill...didn't Al Kent used to DJ there, and maybe also Pete Feitch? And of course the legendary Haughton Institute All Dayers...happy days.

And of course Aycliffe Meth but I never went there...Sunday nights were always bad for me...school Monday and could never escape from me ma's clutches for long enough to get there and back...til I got it off to a fine art to make Wigan every Satdee neet that is wicked.gif:rolleyes::D

patton and balwins beehive jill chicken in a basket jaln band mac and katie kisoooooonn

and the best night chaiman of the board featuring general johnson and the foundations on the same night

a large circle formed in front on the general singing on stage and wrighty proceeded to go raged dancing in front of them quickly followed by quite a few others :(

the trades(springfield) was the al kent roadshow

a very good do was jinxys birthday at catterick bridge hotel chocka block great night :D

Social source share

patton and balwins beehive jill chicken in a basket jaln band mac and katie kisoooooonn

and the best night chaiman of the board featuring general johnson and the foundations on the same night

a large circle formed in front on the general singing on stage and wrighty proceeded to go raged dancing in front of them quickly followed by quite a few others :)

the trades(springfield) was the al kent roadshow

a very good do was jinxys birthday at catterick bridge hotel chocka block great night biggrin.gif

ah...chicken in a basket...just saw the word "chicken" after the word "jill" and thought the word "chicken" was being used in the context of an affectionate term for me :D:lol:

I never went to the Beehive...God knows why...must have had other fish to fry mate :P

I couldn't go to Jinxy's 40th at Catterick Bridge as Terry went :no:

Social source share

it was a back st venue down some stairs ,me johnn brown and wilf from coundon met les medcalf there it was on mid week we were lost and then i heard mr big shot being played in the distance i cant remember exactly were it was. about early 74 . col

well all I can say to that is that I've not got a clue where it was...I must have been too young...I was only 13 years old then...but I know that name Les Medcalf and I also know his wife :lol:

Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

I remember going to an All-Dayer in Chester-Le-Street A place up above the shops? I remember the trip home more than anything else as we had no busfare home and had to walk 5 miles!

Social source share

I remember going to an All-Dayer in Chester-Le-Street A place up above the shops? I remember the trip home more than anything else as we had no busfare home and had to walk 5 miles!

Above Woolworths if memory serves me correctly "The Sombrero" ?

Social source share

just thought of another night that was on in newcastle city centre maybe 15 or so years ago not a nighter. but for the life of me can`t remember the name of it. it was just across the road from tiffanys, it was really long inside (if that makes sense) it was packed out but can only remember apart from me one person who was there, Chillo, but then it was only £1 a pint thats why i cant remember the name the year or who else was there. any ideas if someone comes up with some names it will come to me.

chris ph34r.gif

Social source share

Above Woolworths if memory serves me correctly "The Sombrero" ?

yep spot on :thumbsup:.but who remembers the all-dayer at the bullion hall ch-le-st.and what about the all-nighter alex put on in sunderland. Think it was at the

mecca, with crown heights affair,my god iam geetting old.

Edited by Mick Reed
Social source share

yep spot on :P.but who remembers the all-dayer at the bullion hall ch-le-st.and what about the all-nighter alex put on in sunderland. Think it was at the

mecca, with crown heights affair,my god iam geetting old.

Yes Mick I remember the Bullion Hall All dayer - I did at a spot at it. I seem to recall Richard Searling being on at it but that might be just my memory playing tricks on me. Alex did put the Crown Heights Affair on over in Sunderland, I think it was in association with Neil Rushton who may have organised the tour, but I think it was just an evening do rather that an all nighter I was there along with Mick Powney.

I just thinking today of the Copacabana that used to be a downstairs venue in Low Fell around 1971-72 - a mixture of Tamla, Reggae and Pop used to get played and it was a big hang out for ex skinheads - everyone was wearing crombies and like by then. I remember Al Green getting played a lot there. There'd been some trouble before hand one night and when we all came out there was about a 100 Hairies (greasers/grebos) waiting outside to get two guys in crombies and carrying umbrellas, who had been involved in the earlier trouble. Course everyone that came out of the club had a crombie on so it confused them a wee bit and there was a bit of a stand off but somehow it didn't escalate beyond ye old eyeballing and a bit of shouting.

All the best

Manus

Edited by manus
Social source share

Nice to hear that, its about time we had soul a-la-niter back in the town.

Mind you, the Town Centre is like Beirut of a weekend so you'll have to watch who you let in :)

Well, guess I know where I getting dragged to next year..lol..always providing I allowed in of course, that place was the last time I ever saw Stuie Pinder too, bless him, wonder where he is now......

Social source share

Yes Mick I remember the Bullion Hall All dayer - I did at a spot at it. I seem to recall Richard Searling being on at it but that might be just my memory playing tricks on me. Alex did put the Crown Heights Affair on over in Sunderland, I think it was in association with Neil Rushton who may have organised the tour, but I think it was just an evening do rather that an all nighter I was there along with Mick Powney.

I just thinking today of the Copacabana that used to be a downstairs venue in Low Fell around 1971-72 - a mixture of Tamla, Reggae and Pop used to get played and it was a big hang out for ex skinheads - everyone was wearing crombies and like by then. I remember Al Green getting played a lot there. There'd been some trouble before hand one night and when we all came out there was about a 100 Hairies (greasers/grebos) waiting outside to get two guys in crombies and carrying umbrellas, who had been involved in the earlier trouble. Course everyone that came out of the club had a crombie on so it confused them a wee bit and there was a bit of a stand off but somehow it didn't escalate beyond ye old eyeballing and a bit of shouting.

All the best

Manus

hi manus, iam sure it was a all-nighter the reason being the bounces stopped you from sleeping and would not let you lie down,also i can remember coming out in the morning a friend of mine had his car nicked,there again could be wrong.funny can always remember paul mooney playing bo kirkland and ruth davis at nevilles cross and me twisting at him but great days and people.best mick. :)

Edited by Mick Reed
Social source share

hi manus, iam sure it was a all-nighter the reason being the bounces stoped you from sleeping and would not let you lie down,also i can remember coming out in the morning a freind of mine had his car nicked,there again could be wrong.funny can always remember paul mooney playing bo kirkland and ruth davis at nevils cross and me twisting at him but great days and people.best mick. smile.gif

Mick you could well be right it might have a nighter. It must have been around mid 1978 because I went off to work down in London for a few months almost straight after. Great times indeed :)

Cheers Manus

Just a thought but maybe Alex put the CHA on twice- wish my memory was better.

Edited by manus
Social source share

Hi Harry...I'm not sure that I know you but I know plenty of peeps from York from back in the day so maybe... :g:

Great to hear about your forward planning...let me know where I can get tickets as I need to be organised for this one :yes::thumbup:

Its a good job I've just had my house decorated and spruced up...I can host an after-party if need be...but hopefully I'll get invited to one elsewhere whistling.gif:D

Looking forward to this already....thanks ever so much, this has made my day thumbsup.gif

hey - do i get an invite to you after party?????? and do I need to book korki???

Social source share

Micky if you are talking about soul nights in general how about Wealcroft club in Gateshead, the Broadway Ballroom in Pelaw, but what events do you want us to recall cheers paul conroy

yep sombrero ch-le- st,if i remember J manship played a few.it was run by A lowes.great days :D but try and name all the non all nighter day night events in the n east between the 70s and 80s,hard one to start with, europer lodge morpeth, paul moony should remember that one, the brick paul.
Social source share

Micky if you are talking about soul nights in general how about Wealcroft club in Gateshead, the Broadway Ballroom in Pelaw, but what events do you want us to recall cheers paul conroy

paul as many as yu can remamber mate, just to get an idea of what was on offer in north east then .best mick.

Social source share

Guest Bernadette

just thought of another night that was on in newcastle city centre maybe 15 or so years ago not a nighter. but for the life of me can`t remember the name of it. it was just across the road from tiffanys, it was really long inside (if that makes sense) it was packed out but can only remember apart from me one person who was there, Chillo, but then it was only £1 a pint thats why i cant remember the name the year or who else was there. any ideas if someone comes up with some names it will come to me.

chris :lol:

that rings a bell but like you can't remember the name...sorry not much help :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!