Patti & The Emblems Demo

Hi fellow soulsters!

I have had this question on 'The Sharp End of Vinyl' but had nothing really conclusive.

I have just purchased a demo of 'Patti & The Emblems - I'm gonna love you a long long time' and I am trying to get confirmation that it is an original demo or not.

The runout on the 'Gonna love you....' side has 'K-11127-4' scratched into the vinyl, and the 'My hearts so full.....' side has 'K-11126-4'. It has a red 'A' on the 'Gonna love you.....' side.

Here is an image of the exact record. Is it real? I have never owned a real copy so need the experts help.

Thank you

Patti_web.jpg

Social source share

We had a thread on just this a few years back, I remember Pikey mentioning 'Crayola' on the Kapp logo.

Will go off and have a search....

post-2216-1180985665_thumb.jpg

Taken from old thread. Thinks this was a boot, most (boots) should have black A's though.

Pretty sure your one's real Steve.

Social source share

post-2216-1180985665_thumb.jpg

Taken from old thread. Thinks this was a boot, most (boots) should have black A's though.

Pretty sure your one's real Steve.

I reckon that is an orig but with the logo coloured in? Strange! But I also have an obvious boot, and the title and artist text is off centre (not in the middle in relation to the hole), and the 'A' is black? and the matrix etc. is different of course. Debatable really. it's the red 'A' that throws you, unless someone is a dab hand with stencils. Edited by Steve Luigi
Social source share

I checked my demo and mine has K-11127-3 for the "I'm Gonna Love You..." side and K-11126-3 for the "My Heart's..." side.

The Red A is on the "My Heart's ... " side. There's also a T1 in the dead wax. So- what's the consensus- real or boot ???

I think you'll find that originally that was the "A" side only after radio play re-released with "A" on Gonna love you............

Social source share

Yours looks to be an original. The most common boot had a black "A", and was made at Monarch in L.A. and has a Delta number in the 103,000s (late 1970s). Not sure if there waqs a red "A" boot, but yours looks real and your Matrix numbers are original, as far as I know (at least on one 1960s issue).

Social source share

Yours looks to be an original. The most common boot had a black "A", and was made at Monarch in L.A. and has a Delta number in the 103,000s (late 1970s). Not sure if there waqs a red "A" boot, but yours looks real and your Matrix numbers are original, as far as I know (at least on one 1960s issue).

Thank you RobbK, Maybe one day I can draw a line under this mystery? Maybe it is the case that some were pressed at different plants, hence the slightly different matrix numbers? I don't know whether 'Kapp' used more than one pressing plant, maybe someone on here will know that.

I am quite satisfied now that mine is an original Demo, and for the price I paid for it, I think I have acquired the bargain of the century.

Thanks again.

Steve

Social source share

Mine has red A on im gonna love you side with k 11127-2 & k 11127-1 on other.

i once got a mint copy for $20 out of discovery record magazine from the states,years ago.

was the other side listed but had a manship list @ hand with all details & was the right one.sold it to a guy in sweden for £100(sold alot to sweden late 90s.was constant yellow packages in the post full of money,lol),just before the price starting shooting up to £400.

Social source share

Nice when that happens. No problem matey. Just wanted to know what I would be expected to shell out for one - Have to sell the car ?!?!

about 250 I'd say. Demand peaked a few years ago tho it still packed the floor whenever I've heard it more recently.

Social source share

Thanks guys. With all the info from this thread I think there's little chance of getting ripped off.

That's why I asked the experts, either mine was real and a top bargain, or a boot.

It might be an idea maybe for the admins or someone, if possible to collect and catagorise info like this, so that anyone wanting to know about certain records could just go to that instead of having to start a new topic.

A lot of work I know, but would be invaluable. Or maybe start a new forum so that this sort of info can be entered manually by 'SS' members.

Edited by Steve Luigi
Social source share

Thank you RobbK, Maybe one day I can draw a line under this mystery? Maybe it is the case that some were pressed at different plants, hence the slightly different matrix numbers? I don't know whether 'Kapp' used more than one pressing plant, maybe someone on here will know that.

I am quite satisfied now that mine is an original Demo, and for the price I paid for it, I think I have acquired the bargain of the century.

Thanks again.

Steve

Kapp DEFINITELY used more than one pressing plant. They had several variations of the same issues. They pressed in L.A., on The East Coast, and in The Midwest.

Social source share

It might be an idea maybe for the admins or someone, if possible to collect and catagorise info like this, so that anyone wanting to know about certain records could just go to that instead of having to start a new topic.

A lot of work I know, but would be invaluable. Or maybe start a new forum so that this sort of info can be entered manually by 'SS' members.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forum/56-the-sharp-end-of-vinyl/

Social source share

That's why I asked the experts, either mine was real and a top bargain, or a boot.

Just so people who are maybe not aware:Much of this type of info is already available on the site through Roger's "Sharp End Of Vinyl". Great asset that is building daily.

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Steve and anyone else. Roger looks after The Sharp End of Vinyl. Only he has the ability to start topics. It is basically an archive of all the useful info discussed on here. There are links to all the topics, labels, artist etc we have already discussed. Any new topics discussed that have invaluable info will be moved in to the Sharp End.

It might be worth a quick search or look in there to see if the info you want isn't already there.

You can still contribute to topics in there though.

Social source share

Link to the previous topic discussed about his 45 that is archived in The Sharp End....

People mention this guide and that guide but you have a fantastic guide right here, built up by the members but it is very under-rated and it oul seem under used at times IMO.

I will get Roger to merge this topic and the archived one.

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!