Gregory Porter - 1960 What?

Sure some of you will have bought the recent release of the stunning Gregory Porter - 1960what limited release for record store day & were also lead to believe that there were only 500 hand numbered copy's.

Actually bought a copy myself even though I had the cd release from a few months ago as I rather wrongly thought that there were only going to be 500 as stated by Richard Searling & Ralph Tee who own / run Expansion records.

Also a few people have been paying up to 50 pounds a copy for what Expansion said was a limited release.

Now look at this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREGORY-PORTER-1960-What-Original-Mix-NEW-SOUL-R-B-12-VINYL-EXPANSION?item=160809007107&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8740312541290080718#ht_4281wt_944

An Expansion issue of said record.

An explanation would be nice for the 500 cheated collectors who thought they were getting a limited release.

Social source share

Sure some of you will have bought the recent release of the stunning Gregory Porter - 1960what limited release for record store day & were also lead to believe that there were only 500 hand numbered copy's.

Actually bought a copy myself even though I had the cd release from a few months ago as I rather wrongly thought that there were only going to be 500 as stated by Richard Searling & Ralph Tee who own / run Expansion records.

Also a few people have been paying up to 50 pounds a copy for what Expansion said was a limited release.

Now look at this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREGORY-PORTER-1960-What-Original-Mix-NEW-SOUL-R-B-12-VINYL-EXPANSION?item=160809007107&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8740312541290080718#ht_4281wt_944

An Expansion issue of said record.

An explanation would be nice for the 500 cheated collectors who thought they were getting a limited release.

Cheers mate

Just bought the last one :thumbsup:

Social source share

Yes Cunnie, Expansion suck on this one. Got a numbered 12 for £10, with a bit of effort, but the moral to the story is if you're going to hype up a 12 as a "special record store day" limited thing, don't go issuing it again a month later....makes a mockery of the whole 'collecting' thing.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

these are second issues and are nothing like the numbered 500 , looking at ebay it has driven down the resale value by half !, at least the artist is making a well deserved profit for a great record i might add , and people who missed out 1st time can purchase at the correct price ........atb diddy

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Yes Cunnie, Expansion suck on this one. Got a numbered 12 for £10, with a bit of effort, but the moral to the story is if you're going to hype up a 12 as a "special record store day" limited thing, don't go issuing it again a month later....makes a mockery of the whole 'collecting' thing.

Exactly Steve.

Bought my numbered 12 like you as thought it was a nice collectors item & had already legally paid for the download then also bought the cd album.

Expansion should know better.

these are second issues and are nothing like the numbered 500 , looking at ebay it has driven down the resale value by half !, at least the artist is making a well deserved profit for a great record i might add , and people who missed out 1st time can purchase at the correct price ........atb diddy

They are not 2nd issues but 4th issues. Download first, CD album 2nd, So called limited issue 3rd & then this.

Expansion have sold the 12 under false pretences stating that there were only going to be 500.

As for people buying it at the correct price they can buy the cd or download the track for a fraction of the price.

Maybe Expansion should have given it a full release in the first place rather than misleading people with the so called collectors release.

Social source share

Yep. Somebody please wake me up when it's available on a 7". Great track that I can hear on the internet anytime I want regardless of 'pressing', but I'm silly about format (like many of you). Could give a rat's ass about a 12".

Social source share

Expansion should know better.

Expansion have sold the 12 under false pretences stating that there were only going to be 500.

Maybe Expansion should have given it a full release in the first place rather than misleading people with the so called collectors release.

Needless and unjustified Martin, dear me.

Roger

Edited by Roger Williams
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Check these two out

first one 14 sold more than 10 available

second 5 sold more than 10 available

https://www.ebay.co.u...=item3cc69e0e9d

https://www.ebay.co.u...=item3cc69e0e9d

:wicked:

This claims to be the limited edition and it is on a different label ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREGORY-PORTER-1960-What-Original-Mix-NEW-12-VINYL-LTD-EDITION-EXPANSION-/150822700690?pt=UK_Records&hash=item231dbbc692

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

Chill Mart! The 'limited' release looks completely different and has cute little numbers on to satisfy us train spotting saddos!...

Hey I hope Expansion sell a million of the (ahem) '2nd' (or whatever) issue and Gregory Porter gets to number 1 on the poptastic top 20 or whatever it is they have nowadays! He was fantabulous live at southport / minehead and if he can get a few quid out of it then good luck to him (and to expansion!)

Surely its about giving this superbly superb tune the opportunity to get further out to the masses and not just to satisfy us vinyl nutters. Ain't it??? Please, please say it is...

Anyway, we've got our numbered trophy to cuddle in bed on a cold winters evening.. YIPEEE!!! Gregory's selling more units, DOUBLE YIPPEEE!! Win-win situation!! :)

Social source share

Well said mate :thumbsup:

Surely we're not gonna go down the ovo, 1st issue etc road with Expansion,

or are we :lol:

Social source share

Guest brivinyl

Well said mate :thumbsup:

Surely we're not gonna go down the ovo, 1st issue etc road with Expansion,

or are we :lol:

Both the recent Expansion vinyl 12" releases have only being made available because of demand from the soul scene. Let's face it this tune is now an oldie it's been about that long on download and CD.

Social source share

That is the record day edition ?!

Hope they sell a million of the issue to people who like to buy new releases on vinyl, thus encouraging future releases on the label and so the artist gets some royalties in.

As for anyone moaning, maybe you just need to lock yourself in the bathroom and have a good stare at the label then drop yer trousers for a right good w...

;)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Think some on here are missing the point.

When it was released for record store day it was advertised as a 500 only limited release & that was it as were several other things & as far as I know none of them have been given a general release.

It was also mentioned that it was being limited to 500 copy's as Montema / Tokyo Dawn & Expansion had agreed that amount to prevent damage to future sales (my guess is it was to be on the Togethernes 2012 album).

Now as some have mentioned I also agree that it sells loads but why oh why lie to the collectors & tell us it was a limited release of 500. Goes against everything that Record Store Day stands for IMO so as I said earlier why not just give it a full release in the first place?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

That is the record day edition ?!

Hope they sell a million of the issue to people who like to buy new releases on vinyl, thus encouraging future releases on the label and so the artist gets some royalties in.

As for anyone moaning, maybe you just need to lock yourself in the bathroom and have a good stare at the label then drop yer trousers for a right good w...

;)

Personally mate i prefer to play my records ! but what ever floats your boat ! :lol:
Social source share

I would rather like to think that Expansion simply underestimated the demand (unlike some of us......he says, wishing he'd have followed his nose on this one and pursued issuing it himself when no-one seemed interested, being CONVINCED of it's saleability!) and in business terms just realised that they were missing an opportunity by not pressing more.

And it's certainly not their fault that folks go mental and pay £50 a time for copies!

Cheers,

Mark R

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I would rather like to think that Expansion simply underestimated the demand (unlike some of us......he says, wishing he'd have followed his nose on this one and pursued issuing it himself when no-one seemed interested, being CONVINCED of it's saleability!) and in business terms just realised that they were missing an opportunity by not pressing more.

And it's certainly not their fault that folks go mental and pay £50 a time for copies!

Cheers,

Mark R

Hello Mark, well they created an instant collectible didn't they? Nothing wrong with that since the majority of sales have been via legal download or CD, so GP hasn't missed out and the 12 was always going to be a bit 'quirky' / DJ elitist. And as already said "record store day" is designed to get people to use their local record shops rather than shopping online. There are also plenty of very limited runs of 7s being done most of which are sailing by many folks on the scene. Look at the demand for Jo Stance once the Normans finally sniffed it out....plenty of other sounds have floated by 'undetected'.

I actually don't think the reissue 12 of this (if I can call it that) will be a great seller for Expansion and will probably end up in cut outs / discount bins. Why spend £6.50 on a track you already have on CD / download unless your a vinyl junkie? And if you are a vinyl junkie you'll always crave the "limited" edition. And Paul judging by your post, remind me not to buy any 2nd hand vinyl from you m8...gives a whole new meaning to the universally accepted abbreviation 'WOL' :lol:

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Think some on here are missing the point.

When it was released for record store day it was advertised as a 500 only limited release & that was it as were several other things & as far as I know none of them have been given a general release.

It was also mentioned that it was being limited to 500 copy's as Montema / Tokyo Dawn & Expansion had agreed that amount to prevent damage to future sales (my guess is it was to be on the Togethernes 2012 album).

Now as some have mentioned I also agree that it sells loads but why oh why lie to the collectors & tell us it was a limited release of 500. Goes against everything that Record Store Day stands for IMO so as I said earlier why not just give it a full release in the first place?

No Martin, it's you who's missing the point, by a considerable way.

Expansion are a record company and pandering to tiny minded self-absorbed crying-arse collectors doesn't keep the business running Martin, I thought you of all people would have the intelligence to realise that. It's the ridiculous public accusations of Ralph Tee and Expansion 'cheating', 'misleading', 'selling under false pretences' that has really got my back up, because that is just stupid beyond my comprehension not to mention offensive on Ralph Tee's character - the release was initially limited to coincide with Record Store Day and that was all it set out as, nothing more, nothing less, but the demand for the record was unexpected and unprecedented so they took the business decision, 100% right in the real world, to press up more to satisfy that demand worldwide and take the opportunity to capitalise on the demand for one of their releases, which is exactly what any RECORD COMPANY would do, even more so in this day and age.

I can just imagine the Expansion receptionist picking up the phone in response to a customer ringing in for a copy saying 'No, I'm sorry, we've sold out and two people on Soul Source will be upset if we press some more so you'll have to do without and we'll lose out on sales in these times of recession', it'd be like a Two Ronnies out-take.

A silly and utterly pointless thread started by one of the forum's moderators with the intention of doing down one of the UK's premier soul music labels who've been in business for over 25 years. Good work mate, give yourself a pat on the back.

Roger

Edited by Roger Williams
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I think the Record Day editions are always great to have aren't they? Whichever way you look at it, any one who owns one has one of the first 500 copies on 12". I know they went like wildfire 'cos even I, the king of the blaggers, couldn't get one and Ralph's a mate LOL........ :lol:

This is a difficult release to guage demand for though. The record is crossing over to a number of different scenes both here and abroad and has even become mainstream in some areas, so there is a much bigger demand than usual for a 12" of this record. It's probably the best Jazz dancer of the last 20 years or so and people are responding accordingly. If it keeps crossing over to wider audiences then it should be available for sure and rather I'd rather have Expansion market it rather then other labels. Records like this don't crop up that often and will probably drive a lot more people to both the music and record stores which in my opinion can only be good for everyone.

Gregory and his record company probably won't complain either!

Ian D :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

I think the Record Day editions are always great to have aren't they? Whichever way you look at it, any one who owns one has one of the first 500 copies on 12". I know they went like wildfire 'cos even I, the king of the blaggers, couldn't get one and Ralph's a mate LOL........ :lol:

This is a difficult release to guage demand for though. The record is crossing over to a number of different scenes both here and abroad and has even become mainstream in some areas, so there is a much bigger demand than usual for a 12" of this record. It's probably the best Jazz dancer of the last 20 years or so and people are responding accordingly. If it keeps crossing over to wider audiences then it should be available for sure and rather I'd rather have Expansion market it rather then other labels. Records like this don't crop up that often and will probably drive a lot more people to both the music and record stores which in my opinion can only be good for everyone.

Gregory and his record company probably won't complain either!

Ian D :D

Three on Ebay Cheapest one is this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREGORY-PORTER-1960-WHAT-12-LIMITED-EDITION-500-COPIES-RECORD-STORE-DAY-/150826723404?pt=UK_Records&hash=item231df9284c

Social source share

Guest proteus

I'm completely with you on this. I think some of the apologists for Expansion on here are laughable. They lied, they cheated. It's not a 'ridiculous public accusation', it is a fact. They released something I believed to be a one off, I went to a lot of effort dragging my kids on a 80 mile round trip on a weekend when I have way better things to do than sit in traffic to get this 12". I buy records, not CDs, and if some view that as elitist then so be it. The fact is this was released as a limited issue and many, like me, paid way over or made considerable effort to get a copy, assuming Expansion were releasing something genuinely limited. A few weeks later they altered the label (which was basic in the first place) and it's on general release.

Now either I'm missing something here or that's a pretty low and dishonerable way to run a label...

Social source share

No Martin, it's you who's missing the point, by a considerable way.

Expansion are a record company and pandering to tiny minded self-absorbed crying-arse collectors doesn't keep the business running Martin, I thought you of all people would have the intelligence to realise that. It's the ridiculous public accusations of Ralph Tee and Expansion 'cheating', 'misleading', 'selling under false pretences' that has really got my back up, because that is just stupid beyond my comprehension not to mention offensive on Ralph Tee's character - the release was initially limited to coincide with Record Store Day and that was all it set out as, nothing more, nothing less, but the demand for the record was unexpected and unprecedented so they took the business decision, 100% right in the real world, to press up more to satisfy that demand worldwide and take the opportunity to capitalise on the demand for one of their releases, which is exactly what any RECORD COMPANY would do, even more so in this day and age.

I can just imagine the Expansion receptionist picking up the phone in response to a customer ringing in for a copy saying 'No, I'm sorry, we've sold out and two people on Soul Source will be upset if we press some more so you'll have to do without and we'll lose out on sales in these times of recession', it'd be like a Two Ronnies out-take.

A silly and utterly pointless thread started by one of the forum's moderators with the intention of doing down one of the UK's premier soul music labels who've been in business for over 25 years. Good work mate, give yourself a pat on the back.

Roger

So they lied, made people pay over the top thinking they were getting an exclusive, but that's all ok because they're a great record company?

Very harsh words aimed at Martin who had a legitimate complaint as far as I can tell.

p.s. never heard the record nor have no wish to do so

• Helpful 1
Social source share

So they lied, made people pay over the top thinking they were getting an exclusive, but that's all ok because they're a great record company?

Very harsh words aimed at Martin who had a legitimate complaint as far as I can tell.

p.s. never heard the record nor have no wish to do so

Harsh words because Expansion have been wrongly accused of lying and cheating, Pete.

Roger

Edited by Roger Williams
Social source share

I'm completely with you on this. I think some of the apologists for Expansion on here are laughable. They lied, they cheated. It's not a 'ridiculous public accusation', it is a fact. They released something I believed to be a one off, I went to a lot of effort dragging my kids on a 80 mile round trip on a weekend when I have way better things to do than sit in traffic to get this 12". I buy records, not CDs, and if some view that as elitist then so be it. The fact is this was released as a limited issue and many, like me, paid way over or made considerable effort to get a copy, assuming Expansion were releasing something genuinely limited. A few weeks later they altered the label (which was basic in the first place) and it's on general release.

Now either I'm missing something here or that's a pretty low and dishonerable way to run a label...

I'm afraid in the real world you'll find it's yourself and the other complainants who are the laughable ones.

Roger

Social source share

Harsh words because Expansion have been wrongly accused of lying and cheating, Pete.

Roger

Still overly harsh on a person paying for and thinking they were getting an exclusive Roger.

Hey look I'm just going on what I'm reading on this thread.

Social source share

Now....If when he had arrived and was going to shell out, they had made it clear what the rest of the release schedule was, seems to me it would have given him a fair element of choice...Yep, seems harsh to me too.... :hatsoff2:

Edited by rich chorley
Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

??? it was and still exclusive in OVO format which seems to be what everying craves for.

how many other releases have got subsequent issues and reissues? hundreds, probably thousands -people have argued that countless times that values have been diminished by subsequent issues, even bootlegs- so whats the big deal?

Anyway buying a record because its an exclusive? whats that all about - just thinking of values. Why not buy a record because you like it.

Seems to me that people bought it because it was an exclusive (for own personal gain or vanity)- thus denying people who actually like the record from buying it.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Are the Matrix numbers the same with just a different label stuck on discs off the same press ?
Social source share

Still overly harsh on a person paying for and thinking they were getting an exclusive Roger.

Hey look I'm just going on what I'm reading on this thread.

Just as it's overly harsh to publicly make baseless accusations of cheating and lying and calling the company low and dishonourable, Pete. I work for the company so I'm going to defend them.

OK then, you find a box of 20 of a rare record and you sell the first one and the person to whom you sell it wants to the be only one with it. Do you pander to their wishes and not sell the other 19 because it would upset them? Or do you sell them because it's your business to sell records?

Social source share

Just as it's overly harsh to publicly make baseless accusations of cheating and lying and calling the company low and dishonourable, Pete. I work for the company so I'm going to defend them.

OK then, you find a box of 20 of a rare record and you sell the first one and the person to whom you sell it wants to the be only one with it. Do you pander to their wishes and not sell the other 19 because it would upset them? Or do you sell them because it's your business to sell records?

I do the latter, though I would probably stress there are 20 copies and once they are gone, they are gone.

Social source share

Roger

surely you see this is different.

It was sold as an exclusive and then it wasn't.

I understand why it was done, and at least Expansions had the honesty to print a different label - I know others who wouldn't and haven't. But if I'd gone out of my way to make sure I got a copy - because I thought it was the only way I could get the vinyl - I'd be a little annoyed (just a little).

For the record I've bough this on CD, download, and vinyl and I think that any DJ playing it in a soul club would be better buying the radio edit on download and playing that. I think the sax solo is great for home listening less so for a club.

Dean

Social source share

??? it was and still exclusive in OVO format which seems to be what everying craves for.

how many other releases have got subsequent issues and reissues? hundreds, probably thousands -people have argued that countless times that values have been diminished by subsequent issues, even bootlegs- so whats the big deal?

Anyway buying a record because its an exclusive? whats that all about - just thinking of values. Why not buy a record because you like it.

Seems to me that people bought it because it was an exclusive (for own personal gain or vanity)- thus denying people who actually like the record from buying it.

People collect for different reasons though.

Let me quote an example (the example is me)

If I buy an original British 45, it has to have a centre.

I would not buy, say, a Jimmy Beaumont London demo unless it had a centre.

It's worthless to me without it being complete.

So this is not buying a record because you like it, because if it were, I'd buy it whether it had a centre or not.

It's just one of many facets of collecting and it's very difficult to explain why you wouldn't buy a record just because it doesn't have a middle.

If it were available on a reissue, I would buy the reissue and play it, but to go into my British collection, it has to have a middle.

Social source share

That is a very valid point indeed ,but if that is how we should look at it ...then why state when it was released it was gonna be a 500 press only ?

If Gregory Porters interests and financial security was important ..then surely the label itself should never even considered a limited release imho .

Which brings us to the actual point Martin was trying to raise ....they did say it was gonna be limited ..and then went back on that and re-released it .. WHY ?

I don't think the argument is, or was ever about denying the public the chance to own a copy , or Gregory Porter the chance to make some well deserved funds .

Maybe Expansion did'nt anticipate the demand for the 12" release would be so high and have now realised it is ..hence the need to push out more copies .

End of the day ..its done and its not the exact same copy has the 500 press ..so i suppose technically you have a limited edition copy .

Buy the new one Martin and stick the other in the loft ....it might be worth something in 30 yrs time :P

Social source share

From a collector's point of view Cunnie is right and I see why he's upset. He bought the record on the understanding of a limited release, something that appeals to many if not most record collectors.

From a record company/business financial view Expansion is right to press up more copies to satisfy demand.

lose-lose situation IMO. I'm with Cunnie though.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The Ebay listed one s have been sold by Mark Coddington - He 's a full time record dealer , that 's how he makes his living like many of us . So some on here would rather maintain exclusivity and wank over a rare edition . Gregory Porter is a full time musician - who I very much doubt would concern himself with limited etc etc this is also how he earns his money.

Having seen the artist live last year in Birmingham I for one am glad he is gaining the recognition he deserves - hope it will lead to him gaining more exposure - that's what musicians are in the business for.

Expansion are a 25 year long established record label - pay their licensing rights and obtain masters to release product - just going about their business correctly.

Pity this forum don' t have the same venom for the Ebay sellers who trot out white label test presses of Motown , Northern in demand 45s for £10 plus , and compact disc comps from various soul club anniversary nights.. F F S get a grip - I bought the Gregory porter CD as a new release , bought his second CD as a new release , and will continue buying new releases cos I like them not to cream over it 's rarity ....Some of us just going about our business on a daily basis ...but hey in the U K nanny state you should do as your told ....

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Pity this forum don' t have the same venom for the Ebay sellers who trot out white label test presses of Motown , Northern in demand 45s for £10 plus , and compact disc comps from various soul club anniversary nights.. F F S get a grip -

This is unfair Glyn, several people on this forum are constantly complaining about and raising the issue of these type of bootleg releases, and also constantly reporting them to eBay.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!