Calling All The South Coast Promoters

Good eveing soulies...

I have just got off the phone to a good freind of mine asking me why is there so many soul do's going on in a 30 mile radius along the south coast...

My answer was...because (not all) the promoters wont or can't be bothered to sit down and sort things out...so that means their will be clashes...

I am defo up for sitting down...are there any other southern promoters out there that would like to sit down with me...

I look forward to hearing from you...

Alfie

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Alfie always wiling to sit down and chat dates etc....it's about time everyone pulled together for the good of the scene. After all there's only a limited number of folk down here that are remotely interested in NS.

Thing is tho, SITS is not just a local event, and our main priority is not to clash with allniters. Seems local promoters do not bother to look at the allniter calender when planning their nites which is a great pity. I would probably attend more local soul nites if they did.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Alfie always wiling to sit down and chat dates etc....it's about time everyone pulled together for the good of the scene. After all there's only a limited number of folk down here that are remotely interested in NS.

Thing is tho, SITS is not just a local event, and our main priority is not to clash with allniters. Seems local promoters do not bother to look at the allniter calender when planning their nites which is a great pity. I would probably attend more local soul nites if they did.

Morning Sallie hope all is well...

i have sent a couple of emails to promoters that don't use soul source...soon as i get a reply i will let you know...

I also look at the calenda to see what is on down in are neck of the woods & i know of a few other promoters do aswell and there events are put up a year in advance...

I really hope that all the other promoters out there will join us in this matter as i also feel that the southern soul scene will soon be in trouble & i for one would hate to see that happen...

Alfie

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Good luck Alfie....think you've got your work cut out but wish you every sucess. Be amazing if we could get everyone together and in agreement. Only good for the scene if it's not going to implode on itself. Will await further news.

All the best.

Sallie

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Great idea Alfie............why don't you send each an indivduall invite with a date and time to meet, see who turns up............ ?

I'm not from the South Coast, but its obvious to see that better co-ordination would help concentrate numbers, avoid clashes and perhaps move things forward ..................

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Trouble is Sal if you do clash with local do's then those locals won't be in two places - and then all bemoan lack of local support. I know the issue maybe that they just dont like the SITS music policy, but I would have thought a few may cross between and with low numbers, every person counts :-)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

It's two scenes and they don't pay attention to each other. Like Sallie says the rare nights and nighters priority is not to clash with national nighters because 90% of attendees are travellers, while on the other hand local oldies soul nights just try not to clash with each other (or with weekenders). I've seen plenty of examples of local nights clashing with local nighters and established national nighters mainly because the promoters know that their clientele won't go to those dos and will stay local. They are guaranteed a large crowd whatever they clash with, so why do they care if they take numbers away from a local rare soul night (even if any of the locals would have attended any way, which I doubt). Some of them aren't on soul source and haven't a clue what they are clashing with, but some are and don't care any way because the numbers will always be there.

What's the answer? I don't think there is one. :(

Social source share

Whilst Rich Chorley & myself will only be running the Deep South Soul Party's a few times a year, mainly due to my infrequent forays back to the UK, you can count on us 100% to do our damndest not to clash with anyone, Well, done Alfie for speaking sense, but dont hold your breath mate....

Good luck my friend

Russ

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Alfie,you know my feelings on this and i'm always willing to sit down and sort it.Probably one of the few who will.Case in point is our next night in august when someone else is putting on a night in same town/area.

You've got my number.Give me a shout and we can talk.Whether others will is up for discussion.

On The Soul Side dates are published for the following year at least 12 months in advance.It doesn't take much to pick up the phone and call/text to find out even if not on any of the soul forums.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi soulies/promoters hope your all having a top weekend...

Many thanx for your inputs on this matter...i will be sorting out a night/afternoon where we can all hopefully meet up and chat about future events....

I spoke to the poole soul seekers last night at Bisley...(sorry Dave the wife won...lol, spoke to mr Smithers, he said it was a top night)...they are defo up for a meet on the matter...

once again thanx for all your replies...

Alfie

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Trouble is Sal if you do clash with local do's then those locals won't be in two places - and then all bemoan lack of local support. I know the issue maybe that they just dont like the SITS music policy, but I would have thought a few may cross between and with low numbers, every person counts :-)

Social source share

There is also the case that they hav'nt got a clue what the SITS music policy is...as the vast majority have never been ?? It's mostly minds made up on assumption, as nearly all of them don't go to Allniters...& the dj's we have are known throughout the country as some of the BEST !!! Our policy has mainly been aimed at people who go to Allniters on a reg basis, ALL the travellers actually know the records anyway...it's mainly the locals who don't, not all locals.... just most. You can't expect top dj's to play the stuff that mostly gets played down South...they would'nt be top dj's otherwise lol....& also most of the tunes played @ SITS are Oldies, just not the obvious tho in most cases.

Social source share

As regards to clashes, that would be almost impossible for us...as we have to look at the Allniter calender as Sallie mentioned. Would be great if I was proved wrong tho lol

Social source share

The key thing is to get all the promoters together to discuss the way forward. With so many local events happening it's important that there is some sort of co-operation, otherwise the scene will die, after all there are just not enough local soulies to attend every soul nite. I'm not in the business of soul nites so will not be treading on anyone's toes. We just need to all make sure that the scene continues to flourish on the south coast.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Whats the latest? see 4 promoters looking like they are going to get things moving, what about the other 10 ?

Good evening Mr Smithers...

Still waiting to hear from a few promoters...

Chris Thorley was kind enough to send his dates to me for next year...they are on here for other promoters to look at...

Alfie

Social source share

Be great if we could get a website up like Pete & Cathy Lyster's South West Soul Club with all the dates for venues in the area for everyone to look at...personally I think that would be a great idea for the South Coast & inland. Think it would bring people closer together in general, like it has in their region.

Any thoughts ??

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Be great if we could get a website up like Pete & Cathy Lyster's South West Soul Club with all the dates for venues in the area for everyone to look at...personally I think that would be a great idea for the South Coast & inland. Think it would bring people closer together in general, like it has in their region.

Any thoughts ??

Karen had a site running for couple of years but hardly anyone bothered to go on it but then again that c*** mouldier used to be on it poo stirring and causing strife to everyone so it basically died a death and Karen closed it cos it wasn't worth the grief.

What you all got to remember is that anyone is entitled to do what they want when they want cos not 1 promoter owns the area and there are some that will not only try to ruin your promotion but will go out of their way to clash. SS is not the be all and end all for promoters neither is FB but they are both a place for promoters to advertise their events so to think that them that clash wether they knew another event was on or not really wouldn't go out of their way to check and if they did would they care NO they would just go ahead and carry on with their event.. Sad but true so just make sure your event is the best it can be and if someone clashes with you then you have 2 options, 1- promote it like a promoter should do and badger every fooker you know to attend in a very polite personal friendshipy way and actually welcome and get to know your punters, 2- cancel and next time try doing it the no-1 way....

When you put an event on ALL it is is giving people an option for a place to go and attend nothing is a given right and yeah it's also about the promoter not just the music so remember to be nice and welcome everyone like they are your best friend and how about asking all you punters what they honestly thought of the event for some constructive comments good or bad so you could improve if need be cos after all your promoting not for you but for those that attend and remember that without your punters you are nothing. Make it all about the punters and your events will succeed and if those twats that couldn't give a fook want try clashing then more fool them let them clash.

Good luck with this but you are seriously wasting your time cos those that do care wont clash and if by accident it did happen then someone would move their event day wouldn't they...

Seriously best of luck cos I would rather have quality than quantity and the few punters that are about sometimes get taken for granted and put in awkward situations about which event to attend cos of the clashes.... remember promoters is not All about YOU ;-)

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

I've been lurking in the background, reading the recent posts about the South Coast. Here's a suggestion, if you all get on and support one another, Soul In The South, Southampton Soul Club (& Ghetto Soul), On The Soul Side & Southern Soul Party, why not just merge all together and come under one banner/promotion, therefore immediately increasing support and cutting down on possible clashes? Atmosphere at do's plays a big part, yes some enjoy listening (or in some dancing) to music, but if the crowds aren't there this in turn has an affect on future attendees.

From afar it looks to me like you all have a similar music policies, so why not just have the one promotion running with the new, rare & underplayed theme? Because from an outsiders point of view it looks like all 4 of the above are just competing against one another, the other promoters down the South Coast (IMO) seem to be targetting or appealing to the oldies/scooterist audience, who in turn are not generally interested in rare and underplayed. I maybe mistaken, but like I stated that is the impression that I get.

You could still all agree not to clash and have seperate promotions, but as I see it, some oldies fans may attend rare and underplayed nights, they will say to the promoters that they enjoyed it, because they don't want to cause upset by saying what they really feel, which is that "they endured it!"

Social source share

It all seems a sorry ol state of affairs on the South Coast, sad really....just hope things can improve somehow. Not much of a response tho so far for a subject you would have thought effected everybody. As was touched on above, many seem only interested in their own do's...so it's not a regional SCENE as such, just promoters doing their own thing & happy with a get together at Alfie's annual All Dayer which has proved to be a great event for ALL South Coast Soulies....fair play to him I say !!! I'm just hoping more promoters are intrigued by this idea of promotional harmony....sounds a good idea to me.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I've been lurking in the background, reading the recent posts about the South Coast. Here's a suggestion, if you all get on and support one another, Soul In The South, Southampton Soul Club (& Ghetto Soul), On The Soul Side & Southern Soul Party, why not just merge all together and come under one banner/promotion, therefore immediately increasing support and cutting down on possible clashes? Atmosphere at do's plays a big part, yes some enjoy listening (or in some dancing) to music, but if the crowds aren't there this in turn has an affect on future attendees.

From afar it looks to me like you all have a similar music policies, so why not just have the one promotion running with the new, rare & underplayed theme? Because from an outsiders point of view it looks like all 4 of the above are just competing against one another, the other promoters down the South Coast (IMO) seem to be targetting or appealing to the oldies/scooterist audience, who in turn are not generally interested in rare and underplayed. I maybe mistaken, but like I stated that is the impression that I get.

You could still all agree not to clash and have seperate promotions, but as I see it, some oldies fans may attend rare and underplayed nights, they will say to the promoters that they enjoyed it, because they don't want to cause upset by saying what they really feel, which is that "they endured it!"

Ian all southern promoters are all DJs so wouldnt be able to all get a spot and then no guests and f there was to be guests who would choose them, plus the event wouldnt be better attended cos no one hardly travels form town to town anymore unless they are djn, there is no chance this side of 2099 that some promoters would give a shoite about any other event other than there own and avoid clashing etc etc etc. well at Ghetto Soul most of those that attend are oldies fans and they keep coming back and are now the backbone of the night and also have to say the few that have not come back was honest to say some of it wasnt there cup of tea and aint come back so not everyone is 2 faced there is some very good stuff been played there you would be very suprised i reckon Ian, ps hope your well matey long time no see :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

It all seems a sorry ol state of affairs on the South Coast, sad really....just hope things can improve somehow. Not much of a response tho so far for a subject you would have thought effected everybody. As was touched on above, many seem only interested in their own do's...so it's not a regional SCENE as such, just promoters doing their own thing & happy with a get together at Alfie's annual All Dayer which has proved to be a great event for ALL South Coast Soulies....fair play to him I say !!! I'm just hoping more promoters are intrigued by this idea of promotional harmony....sounds a good idea to me.

nowt different to a lot of places oop norf Rod, hardly anyone travels from town to town in the south, yeas there are a few but not many and anyone that thinks they can bring the scene together and make it live in perfect harmony is deluded and needs to forget it cos it will never happen in a million years im afraid, oh not calling Alfie that started this thread deluded just the idea :lol: Alfie is just deranged :lol:

Social source share

Plenty of opinions with threads of this kind Up North tho...don't see many on here tho ?? They can't even be bothered to have an opinion down here, that's the sad thing...or perhaps they do, behind closed doors lol. Sad m8 only word for it !!! As you've said before.... it's just a social down here, the music dos'nt even enter into it unfortunately. Most would'nt mind if it was just cd's of Northern Soul Party Anthems played all nite these days lol.

Never mind, we can ALL dream........zzzzzzzzzzzz

Social source share

Not wanting to be rude, but the promotors you have just mentioned are about the only ones who bother....maybe its the others that you wanna target for communication, you wont get any tho, they all think there above it all & just dont care really, not all, but a lot.....even if any of em are reading this, which I very much doubt most wouldnt respond.

Best Russ

Social source share

Good evening Soulies...

Yes i am Deranged...lol

Many thanx for all your comments on here...very interesting indeed & some very good points...I would love to get together with all the other promoters & put on a event...we could make it a no dj policy for the promoters & have guest dj's only...say pick 1 dj per promoter...and do it for a good charity...ie cancer or something like that...it could be a platform that we need if you know what i mean..

I have Messaged a few more promoters about this topic Via FB...Still waiting on a reply...i am also hopeing to catch up with a few others...

Alfie

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Good evening Soulies...

Yes i am Deranged...lol

Many thanx for all your comments on here...very interesting indeed & some very good points...I would love to get together with all the other promoters & put on a event...we could make it a no dj policy for the promoters & have guest dj's only...say pick 1 dj per promoter...and do it for a good charity...ie cancer or something like that...it could be a platform that we need if you know what i mean..

I have Messaged a few more promoters about this topic Via FB...Still waiting on a reply...i am also hopeing to catch up with a few others...

Alfie

You can't say you tried Alfonzo you deluded looney lol

Social source share

Karen had a site running for couple of years but hardly anyone bothered to go on it but then again that c*** mouldier used to be on it poo stirring and causing strife to everyone so it basically died a death and Karen closed it cos it wasn't worth the grief.

What you all got to remember is that anyone is entitled to do what they want when they want cos not 1 promoter owns the area and there are some that will not only try to ruin your promotion but will go out of their way to clash. SS is not the be all and end all for promoters neither is FB but they are both a place for promoters to advertise their events so to think that them that clash wether they knew another event was on or not really wouldn't go out of their way to check and if they did would they care NO they would just go ahead and carry on with their event.. Sad but true so just make sure your event is the best it can be and if someone clashes with you then you have 2 options, 1- promote it like a promoter should do and badger every fooker you know to attend in a very polite personal friendshipy way and actually welcome and get to know your punters, 2- cancel and next time try doing it the no-1 way....

When you put an event on ALL it is is giving people an option for a place to go and attend nothing is a given right and yeah it's also about the promoter not just the music so remember to be nice and welcome everyone like they are your best friend and how about asking all you punters what they honestly thought of the event for some constructive comments good or bad so you could improve if need be cos after all your promoting not for you but for those that attend and remember that without your punters you are nothing. Make it all about the punters and your events will succeed and if those twats that couldn't give a fook want try clashing then more fool them let them clash.

Good luck with this but you are seriously wasting your time cos those that do care wont clash and if by accident it did happen then someone would move their event day wouldn't they...

Seriously best of luck cos I would rather have quality than quantity and the few punters that are about sometimes get taken for granted and put in awkward situations about which event to attend cos of the clashes.... remember promoters is not All about YOU ;-)

In our case, we know 95% of the travellers who are 95% of our attendance usually, the highest being 250+ @ Bumbles & the lowest being the last Allniter at probably the best venue for what we are trying to do, was 50-60 in a 120 approx capacity....obvious reason being to massive build up of events, that's why Lifeline cancelled !!!
Social source share

Good evening Soulies...

Yes i am Deranged...lol

Alfie

I hope you get a better response than on the couple of occasions I tried it, all they were interested in was DJing, when I said, no DJ's from them just guests started a right sh*t storm, its all about personal promotion, as opposed to promoting the music & the event.....good luck my friend, I think I will be speaking for Rich too when I say count Deep South into the equation mate....

Best Russ

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!