Love Test - Mel Carter

Guest Nick Harrison

Guest Nick Harrison

Did this ever appear on a previous US label before being published via MCA Music. Released through Airwave Records in the UK. Was this 1986 UK solid centre 45 pressing ever legit ? Although Love Test was recorded in 1984 ?

Thanks.

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Nick Harrison

Hi Nick

Hope alls good bud-yep it was on Airwave US 12"...another Richard Searling rave.....have a test press of the uk copy-great tune for sure

best

tfk :rofl:

Hi Andy,

Thanks - so Airwave USA and then later Uk legit Airwave released copies - yes. :D

Cheers.

Nick H :thumbsup: .

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

As far as I know it never got a 45 release in the US. There are some handwritten white labels of the US style but Im sure they are UK made. There was a US twelve but it was the UK solid centre 45 that got plays (slightly different mix). Got about 20 of the UK 45 left if anyones interested.

Steve

Social source share

As far as I know it never got a 45 release in the US. There are some handwritten white labels of the US style but Im sure they are UK made. There was a US twelve but it was the UK solid centre 45 that got plays (slightly different mix). Got about 20 of the UK 45 left if anyones interested.

Steve

hi Steve

That about sums the Mel Carter up:- Import 12 and solid centre/test press uk 45...great record for sure!!

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Thanks - So why does a well known authentic and concise 45's only USA guide, have this listed/documented as a USA 45 (Airewave 95004) release and the UK 45's shares the same release number.

Thanks.

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Steve

You are correct. We never put it on a 45, - only on 12". There was no 7" test pressing.

Social source share

Sorry, don't follow. There was a test press for the UK but in the USA style with no centre, but it was a UK press. There were no US presses of the 45. If you have a white I'd be interested in seeing a scan

Best Steve

Sorry bout that Steve -yep should read i have is a UK test press with a solid centre - and UK issue only

Social source share

Who was the guy involved in the UK with it. Got Mick Holdsworth in my mind but Im sure thats not right

Steve

Steve

Youve got me thinking re the guy who had the UK copies he sent me 20 issue copies and i can remember selling um over 1 weekend at Stafford nighter and then an alldayer in Blackpool the following day....

Edited by tfk
Social source share

Sorry bout that Steve -yep should read i have is a UK test press with a solid centre - and UK issue only

Well I was kinda involved in the promotion of the 45 but dont recall the solid centre until you mentined it. It sort of rings a bell and now I think I may have one but I really cant remember. Need to go digging

Steve

Social source share

Well I was kinda involved in the promotion of the 45 but dont recall the solid centre until you mentined it. It sort of rings a bell and now I think I may have one but I really cant remember. Need to go digging

Steve

Actually yes, have the UK centre white; God so many versions, its Northern all over again :D

Social source share

Over to you Robb :yes:

Sorry, I don't really know ANYTHING about how it got over to the UK. I was residing mostly in The Netherlands at that time. spending only a few months a year in L.A. I was around when we recorded Mel, and met him and Zelda Samuels. We had a press run of white background, blue font 12-inchers on Airwave International, and I heard it got some play in the dance clubs. There was talk about possibly marketing it in England, but I didn't get involved in that. That happened after I returned to Holland, and I never learned what happened there. I don't remember hearing about any sales in UK. But, in any case, the main money made there for us was just the upfront money in leasing the rights.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Who was the guy involved in the UK with it. Got Mick Holdsworth in my mind but Im sure thats not right

Steve

I'd kind of like to know that, myself.

On a side note, I think it's the best recording we ever made.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

I was always of the understanding that Mick Godfrey had a rather large hand in it's UK 45 release, but the small advert's sale's column in Black Echo's back then ....................did not display any connection to Grenville Close, Rothwell, Northants or All American Records. :g:

Hence my opening post - are these Uk shortened edited pressing's proven legit !!

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Hi Nick

Hoping alls good -all i can remember Nick is it was a guy from Surrey who released the record on a UK Airwave label-he had connections/contacts with the Airwave record label in the states [ remembering about the same time he sent me a box of US 12s and 7s off the same label]....some good releases amoungs them too which i still have to this day along with a load of promo black and white photos.He gave me the tip off re its release and like you say it was advertised in a small add in the back of Black Echoes-which back then that was one of the few ways you could advertise sale records unless you put a sales list out like Mick Godfrey used to....he sent me a 20 count box plus a test press for myself which all sold over 1 weekend...great record Nick for sure and brought the memories flooding back.Hey great times too.......

Andy

Edited by tfk
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!