News: Holy Spirit - Spiritual Soul and Gospel Funk From Shreveport's Jewel Label

Wow, some great tracks on this 2fer , off to buy a copy on Amazon as soon as I've posted this.

Hope it sells well enough for a Vol.2 ...... as there's still many great tracks to fit onto CD ....

........ How about these .........

The Violinaires -- "Doing My Thing" OR "Condition"

Brooklyn All Stars -- "We Need God" OR "Storehouse of His Love"

Willie Morganfield -- "Are You Satisfied" OR "You Are Blessed"

Bronner Brothers -- "Hold On To God's Unchanging Hand"

.. PLUS ..... an added task ahead ...........

I have the Morning Echoes of Detroit 45 track "How Do You Stand" but this is only 2min 40secs long. The 'singing bits' are great but too much of the 45 version is taken up with talking (rapping). There must be a longer version on tape with more & longer singing sections.

Your mission (if you take it) is to find , mix & release that version !!

Social source share

This should be a good one , thanks!

Also, as a timely inclusion, we re also delighted to include one of the rare records which made it into John Peel s legendary 7" record box the sensational "No More Ghettos In America" by Stanley Winston proof positive that Jewel's funky Gospel sound found supporters right across the spectrum!

This one was orginally on Golden, also out of Louisiana:

post-4944-0-94587000-1337676156_thumb.jp

Social source share

Thanks for posting this, Ian.......great to see it's almost ready for release!

A really great project to have been part of, mate!

It surprised the hell out of me Greg. I had no idea there were so many great Gospel/Funky cuts on Jewel until Dave bent my ear. The package is looking great by the way. I should have finished artwork today touch wood so I'll make sure you see it before it goes off.......

Ian D :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I noted this in another thread, but although it has no credits on the record, BPS Revolution brotherly love is a straight soundalike cover of the main ingredient.

Yeah, I've actually had to run the publishing credits by Paul Mooney since many of the original labels neither had songwriting credits or even publishers on. There's obvious covers of "If Loving You Is Wrong (I Don't Want To Be Right)", "I'm Glad Your Mine", "I'll Take You There" but the publishing credits are anything but easy. The Main Ingredient song is a good case in point. Hopefully we'll have 'em straightened out by the time of release..........

Social source share

Yeah, I've actually had to run the publishing credits by Paul Mooney since many of the original labels neither had songwriting credits or even publishers on. There's obvious covers of "If Loving You Is Wrong (I Don't Want To Be Right)", "I'm Glad Your Mine", "I'll Take You There" but the publishing credits are anything but easy. The Main Ingredient song is a good case in point. Hopefully we'll have 'em straightened out by the time of release..........

yeah it's even harder with the gospel records because they modify the songs to be about God, etc., often enough to be a derivative composition. But the BPS revolution is like a straight cover.

Social source share

This should be a good one , thanks!

This one was orginally on Golden, also out of Louisiana:

post-4944-0-94587000-1337676156_thumb.jp

Boy thats a new one on me, I thought it was just leased out to Jewel rather than it being pressed on Golden. It's one of the missing numbers in the Golden Discography on Dave Rimmers site.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

....... RE: We could have done with that for the booklet Roburt!

Ian, You only had to ask & a decent definition copy would have been yours.

I 'collect' stuff like that and at present am assisting Emily Gibson of the Black Archives in Miami stage a show about the entertainment scene in Overtown (Colored Town), Miami back in the 1950's / 60's / 70's.

Social source share

....... RE: We could have done with that for the booklet Roburt!

Ian, You only had to ask & a decent definition copy would have been yours.

I 'collect' stuff like that and at present am assisting Emily Gibson of the Black Archives in Miami stage a show about the entertainment scene in Overtown (Colored Town), Miami back in the 1950's / 60's / 70's.

Cool, we'll save it for Vol 2! Cheers Roburt!

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'm currently going through the THIRD set of masters of this album.

The mastering budget has doubled over the last 2 weeks but I think it's 100% worth it. Some serious restoration work has been performed to bring these recordings up to 2012 scratch. These recordings have never sounded so good. Sensational listening for someone like me who has never bothered investigating this area before. It sure has touched a chord with me and I'm blessed to be involved with this release - the diametric opposite of the PIR stuff but so, so down home deadly. A serious album.If you love Soul of course.

That's the beauty of this scene. You never stop learning and it's always pretty great!

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

OK, I'm currently going through the THIRD set of masters of this album.

The mastering budget has doubled over the last 2 weeks but I think it's 100% worth it. Some serious restoration work has been performed to bring these recordings up to 2012 scratch. These recordings have never sounded so good. Sensational listening for someone like me who has never bothered investigating this area before. It sure has touched a chord with me and I'm blessed to be involved with this release - the diametric opposite of the PIR stuff but so, so down home deadly. A serious album.If you love Soul of course.

That's the beauty of this scene. You never stop learning and it's always pretty great!

Cheers for taking the time for getting it right, mate.......definitely excited to see how the CD's sound given all the work gone into the mastering!

BTW.....How's the 45 coming along?

Social source share

Cheers for taking the time for getting it right, mate.......definitely excited to see how the CD's sound given all the work gone into the mastering!

BTW.....How's the 45 coming along?

It was well worth it Greg. I don't anyone will have heard 'em this good before - especially if they're used to Jewel pressings! :lol:

Right. Starting on the 45 today..........phew I don't have much time to breath these days LOL....

Promos going out to radio, press and online today so expect some great Gospel coverage over the next few weeks!

Social source share

Guest Paul

It's a great album, Ian.

Some of my favourite soul records are gospel and many other faves have a strong gospel spirit.

Gospel is the roots of soul.

Paul

Social source share

Guest Paul

Hello again, Ian.

It's a difficult situation.

Some songs could be classed as covers but others are adaptations and would fall into a similar category as sampling (but with regard to the songs rather than recordings).

If it's a simple and minimal rewording I would credit the original song and writers / publishers but if there are many new lyrics (or any musical changes) the work should be split into portions but deciding the portions is negotiable and that's the responsibility of the original publishers.

Another problem is that some of the people who did the adaptations aren't around and some didn't registered their "new works" so it's an impossible task.

You've done the right thing by investigating the songs. So, rather than have any delays, you should issue the album as it is (with credits from the US issues) and leave it to publishers to sort out any conflicts later. MCPS can always redistribute mechanical royalties if any claims are adjusted.

Paul

Social source share

Hello again, Ian.

It's a difficult situation.

Some songs could be classed as covers but others are adaptations and would fall into a similar category as sampling (but with regard to the songs rather than recordings).

If it's a simple and minimal rewording I would credit the original song and writers / publishers but if there are many new lyrics (or any musical changes) the work should be split into portions but deciding the portions is negotiable and that's the responsibility of the original publishers.

Another problem is that some of the people who did the adaptations aren't around and some didn't registered their "new works" so it's an impossible task.

You've done the right thing by investigating the songs. So, rather than have any delays, you should issue the album as it is (with credits from the US issues) and leave it to publishers to sort out any conflicts later. MCPS can always redistribute mechanical royalties if any claims are adjusted.

Paul

Yep, I figured you'd say that. On some of them I checked via BMI and Ascap and still couldn't find 'em! Still I've reaped as much as I can from the various databases and googling, so hopefully it's as spot-on as it can be. Many thanks for your help on this.

Cheers,

Ian :D

Social source share

Ian, what will the RRP (if there is such a thing anymore) for this 2fer CD (Amazon charged me £11 for it) ??

There's no such thing anymore Roburt. We can't dictate to Amazon, HMV, the exporters and the indies what profit margin they make on our releases. So it's like the wild west out there price wise.

Our DP (Dealer Price) is £6.50. One hopes that it'll be a tenner on the shelves but the whole pricing thing is going through something of a revolution at the moment as there's a pricing battle between Amazon and HMV, so prices can change overnight. It's a bit like Soul Source every week right after the Manship auction! :lol:

I noticed that Amazon have just dropped the price to £9.37.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=holy+spirit

....which is really the area that I wanted it to sell for, so I guess HMV should price @ £9.99 or thereabouts. It's really difficult to predict anything at the moment. My recent 4 x Disco Discharge releases which have have a £4.86 DP were in HMV @ £14.00 which was far too expensive in my opinion and on Amazon for under a tenner which was about right. 'Philadelphia International: The 40th Anniversary Box Set' was priced at lip-smaking £42 on Amazon and £45 in HMV which again, is about right.

However Harmless CD releases always increase in value and then leap in price once a title gets deleted, as Discogs, E-Bay and Amazon confirm. I'm still hunting for a couple of early Harmless releases from the 90's which I don't have but annoyingly they're too expensive for my tight pockets these days!

So the moral is: "shop around" as Smokey advised all those years ago.........

Social source share

CHEERS, no doubt I'll get a partial refund from Amazon when the 2fer comes.

OH, I didn't realise that they price-matched their lowest price and refunded early buyers for the difference! Is that what they do?

If they do that, then that fits another piece of the jigsaw into place. Can you confirm that Roburt?

Social source share

Well I know if they quote a lower price first & you order it at that point .... then their price increases; they sell it to you at the price they 1st quoted !!

When that happens, they always state that they sell it at the best price they can but always honour a lower price if you ordered when that was quoted.

I'm sort of hoping that when the price falls after an order, they will sell it to me at the best (lowest) price they have it on at (as they have not yet dispatched my copy of the CD).

Otherwise, surely I could just cancel my original order .... and then re-order at the new lower price.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Well I know if they quote a lower price first & you order it at that point .... then their price increases; they sell it to you at the price they 1st quoted !!

When that happens, they always state that they sell it at the best price they can but always honour a lower price if you ordered when that was quoted.

I'm sort of hoping that when the price falls after an order, they will sell it to me at the best (lowest) price they have it on at (as they have not yet dispatched my copy of the CD).

Mmm. Interesting. I know they have a very sophisticated computer tracking system that works to certain patterns and automatically adjusts the Amazon price if a competitor has a lower price. So an Amazon price can swing around a bit depending on the level of interest in a release.

I remember the price of the Backbeats releases dropping from £4.99 to £3.93 almost overnight. It's an efficient system for sure and Amazon's sales on Harmless releases have jumped circa 4-500% in the last year, so I'm not complaining. They're actually using the same model that the supermarkets used when they started stocking CD's, namely, trying to price everyone else out of the market. They're really the leaders of the new way of shopping and the more people order online, the bigger they'll get. It's sure changed from the 1960's ay?

Social source share

Cmon Mr D, get working overtime, delivery put back by Amazon again, I hope you are not sleeping or having the evening off!!!

Anticipation building nicely for this, the Philly Box set should be on doormat by time I get home, its a good time to be buying re-issue CD's.

Feel free to buy me a pint if we ever meet off your profits (the rest of your profits should just about buy you one I imagine! :D )

Social source share

Cmon Mr D, get working overtime, delivery put back by Amazon again, I hope you are not sleeping or having the evening off!!!

Anticipation building nicely for this, the Philly Box set should be on doormat by time I get home, its a good time to be buying re-issue CD's.

Feel free to buy me a pint if we ever meet off your profits (the rest of your profits should just about buy you one I imagine! :D )

That extra week was down to some intricate repair work on 19 masters, which has made a FANTASTIC difference to the sound quality so hopefully it's worth it!

Are you in London Jocko? I'm off Great Tichfield St if you fancy a pint or two......... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Blimey, "Holy Spirit" has just turned up on this month's Uncut playlist! I'm hoping we get some support from some other areas on this release - Uncut, Mojo, The Word etc, etc. These areas can be really supportive for this type of release, so hopefully we'll get a well-rounded audience with this release.............

https://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/wild-mercury-sound/the-23rd-uncut-playlist-of-2012

Social source share

But is there any 'light at the end of the tunnel' yet ??

Hope the release date ain't still (to quote Art Freeman) Slippin Around (or Slippin away even).

This is accurate and now updated with all the correct info on, so light is deffo appearing at the end of the tunnel now - released in a mere 12 days!

Should have finished copies in my mitts tomorrow touch wood.........

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007O3VO2Y/ref=s9_simh_bw_p15_d0_g15_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=0PERBVVC6DXXZ7XHSDGB&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=234852867&pf_rd_i=229816

Social source share

That extra week was down to some intricate repair work on 19 masters, which has made a FANTASTIC difference to the sound quality so hopefully it's worth it!

Are you in London Jocko? I'm off Great Tichfield St if you fancy a pint or two......... :thumbsup:

Just seen this when I came in to whip you some more into working all weekend and hand delivering the outstanding orders!

I am based in Edinburgh, did spend a lot of midweek down there last year, but not so much this year, bloody crap economy. Hope to spend more time down 2nd half working so if so will definitely allow you to wine and dine me on your expenses, nice cheap Chinese down back of D'Arblay street, should get a meal for 2 for £10 :D

Social source share

i'm pretty keen to check this out.

I'll send you one Kris 'cos I don't think I sorted you out with your help on the 'Mod Life Crisis" album did I? A certain degree of personal irresponsibility and no time basically, so PM your address and I'll zap you one.

Also, good timing 'cos something's coming up which is right in your arena.....

Social source share

Fantastic set - have to have it! Just out of interest The Fantastic Violinaires I m Not Worried is also on 45 - wonderful track!

Most of it was new to me Mike.

When I was digging around Jewel/Paula/Ronn in the 70's most of it was too 'raw' for me apart from the Montclairs, Tommie Young, Bobby Walls & Co and a few others. So I never even bothered with the Gospel output. So hearing this compilation has been a bit of a revelation. I never realised that Leroy Hutson and George Clinton were so involved with Gospel for a start. Some very interesting stuff on here. Dave and Greg did a superlative job compiling this. To think I've been sat on this repertoire for the last couple of years without realising the wealth of the catalogue is just embarassing LOL.

Some really good input is coming in from a variety of sources on this and I think we'll score some serious radio plays in the next week or two, so it'll be interesting to see whether there's an appetite for this release.

You're never too old to learn ay?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I'll send you one Kris 'cos I don't think I sorted you out with your help on the 'Mod Life Crisis" album did I? A certain degree of personal irresponsibility and no time basically, so PM your address and I'll zap you one.

Also, good timing 'cos something's coming up which is right in your arena.....

PM'd :thumbsup:

Social source share

Just seen this when I came in to whip you some more into working all weekend and hand delivering the outstanding orders!

I am based in Edinburgh, did spend a lot of midweek down there last year, but not so much this year, bloody crap economy. Hope to spend more time down 2nd half working so if so will definitely allow you to wine and dine me on your expenses, nice cheap Chinese down back of D'Arblay street, should get a meal for 2 for £10 :D

It's good to know that you're in-tune with the current parlous state of record companies. These days the artists feel so sorry for us that they usually invite us out for a meal LOL...

As it happens I've got a great 'lil private place around the corner that's full of impoverished actors and ex record company execs where you can get a full home-cooked Italian meal for under a tenner including drinks so lemme know when you're next in town...

Social source share

Another beautiful finished package with a lovely booklet.....

Out this Monday!

Zooming up the Amazon rankings as we speak!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007O3VO2Y/ref=s9_simh_bw_p15_d4_g15_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=0KRTB1ENGJA74X0RWM5T&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=234852867&pf_rd_i=229816

Plus a few Radio plays happening......

Radio

Craig Charles - BBC 6 Music : Play Confirmed

Jazzie B - BBC Radio London 94.9 FM / Solar R adio : Play Confirmed

Mark Dean - BBC Radio Northampton/ Inspiration FM : Play Confirmed

Jim Ingham - BBC Radio Lancashire : Play Confirmed

Steve Barker - BBC Radio Lancashire : Play Confirmed

Devon Daley - BBC Radio Derby / Nottingham & Lincoln : Play Confirmed

John Leech - BBC Radio Essex / Time 107. 5 FM : Play Confirmed

Paul Miller - BBC Radio Solent / Surrey, Sussex & Berkshire : Play Confirmed

Steve White - BBC Radio Yorkshire : Play Confirmed

Robert Luis - Juice 107.2 FM : Play Confirmed

Peter P - Time 107.5 FM : Play Confirmed

Simon Harrison - Basic Soul : Play Confirmed

Ross Allen- Ministry Of Sound Radio : Play & Interview Feature Confirmed

Mike Bradshaw - Totally Radio : Play Confirmed

Dave Burton - Soulconnextion : Play Confirmed + Album Playlisted

DK (Coldcut) - Various Stations : Play Confirmed

Laurent Garnier - Pedro's Broadcasting Basement/Various : Play Confirmed

Aitch B - Colourful Radio : Play Confirmed

Marcia Carr - Colourful Radio : Play Confirmed

Fitzroy The Buzzboy - Colourful/Stomp Radio : Play Confirmed

Andy Peebles - Smooth Radio : Play Confirmed

Keith Martin - Magic Network : Play & Interview Feature Confirmed

Christian Bragg - Jazz FM : Play Confirmed

Robbie Vincent - Jazz FM : Play Confirmed

Peter Young - Jazz FM : Play Confirmed

Mike Chadwick - Jazz FM : Play Confirmed

Colin Curtis - Starpoint Radio : Play Confirmed

Dave Needham - Starpoint Radio : Play Confirmed

Gary Spence - Solar Radio : Play & Interview Feature Confirmed

Kev Roberts - Solar/Signal Radio : Play Confirmed

Colin Faver - Solar Radio : Play Confirmed

Mark Phillips - Solar Radio : Play Confirmed

Mario Chrisostomou - BFBS Radio : Play & Interview Feature Confirmed

Graeme Park - Various : Play & Online Competition Confirmed

Brian Hurst - Various : Play Confirmed

Press

Forthcoming - press (reviews)

Mojo

Uncut

Wire

Record Collector

Shindig!

Echoes

The Soul Survivors

Online:

https://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/wild-mercury-sound/the-23rd-uncut-playlist-of-2012

https://www.soulandjazzandfunk.com/reviews/1781-various-holy-spirit-harmless.html

Looking good for Monday!

Social source share

I got some promo copies over the last coupla days Ian, and I have to say I'm mighty pleased with the finished article! The overall package looks great and the booklet is superb..............smashin' job well done, sir.

And to be getting so much support from the airwaves is just fantastic.

Thanks to all concerned on getting this collection of such heartfelt soul music the opportunity to reach a wider audience!

Social source share

I got some promo copies over the last coupla days Ian, and I have to say I'm mighty pleased with the finished article! The overall package looks great and the booklet is superb..............smashin' job well done, sir.

And to be getting so much support from the airwaves is just fantastic.

Thanks to all concerned on getting this collection of such heartfelt soul music the opportunity to reach a wider audience!

Hi Greg and welcome back to the UK mate. Hopefully we'll meet up next week. I had to close my Harmless Olympics album this week so it's been a bit mad but all done now, so hopefully we'll hook up next week. Plus my radio guy is lining up interviews which is a good sign.

I'm absolutely knocked out with the reaction to what is essentially a double CD of 50 year old Gospel music. We haven't had a lot of time to promote this but luckily we've stoked it enough to put it on the map. It demonstrates that there is an audience out there for great music if you can reach them (which is the half the battle these days).

Right now it's the 1449th best-selling album on Amazon, which is amazing considering the content. It's looking pretty good for Monday!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007O3VO2Y/ref=s9_simh_bw_p15_d4_g15_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=0KRTB1ENGJA74X0RWM5T&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=234852867&pf_rd_i=229816

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ian,

I'm a happy chappy as I just got this message from Amazon ...

Amazon.co.uk item dispatched .... Holy Spirit: Spiritual Soul CD ... £9.37

So I'm glad I cancelled my original order (when I was charged £10.99) & re-ordered at £9.37.

Still not as good as their current price (£8.99) but I'm not gonna complain bout that.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!