The Records That Nobody Likes

Pete S
Message added by Source Team

topic has been closed due to the amount of  low quality posts

:hatsoff2: HI ALL This is a good thread, as yet I have only read Pete's starting page, and immediately thought out off all the records, why does he not like SUZY SERANADE??

The more I read this type of remark? I have to wonder, what is not to like about it, as it would justify the reason, and not for speculative replies, or agreement that it's had it's day,?

There could only be 1 reason not to like it, you did not hear it when it was a top TORCH SOUND, You have got it so wrong Pete, top sound played to the in crowd, nice dancer, when dancing meant putting spins splits & backdrops to the breakers in the beat or a tempo lift, this was a great spin, and the flip, is the standard 'after hours' and I am sure that there was a vocal to it?

Back to the point, the thread could be a variation on 'the Strange World of Northern Soul' which is in no particular order 1, always box clever about anything, this used to irritate me in the early days, of the scene, when at Blackpool Mecca the real know it all paradise, when you had to own a special top sound to be acknowledged, as at one time, as I was trying to remember a tune, so I could go to Contempos and by it for 85p, was the cover up, also we must not forget at the junction mecca torch cats, a high percentage of the records were less than 2 years old many were current, so my first choice in this thread goes to all the cover up records, 2 records in particular both played buy KEITH M at the TORCH #1 a record i am sure was cover up as Otis smith, I really loved the record and when MICK S offered me it for £1.50 I was really chuffed #2 again was to my block head a great tune, £1.50 of MICK ,, when I got home I naturally wanted to find out who or what was written on the label? A 55p RECORD. THE OTHER WAS HARTBREAKER HONEY END ON SPARK/

post-13241-0-60319000-1334968352_thumb.j

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Carmel Strings - I Hear A Symphony.

Grand Piano Company - Esperanto.

:( .

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Kind of missing the point of the topic, and obviously it was only meant to be a light hearted one.

I hate Suzys Serenade just on the grounds that it's rubbish, and I don't know anyone else who likes it. (Until now of course)

The mission was to think of a record that you can never remember anyone liking but it got played anyway.

Not about records that were just plain bad.

Someone said Esperanto earlier - great choice. Nobody liked it. Except maybe Mr C.

Social source share

Lester Lain - Dizzy........oh my god!!

But worse than that is......................Epitome Of Sound - You Don't Love Me..........incoming!!! truly fu**ing awful!!

Daz,you need to lay off the beer.Epitome of Sound????? Wind up merchant.!!!! :wicked:

Social source share

I didn,t mind it when i first heard it,even bought a copy. I think at the time anything went as long as the tempo was right. One of my hated one,s is The Vogues " Thats the Tune" what a load of dross, once again it was the tempo of the song.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

at the end of the day, you will never find a record that nobody ever liked, because no dj in the right mind would play a record he hated, would he?

so thats one person that likes it at least.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

at the end of the day, you will never find a record that nobody ever liked, because no dj in the right mind would play a record he hated, would he?

so thats one person that likes it at least.

I've played a few in my time that I don't like but the job of a true DJ is to entertain the crowd, fill the floor / educate the floor and ensure the promoter is getting value for money in the way of returning clientelle..... whether you like the tune or not when it sits on the decks.

Steve

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

As inviaribly happens on here now, this thread has gone way off point.

It's called 'The Record That Nobody Likes' - for which, I agree, 'Suzy's Serenade' seemed like a pretty good candidate - not 'the record that you don't like'.

I like Cherry People and Gary Lewis - not as Northern records particularly, but I like 'em. They are great pop songs, beautifully arranged and competently performed. What's not to like for the non-narrowminded?.

And Epitome Of Sound a 'record that nobody likes?' - surely hundreds, probably thousands of people like'You Don't Love Me'. Everyone I know likes it for a start.

Same goes for 'Queen Of Fools', and probably 50% of the tracks cited so far.

How long will it be till someone cites the Carstairs as the record that nobody likes. Not even Pete - for all his admitted hatred of it - would come on here and say that!

Contrary to what someone said a few posts back, this isn't a good thread anymore. It's just turned into yet another excuse to beat a few overplayed but still great records with a bloody great stick...

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

50% cited and hoping this does not upset the balance, but is in keeping with Pete's thread = Carrell Coyle on Lisa 101 - Coming On Strong Girl / Love.

Social source share

Maybe I don't understand the thread then. I thought I was quoting a few records that I genuinely used to wince whenever they were played in the context of Northern Soul. Nobody I hung with at the time liked any of the records I posted so I don't really understand what's so different about them compared to a "Suzy's Serenade" or "Esperanto". What did I miss?

Funilly enough when I first started on the scene "Suzy's Serenade" was a seriously big record with the Torch crew........ :g:

Ian D :D

Social source share

I like Cherry People and Gary Lewis - not as Northern records particularly, but I like 'em. They are great pop songs, beautifully arranged and competently performed. What's not to like for the non-narrowminded?.

Different strokes Tony. I could happily never hear either of 'em again. I like a lot of other pop stuff from the same era but not those two because I'm not keen on either the vocal or the songs. If that makes me narrow-minded then fine.

Ian D :D

Social source share

Just found this on a YouTube post:

Hi, I am that Bob Wilson, thanks for digging my record. This was cut in Nashville in 1966 and was the other side of After Hours. For¯»¿ some background on this record check out The B Side Bob Wilson - In The Midnight Hour.

I am at studiopiano@yahoo.com

Someone could maybe email him and let him know how well liked his record is here on the Northern Soul scene

:D

Is this the same or different to the Bob Wilson on Ric-Tic? Have always wondered but never asked.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Daz,you need to lay off the beer.Epitome of Sound????? Wind up merchant.!!!! :wicked:

No not a wind up, i proper hate it and i always hated it, honestly cannot see how it ever got as big as it did and remain as big as it is.

The flip side is another matter.........now that is a tune!!

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Just found this on a YouTube post:

Hi, I am that Bob Wilson, thanks for digging my record. This was cut in Nashville in 1966 and was the other side of After Hours. For¯»¿ some background on this record check out The B Side Bob Wilson - In The Midnight Hour.

I am at studiopiano@yahoo.com

Someone could maybe email him and let him know how well liked his record is here on the Northern Soul scene

:D

Is this the same or different to the Bob Wilson on Ric-Tic? Have always wondered but never asked.

Cheers

Richard

Nah the Bob Wilson on Ric-Tic was the musician

Suzy Serenade was by Bob Wilson the Arsenal goalkeeper , who was Frank Wilsons brother ! :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Nah the Bob Wilson on Ric-Tic was the musician

Suzy Serenade was by Bob Wilson the Arsenal goalkeeper , who was Frank Wilsons brother ! :D

Andy - no mate - that's not right ...

I think you mean Harold Wilson - Labour Party Leader - twice Prime Minister of the UK - and Lord Wilson of Rievaulx :lol:

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

I think you mean Harold Wilson - Labour Party Leader - twice Prime Minister of the UK - and Lord Wilson of Rievaulx :lol:

Cheers

Richard

Cheers

Richard

Thats right Harold Wilson son of Nancy Wilson who was married to Jocky wilson and they had a son called Jackie Wilson :D Edited by allnightandy
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

Well, it's funny how your tastes change as the years march on. I just found a vinyl in one of me Schweppes crates of 'Countdown' , played it & thought 'what a POS', whereas I thought it was the dog's when I first heard it & for several years thereafter, as did all of our crew. So, I wonder how many of us will have changed our minds, like me.

Surely, the thread is about sounds that nobody likes now, not back then?

Social source share

Guest Brooky

Kind of missing the point of the topic, and obviously it was only meant to be a light hearted one.

I hate Suzys Serenade just on the grounds that it's rubbish, and I don't know anyone else who likes it. (Until now of course)

The mission was to think of a record that you can never remember anyone liking but it got played anyway.

Not about records that were just plain bad.

Someone said Esperanto earlier - great choice. Nobody liked it. Except maybe Mr C.

===========================================================================

Esperanto....nobody ever liked it? :ohmy: There were floor-fulls of people at Wigan in 1977 who did an incredible impression of liking it!!! I've never seen such convincing performances.

Still, turns out they were pretending....damn....they had me fooled!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

post-26636-0-73645400-1335085413_thumb.j

Here's mine.....I think there must be a 'cock crowing' somewhere for some of the contibutors on this thread!!!!! :yes:

Edited by Brooky
Social source share

===========================================================================

Esperanto....nobody ever liked it? :ohmy: There were floor-fulls of people at Wigan in 1977 who did an incredible impression of liking it!!! I've never seen such convincing performances.

Still, turns out they were pretending....damn....they had me fooled!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

post-26636-0-73645400-1335085413_thumb.j

Here's mine.....I think there must be a 'cock crowing' somewhere for some of the contibutors on this thread!!!!! :yes:

Firstly Esperanto was never played in 77, it was played in 78, and then only for about 3 weeks, and people were dancing to Mickey Mouse Concerto, Nita Rossi and Mary Saenz at the same time so you can't use that as a barometer of popularity!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Very intresting reading and what really comes to the fore is that nobody so far has managed to name a record that everybody agrees is complete tripe lol, You cant put the words northern soul and rubbish music in the same sentence as it was a drug fuled dance scene, it was different from anything else it was travelling, dancing, friendship etc so i dont think i ever seen it as a musical wonder in its own right, however nowadays the dance side has mellowed (were all older) i think most listen now rather than just look for a beat to dance to, ..... i think you could take 500 tunes and disect them musically and then 99% of folk would agree that they are rubbish ,however music & northern go together for so many different reasons, we involve memory,s emotions etc which have no bearing on the soulful quality of a record. I,d like to add that most places you go dont have the same numbers etc as the old days or the same ethos, you used to go to a nite and expect to hear loads of new records and embrace them good or bad and that was probably created by the numbers dancing while fueled with drugs, now your on your own and have years of wisdom and taste so its much easier to decide if something is good or bad immedietly where as years ago with a 1000 people in a hall and 700 of them dancing it sorta got u caught up in it, whether or not it was good or bad. Just for the record i hear stuff now that i think is absolute crap that back in the day loved to bits (only because i danced to it ) i suppose looking back it was never a great record but it ticked most of the boxes for a dance beat.......... ive wracked my brains to find an awful record that may just manage to go across the board on the everyone agrees list and all i can come up with is Wakefield sun, Trypt on love ????

Social source share

Very intresting reading and what really comes to the fore is that nobody so far has managed to name a record that everybody agrees is complete tripe lol, You cant put the words northern soul and rubbish music in the same sentence as it was a drug fuled dance scene, it was different from anything else it was travelling, dancing, friendship etc so i dont think i ever seen it as a musical wonder in its own right, however nowadays the dance side has mellowed (were all older) i think most listen now rather than just look for a beat to dance to, ..... i think you could take 500 tunes and disect them musically and then 99% of folk would agree that they are rubbish ,however music & northern go together for so many different reasons, we involve memory,s emotions etc which have no bearing on the soulful quality of a record. I,d like to add that most places you go dont have the same numbers etc as the old days or the same ethos, you used to go to a nite and expect to hear loads of new records and embrace them good or bad and that was probably created by the numbers dancing while fueled with drugs, now your on your own and have years of wisdom and taste so its much easier to decide if something is good or bad immedietly where as years ago with a 1000 people in a hall and 700 of them dancing it sorta got u caught up in it, whether or not it was good or bad. Just for the record i hear stuff now that i think is absolute crap that back in the day loved to bits (only because i danced to it ) i suppose looking back it was never a great record but it ticked most of the boxes for a dance beat.......... ive wracked my brains to find an awful record that may just manage to go across the board on the everyone agrees list and all i can come up with is Wakefield sun, Trypt on love ????

Absolutely agree with your choice and thats one of the records that really started putting me off going to Wigan.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

"Scratchy" - Travis Wammack.Where was his head at? Hip hop drum breaks with fuzz guitar and backwards talking ala Exorcist.......apologies to the old boys on here..Wheel,Torch,Cats boys..scary hillbilly rock yes...but its rubbish.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

"Scratchy" - Travis Wammack.Where was his head at? Hip hop drum breaks with fuzz guitar and backwards talking ala Exorcist.......apologies to the old boys on here..Wheel,Torch,Cats boys..scary hillbilly rock yes...but its rubbish.

...Liked it then - and even before 'then' - like it now.

Same goes for 'Trypt On Love'.

Still not found one, then...

Social source share

Guest Brooky

...Liked it then - and even before 'then' - like it now.

Same goes for 'Trypt On Love'.

Still not found one, then...

=========================================================================================

How about 'Jimmy Cliff'.....Waterfall.......???????

Social source share

Remember a fair few dancing to Wakefield Sun at The Fleet in 1978. Also remember Soul Sam playing Esperanto at the same venue and likening the intro to Levine tap dancing. Why on earth would Sam play that record other than to have a larf at Levine's expense?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Still dont know anybody who likes "Kenny Gamble "AKA Tony Blackburn's version of Doris Troys Classic ?

You might be onto something there... :yes:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Bernadette Castro Get Rid Of Him? Don't remember anyone liking it. Heard Vincent play it in the same set as Matt Lucas. Sublime to the ridiculous or what?

Yes, sublime to the ridiculous - in that order...

Bernadette Castro is a wonderful girl group record. A nigh-on flawless example of the genre, I'd say.

Matt Lucas, on the other hand, isn't all that really - if a long way from being a 'record that nobody likes', obviously.

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Yes, sublime to the ridiculous - in that order...

Bernadette Castro is a wonderful girl group record. A nigh-on flawless example of the genre, I'd say.

Matt Lucas, on the other hand, isn't all that really - if a long way from being a 'record that nobody likes', obviously.

That's the first positive word I've heard about BC. What about Paula Durante - If He Were Mine. Its peculiar tempo confused a lot of folk, unlike the cod Motown 'You're Not My Kind'.

Social source share

like CharlieW said hindsight is a wonderfull thing...as us lot from Sammie's used to say " most of us would have danced to mary had a little lamb if it had a beat to it given the fact that we were always off our heads on the dancefloor...and yes i was there when Goodbye Nothing to Say was played ad nauseum that night at Wigan...btw Scratchy is a brilliant tune lol

• Helpful 2
Social source share