Articles: Stevie Wonder - (Artist Of The Week)

45cellar

Those nasty record company guys have taken the video of Stevie singing this down ...

.... so we have to make do with this 'foreign' version (it beats the Lime IMO)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKOiFh1QmqI

When you think of music from the Motor City, Oslo probably isn't the first place that springs to mind. But fans of Norwegian singer Wenche Myhre must have been dancing in the streets when they first heard this little corker. Issued in 1967, the song proved a hit for the singer in her homeland. By that time, she had also become one of a host of Scandinavian dolls to be taken to the German bosom, scoring a string of hits from 1965 onwards.

After relocating to Germany, she entered the 1965 Deutsche Schlager-Festpiele song contest in Baden-Baden as she would get to appear before millions of German tv viewers. Although she finished in 2nd place behind Peggy March, her performance was enough to launch her career.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Guest Brooky

Uptight is still one of the greatest Northern Soul sounds ever........imho.........I could never keep my backside on a seat when this hits the tables!!!!

And of course....it becomes even MORE Northern if you buy it on an American release!!! :lol:

post-26636-0-77488000-1338839192_thumb.j

Edited by Brooky
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...

I remember buying this with money from my paper round.

Purchased from our local record store with listening booths on the wall. How things have changed since then.

The one thing that hasn't changed is that I like this record just as much today as I did then.

Plus that very record is still in my collection.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

When thinking of Stevie, the first thing that comes to my mind is he will be seen as the equivalent of Bach/Beethoven etc in hundreds of years time.  His catalogue is unbelievable and he also puts on one of the best live shows in the business.  Current faves are 'Something Out Of The Blue', 'Black Man' 'As', 'Knocks Me Off My Feet'.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Stevie's albums from Where I'm coming from to Songs in the key of life are arguably the most original, innovative, influential, memorable, wide ranging and brilliant recordings that were released in the last half century by a single artist.

They are that good.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 31/03/2019 at 19:53, Soulman58 said:

When thinking of Stevie, the first thing that comes to my mind is he will be seen as the equivalent of Bach/Beethoven etc in hundreds of years time.  His catalogue is unbelievable and he also puts on one of the best live shows in the business.  Current faves are 'Something Out Of The Blue', 'Black Man' 'As', 'Knocks Me Off My Feet'.  

I so agree with you. I went to see him at the G Mex in Manchester 30odd years ago and he played every musical instrument on the stage. Absolutely fantastically talented.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!