Playlists, Or The Lack Of Them

and a three month exchange with a guy who badgered me and badgered me for my copy of Richard Marks which I wasn't willing to let go.

Play lists only tell part of the story and for me are not necessarily a good indicator of what I would play at a different venue. So I wouldn't want someone reading a playlist of mine and thinking they've got me pegged so to speak.

Yes good points Ged, I've ben hassled for a number of records that people have found on old internet playlists. Also as others have said the playlist varies depending on the gig.

I can remember a time when DJ's all had imagination and sought out a different set to everyone else.

Yes but also times in the 70s / 80s when you heard the same records three / four times a night -Wigan being a case in point. DJ oneupmanship stuff. :yes:

Remember a couple of years ago a niter close to both our hearts when a famous DJ asked to go on early at a gig - real reason was so he could play his newly acquired copy of Salt & Pepper before the DJ that originally broke it was on. :yes: Fun and games eh?

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Surely it's about djs having a passion for the music and then putting together an imaginative set, not just relying on the same old tunes to fill the floor. I love to hear tunes that are new to my ears and think Karl Heard managed to pull this off magnificently at Burnley.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

If a list crops up in a Lookback it should be swiftly taken outside and shot.(or at least put in the right section).

Which brings me to the "Playlists" section.If you're not interested,dont venture into it....unless of course its to take the p*ss,or generally moan.

Does anyone on here like the look of ANY playlist and think ," I wouldn't mind going to that venue" ?

Social source share

If a list crops up in a Lookback it should be swiftly taken outside and shot.(or at least put in the right section).

Which brings me to the "Playlists" section.If you're not interested,dont venture into it....unless of course its to take the p*ss,or generally moan.

Does anyone on here like the look of ANY playlist and think ," I wouldn't mind going to that venue" ?

To be fair Kev i think people were just asking why there was a lack of them and others have given various reasons.

To be honest not one playlist has made me decide to go to a particular venue. I know the reputation of most DJ's and promoters via either listening and attending or word of mouth.

If I have time I read the playlists. I rarely post one as I don't generally have the time... or the memory :lol:

Social source share

I have the view that its important to post up a flavour of whats posted to give an idea to those who may travel and who haven't attended the event or heard the dj before.

It maybe just a flavour incorporating the things they play ; that are known and can exclude coverups or items than other djs could easily pick up. These days some £ 15 tunes are being played and if listed would have an even shorter life than the big money tunes which can also be uncovered but take longer to attain.

I think djs are becoming more protective of what they have (as its now easy to pretty much hear anything via mp3 same or next day) and maintain that the best way to see what a dj plays is to go out and hear them. [historically may always of been the case]

When I am lucky enough to play I put everything into it, in the hope that its well received and that people say in their minds "nice set" and may want to hear another by me at some point. The things I play will be focused on the room and the list I produce after will never fully reflect that, deliberatley, because I want them to come along...live..............

So a playlist that gives a feel - yes ; complete full detailed listing - nope ...................

I would like to see more of the "feel" playlists though and by all djs attending, not just the same few................

Social source share

Guest Seagrave

Djs / promotors must have there reasons for not putting up playlists, be intrested in some of the reasons why, with lots of venues struggling at the mo, i would have thought there would be a few more up considering how many do's there on each wk

Well, I was at an event in Gateshead last weekend where the headline guest DJ played their set from some specially installed CD decks. I guess it would be a little awkward to post up the playlist, identifying the labels?!!

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

I like playlists for the same reason I like listening to peoples podcasts, youtube channels, online radio shows etc, because I love hearing rare soul music and I love discovering new (old) soul music I'd never heard before, and the people who post their sounds up have a wealth of knowledge they want to share that I could only dream of having !! And I try and track them some of them down to buy on vinyl !! The people who made the music in the first place never intended for it to be a secret !!

Social source share

If you don't want to read what others post then don't, stop complaining, it is a forum for discussion.

The DJ's with no imagination was one of the reasons given, i.e. DJ's with no imagination cherry picking others plays, so some DJ's won't post playlists. I haven't seen or read anything which isn't in some way to do with the topic.

Social source share

I really can't see what all the fuss is about, its just advertizing, and its not exactly a new phenonemom is it ?

Remember all those adds in "Blues and Soul" for the Cats, Mecca, Wigan etc with all the current spins of the day dotted around the edge.If publishing a play list, brings in just one extra punter it's done its job and has cost the venue "bugger all" to do so.

The argument that we all know what to expect from certain djs at established venues, is a bit like saying, Rick Stein specializes is sea food, so he doesn't need to display a menu outside his restaurant.

As for protecting exclusivity, abrv (insecurity) ......................the Halibut is really ..............Dover sole but don't tell Jamie Oliver.

Monty Python script writers could't make this stuff up.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

As for protecting exclusivity, abrv (insecurity) ......................the Halibut is really ..............Dover sole but don't tell Jamie Oliver.

Well its real enough whether you acknowledge it or laugh it ....................djs do try to protect things they believe are exclusive

Social source share

I really can't see what all the fuss is about, its just advertizing, and its not exactly a new phenonemom is it ?

Remember all those adds in "Blues and Soul" for the Cats, Mecca, Wigan etc with all the current spins of the day dotted around the edge.If publishing a play list, brings in just one extra punter it's done its job and has cost the venue "bugger all" to do so.

The argument that we all know what to expect from certain djs at established venues, is a bit like saying, Rick Stein specializes is sea food, so he doesn't need to display a menu outside his restaurant.

I agree its neither here or there and certainly not something to get hung up about but not sure your menu analogy works too well. Not unless you expect your venue to play the same records every time. If it ever got to the stage where you could know in advance everything that was going to be played then the scene would be over (for me at least)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Too many people are paranoid about others colecting their so called sounds ..its a joke ...if you didnt go to USA or wherever and find that particular record ,then im very sorry to disappoint you ..its not yours :(

Nev this is an absurd comment. Does a dis-service to all the dealers here many of whom turn up unknowns. If you buy a record you can do what you like with it. Stick it on top of your car if you really want to.

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Nev this is an absurd comment. Does a dis-service to all the dealers here many of whom turn up unknowns. If you buy a record you can do what you like with it. Stick it on top of your car if you really want to.

What part you quoting Steve .... ?

To clarify ..what im saying is probably total opposite to what you are gonna tell me .

I totally understand and have the utmost respect for everyone who has discovered every record on the rare soul scene ,even a guy who bought it out of a box of unknowns and had the balls to say " this has potential ,i'll buy it and play it in one of my sets " =1st one to play it.

But there are a lot of people who basically own rare records because theyve been fortunate enough to find one ,yet think they have some kind of exclusive right to moan when someone else in the neighbourhood finds one and starts playing it .

So please reply if you feel the need to put me straight :yes:

P.s Im a bricklayer ,so excuse my lack of basic English language skills :wink:

Social source share

think Karl Heard managed to pull this off magnificently at Burnley.

Certainly did, and everywhere else he went for that matter................but you'll struggle to find one of his playlists (from anywhere) unless someone else wrote it down and posted it up for everyone to see, which would be bad form without permission.

There's been some interesting points around why people do/don't post playlists. A lot seem to be against.

I was surprised to see the 'protective' piece still exists after all these years. Contradicts all the talk about sharing the faith, or spreading the faith :wicked: . To be quite honest, i've seen some amazing playlists where id love to go out and buy the lot because the records are fantastic, but the content of those playlists is often either out of my price range or simply not available, even if i had connections. At the opposite end of the scale, If it's a cheapie you've played that gets re-activated after people have seen it on playlists and want to buy it, you might actually make money to fund other records (especially if you have a few copies).

From that point of view, im not sure i quite buy into the whole "i'm not showing you mine cos you'll only go out and nick it". You shared it on the night with a hunred people, so why be protective about sharing it on t'internet?

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I agree its neither here or there and certainly not something to get hung up about but not sure your menu analogy works too well. Not unless you expect your venue to play the same records every time. If it ever got to the stage where you could know in advance everything that was going to be played then the scene would be over (for me at least)

I didn't say that the menu should stale or be unchanging, to keep their regulars happy lots of bistro's have a daily menu, plat du jour, etc,

All I'm suggesting is,its not a bad idea to let pottential customers know that the chef isn't going to "poison them". :thumbsup:

Edited by local
Social source share

Certainly did, and everywhere else he went for that matter................but you'll struggle to find one of his playlists (from anywhere) unless someone else wrote it down and posted it up for everyone to see, which would be bad form without permission.

There's been some interesting points around why people do/don't post playlists. A lot seem to be against.

I was surprised to see the 'protective' piece still exists after all these years. Contradicts all the talk about sharing the faith, or spreading the faith :wicked: . To be quite honest, i've seen some amazing playlists where id love to go out and buy the lot because the records are fantastic, but the content of those playlists is often either out of my price range or simply not available, even if i had connections. At the opposite end of the scale, If it's a cheapie you've played that gets re-activated after people have seen it on playlists and want to buy it, you might actually make money to fund other records (especially if you have a few copies).

From that point of view, im not sure i quite buy into the whole "i'm not showing you mine cos you'll only go out and nick it". You shared it on the night with a hunred people, so why be protective about sharing it on t'internet?

Well there is one playlist that Karl gave freely....but it may be lost during the archive reshuffle on here.Feel free to search away Azza... :wink: ...and sorry, off topic.

Social source share

What part you quoting Steve .... ?

To clarify ..what im saying is probably total opposite to what you are gonna tell me .

I totally understand and have the utmost respect for everyone who has discovered every record on the rare soul scene ,even a guy who bought it out of a box of unknowns and had the balls to say " this has potential ,i'll buy it and play it in one of my sets " =1st one to play it.

But there are a lot of people who basically own rare records because theyve been fortunate enough to find one ,yet think they have some kind of exclusive right to moan when someone else in the neighbourhood finds one and starts playing it .

So please reply if you feel the need to put me straight :yes:

P.s Im a bricklayer ,so excuse my lack of basic English language skills :wink:

Nev that's a different point, it's about the reasons why people don't want to put playlists up on the internet. No one is moaning cos someone turns up a record they have (well that does happen but that's another story :lol:)......

So if you search down rare records, buy them, and play them that's a great thing for the people at the venue the Dj is playing at. Posting up venue playlists on the internet for the whole world to see is entirely different, can you not see the difference?

Feel this thread is in danger of veering off course. It's about the reasons why people don't post playlists anymore, and one reason is all the hard work that goes into finding records, dissecting what's good and what won't work, the difficulty in getting them, and the cost of buying them, like it or not people are going to be a bit protective about it all.

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Nev that's a different point, it's about the reasons why people don't want to put playlists up on the internet. No one is moaning cos someone turns up a record they have (well that does happen but that's another story :lol:)......

So if you search down rare records, buy them, and play them that's a great thing for the people at the venue the Dj is playing at. Posting up venue playlists on the internet for the whole world to see is entirely different, can you not see the difference?

Feel this thread is in danger of veering off course. It's about the reasons why people don't post playlists anymore, and one reason is all the hard work that goes into finding records, dissecting what's good and what won't work, the difficulty in getting them, and the cost of buying them, like it or not people are going to be a bit protective about it all.

Steve ..you've lost me mate ... i thought i was just answering your last post ..where you said my statement was ABSURD!

Here it is in double qoute

NEV "Too many people are paranoid about others colecting their so called sounds ..its a joke ...if you didnt go to USA or wherever and find that particular record ,then im very sorry to disappoint you ..its not yours :("

STEVE " Nev this is an absurd comment. Does a dis-service to all the dealers here many of whom turn up unknowns. If you buy a record you can do what you like with it. Stick it on top of your car if you really want to."

Edited by NEV
Social source share

I like playlists myself....it's encouraged me to go along & listen to many dj's spots @ Allniters, Nites etc, the same as it has from others suggesting names via word & mouth. I also type out lists of dj's in prep in the hope of seeing them on flyer/promo line ups... I'm sure I can't be the only one who does this or am I lol ??

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Surely it's about djs having a passion for the music and then putting together an imaginative set, not just relying on the same old tunes to fill the floor. I love to hear tunes that are new to my ears and think Karl Heard managed to pull this off magnificently at Burnley.

Sally you're only partly right.....theres a big danger that just because a dj has passion for his tunes don,t always mean that music is right played out (or some of it)......you talk of KARL H well Karl played superb sets of music and he was at the forefront of FUNK EDGED northern,he very skilfully threaded them in to a predominately northern mid/uptempo dance set. What we see nowadays is folk take this as a green light to play whole sets of heavy funk which after a while gets durgy mistaken in the belief that because they have a passion for it THEN EVERYONE DOES sadly not so..I,LL SAY AGAIN new stuff has to be used sparingly in amongst fresh underplayed stuff....if a venue dosn,t it will fail....CLIFF CAMFIELD is the master at burnley for playing superb c/ups, underplayed,some oldies along with current spins.....As for KARL HEARD....GET YA ARSE OUT AND ABOUT MATE!! YA MISSED tezza

Social source share

I like playlists myself....it's encouraged me to go along & listen to many dj's spots @ Allniters, Nites etc, the same as it has from others suggesting names via word & mouth. I also type out lists of dj's in prep in the hope of seeing them on flyer/promo line ups... I'm sure I can't be the only one who does this or am I lol ??

Purely on topic and a valid point ...most of the above views are based on a perspective of a record collector ....how about looking at it from a punters point of view ..?

He/she couldnt give a flying rats a**e about stealing a beloved playlist ,but maybe ..just maybe ,might wanna know what kind of records are being played at a particular venue or even worse ..heaven forbid ..might be a punter who would like to search those tunes on a playlist they are not familair with via youtube or other and ...say "wow that's nice " and make plans to go along next time ?

To be truthful ,one of the best things to ever happen to me ,was being on a forum that shared sounds ( probably illegal) and it helped me realise just how many great records were out there that i didnt know ? infact i would say hand on heart ..it was that forum that gave me the buzz to search out records that i have had and still look for today ..

It could well be the same thing that gets a lot of young folk interested today ...unless of course they have a sixth sense to know theres a "Northern soul " night on down the club and decide wtf ,i'll give that a try :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Cant believe we've got this far and I dont think anyone's mentioned the dastardly cover up's on playlists syndrome!

I know its piontless but whatcha gonna do if you post up say 15 plays and there one or two cu's on there, and yep I'm guilty of this, but what do I do, just miss them out of leave a space with CU written in.

Thinking back to many of the old stafford and searling's Wigan playlists, maybe as many as 80% of the tunes listed were cu'd at ther time, yet he they posted playlists, it seems to contridict the very piont of playlists.

Social source share

Steve ..you've lost me mate ... i thought i was just answering your last post ..where you said my statement was ABSURD!

Here it is in double quote

NEV "Too many people are paranoid about others colecting their so called sounds ..its a joke ...if you didnt go to USA or wherever and find that particular record ,then im very sorry to disappoint you ..its not yours :("

STEVE " Nev this is an absurd comment. Does a dis-service to all the dealers here many of whom turn up unknowns. If you buy a record you can do what you like with it. Stick it on top of your car if you really want to."

You've completely lost me too Nev. Thought you were implying that if you didn't go to the states to discover the record you can't be protective about it. That's what I thought was absurd. As we are both confusing each other shall we call it a score draw?

Social source share

I've started to do a 'record countdown' on our Facebook events recently which are current spins of the residents and give a flavour of music policy at the event for those not in the know or contemplating coming for the first time

Good idea that.... hmmm.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Changing track a bit here....just noticed your sign off line Gaz...re Empty Bottles in July...line up looks great and I will try and get there before Burnley next nite.

But leads nicely onto sign offs....what a great way to promote a nite.

Sorry just thought I'd throw that thought into the discussion....slap my wrists if I've gone too far off track !!!

Edited by SallieJane
Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

Are there really DJs out there who play the same records every time, even at the same venue a week later?

Things must have changed over the last 20 years...

Social source share

I often put up my playlists although i own nothing rare or amazing, and very rarely dj now, but i feel (or think) that others may be interested in what is getting played outside thejr own area, although my playlist is not the full story of what was played that night (or day) as i can't force the other djs to put their list up. I personally like to read playlists and hope others feel the same way.

Social source share

Personally I love reading them , they never include same old same old . Therefore I find them very informative . I use them to cherry pick events , I don't get much chance these days to get to events , so I like to be sure I am going to get what I pay for.

I am basically a collector , but do enjoy doing the odd DJ spot , I don't do as many as I would like , so when the opportunity arises I will post a play list and to be honest there is an element of pride in there , but also I would like to think some viewers look at it and think'' that is just the sort of stuff that would benefit a venue that they run . However I also think that if I was a DJ first rather than a collector I would not post playlists i would have no need to post them , punters more likely than not know what a 'a' list jock will play or at least the genre he/she will play.

Just going back to my first point , why are there never any same old, same old top 500 list up?

Social source share

Guest Brett F

By just looking at the events listings on here alone, it's obvious that' Northern Soul nights' are easily the most common music night in Great Britain ( :wink: )

But seriously with virtually every soul record buyer now playing his, her records at the myriad of nights/pubs/clubs etc, it really becomes a case (for me) of actually knowing a venue, the Djs and the sort of records played, this (for me) comes from actually attending venues far and wide, meeting and talking with people and yes listening to the music played... Playlists are ok but not really necessary......Get out and support whatever venue/genre of this music you enjoy.

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Maybe Azzas idea of posting a few tunes on Facebook on the run up to Driving Beat could be adopted on here.

Could be an ongoing Soul Source Post/thread where Resident and Guest DJs post MP3 links, Divshares or Youtube clips of a few tunes they intend to spin on the night. Just to give a flavour of what will be played without giving too much away.

If a few clubs posted it could become a searchable resource of tunes that a particular club has spun. If the club runs for long enough it would be a great potted history that would show the changing taste on the scene over the years.

It would also mean that DJs wouldnt have to post full lists and risk other lazier DJs nickIng ideas for thier own sets.

Just an idea...

Gaz

Edited by Gary Brown
Social source share

Maybe Azzas idea of posting a few tunes on Facebook on the run up to Driving Beat could be adopted on here.

Could be an ongoing Post/thread where Resident and Guest DJs post MP3 links, Divshares or Youtube clips of a few tunes they intend to spin on the night. Just to give a flavour of what will be played without giving too much away.

If a few clubs posted it could become a searchable resource of tunes that a particular club has spun. If the club runs for long enough it would be a great potted history that would show the changing taste on the scene over the years.

It would also mean that DJs wouldnt have to post full lists and risk other lazier DJs nickIng ideas for thier own sets.

Just an idea...

Gaz

We've been doing the Facebook thing for Heywood for the last 6 months or so--

Gives people who can be ars&d to look a flavour of what we like to play..

And being a bit of a luddite-I find it easier to link ther than here.. :D

Tony

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Here you go then nowt fancy just great soul music with the dance floor in mind !!

Gladys knight - No one could love you more

Martha Reeves -Show me the way

Chris Clark- Something's wrong

Mayfield Singers- Don't start none

Pat & The Blenders - Just because

Gloria Jones- Gone with the wind is my love

Jack Montgomery - My dear beloved

Archie Bell - Where will you go when the party is over

Southside Movement -Do it to me

The Brothers- Are you ready for this

Bobby Womack- Home is where the heart is

Collins and Collins -Top of the stairs

GQ- Make my dreams a reality

Harold Melvin- The love I lost

Lou Rawls - See you when I git there.

Ramsbottom Cricket Club Saturday night

Neil

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Here you go then nowt fancy just great soul music with the dance floor in mind !!

Gladys knight - No one could love you more

Martha Reeves -Show me the way

Chris Clark- Something's wrong

Mayfield Singers- Don't start none

Pat & The Blenders - Just because

Gloria Jones- Gone with the wind is my love

Jack Montgomery - My dear beloved

Archie Bell - Where will you go when the party is over

Southside Movement -Do it to me

The Brothers- Are you ready for this

Bobby Womack- Home is where the heart is

Collins and Collins -Top of the stairs

GQ- Make my dreams a reality

Harold Melvin- The love I lost

Lou Rawls - See you when I git there.

Ramsbottom Cricket Club Saturday night

Neil

sorry fella that is not dancing soul....but it does highlight another reason for playlists let ya know where not to go.. atb tezza

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

How Is That Not Dancing Soul ?

well if you don,t know....all that floaty floaty stuff in with beat ballady jack monty......that is crossover soul night dross....it really is imo atb

Social source share

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH RODDY,GENERALLY PEOPLE KNOW WHAT KIND OF STUFF YOU PLAY,NEVER REALLY SEE THE BENIFIT OF PLAYLISTS,AS IN ONE PARTICULAR CASE,SOMEONE POSTED A PLAYLIST UP,THEN AT A VENUE THEY WERE BOOKED,THE FORMER D.J. WENT OUT OF HIS WAY TO PLAY 65% OF THEIR SET,NOT A PROBLEM REALLY,JUST MEANT THEY HAD TO DIG A LITTLE DEEPER INTO THE BOX,JUST SHOWS HOW SMALL MINDED SOME PEOPLE ARE.

Agree with you Woody,that's if the dj's tend to play near enough the same set every time lol I tend not to as I'd get bored if I did lol

JB xxx KTF xxx

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!