Articles: So many sides of Northern Soul.

"Now they are between 35 and 45 years old and, while some have matured magnificently - Mel Britt and Tobi Legend spring to mind, I am certain that if people listened to them beyond pure nostalgia, more would agree that many of them sound at best passe and at worst ridiculous. "

just quoted that from the full article and not sure i agree, some of the tunes played years ago when listened to now take on a new dimension when looked at by others, when i play things like "just like the weather" to my non soul music mad mates they refer to it as a boring run of the mill soul record, however play "the gig" by raw soul and they appear interested, and a bit confused !, just played "by yourself" jd martin on a cd, very loud, it sounds awful, but years ago was the dogs, i suppose that's what makes the scene interesting, beat ballads years ago would have been put in soul packs with new release disco 70,s things,

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

"with not nearly enough exceptions, the discoveries of the last 35 years represent obscurity for the sake of it and/ or a celebration of the ordinary just to ensure that nobody else knows or cares about them."

I disagree, who in their right mind would play, buy, or dance to a record they didn't enjoy?

Social source share

From the days of Snoopy Dean et al Modern records were always played at Wigan and later Stafford with Richard, Dave and Robin.

At Wigan things like Lovelites, Flaming Emeralds, Silvetti, Eddie Holman (76,77) etc. and later the 79 invasion of things like Bobby Thurston, Roy Dawson etc. so don't think it's something that you can put into tight compartments.

Social source share

RE: the discoveries of the last 35 years represent obscurity for the sake of it and / or a celebration of the ordinary ....

..... Loads of great obscure sounds unearthed over the last 35 years so can't agree in the main ....

... but many 'ordinary sounds' are championed just coz they are SO RARE.......

I'm much more of a SOUL FAN than a RARE SOUL FAN ....... give me a great William Bell Stax track over a messy obscure Detroit little label cut (substitute any other US city here) any day of the week.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!