The Records That Nobody Likes

Pete S
Message added by Source Team

topic has been closed due to the amount of  low quality posts

That's the first positive word I've heard about BC. What about Paula Durante - If He Were Mine. Its peculiar tempo confused a lot of folk, unlike the cod Motown 'You're Not My Kind'.

The old Rose Batiste cover up? That intro used to make my hair stand on end I loved it so much...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Well, nobody's sprung to the defence of 'Lenny Gamble' yet so that make it the winner at this stage, I think!

Social source share

I made a post a bit like this mainly about 'floor clearers' and why do some DJ's carry on with a train of records that nobody will dance to. I seem to be being told that I am going to the wrong places. But if that is the case why do people travel so far to do's they believe will be good, past the doors of local venues. Also with so many travelling DJ's what gets them the Gig is it their reputation or just swopping each other for the money or trying to keep the venue a bit different each time or something else?

I am hoping to build up a list of venue's that I can look forward to. cheers

Social source share

I'd just like to point out as one of the 1st contributors to this thread, and the original mentioner of Gaylord & Holliday, that I do actually love "Love Where Have You Gone", it sounds great loud, in a decent room, and was also one of the 1st things I bought when I started collecting again!(from Mark W I think!)

Having seen mention of Hawaii 5 O (loving the new series on SKY at the moment), I'm surprised no one mention Sammy Davis Jnr "You Can Count On Me" I can't remember ANYONE admitting liking that, except maybe Sean Haydon back in the day, but I might have imagined that.......

Social source share

I'd just like to point out as one of the 1st contributors to this thread, and the original mentioner of Gaylord & Holliday, that I do actually love "Love Where Have You Gone", it sounds great loud, in a decent room, and was also one of the 1st things I bought when I started collecting again!(from Mark W I think!)

Having seen mention of Hawaii 5 O (loving the new series on SKY at the moment), I'm surprised no one mention Sammy Davis Jnr "You Can Count On Me" I can't remember ANYONE admitting liking that, except maybe Sean Haydon back in the day, but I might have imagined that.......

I can add one to your post Mr C .....................................SPIDERMAN!!!!! what was all that abour?

Social source share

Add to that list..............JAMIE-PRICELESS GEM, another one i can`t think of anyone who liked it, thank god i can`t find a clip, it makes my ears bleed :yes:

I better take that out of the play box for the Crescent then......

Social source share

Kind of missing the point of the topic, and obviously it was only meant to be a light hearted one.

I hate Suzys Serenade just on the grounds that it's rubbish, and I don't know anyone else who likes it. (Until now of course)

The mission was to think of a record that you can never remember anyone liking but it got played anyway.

Not about records that were just plain bad.

Someone said Esperanto earlier - great choice. Nobody liked it. Except maybe Mr C.

Correct, I did like it!

Social source share

While I'm watching the site closely for all the saddest reasons, I'd just like to add an observation or two:

When finding/playing newer sounds and discoveries, perfection is a luxury DJs can ill afford, and dancefloor reaction dictates how much play and how 'big' a record gets. Some of them weren't great, but a lot were. Also, in the past, there was a big turnover in music, with records arriving, getting big, getting re-issued, then dying - all in the space of a few months. This created a constant flow of fresh music, similar to the pop charts. That has almost completely vanished, leading to the build up of a huge pool of very good, very rare records which (for the most part) will never get massive. A record gets big when there are a few copies, held by several busy, influential DJs or it is a one-off being played week in week out at a well attended venue. Consequently a one-off played every week at Wigan, the Catacombs or Blackpool Mecca could get big. Such weekly 'lead' venues have gone forever I'm afraid.

Also you should always judge a record by your initial reaction, not years later when you've heard it a million times and are sick to the teeth of it. However with the benefit of hindsight, there is no need for mediocrity when selecting oldies. There are hundreds of really good ones to choose from. DJs have a responsibility, a moral duty if you like, to play good oldies. It is unforgivable to pick and promote an oldie which is best left forgotten. The dilemma, once some DJ has already done this, is whether to play the 'so-so' oldie or refuse to play it, on request, risking wrath and credibility with the dancing public.

I don't want to talk about individual tracks, but feel I should add that "Suzy's Serenade" was a floor filler, and played purely for that reason. Similarly "Cochise" was an outstanding, powerhouse new release which just had to be played. It was also relatively scarce for a couple of weeks as an US album track. It suffered the fate of becoming too big (a number one northern monster) for its own good, but doesn't deserve criticism from a technical standpoint. They both deserve a place in the pantheon of Northern Soul. On the other hand, we have records like Dawn which should simply never have been played at all. I would not be playing any of these at home in the foseeable future. They have all had their day, unlike the other Bob Wilson classic (vocal) "Feels Good" which I still love and play.

My humble views... take with a big pinch of salt.

Pep

Wow, you are a mine of knowledge it seems on the soul scene and I greatly respect what you say. I don't know if I am an oddity but I have just come back to dancing after 40 years. I suspect you are right in that if I had carried on going dancing after my youf I might think 'oh god I am so sick of that'. But. All those tracks people are tired of sound brand new to me, my memory is shaky but from what I remember of the Nottingham Palais was virtually all Motown and the spin offs and stax. 'Do I love you' 'Lay that Burden down' 'I'm on my way' etc etc are all brand new to me!.

My cousin's funeral had 'Boogie wonderland' played as his favourite track and time. Mine will be 6X6, played as a request for me recently and the floor was jumping. I suppose some people would think 'Oh god not that again. Maybe its like 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. I am happy just to be able to dance to it! I sit down for smoochy or 100mph tracks and modern. I honour everything else.

Edited by mikeyof
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Enjoy your rediscovery of your dancing feet mate though I suspect the scene that you grew up on 68-72 was a far cry from what later became 'northern' soul in the mid 70s, with the championing of contemporary releases and the consequent change in tempo and dance styles. I arrived on the cusp of this change and managed to embrace the two genres, though I baulked at the Disco that became popular around 76-77. In the last few years I've got into the slower, midtempo stuff recorded 68-74 commonly known as Crossover today, though admittedly many self-styled uptempo terrorists consider it inappropriate for the dancefloor. Go with what grabs you best and try to keep an open mind, something I denied myself for years. :D

Social source share

Many thanks Macca, in you're brief reply you given me some valuable education. Wondered what crossover meant, but a bloke doesn't like to appear igurant by asking. My brother is a northern soul fan he is the one who started me off again by sending me tunes through email. But as 'LEN' basically said ones mans meat is another mans poison .ie his taste was different to mine. I asked him what is a good danceable track like how many bpm 80-100-120 and 3/4, 4/4 time to which he replied 'Dunno what you mean mate'.

Have to say watching Tommo dancing to "Lay that Burden Down" on the clip 'The Obsession that is Northern Soul 3' on Youtube is like watching dancing as good as anything Nureyev or Diversity could do. I admire the 'big trouser' guy's too which I think are the 'Wigan' pureists. But to me Tommo is the Dogs Danglers.

Social source share

I know it's all very subjective, but has anyone got a good word for The Magic Band - Falbala? I can't find a clip of it, but I heard it once around 1976 - me being younger, impressionable, stupid, whatever, and actually bought it. Never played it since.

Edited by John Moffatt
Social source share

I know it's all very subjective, but has anyone got a good word for The Magic Band - Falbala? I can't find a clip of it, but I heard it once around 1976 - me being younger, impressionable, stupid, whatever, and actually bought it. Never played it since.

Yes me, love it :ohmy:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

In a strange sort of way Steve I'm glad someone likes it. It means perhaps I wasn't all that wrong when I bought it. If you're looking for a copy you can have mine. If it's going to a good home I'll quite happily part with it for nowt.

Thanks John but I've still got the copy I bought in 75 :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest martyn

Remember a fair few dancing to Wakefield Sun at The Fleet in 1978. Also remember Soul Sam playing Esperanto at the same venue and likening the intro to Levine tap dancing. Why on earth would Sam play that record other than to have a larf at Levine's expense?

He had Esperanto covered up as 'Sons of Moses' in early/mid 78 Mackie.......I must admit I loved it when I was blocked ! Same goes for Wakefield Sun, but I can't remember the cover up name Sam was using (?)

Social source share

Guest martyn

Love Falbala ! Was playing as I walked into St Ives for the first time in January 76, suppose its about memories .

Social source share

Guest DeeJay

Answer this hoestly: do you truly know anyone who actually likes

BOB WILSON - SUZY'S SERENADE.

I've never met anyone who liked it!

It was like when John Leach was being played at Wigan - nobody liked it!

Thats a load of bollocks, always loved John Leach. Always danced to it even at Wigan.

DJ

Social source share

Guest MrC

Did anyone ever actually like The Halos - 'Come Softly To Me'? - Bloody awful, I bought one once, and immediately broke it in half, just so it was one less I had the chance of hearing anywhere!

Even The New Seekers version was better!

(I did like 'Do I' though)

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

I love Frankie and the Classicals , What shall i do

Apart from the talkie break in the middle !

Social source share

Did anyone ever actually like The Halos - 'Come Softly To Me'? - Bloody awful, I bought one once, and immediately broke it in half, just so it was one less I had the chance of hearing anywhere!

Even The New Seekers version was better!

(I did like 'Do I' though)

I don't remember it being played (here we go again, no doubt you'll tell me I was there) :lol:

Social source share

Guest MrC

I don't remember it being played (here we go again, no doubt you'll tell me I was there) :lol:

Yes you were! It was around 77-78 I think.

:lol:

Social source share

Ah' perhaps I'm mistaking it for another one, gerri thomas 'look what I got'? I remember you chiding me during one of my soul police rants on that wave of stuff (barry benson, peggy march, helen shapiro, jackie trent etc) that used to drive me into M's or funk rooms, of all places, around 1978. That's how I discovered there was a DJ in Notts called Duke Polluta Funk... :D

Social source share

Guest MrC

Ah' perhaps I'm mistaking it for another one, gerri thomas 'look what I got'? I remember you chiding me during one of my soul police rants on that wave of stuff (barry benson, peggy march, helen shapiro, jackie trent etc) that used to drive me into M's or funk rooms, of all places, around 1978. That's how I discovered there was a DJ in Notts called Duke Polluta Funk... :D

He's probably forgotten Macca, his memory's not what it was you know! :lol:

Social source share

No I make no secret that I love Helen Shapiro, Paula Parfitt, Jackie Trent, but these are mainly Brit girl pop-soul things, not too keen on Gerri Thomas

Social source share

• 1 month later...