Buying Blind

Buying blind, anyone still do it? has the invention of youtube made this a rare practice nowadays? as a lot of semiknowns are alrerady up on there and many clips can be found on other sources. Do you still buy blind, whata re your best and worst blind buys?

Social source share

Picked up a few semi known Stevie Wonder tracks

I stil buy blind, don't care, its the voice thats more important... :hatsoff2:

Sorry, on a serious note....

If you can't source through youtube then there are many soundclips elsewhere now.... Not bought anything blind for a long time...

Social source share

Still buy blind, especially when out in a shop looking thru the racks.

If it looks promising & the price is right, I risk it.

Picked up some dross (pop, C&W, etc) & some goodies that way (mind you I like 60's, 70's 80's, 90's, Y2K, slow, deep, dancers, blues, gospel, funk, jazzy, southern, Motown, etc).

Social source share

I still do but would buy more particularly on ebay if the price was more reasonable. I think the most common start price is $9.99 and add postage and I can't afford to be getting 10 a week like I used to in the late 90's.

getting some multi deals from one seller often helps.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

There are so many funk, blues and do wop collectors sticking their collections on Youtube thesedays that every now and then a really stunning 'northern' track shows up. Don't limit youself to anything labelled soul or northern soul on youtube. I regularly listen to the channels of a few funk and blues collectors from the states, they have some amazing stuff. Trouble is they know it's rare and we like it too. :(

Social source share

Buying blind, anyone still do it? has the invention of youtube made this a rare practice nowadays? as a lot of semiknowns are alrerady up on there and many clips can be found on other sources. Do you still buy blind, whata re your best and worst blind buys?

i've just bought 5 sam baker records on sound plus and aound stage blind for a couple of euros each.

none are rare or expensive records and all well known but quite a few titles i'vew not heard yet so i'm hoping to have a few pleasent suprises.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

yeah i still buy blind if its cheap enough and if i find out its not to my liking i can move it on again at a cheap price- buying blind imo is still part of the thrill of buying

Social source share

yeah i still buy blind if its cheap enough and if i find out its not to my liking i can move it on again at a cheap price- buying blind imo is still part of the thrill of buying

i'm sure if I went on youtube or other sites i'd find most of the sam bakers i've just bought but there is something about putting the needle down on a record not knowing what its going to be like.

saying that I hardly ever do and it never do it when a lot of money is involved.

Social source share

i've just bought 5 sam baker records on sound plus and aound stage blind for a couple of euros each.

none are rare or expensive records and all well known but quite a few titles i'vew not heard yet so i'm hoping to have a few pleasent suprises.

If one of them is 'It's All Over' then you'll have at least one :)

Roger

Edited by Roger Williams
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

And some people have bought Soul records that would have made great country records :ohmy:

and some djs play soul records that would go down better at country music gigs :shhh:
Social source share

I buy blind a lot at record shows. Most sellers have 45's at no more than $2 each and some at 50c. Picked up some belters in the last few years and vendors know I do not quibble about the prices.

Also found a lot of rare garage things this way that have moved on for a few $$$. I am also at a point where dealers hold stuff for me and even email me - in fact I am picking up a purple Okeh promo by the Artistics and a 45 by The Executives for $5 each on Sunday.

Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

I buy blind a lot at record shows. Most sellers have 45's at no more than $2 each and some at 50c. Picked up some belters in the last few years and vendors know I do not quibble about the prices.

Also found a lot of rare garage things this way that have moved on for a few $$$. I am also at a point where dealers hold stuff for me and even email me - in fact I am picking up a purple Okeh promo by the Artistics and a 45 by The Executives for $5 each on Sunday.

lucky so n so :thumbup:
Social source share

This must be a ebay /internet thing ?

Surely people who collected before the internet revolution would have gone to record fairs /shops etc and grabbed a handful and went into the little booths or stuck em on the little portable turntables etc and patiently went through their little haul before buying ???

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This must be a ebay /internet thing ?

Surely people who collected before the internet revolution would have gone to record fairs /shops etc and grabbed a handful and went into the little booths or stuck em on the little portable turntables etc and patiently went through their little haul before buying ???

as someone already mentioned above, if the record is there in real life and costs $1, I'm buying it blind, not wasting time listening on a turntable

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I've bought rubbish country records that looked like they would be great soul records.....

country labels can look really similar to indie soul labels, i've been burnt a few times, but finding a piece of black magic can more than make up for it.

Social source share

as someone already mentioned above, if the record is there in real life and costs $1, I'm buying it blind, not wasting time listening on a turntable

A quid, thats exorbinate, it'd have to be no more than ten bob for me to buy without listening, unless it looks very tasty, but then I'm a cheapskate when it comes to tunes

Social source share

A quid, thats exorbinate, it'd have to be no more than ten bob for me to buy without listening, unless it looks very tasty, but then I'm a cheapskate when it comes to tunes

Bob said $1 not £1 though even at £1 i'd buy loads given the opportunity.

Social source share

still do it. and just received an awful country record on a rare (soul) label so far only one soul 45 is known on and I already found a second. thought I would have found a third one now...how wrong one man can be LOL!

I have a bag af 25 country 45's to take to the show on Sunday. Has anyone ever seen the Vinyl documentary? There is a guy in that called Lynn Russwurm, he has a warehouse near here chock full of country stuff and puts out auction lists every 3 months, he will take them off me, usually at $2 each.

There are some VERY obscure looking Detroit labels that I just had to buy :P

Social source share

or Sugarman,great tune.

i've got a version of sugarman by somebody else (buddy grubbs I think ?) it might be the same song ? I bought that record for the other side and never realy found much in sugerman when i've given it the odd spin.

my best blind buy has to be marcus daniel on plaza after already knowing his monkey town release I took a punt on it and it was a fantastic double sider. I've since read it was a fame recording.

Social source share

oops, yes okeh, Id take a lot for a dollar but less for a pound of your engleesh pence. :yes:

I've blind bought records for over $100 because the label looked cool. I win some and lose some but overall am ahead.

The last thing I got burned on was a 45 by "switch" on an ohio label from 1986. The R&B group was from ohio and their last record was like '85 so I assumed it had to be a final, unknown indie production of the group. It ended up being a hard rock record. It cost me $60 which sucked.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!