Info On The Professionals -That's Why I Love You

Mrtag

it would be great if someone could do an interview and post a recording or transcription on the web for people to see. It probably wouldn't be a lot of work as they only had that one record, and it would be super informative.

Why not get in touch Bob and interview him in one of your shows?

Social source share

Why not get in touch Bob and interview him in one of your shows?

I have a huge backlog of chicago artists to interview already. I was thinking about doing just a phone interview and posting. But some other people have radio shows and need people to interview, so it would great for them too.

Social source share

OK, in the picture of the group I posted (in the ads for shows they did in Miami) the 4 guys (left to right) are ....

... Regge Green (RIP),Fred (Fast Freddie) Anderson, Steve Calloway & Nance (Swiggle) Connor.

........... info direct from Steve Calloway.

Social source share

OK, in the picture of the group I posted (in the ads for shows they did in Miami) the 4 guys (left to right) are ....

... Regge Green (RIP),Fred (Fast Freddie) Anderson, Steve Calloway & Nance (Swiggle) Connor.

........... info direct from Steve Calloway.

Great info. Thank you.

Social source share

you mention simon soussan having the first copy of a gold /yellow proffessionals and now suddenly there is a bad smell in the air.i would love to get a look at one of these to compare with the black vinyl copy. i wonder if steve calloway remembers seeing a copy back then

Social source share

you mention simon soussan having the first copy of a gold /yellow proffessionals and now suddenly there is a bad smell in the air.i would love to get a look at one of these to compare with the black vinyl copy. i wonder if steve calloway remembers seeing a copy back then

Although, Simon did lots of shady things, he also had a massive collection of rare originals. Also with one being found way up in Ohio by Robin S, I would say they were real. Detroit did lots of colored vinyl limited pressings, so again, not that odd. If Simon had pressed it on gold, way more would have turned up, as he was a businessman and he would have wanted to sell them, also most would have come direct to the UK, as that was his main market back then.

Social source share

hmmmm, and they turned up in 1976 / 77 when coloured vinyl was all the rage

Social source share

Although, Simon did lots of shady things, he also had a massive collection of rare originals. Also with one being found way up in Ohio by Robin S, I would say they were real. Detroit did lots of colored vinyl limited pressings, so again, not that odd. If Simon had pressed it on gold, way more would have turned up, as he was a businessman and he would have wanted to sell them, also most would have come direct to the UK, as that was his main market back then.

He could have done them as test pressings maybe?

Not saying he did...

Social source share

Richard Watt wrote this for the 45th issue of Manifesto in 2003. He doesn't reveal much that hasn't been aired here already, but it's an interesting read anyway.

And attached is Richard's gold copy.

Detroit El Dorado

Subject: Rare Detroit, single item

Date: mid eighties

After many abortive trips, I had convinced my ageing soul fanatic friend and erstwhile DJ, that he would be better concentrating on exclusive '70s/'80s product.

The plan had been to display my "total" knowledge of unknown '70s gained over many years lurching around the Mecca and in particular Mr Diamond's box - not his lunchbox, I hasten to add.

To my horror, I quickly realised that my target already had all the '70s and '80s rarities I had, but, even worse everything I didn't have. For example, rather unfairly, the only item I didn't have on Sound Gems was there hiding in a corner, Billy Harner's "I Got it from Heaven"!

Despite this setback, I pressed on aware that my friend had temporarily lost interest in rare '60s mainly as a result of continually being asked to play the same records at every venue he attended. I naturally sympathised with this, denounced all overplayed sounds, and at the same time put to one side, one or too that we agreed were not just overplayed but clearly could be classified as totally shagged out!

I was a little surprised to find that my "stash" included Al Williams, the Inspirations on Breakthrough, Professionals and four or five more of equal rarity. I drove North with one, Al Williams, but despite all sorts of pressure nothing else.

Now as any self respecting collector knows you have to strike while the iron is hot; sadly I failed badly, as within a week the rest of my stash had mysteriously vanished.

Smarting badly and with nothing better to exert pressure than the fact that the records had been "promised" to me, nevertheless another visit was planned. Undertakings were given - I would cease being a pest but efforts would be made to find me a Professionals.

Fast forward to the late '80s, when look what turns up unannounced free of charge.

Groove City 101, yes...Sound Inc C10045 in the dead wax, yes...The Professionals, yes...but the vinyl is GOLD!

And this isn't some reincarnated pressing, as the dead wax details match my own copies of Gail Nevels and Gwen Owens.

I do know now who brought this particular item in to the UK but just how did this Northern classic get issued on gold vinyl " surely not advertising...answers to the Ed.

RICHARD í"¹" WATT

post-6606-0-75200300-1338379023_thumb.jp

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Richard Watt wrote this for the 45th issue of Manifesto in 2003. He doesn't reveal much that hasn't been aired here already, but it's an interesting read anyway.

Detroit El Dorado

After many abortive trips, I had convinced my ageing soul fanatic friend and erstwhile DJ, that he would be better concentrating on exclusive '70s/'80s product.

The plan had been to display my "total" knowledge of unknown '70s gained over many years lurching around the Mecca and in particular Mr Diamond's box - not his lunchbox, I hasten to add.

To my horror, I quickly realised that my target already had all the '70s and '80s rarities I had, but, even worse everything I didn't have. For example, rather unfairly, the only item I didn't have on Sound Gems was there hiding in a corner, Billy Harner's "I Got it from Heaven"!

Despite this setback, I pressed on aware that my friend had temporarily lost interest in rare '60s mainly as a result of continually being asked to play the same records at every venue he attended. I naturally sympathised with this, denounced all overplayed sounds, and at the same time put to one side, one or too that we agreed were not just overplayed but clearly could be classified as totally shagged out!

I was a little surprised to find that my "stash" included Al Williams, the Inspirations on Breakthrough, Professionals and four or five more of equal rarity. I drove North with one, Al Williams, but despite all sorts of pressure nothing else.

Now as any self respecting collector knows you have to strike while the iron is hot; sadly I failed badly, as within a week the rest of my stash had mysteriously vanished.

Smarting badly and with nothing better to exert pressure than the fact that the records had been "promised" to me, nevertheless another visit was planned. Undertakings were given - I would cease being a pest but efforts would be made to find me a Professionals.

Fast forward to the late '80s, when look what turns up unannounced free of charge.

Groove City 101, yes...Sound Inc C10045 in the dead wax, yes...The Professionals, yes...but the vinyl is GOLD!

And this isn't some reincarnated pressing, as the dead wax details match my own copies of Gail Nevels and Gwen Owens.

I do know now who brought this particular item in to the UK but just how did this Northern classic get issued on gold vinyl " surely not advertising...answers to the Ed.

RICHARD í"¹" WATT

nice to see a good picture of it and compare it with the black plastic copy

Social source share

Dave ... Steve never seen the 45 until he came over here in 2008 and i took him to blue max shop and max showed him his copy .

Social source share

Clarkie had my old copy Dave, he moaned about my name on the label :yes:

Steve

think my next copy went to Greety? or Trev ? i know it was at Porthcawl and to someone from Southampton !

hi steve, it was greety who had the professionals, i had to settle for the consolation prize of tamala lewis for 30 quid, think the professionals was 40, used to love those porthcawl nights, in fact the night in question was the first time i d.j'd at porthcawl, would have been about 1984, a mass wild west brawl broke out half way through my spot

Edited by trev thomas
Social source share

• 6 years later...
On 30/05/2012 at 12:57, Stuart Russell said:

Detroit El Dorado

RICHARD í"¹" WATT

post-6606-0-75200300-1338379023_thumb.jp

Would love to know who the credits were on this side no one seems to have asked :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!