Info On The Professionals -That's Why I Love You

Mrtag

Hmmmmm tis a strange one this one, was out with the late Mr coleby, when he showed me a copy of this in a sales box, he then told me that richard searling had the only other copy,

I take it that was a few years back Harry ? Hope you and Di are keeping well... Atb John.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I take it that was a few years back Harry ? Hope you and Di are keeping well... Atb John.

Yeh early eighties John, to be honest it was the first i`d heard about yellow/gold vinyl copies, sure it was either Parr hall warrington or clifton hall, i remember him dragging me to look at the record and then telling me the story of Richards copy, he was ever so excited :lol: were fine John, hope your the same :thumbsup:

Edited by HARRY CROSBY
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Hi there I thought it was gold and rob Marriott had one ? probably be playing mine (plain black ) at Stables tomorrow night if anyone fancies a dance to it regards Simon.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Great record. Interesting information.

:thumbsup:

tiss a great tune and the other side another version of did my baby call (Steve Mancha ) is cock on can anyone confirm either way if steve Mancha was the lead vocal with the professional regards S.

Social source share

tiss a great tune and the other side another version of did my baby call (Steve Mancha ) is cock on can anyone confirm either way if steve Mancha was the lead vocal with the professional regards S.

Steve Calloway is the lead singer of the Professionals but he says that the "B" side is another take of Steve Mancha And not the Professionals :g::yes:

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Steve Calloway is the lead singer of the Professionals but he says that the "B" side is another take of Steve Mancha And not the Professionals :g::yes:

Thank you sir,

Social source share

Hi there I thought it was gold and rob Marriott had one ? probably be playing mine (plain black ) at Stables tomorrow night if anyone fancies a dance to it regards Simon.

Rob's was deffo black vinyl, I remember someone having a gold one for sale at Blackburn in 80's.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Rob's was deffo black vinyl, I remember someone having a gold one for sale at Blackburn in 80's.

Cheers mate.

Social source share

Yes , I got this off a friend from Cleveland Ohio, who found it at a record fair in the States in the early 80s. I remember showing it around Stafford one night when he was visiting the Uk and people being pretty amazed by it. I acquired it towards the end of the 80's from my friend and sold it to Richard in '94 - He told me he wanted to buy it for his accountant as a gift! He must have saved him some money that year! A real oddity and I never knew of any other copy at the time.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Remember Rob playing a different take, it had a longer intro if I remember right, round about 1991 I think he got it, think I have it on a tape somewhere.

Kev

Social source share

Remember Rob playing a different take, it had a longer intro if I remember right, round about 1991 I think he got it, think I have it on a tape somewhere.

Kev

thats correct, rob had one of the alternative versions cut onto a acetate, he got it off someone who was involved in goldmine / soul supply who had the masters for the forthcoming "groovesville masters" series of cd's, the version that rob played later came out on a goldmine 7's 45

Social source share

thats correct, rob had one of the alternative versions cut onto a acetate, he got it off someone who was involved in goldmine / soul supply who had the masters for the forthcoming "groovesville masters" series of cd's, the version that rob played later came out on a goldmine 7's 45

I think this came from Martin Koppell via his deal with Don Davis? The alternate take came out on Tim's Connoisseur label with an unreleased Edwin Starr song on the flip, whilst the original take came out on a Goldmine 7s with Sister Lee on the flip, If anyone has a test pressing or advance copy of the Connoisseur disc (printed font), I'd be interested.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

didn't Tim Ashebende have an alterntive cut when he found that guy at a record fair who had a load of acetates ?regards S.

Social source share

This outfit were doing lots of gigs down in Miami in 1968 ......

I'm positive that Eddie Holloway (a solo singer plus member of the Soul Pleasers & vocalist on 3rd Guitar 45) and Sharon Robinson were just other singers on the bill; they had no actual connection with the Professionals.

post-22122-0-03044900-1338013340_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

This outfit were doing lots of gigs down in Miami in 1968 ......

I'm positive that Eddie Holloway (a solo singer plus member of the Soul Pleasers & vocalist on 3rd Guitar 45) and Sharon Robinson were just other singers on the bill; they had no actual connection with the Professionals.

maybe that means the photo is a totally different group? it is a pretty generic group name. Can anyone match the face of Steve with the group photo?

Edited by boba
Social source share

maybe that means the photo is a totally different group? it is a pretty generic group name. Can anyone match the face of Steve with the group photo?

Could it possibly be the other Professionals who did that absolute gem "My Heart Belongs To You" on Action Pac Boba ?

Kev

Social source share

Could it possibly be the other Professionals who did that absolute gem "My Heart Belongs To You" on Action Pac Boba ?

Kev

That professionals is the Hollywood Saxons. Given that they were from LA and the shows advertised are Miami it's probably not that group either.

Social source share

I seem to recall that another ad I have for a show they did in Miami says ... DIRECT FROM DETROIT ...

I'll look it out & confirm this.

BTW, the photo above my ad post is lifted from another ad; the ad I posted just uses a 'cropped' version of it.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

As good a record as this is, it actually became one of the first overplayed records for me personally. Rob Marriott hammered it at our local soul night (Trotters) for what seems like the whole of the 80s

By the end of that venue I couldn't stand to hear it (also had it a tape from him which i played regularly in the car)

After a long break i can enjoy listening to it again

(no doubt it'll be played at the upcoming Trotters reunion)

Social source share

Mr. Walters gets a mention coz (apart from his shop being just across the road from the club) he promoted a lot of shows at the club.

He did fashion nights (where wigs figured prominently of course) but he also had his own record label & did 45 release promo nights there & he also ran other 'live show' nights at the club.

Can't recall who it was that he released 45's on at present (but they're collectable singles) .... memories shot .... I'll check & post again with further details.

Social source share

The Continental Club is billed as 'World Famous' coz it used to operate under the name of the 'King O' Hearts'.

Back in 1960, it was the club where Dave Prater met Sam Moore and they started performing together as a duo .... they played solidly at 6000 NW 7th Avenue (in Overtown, Miami) for the next 3 years -- usually 6 nights a week ..... when they signed with Roulette 3+ years later, the record company shortened their name to SAM & DAVE ..... you may have heard of em !!

BTW, Mr. Walters label was Wax-Wel and his artist was Mr. Percolator.

I've got some ads for Mr. Percolator 45 promotional nights that were held at the Continental Club.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Yes , I got this off a friend from Cleveland Ohio, who found it at a record fair in the States in the early 80s. I remember showing it around Stafford one night when he was visiting the Uk and people being pretty amazed by it. I acquired it towards the end of the 80's from my friend and sold it to Richard in '94 - He told me he wanted to buy it for his accountant as a gift! He must have saved him some money that year! A real oddity and I never knew of any other copy at the time.

Thats Dickie!! :yes: :yes:

Social source share

I would say that Steve is the one at the back......or to the left as you look at them... :thumbsup:

Edited by mrtag
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

didn't Tim Ashebende have an alterntive cut when he found that guy at a record fair who had a load of acetates ?regards S.

Yes Tim did have a acetate of the alternative cut that ended up with Dean Anderson at some point and then I think I had it somewhere but not sure what I did with it..

Social source share

Here is the a photo of the Professionals, one of Steve's own.

post-225-0-98867800-1338062232_thumb.jpg

Great photo. Compared this photo and the another photo above and I can see the guy at the left of this photo looks the same guy at the 2nd from the left on the photo above, and the guy at the right looks the same guy at the right on the photo above. The guy in the center of this photo must be Steve Calloway. Am I right?

Edited by picky
Social source share

Here is the a photo of the Professionals, one of Steve's own.

post-225-0-98867800-1338062232_thumb.jpg

Looking at this photo Chalky I would say Steve is the one in the middle that would make him the second one in from the right on the other photo..... I will be speaking with "Hitsville Chalky" on here later today who is a good friend of Steve's and the promoter who brought the Fabulous Peps & then Steve on his own over here so he should know for sure..... :yes::thumbsup:

Social source share

Looking at this photo Chalky I would say Steve is the one in the middle that would make him the second one in from the right on the other photo..... I will be speaking with "Hitsville Chalky" on here later today who is a good friend of Steve's and the promoter who brought the Fabulous Peps & then Steve on his own over here so he should know for sure..... :yes::thumbsup:

it would be great if someone could do an interview and post a recording or transcription on the web for people to see. It probably wouldn't be a lot of work as they only had that one record, and it would be super informative.

Social source share

Professionals.jpg

Anyone can help?

Is this group the one we are talking about? If so, which one is the lead singer, Steve Calloway? Who are the other members??

Steve is the second guy to the right of the photo . the other photo which chalky posted steve is in the middle . There is a bio on the group somewhere on here which i did when steve first came over to the uk ... 1st time he came as part of the fabulous peps with joe harris , 2nd time we did a groovesville Review with steve solo we did about 5 venues , There is 4 difffrent takes .... the first take was going to be called " I really love my baby " . I do have a video interview with steve will try and upload on here over the next few days , like chalky says he is on facebook ..great wacky loving guy add him as a friend . would anyone like to see steve again if i brought him back over for a few venue's ? also Blue max took steve out one day i think he met up with Dickie and it was Gold steve had a photo took with it .

Edited by Hitsville Chalky
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!