Info On 7 Inch White Card Record Sleeves Please

I still don't understand how 80% of the time when I get a record from the UK, they are in one of these sleeves and nothing else. These sleeves are intended to go around the paper sleeve that the record is already in. The record loose in these sleeves moves around and gets bumped / scuffed.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Totally agree with Bob on that.

My gripe for what it's worth, I can't find any decent quality white card sleeves anymore. All the manufacturers have cut back on card quality and size. A few years ago you could get proper heavy weight covers that had plenty of room to slide the inner sleeve in and out. I am toying with the idea of getting some made to my own specification. The best one I have ever seen, came with a record I bought from a Japanese dealer. Absolutely perfect, I've still got it and will use it as a template if I get some made.

Maybe I'm the only person who is OCD about record sleeves?

Social source share

I only got obsessive about them recently. I used to put records on my shelf in the tattered torn apart sleeves that they came in, even if they were like $500 records. Then like less than a year ago I started buying the heavy gauge gold sleeves and putting the records in that. If a record comes in a crisp company sleeve I'll leave it in that, but if the company sleeve is tattered I'll put the record in the gold sleeve and, if the company sleeve is worth keeping with the record, everything together in a plastic sleeve. I do that with pic sleeves so they don't split more. I like the heavy gauge sleeves alone, I don't put them in plastic (I actually take off the plastic if it comes in plastic) and almost never put them in a card sleeve (it makes it harder to play or DJ with).

I recently got paranoid about vinyl sleeve offgassing ruining records, after reading on other messageboards and seeing photos, and seeing a few examples in my collection that I received from other people. I went through and removed any poly-lined paper sleeves. Bags unlimited says that their polyethylene and polypropylene sleeves are tested to be inert and only the polyvinyl sleeves will offgass (they sell them for "temporary storage") but I'm not risking it. When I receive a record in a poly lined sleeve I take it out -- I don't know what material it is and if it is inert like the bags unlimited ones.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!