Articles: Best Soul Nights in the North East Ever

Guest KEN-SOUL

Chris I recall going there I on;y went once as the night I went it was full of students pissed out of their heads throwing glassess about Maus /Micky it was an all nighter in Sunderland Genevie's( if thats how you spell it) alex organised it and me little mate Toma did a spot Cheers Paul

its just come to me FAT SAMS anyone???
Social source share

Chris I recall going there I on;y went once as the night I went it was full of students pissed out of their heads throwing glassess about Maus /Micky it was an all nighter in Sunderland Genevie's( if thats how you spell it) alex organised it and me little mate Toma did a spot Cheers Paul

Paul - I am definately coming to the conclusion that Alex may have put CHA on twice. I'm almost certain it was a weeknight that I saw them maybe a Thursday and it was 1978 maybe August/Sept, I think Neil Rushton had organised the tour he was certainly there. It was a Jazz funk crowd and I went down to London for work just after. My memory of the period isn't great due to over indulgence of too many shall we say stimulants but I do recall travelling over from Mick Powneys house.

All the best mate and if you see Davy tell him I'm going to post a CD for him this week.

Manus

Social source share

Manus nee probs mate was out with Davey Elaine Matty Duncan Frankie firday gone at the Swallow brill night mate it was rammed over 230 people in loads of old faces there Vin, Paul Murphy Tim Ray Callan but to name a few next one boxing night mate all the best Paul

Paul - I am definately coming to the conclusion that Alex may have put CHA on twice. I'm almost certain it was a weeknight that I saw them maybe a Thursday and it was 1978 maybe August/Sept, I think Neil Rushton had organised the tour he was certainly there. It was a Jazz funk crowd and I went down to London for work just after. My memory of the period isn't great due to over indulgence of too many shall we say stimulants but I do recall travelling over from Mick Powneys house.

All the best mate and if you see Davy tell him I'm going to post a CD for him this week.

Manus

Social source share

Manus nee probs mate was out with Davey Elaine Matty Duncan Frankie firday gone at the Swallow brill night mate it was rammed over 230 people in loads of old faces there Vin, Paul Murphy Tim Ray Callan but to name a few next one boxing night mate all the best Paul

Glad to hear it went well Paul thumbsup.gif I must get up there at some point but I'm hobbling around with a walking stick at the moment waiting on an operation on my knee. Still it gives me plenty of time to post on here.

All the best

Manus

Social source share

Guest jeffthevest

did anyone go to the STAX OF SOUL nights at walkergate where a TOP dj had his records nicked??? so i have been told.

chris ph34r.gif

mmmm ??? that ringing a very far off bell? but thats all !! :unsure:

The Coatsy club in gateshead, great doo's on in there :ohmy: Does the Central bar in Gateshead count ? dancing/soul/scooterists/mods and of course the barneys :D

Karen x

Social source share

Guest micky p

Yes there was it was at the MAYFAIR SUITE early 80`s used to go quite a bit think it was a sunday night :wicked:

try 84/85 at the mayfair,tiffany's,the red house,john bost center walker,walker youth club,i was on a chemical holiday and i can just about remember lol !!!!!!!! by the waybruce from preston does live in wallsend and he has got a fat gut and he smells lol ! and is still on a chemical holiday !by the way chris what were the data disks like ? you missed a good night at the swallow hotel mate and hello deb ! by the way its micky p and the wallsend massive yeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaa

Social source share

Guest micky p

Just remembered there was also a couple of nighters a few years ago at Cassidys in birtley which aint far from newcastle. cant think who d.j.ed but they were good nights Pat brady d.j.ed at one if i remember correctly. not sure what year these were there was 2 that i went to.

chris :wicked:

no all nighter at the guild i dont think but def at the redhouse over the road by the way it was good to see you's at the swallow respect,micky p

Social source share

Guest jeffthevest

no all nighter at the guild i dont think but def at the redhouse over the road by the way it was good to see you's at the swallow respect,micky p

:g:Hiya Micky

Someone asked on friday night "how can he dance like that ? " I said "coz he's from Newcastle " Great night wasnt it see you's on boxing night thumbsup.gif

Karen n Jeff x

Social source share

try 84/85 at the mayfair,tiffany's,the red house,john bost center walker,walker youth club,i was on a chemical holiday and i can just about remember lol !!!!!!!! by the waybruce from preston does live in wallsend and he has got a fat gut and he smells lol ! and is still on a chemical holiday !by the way chris what were the data disks like ? you missed a good night at the swallow hotel mate and hello deb ! by the way its micky p and the wallsend massive yeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaa

yeh was looking forward to it mickey, had a real bummer of a day had to put my long term friend to sleep [my old jack russell] so wasn`t up to it mate, we`ll get there soon hopefully-HARRY thumbsup.gif

Social source share

GENERAL BELGRANO WHITEHEAD HAD A NICE TRIP TO PETERBOROUGH ALLNIGHTER WITH HIM AND CARLO ONCE

A TENDACY TO EXAGERATE I THINK IS THE TERM JILL

wink.gif

Putting it nicely that :g: God aye General Belgrano...can't remember who came up with that belter :(

Was I on that Peterborough trip? Memory a bit hazy but I think I was...might have been a different time...hey I remember once Whitehead came round to mine...I was outside trying to fix my car...he said "Don't worry I'll have it fixed in no time" I said "do you know what to do like" he said "well yes that's what I do...I'm a mechanic in the Navy"...took his coat off and rolled his sleeves up then looked under the bonnet...didn't have a bleedin clue...t'was written all over his face...glazed look in his eyes...stood there for what seemed forever...eventually to stop the embarrassment I said "It's the radiator mate" then he said "Ah well I'm not very good with them" :D Think I stuck some Radweld in it eventually until I could get a new one in...hey mate if I write a book I'll include a couple of chapters on him alone...priceless :D

Social source share

Putting it nicely that :D God aye General Belgrano...can't remember who came up with that belter :P

Was I on that Peterborough trip? Memory a bit hazy but I think I was...might have been a different time...hey I remember once Whitehead came round to mine...I was outside trying to fix my car...he said "Don't worry I'll have it fixed in no time" I said "do you know what to do like" he said "well yes that's what I do...I'm a mechanic in the Navy"...took his coat off and rolled his sleeves up then looked under the bonnet...didn't have a bleedin clue...t'was written all over his face...glazed look in his eyes...stood there for what seemed forever...eventually to stop the embarrassment I said "It's the radiator mate" then he said "Ah well I'm not very good with them" :) Think I stuck some Radweld in it eventually until I could get a new one in...hey mate if I write a book I'll include a couple of chapters on him alone...priceless :D

It was Karen Bartell!!! remember, and I was accused of having a battered head......lol

Social source share

It was Karen Bartell!!! remember, and I was accused of having a battered head......lol

Will you stop speaking in riddles woman wink.gif:D

What about Bart...she went out with Belgrano yes...is that what you mean? :lol:

Or do you mean that Bart was at Peterborough...I remember she went there once when I did...and she had feckin chicken pox...or measles or summat such like...and I went off it cos I said she should be at home not spreading the lurgy about...you did have a battered head...but not in the same way as hers was battered hun...and I had a battered head too when you were around cos it has a tendency to rub off but I wouldn't have changed any of it cos we had the bestest of times :D:P

Edited by Jill Bayles
Social source share

Will you stop speaking in riddles woman :lol::g:

What about Bart...she went out with Belgrano yes...is that what you mean? :ohmy:

Or do you mean that Bart was at Peterborough...I remember she went there once when I did...and she had feckin chicken pox...or measles or summat such like...and I went off it cos I said she should be at home not spreading the lurgy about...you did have a battered head...but not in the same way as hers was battered hun...and I had a battered head too when you were around cos it has a tendency to rub off but I wouldn't have changed any of it cos we had the bestest of times :D:yes:

hmm you DIDNOT say that at the time, INFACT I seem to remember being told to BEHAVE MYSELF or else... no I thought it was Karen, cos wasn't he on the ship that sunk the Belgrano an kept goin on about it, so if it wasn't Karen, it was one of the others in our group ...AN CAN YOU PHONE RE TOMORROW!!!

Social source share

hmm you DIDNOT say that at the time, INFACT I seem to remember being told to BEHAVE MYSELF or else... no I thought it was Karen, cos wasn't he on the ship that sunk the Belgrano an kept goin on about it, so if it wasn't Karen, it was one of the others in our group ...AN CAN YOU PHONE RE TOMORROW!!!

I THOURGHT HE WAS A SUBMARINE MAN AND WAS ON THE SUB THAT SANK THE BELGRANO ? WILL ASK CARLO TONIGHT HE MAY BE ABLE TO SPREAD SOME ARTIFICIAL LIGHT ON OUR FRIEND FROM BELOW SEA LEVEL .

BY THE LOOK OF HIS TAN ON THE PHOTO LOOKS LIKE HES JUST DONE AN 8 MONTH STINT MIND YOU SO DOES MR HURWOOD :thumbsup:

HARRY

Social source share

I THOURGHT HE WAS A SUBMARINE MAN AND WAS ON THE SUB THAT SANK THE BELGRANO ? WILL ASK CARLO TONIGHT HE MAY BE ABLE TO SPREAD SOME ARTIFICIAL LIGHT ON OUR FRIEND FROM BELOW SEA LEVEL .

BY THE LOOK OF HIS TAN ON THE PHOTO LOOKS LIKE HES JUST DONE AN 8 MONTH STINT MIND YOU SO DOES MR HURWOOD :thumbsup:

HARRY

hmm you could be right - above or below does it matter????!! lol, it was in the sea wanit!!! let me know, cos now its annoying me - u expect Carlo to remember anything from back then!!!! - say hi to him for me....

Social source share

hmm you could be right - above or below does it matter????!! lol, it was in the sea wanit!!! let me know, cos now its annoying me - u expect Carlo to remember anything from back then!!!! - say hi to him for me....

MATTERS IF YOU OPEN THE WINDOW :lol:

DJING IN JOES BAR WITH CARLO TONIGHT WILL SAY HELLO FOR YOU (IF I REMEMBER)

Social source share

MATTERS IF YOU OPEN THE WINDOW :D

DJING IN JOES BAR WITH CARLO TONIGHT WILL SAY HELLO FOR YOU (IF I REMEMBER)

err yep, you got a point there, hmmm Jill says that I talk in riddles an at least you can understand me!!!! an subs don't even have f*** windows (thats jills quote) don't drown in Joes bar!!! oh an this is Jill an she says, thats kind of how he got his name but not sure that he was actually on the vessel (she gettin techinical now) that sank the Belgrano ..... that bit was probably fabricated by Mr Whitehead, but do ask Carlo cos he will know and he was probably the one that came up with the name, says Jill

Social source share

Guest Jordibird

just thought of another night that was on in newcastle city centre maybe 15 or so years ago not a nighter. but for the life of me can`t remember the name of it. it was just across the road from tiffanys, it was really long inside (if that makes sense) it was packed out but can only remember apart from me one person who was there, Chillo, but then it was only £1 a pint thats why i cant remember the name the year or who else was there. any ideas if someone comes up with some names it will come to me.

chris :lol:

It was in a pub called the Portland Chris which has been knocked down :lol: (as with everything else) just over the road from Tiffs. I'd forgot all about that one!!! :thumbup:

Social source share

It was in a pub called the Portland Chris which has been knocked down :D (as with everything else) just over the road from Tiffs. I'd forgot all about that one!!! :shhh:

sorry but it was called Fat sams which was part of the hotel( i think) the portland was over the road from it and tiffanys was over the road from portland :yes:

chris :no:

Social source share

Guest Jordibird

Aha I know where you mean now!! think it's an Irish Pub thingy now!! Must be getting mixed up, that's old age for you :thumbsup: I can remember some do's at Northallerton and Newton Aycliffe in the 80's, one was at a Leisure Centre and the other at a place called The Top Hat with a chippie over the road. Don't know if anyone can remember them at all, unless I was dreaming it up :boxing: .

How's Debs by the way?? Haven't seen you 2 for a while.

Social source share

Aha I know where you mean now!! think it's an Irish Pub thingy now!! Must be getting mixed up, that's old age for you :rolleyes: I can remember some do's at Northallerton and Newton Aycliffe in the 80's, one was at a Leisure Centre and the other at a place called The Top Hat with a chippie over the road. Don't know if anyone can remember them at all, unless I was dreaming it up :lol: .

Thats the one, irish pub springs to mind think it was an americanish type place when it was fat sams.

chris :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest micky p

Chris, Spyk look :ohmy: surely that is Micky P in picture 1 ?? gotta be ?

Karen x

you are right karen its e micky p ! god i would know that nose anywhere ha ha,take care micky p x

Social source share

Guest micky p

was just talking to micky today and i thought it was him in the piccie. recognised Jeff straight away he`s got a good voice :huh: just gotta c.d. with edwin starr live at clifton hall. :lol:

chris :ohmy:

was that on a disk i done u ? ive got more interviews with soul stars ill put them on disk for u mate,micky p

Social source share

Guest micky p

sorry but it was called Fat sams which was part of the hotel( i think) the portland was over the road from it and tiffanys was over the road from portland :ohmy:

chris :huh:

you are right chris mate! fat sams was under the hotel and tiffs facing the portland ! those were the days eh ?

Social source share

Guest micky p

Aha I know where you mean now!! think it's an Irish Pub thingy now!! Must be getting mixed up, that's old age for you :ohmy: I can remember some do's at Northallerton and Newton Aycliffe in the 80's, one was at a Leisure Centre and the other at a place called The Top Hat with a chippie over the road. Don't know if anyone can remember them at all, unless I was dreaming it up :huh: .

i had some good times at the lesiure center in newton aycliff and the top hat but the public transport on the way back to newcastle was a nightmare all chalkied up lol.respect,micky p,the toon

Social source share

Guest micky p

I went to an allnighter up in newcastle in the late 80ts and the place had a balcony round it.

Cant remember the name of the venue though

Funilly enough someone took a dive off the balcony the night i was there.

that was the mayfair suit and it finished about 85, as that was my local,respect,micky p, the toon

Social source share

Guest micky p

Davy bell put on the niters at Cassidys in birtley a few years back. Not sure which year. Had some top djs on aswell.

chris :ohmy:

1996/97 ithink cassidies was on,when i lived in middle street befor i got 15 months lol

Social source share

Guest soul4life

Hi Harry...I'm not sure that I know you but I know plenty of peeps from York from back in the day so maybe... :P

Great to hear about your forward planning...let me know where I can get tickets as I need to be organised for this one yes.gif:ohmy:

Its a good job I've just had my house decorated and spruced up...I can host an after-party if need be...but hopefully I'll get invited to one elsewhere :rolleyes::D

Looking forward to this already....thanks ever so much, this has made my day :shades:

Social source share

Hello Paul

I remember DJing at a niter in the west end of Newcastle and West Denton rings a bell - bit of a strange night if I remember rightly.

There was a niter at Dunelm house in Durham city run by Alex Lowes and he arranged a follow up one but it was pulled at the last minute by the council and I mean the last minute. A bus load turned up from Scotland and then they had to go on to Wigan.

There was also all nighters on at the Sombero in Chester Le Street on a fairly regular basis, Soul and later Jazz Funk. And as you''ve mentioned the Aycliffe Youth Club niters which were well known throughout the country.

Can't remember any more at the minute I'll have a think.

Cheers

Apologies for dragging up an old post but new here and really loving these old memories .. Recall the Sombero in CLS .. got me leather coat nicked from there one night when Alex Lowe (I think) did a Jazz Funk nite pushing Dr Buzzard Cherche La Femme album laugh.gif

Manus

Social source share

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Scarborosoul

At the first DC all-nighter, the Yorkshire Post did a full middle page spread about the nighter and they concentrated on why everyone was wearing string vests :ohmy:

The main pic on the report was myself and Mick hussey dancing..........both in string vests :Dblush.gifwhistling.gif

Rick

Social source share

• 3 years later...

1. DUNELM HOUSE, DURHAM.

My first all-dayer was in 75 and I tend to think of them amongst the best days of my life. Most of the records I hear as I go round Northern Soul Nights still, I heard for the first time that first day. People came from all over the country and all the top jocks played. Searling did an afternoon set due to comm...

Click here to view the soul article in full

Edited by stevesilktulip
Social source share

1. DUNELM HOUSE, DURHAM.

My first all-dayer was in 75 and I tend to think of them amongst the best days of my life. Most of the records I hear as I go round Northern Soul Nights still, I heard for the first time that first day. People came from all over the country and all the top jocks played. Searling did an afternoon set due to comm...

Click here to view the soul article in full

Used to love the All-Dayers at Dunelm House..............always looked forward to a Bank Holiday coming around!!!!

Also remember Togo's at Chester-Le-Street..............great times.............. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Wow - what a trip down memory lane. Dunelm All Dayer - forgot I'd even been there! As for a few of the other venues the list also brings back the memories. Left the scene early 76 (in terms of attending but still collected) but dipped in and out of many a venue mentioned though mainly the Newcastle scene. Julies club rode through it all very well for a long time. The Mayfair All Nighters and the Sunday Soul Club there were a real treat as well. As usual the music never leaves you and now playing out my collection at St Doms and other smaller venues. Great article - cheers from Tony Fiddes

Social source share

Guest jeffthevest

A few more from the Dolphin Centre, are you there?????????

lad with the tash coming up the stairs is Marty turner from leamlane still looks the same but with white facial hair.
Social source share

Just remembered another one during that second mod revival period 79 onwards or maybe early 80's. It was a nighter at the Red Lion?? Chester Le Street - Bill Swift did it and there was a bus on from Newcastle. Manus - you were at that one I'm sure. Got back about 6 or 7 in the morning and without any money walked home up the central motorway (like you do!) Also Denton Hotel upstairs room around 1974ish always played a Northern spot though it was a general mobile disco night really and was on a Thursday so school the next day!!

Don't forget a current one on Bank Hols is the 1OAK restaurant bottom of Dean Street. DJ's from St Doms (Beatin Rhythm club last Sat of month) playing mainly Northern/Motown/RnB 5pm till whenever. Last one we played at was 6th May and was rammed. Jesmond British Legion club currently hosts the North East Soul Union as well. Every 2 months - next one July 7th. Along with the Swallow, Corporation club, Tommas Cricket Club - there's loads of our music being played in and around Newcastle/Gateshead!!

Social source share

The all dayer i went to at dunelm house was the best i ever attended dj s if i remember were dave evison -alan rhodes -alan hay-searling -alex lowes.

Dave Bell.

Bloody hell David.I DJ'd a dayer at Dunelm probs 77.Stood in for me good mate Big Ray who was errr' detained' elsewhere at the time.Also did the niter at Togos with Frankie Lucas assisting.

Jimmy Todd

• Helpful 1
Social source share

lad with the tash coming up the stairs is Marty turner from leamlane still looks the same but with white facial hair.

Hello Jeff - just spoken to old man Matty on the phone - he said he remembers a couple of nighters at Hofbrauhaus in Newcastle - mid 80s ? I think I'd left the NE by then but I remember Martha Reeves playing there about 82.

All the best

Manus

Social source share

Just remembered another one during that second mod revival period 79 onwards or maybe early 80's. It was a nighter at the Red Lion?? Chester Le Street - Bill Swift did it and there was a bus on from Newcastle. Manus - you were at that one I'm sure. Got back about 6 or 7 in the morning and without any money walked home up the central motorway (like you do!) Also Denton Hotel upstairs room around 1974ish always played a Northern spot though it was a general mobile disco night really and was on a Thursday so school the next day!!

Don't forget a current one on Bank Hols is the 1OAK restaurant bottom of Dean Street. DJ's from St Doms (Beatin Rhythm club last Sat of month) playing mainly Northern/Motown/RnB 5pm till whenever. Last one we played at was 6th May and was rammed. Jesmond British Legion club currently hosts the North East Soul Union as well. Every 2 months - next one July 7th. Along with the Swallow, Corporation club, Tommas Cricket Club - there's loads of our music being played in and around Newcastle/Gateshead!!

That nighter was at the Sombrero Tony ( it had been renamed Togo's by then) - Biff Swift and myself ran it and I put on a bus fron Newcastle - the nighter ran throughout 79.

Maybe this thread should be merged with the one about NE venues in All Our Yesterdays - Moderators ?

Cheers

Manus

Edited by manus
Social source share

That nighter was at the Sombrero Tony ( it had been renamed Togo's by then) - Biff Swift and myself ran it and I put on a bus fron Newcastle - the nighter ran throughout 79.

Maybe this thread should be merged with the one about NE venues in All Our Yesterdays - Moderators ?

Cheers

Manus

would do

bit awkward to do that right now as this thread is connected to a article and so merging may mess things up

and if it did, am not really in a place where could sort it out right now

will give it a go at weekend

on north east things

one memory have is once in early 90s was waiting in car in the metro car park, playing with the radio and tuned into a low strength radio station playing the jobel orchestra followed by an announcement by a dj with a really strong geordie accent and then darrell banks

as the signal wasn't strong and given the accent I took it as some pirate thing, was all a bit surreal at the time

Social source share

would do

bit awkward to do that right now as this thread is connected to a article and so merging may mess things up

and if it did, am not really in a place where could sort it out right now

will give it a go at weekend

on north east things

one memory have is once in early 90s was waiting in car in the metro car park, playing with the radio and tuned into a low strength radio station playing the jobel orchestra followed by an announcement by a dj with a really strong geordie accent and then darrell banks

as the signal wasn't strong and given the accent I took it as some pirate thing, was all a bit surreal at the time

Thanks Mike

Radio could have been one of the local stations as they play a lot of Soul but I remember doing a spot a couple of times for a pirate station run by some students in the west end of Newcastle and playing Soul and Reggae but that was the early 80s.

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!