The Records That Nobody Likes

Pete S
Message added by Source Team

topic has been closed due to the amount of  low quality posts

Guest Spain pete

Truly wonderful slab of fantastic northern SOUL !!  makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up🎶🎶

24 minutes ago, Zed1 said:

A truly Fabulous piece of Northern Soul that even 40+ years after the event still sounds fantastic. 

Social source share

39 minutes ago, Spain pete said:

Truly wonderful slab of fantastic northern SOUL !!  makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up🎶🎶

Back around 1976, I thought Soul was all about James Brown and Funk, a mate of mine who I knew was into Northern Soul explained that it was a bit different. He played me Johnny Caswell and I thought 'WOW!' I'd never heard anything as melodic and heartfelt and I fell in love with NS from that day on. I guess, as someone said, you should try to remember the first time you heard a certain tune and how you felt about it back then. 

Edited by Soul-Slider
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

On 07/04/2019 at 16:26, monny1916 said:

If you have only been involved in northern soul for 35 years I suggest you shouldn't comment on a record that probably hasn't been played at a niter venue before you were born 

I agree.

This topic should be split into two.

Records that you didn't rate when they were first played, and records that you can't stand now, even if you were ok with them when they first got played.

I was about 14 when I first heard under my thumb. It was a huge record in its day, and yes retrospectively....its dated now, but nostalgically it still deserves credit.

It's been mentioned before but Tim Tam did split the crowd right down the middle around 78 as I recall. 

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

58 minutes ago, soulatthedale said:

Each to his own as they say!

Think I'm half and half on this with you. Bobby Treetop was massive in 73, as you know, but I always found it a bit "meh" to be honest. Probably due to the sheer volume of top tunes being discovered weekly back then. R'n'B time however, I always loved.

Condition Red? With you 100%.  F***ing dire. Along with Joe90 and Hawaii5-0, it shows what happened to the scene in 75. One or two well known people really should hang their heads in shame. 

Social source share

Three records that do absolutely nothing for me are -

1) the previously mentioned Cajun Hart

2) Judy Street- "What"

3) Dobie Gray- "Out On The Floor" 

I don't hate them, don't think they are bad records, I just don't get anything out of them.

Social source share

On 07/04/2019 at 16:26, monny1916 said:

If you have only been involved in northern soul for 35 years I suggest you shouldn't comment on a record that probably hasn't been played at a niter venue before you were born 

Oh sorry,didn't know this thread was just for the baggy pant elitists born at the turn of the century..

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2012 at 22:15, wiggyflat said:

Dolly Gilmore is bloody awful...........a lot of records on this thread are actually liked...the snake etc etc ..........how about The Statue Tommy Sands.....The Lurch-Ted Cassidy

Top marks for spotting that one. I must have been blessed to escape having my ears assaulted by that over the years. Indeed, so enthralled was I, I played some other of her offerings. She must have been blindingly stunning or something to persuade the money men to put her voice on record.

Social source share

On 20/04/2012 at 21:12, Pep said:

While I'm watching the site closely for all the saddest reasons, I'd just like to add an observation or two:

When finding/playing newer sounds and discoveries, perfection is a luxury DJs can ill afford, and dancefloor reaction dictates how much play and how 'big' a record gets. Some of them weren't great, but a lot were. Also, in the past, there was a big turnover in music, with records arriving, getting big, getting re-issued, then dying - all in the space of a few months. This created a constant flow of fresh music, similar to the pop charts. That has almost completely vanished, leading to the build up of a huge pool of very good, very rare records which (for the most part) will never get massive. A record gets big when there are a few copies, held by several busy, influential DJs or it is a one-off being played week in week out at a well attended venue. Consequently a one-off played every week at Wigan, the Catacombs or Blackpool Mecca could get big. Such weekly 'lead' venues have gone forever I'm afraid.

Also you should always judge a record by your initial reaction, not years later when you've heard it a million times and are sick to the teeth of it. However with the benefit of hindsight, there is no need for mediocrity when selecting oldies. There are hundreds of really good ones to choose from. DJs have a responsibility, a moral duty if you like, to play good oldies. It is unforgivable to pick and promote an oldie which is best left forgotten. The dilemma, once some DJ has already done this, is whether to play the 'so-so' oldie or refuse to play it, on request, risking wrath and credibility with the dancing public.

I don't want to talk about individual tracks, but feel I should add that "Suzy's Serenade" was a floor filler, and played purely for that reason. Similarly "Cochise" was an outstanding, powerhouse new release which just had to be played. It was also relatively scarce for a couple of weeks as an US album track. It suffered the fate of becoming too big (a number one northern monster) for its own good, but doesn't deserve criticism from a technical standpoint. They both deserve a place in the pantheon of Northern Soul. On the other hand, we have records like Dawn which should simply never have been played at all. I would not be playing any of these at home in the foseeable future. They have all had their day, unlike the other Bob Wilson classic (vocal) "Feels Good" which I still love and play.

My humble views... take with a big pinch of salt.

Pep

Well said!

It's all about the dance for us when we are out, we can sit and listen at home. If it comes in our ears and out of our feet then it's good for us.

Imagine if the same tunes got us all up, there would be no room to dance!

I don't give a toss what friends or anyone out there does or doesn't like, music choice is personal. Dancers have a different take to non dancers, the self appointed soul police have their own opinions and that's how it should be... something for everybody.

Been doing this for 48 years and there has always been music that drives me and music that keeps me sat down but so what, that's only natural.

👍

Social source share

Don't expect many people agreeing with me on this ,but just about everything Dobie Gray ever released. I think I know what this is. Do you ever remember trying a drink when you were young and getting absolutely hammered off it to the point that even the smell of it afterwards would have your stomach lurching? I think perhaps somewhere back there I got overdosed on people playing Dobie Gray, and now I absolutely hate his stuff.

Edited by Steve C
typo
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Steve C said:

Don't expect many people agreeing with me on this ,but just about everything Dobie Gray ever released. I think I know what this is. Do you ever remember trying a drink when you were young and getting absolutely hammered off it to the point that even the smell of it afterwards would have your stomach lurching? I think perhaps somewhere back there I got overdosed on people playing Dobie Gray, and now I absolutely hate his stuff.

I think the fact that it was always one of the tracks that would be played if you ever were unfortunate to find yourself in a "normal" nightclub, when the DJ did his ten minute NS spot.  If you were a Rock n Roll fan, you'd probably feel the same about Bill Haley.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Steve C said:

have to ask just wtf is going on here

this is meant to be a soul forum where soul music fans talk, discuss soul related topic such as  the music and artists

if you feel such a need to pass on that you 'absolutely hate' someones complete work then do suggest strongly that you go and find somewhere else to post such

Edited by mike
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

1 minute ago, mike said:

this is meant to be a soul forum where soul music fans talk, discuss soul related topic such as  the music and artists

if you feel such a need to pass on that you 'absolutely hate' someones complete work then do suggest strongly that you go and find somewhere else

No problem, happy to oblige.

Social source share

11 minutes ago, mike said:

if you feel such a need to pass on that you 'absolutely hate' someones complete work then do suggest strongly that you go and find somewhere else to post such

I think the point is that one person dislikes a tune and another loves it...

Just interesting to see what gets mentioned. 

Ed

• Up vote 2
Social source share

5 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

I think the point is that one person dislikes a tune and another loves it...

Just interesting to see what gets mentioned. 

Ed

nah you picked up on the wrong point

reading people claiming to 'absolutely hate' one respected artists complete output ain't what this site is about

thats the point

Edited by mike
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Personal opinion , but I like “ Out on the Floor “ and lots of other Dobie Gray stuff.. 

Sounds I don’t like are Gwen & Ray “ Build your House “  and as others have said , “Afternoon with the Rhino”  - “ Condition Red “ 

But hate ... don’t like that word .. I just wouldn’t dance to something I didn’t like . 

• Up vote 1
  • Listening now 1
Social source share

As most people that know me and ( will play it out at their venues ) when I cross there doorstep to wind me up Helen Shapiro ..Tell me what he said just grinds my clench biting butt up ,great voice the lady has but sorry this is shite as is Bob Wilson who the fcuk was he ??

Edited by steviehay
Social source share

20 minutes ago, steviehay said:

As most people that know me and ( will play it out at their venues ) when I cross there doorstep to wind me up Helen Shapiro ..Tell me what he said just grinds my clench biting butt up ,great voice the lady has but sorry this is shite as is Bob Wilson who the fcuk was he ??

There was a discussion previously in this thread. Bob Wilson was pianist with the San Remo Strings, in fact I'm sure it was his group.

Here he is, photo from 1966 

23435999_BobWilson1966.jpg.15797ce0590dc09911609c11ce6fd579.jpg

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

5 hours ago, pjs said:

Oh sorry,didn't know this thread was just for the baggy pant elitists born at the turn of the century..

Don't do baggies, born in the fifties ,just can't see the point of dissing a tune you probably never heard until you looked like Mick & Keith regards Stephen 

Social source share

1 hour ago, monny1916 said:

Don't do baggies, born in the fifties ,just can't see the point of dissing a tune you probably never heard until you looked like Mick & Keith regards Stephen 

Soul snobbery rearing it's ugly head again,If you didn't go here or go there you don't count brigade,it's everything that's bad about the scene ,there are some right tits on the scene I love it when they stick there hands in the air,I suggest you keep you hands in your pockets.

Social source share

On 03/04/2019 at 18:38, WalesKTF said:

Anything that is considered to be 70s 'crossover' or 'modern' on the Northern Soul scene. Face facts, 99.99% of them are just cheesy 70s disco records. Uhhhgggg

What a plum,do you think the artists in the sixties went out to record a "northern soul hit" no they went out to record a soul hit,the only people that went out to record an actual "northern soul"record were the likes of Wigans Ovations and The Allnight Band in the seventies..

• Up vote 3
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

pjs, you are the plum, a prized one at that! Perhaps you don't understand what I am saying here! What I am saying, if you can't grasp my post which you obviously can't, is that 70s (yes, records made in the 1970s) and classed by some people as  70s 'crossover' or 'modern' are infact disco music, which to my ears is shite. Yes  70s DISCO music, not crap by the likes of Wigans Ovations and The Allnight Band(which were shite pap pop dressed up as Northern Soul), but actual  70s disco music.  70s Disco music that some deluded people call 'crossover' or 'modern'. It's shite, it is Disco music, not 'crossover' or 'modern! Understand now, what I am saying? By the way, I know this is just my opinion, and there are quite a few people out there who love 'crossover' and 'modern'. However, no matter what term or terms you couch the genre of music in, 70s 'modern' and 'crossover' are just plain, ordinary  crap disco music.

Social source share