I Have A Serious Question

Isn't it usually the case that anyone who displays obsessional behaviour* in one aspect of their life - and what better example than loving NS - will also display it in other aspects? So that they may well be one or more of an alkie, druggie, foodie, sport fanatic, sex maniac, workaholic, gambler, religious zealot, control freak, stress junkie......... the list is endless. So maybe there is some correlation between being a soulie and being prematurely deceased.

I really only gave up the scene in the late 70s for another obsession (sport) then swapped that for another (not saying) & have had serial love affairs with several others since.

* passion - when you stop feeling that, you're tantamount to dead any road.

Interesting thought - there are people around who don't seem to actually care, or even have an opinion, on anything at all. Rather than being carefree, as you might expect from the term, they tend to be morbidly miserable. Just an observation..

Social source share

I been giving this some thought myself over the last couple of years to be honest I think we often take things like health for granted and should live more in the moment so to speak.

I have a health issue now which I won't bore you with but its unrelated to my 'lifestyle' and would have struck if I'd been in the British Legion playing cribbage every weekend.

Don't waste time over analysing things just enjoy the time you've got you may be run over by a bus in the morning.

Social source share

Isn't it usually the case that anyone who displays obsessional behaviour* in one aspect of their life - and what better example than loving NS - will also display it in other aspects? So that they may well be one or more of an alkie, druggie, foodie, sport fanatic, sex maniac, workaholic, gambler, religious zealot, control freak, stress junkie......... the list is endless. So maybe there is some correlation between being a soulie and being prematurely deceased.

Yep, thats pretty much got me to a tee......junkie for life, meaning addicted to making the most of it, if it aint worth doin well, dont bother...

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Well, it's really kind of Ian to say that I'm an inspiration to him, especially to bracket me with Soul Sam, who is a true inspiration in my opinion, a man who hasn't given up in his love for our music and is still seeking new sounds to enjoy and play.

An interesting topic, is our lifestyle on the soul scene contributing to the premature demise of members? I suppose it may well do, but people of all ages die at any time, and often it's those who have led a very healthy life, sometimes there is no rhyme or reason.

For myself, I was 66 in March, but inside I'm still 18, although most morning I feel 118 when I climb out of bed. At times I wonder what people at soul nights think of an old geezer dancing around like a demented dervish to very fast records, but hopefully no one cares and no one has ever made any derogatory comments, or at least not in my hearing.

The fact is that we are all going to die, but I'm sure that one thing we all dread, especially as we get older, is the thought of ending our days in a "care" home, sitting in a room with our mouths open, possibly wearing a nappy, forgetting who we are and who our visitors, if we get any, are. My mum was 96 when she died, she was in a good care home, but I still don't want that for me. When the chap died on the dance floor at Skeggy a few months ago it was horrible for his family, everyone there and the promoters. But I am sure I'm not the only to feel that I would like to go that way, preferably to one of my favourite records (Poets, Joseph Webster, Ruby, etc) but I'd want it to be the last record of the night, I wouldn't want to mess up an evening for those present, my demise at the end wouldn't curtail the night.

While I'm physically able to attend soul nights and nighters I will continue to do so, It keeps me going, and if it does shorten my life a bit, so be it, better to live and enjoy things with your friends than sit at home and attempt to find something decent on the TV. Life is for living.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

i've loved this scene and the music since time began for the groundswell of us...that time began in the 70's....sadly, even back then, too many burned the candle both ends far too quickly along with the drugs so its not exactly like we're paying for it now is it?. of course it cant be ignored that well worn and much beloved faces & characters ARE passing over, im sure that if you could converse with any of their spirits, they would say that they didnt want to leave the mortal world at that certain moment in time...im just as sure they would also confirm that they wouldn't have missed a minute of the good times they DID have....and the moral of the story is....IF YOU AINT BOOKED YOUR TICKET YET, YOU AINT GONNA GET ON THE DANCEFLOOR UPSTAIRS.....ITS ALREADY FULL!! :g:

Social source share

The thing that has pleased me no end, is that we're all basically the same and have the same attitude overall, ''dance and be damned'', I was kind of worried for a minute there, but my mind has been put at rest, thanks people :thumbsup:

Winnie..you like a lot of folk on here...try to cope with one lose...when another...happens and smacks ya.....like most of the posts suggests ...Dance Dance Dance....that is one hell of a sentiment ..and one that i agree with wholeheartedly....i look at some of the younger generation who are already jaded...read reports ..which say a high percentage of 20-30somethings are disastified...depressed etc..and looking at life on the whole...one can see why...uncertainty in employment...high mortgage rates which forces quite a lot of young folk to still be living at home ....and the fact that the future is a very scary place for them...us folk in our late 40s onwards....most of us are having the time of our lives.....there are more 60 somethings...who are very well aqcuainted with their local sex health clinic ..because of the rise in sexual infections within this group....a lot of my 50 something friends complain to me...how their chidlren moan that they are never at home...one of my friends..who after bringing up 4 children mostly on her own...has decided to travel...her 30 something children are up in arms....oh yes they are all settled etc..with their own famillies...but selfishly want to keep their unpaid chidlminder around...i told her to get her to get a one way ticket...and bloody enjoy herself.....like most have posted....our age group..has to be the most fortunate in life history...because we doggedly refuse to stop enjoying what we did when we was all younger....even at times...to the consternation of others who just dont and would never understand...but there again ..these folk didnt understand years back...just what drove most of us towards this music ..wanting to travel...and stay up all night....rather than throw our lot in ...at the Cinderellas....Mecca...plastic palm tree..chicken in a basket type of nights out.....just one last point...years back....i so remember seeing a news report of twin sisters who had celebrated their 100th birthday...when asked about their longevity...they had never had a boyfriend....never drank or smoked.....never went out apart to work...had always lived at home...then when their parents passed ..they shared their home with each other.....that filled me with absolute horror..as to how i never wanted my life to be ,,,,,Delxxxxx

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I really only gave up the scene in the late 70s for another obsession (sport) then swapped that for another (not saying) & have had serial love affairs with several others since.

* passion - when you stop feeling that, you're tantamount to dead any road.

Don't quite get that obsessional behaviour thing. Sure we are obsessed with the music but with regards to other obsessive behaviour, I don't know any that fit into that bracket, unless of course record collecting counts as an obsession. But don't see that leading to premature death.

Just think most of us that are still into the allniter scene tend to look after ourselves, you don't see many obese folk at these events or piss heads either. So let's just keep on keeping on....

Social source share

Guest Drewes

OVO? :wink:

One of my fave posts on here. Possibly by Johnny One Trout. It concerened paying a lot for a record at 'your age'. And the reply went along the lines of.

When I have full blown dememntia, I will wake up every day and hear these songs for the first time. How great is that gonna be?

Ha ha ... this had made me chuckle for hours! :D:yes::hatsoff2: x

Social source share

Winnie..you like a lot of folk on here...try to cope with one lose...when another...happens and smacks ya.....like most of the posts suggests ...Dance Dance Dance....that is one hell of a sentiment ..and one that i agree with wholeheartedly....i look at some of the younger generation who are already jaded...read reports ..which say a high percentage of 20-30somethings are disastified...depressed etc..and looking at life on the whole...one can see why...uncertainty in employment...high mortgage rates which forces quite a lot of young folk to still be living at home ....and the fact that the future is a very scary place for them...us folk in our late 40s onwards....most of us are having the time of our lives.....there are more 60 somethings...who are very well aqcuainted with their local sex health clinic ..because of the rise in sexual infections within this group....a lot of my 50 something friends complain to me...how their chidlren moan that they are never at home...one of my friends..who after bringing up 4 children mostly on her own...has decided to travel...her 30 something children are up in arms....oh yes they are all settled etc..with their own famillies...but selfishly want to keep their unpaid chidlminder around...i told her to get her to get a one way ticket...and bloody enjoy herself.....like most have posted....our age group..has to be the most fortunate in life history...because we doggedly refuse to stop enjoying what we did when we was all younger....even at times...to the consternation of others who just dont and would never understand...but there again ..these folk didnt understand years back...just what drove most of us towards this music ..wanting to travel...and stay up all night....rather than throw our lot in ...at the Cinderellas....Mecca...plastic palm tree..chicken in a basket type of nights out.....just one last point...years back....i so remember seeing a news report of twin sisters who had celebrated their 100th birthday...when asked about their longevity...they had never had a boyfriend....never drank or smoked.....never went out apart to work...had always lived at home...then when their parents passed ..they shared their home with each other.....that filled me with absolute horror..as to how i never wanted my life to be ,,,,,Delxxxxx

love the bit about the younger generation already being jaded, my kids seem to hate the fact that they tell me to turn that bloody music down, i,m 52 and still get excited about good music and new tunes, although i cant go at the same speed as i did years ago when going out

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest smoothwasson

On a serious note - I do think that the bigger events (weekenders and allnighters with attendees in the hundreds) should have attendance by St Johns Ambulance or an onsite Paramedic.

we are not here for a long time, were here for a good time ..
Social source share

RE: dance competitions ,we need an over 50s section all our knees have gone

Couldn't agree more about the dancing problems .... I moved onto (into) the Modern Soul rooms about 20 years back and it's even worse in there ........ 6 minute long tracks everywhere & young DJ's that want to mix tracks together to make 30 minutes of continuous music

..... PHEW, it gets hard work at times !!

Social source share

Guest smoothwasson

I have absolutely no idea what the relevance of this reply is.

ohhh hush my mouth. the wrong post me thinks, no problem
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

To turn the question on it's head, I wonder how many of us, should we live past 100, would put our longevity down to lots of dancing, late nights and whatever our fancy is for a night out. :thumbsup:

Didnt Britians oldest lady put her longevity down to fags and a glass of port a day?

Social source share

Maybe by far the largest number of attendees or ex attendees over the years are now reaching or have reached middle age no ,ore or less prone than any of the rest of the population. ( As we probably represent as standard a cross section as your ever likely to come across of the general public.The only thing id be grateful for is a lack of doubt and an absence of fear. Becasue its my view, (as someone with an asymptomatic congenital heart defect). that these two factors and those who like to propound them, will shorten your life more than diet, drugs, or stressful exercise. :ohmy:

Social source share

love the bit about the younger generation already being jaded, my kids seem to hate the fact that they tell me to turn that bloody music down, i,m 52 and still get excited about good music and new tunes, although i cant go at the same speed as i did years ago when going out

My son of 16 is exactly the same.... :yes: Delxxxx

Social source share