The Records That Nobody Likes

Pete S
Message added by Source Team

topic has been closed due to the amount of  low quality posts

The Halos - Come Softly To Me on Congress - I bought one once and immediately smashed it into pieces - one less that anyone could ever buy and play out somewhere I might be!

Social source share

I hate loads of stuff that has been played over the years - some of it would struggle to be defined as "Northern Soul" as is in the name of the thread. I would probably end up posting stuff that I've posted on similar threads and then you'll be on me like dogs!

:sweatingbullets:

Social source share

without thinking too hard.......johnny caswell (the worst record EVER!) Kell Osbourne Quicksand, Seeds Pushin Too Hard,and a pile of so called RnB stuff from about 1950 odd, aaarrrggghhh!

Gordon Bennett!

If you can post up poor old Johnny what about proper shite like Tim Tam, James Coit, that Mickey Mouse thing etc.

There - my starter for fecking ten and I feel a rant coming on!

ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Muriel Day.

Jeanette Harper.

Were poo, are poo and will always be .....

(am I supposed to say "In My Humble Opinion" now)

If you have an opinion Bod, for fecks sake be bold about it! None of this humble nonsense!

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Doug banks I just kept on dancing.....bad memories of the turgid beat ballads played on the eighties nineties...

Agree on the Doug Banks ..... sounds like the theme to a shite b movie western

Marv Johnson - Come On and Stop

Muriel Day - Nine Times Out Of Ten

Judy Street - What

Rain - Out Of My Mind

Last and not least

The Rock - An Aspirin Would Go Crazy

Talking of aspirin :D

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

as said many times

if you are closing a thread then ask that you post up that you have done so

as by posting it avoids confusion and misunderstandings amongst mods and members

allnightandy

not the first time have had to post about this on a thread by yourself

so asking you not to lock/close any more threads in future

thanks

mike

Edited by mike
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

as said many times

if you are closing a thread then ask that you post up that you have done so

as by posting it avoids confusion and misunderstandings amongst mods and members

allnightandy

not the first time have had to post about this on a thread by yourself

so asking you not to lock/close any more threads in future

thanks

mike

Mike as soon as Pete said it was the same

i locked it but put an explanation as to why i was locking it due to it being the same as Petes

but it never appeared

i assumed you had locked it before my post appeared

Social source share

Doug banks I just kept on dancing.....bad memories of the turgid beat ballads played on the eighties nineties...

:hatsoff2: HI AL DOUG BANKS, I can understand if a record triggers of a personal issue, But as a record, I think you have it woefully wrong I really do!

Over the years there have been some really awful records played and then there are the records that have crept onto the scene that belong more to celebrate a Chris Hill revival, what I class as forgotten DISCO,

DOUG BANKS is a good example of early Chicago SOUL, it has a the right pace & tempo to make it powerful enough to dance to, and is a genuine rare find, It has also remains popular for many a year, and held a price when others are forgotten by many, the fact is the facts speak for themselves with this one, Also it was one of the first of it's type, and many would say it opened the door to many other great records, and indeed saved the scene at the time?

:ohmy: Please think again Brother :thumbsup: DAVE K

Social source share

discovered by FRANK aka IAN DEWHIRST

Yep. 'Fraid so. I was trawling Paul Schofield's collection at the time and this appeared out of the blue. I wasn't even over keen on the original but, hey, there was nothing much else popping up at the time.........

....you can put Al De Lory's "Right On" in a similar catergory..... :(

Lenny Curtis was pretty cool though, although everyone wrote it off as being too dated at the time........ :P

Ian D :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

As I am not part of the UK Northern Soul scene/heritage, I always wondered if "Pretty Boy" by Dora Hall and records by Anita Bryant and Patti Page were actually played in the clubs and how they are connected to NS. I started seeing NS want lists in the mid 1980s and DH was always the top record that made me and others of my peers scratch our heads.

I don't know if this really fits the subject but can someone explain how these records fit the NS scene, if they really did or are they just a 'wind-up'?

Social source share

As I am not part of the UK Northern Soul scene/heritage, I always wondered if "Pretty Boy" by Dora Hall and records by Anita Bryant and Patti Page were actually played in the clubs and how they are connected to NS. I started seeing NS want lists in the mid 1980s and DH was always the top record that made me and others of my peers scratch our heads.

I don't know if this really fits the subject but can someone explain how these records fit the NS scene, if they really did or are they just a 'wind-up'?

I think Dora Hall had very minor plays. The Anita Bryant, I've never heard played out, but it would only be played as an "ender" anyway. As the person who was responsible for introducing the general public to this record, I take all the blame. Patti Page was definitely played as a cheaper alternative to the Teddy Randazzo version. But it's never about the artist, it's about what comes out of the grooves, otherwise Northern Soul would have no Dana Valery, Rufus Lumley etc.

Social source share

discovered by FRANK aka IAN DEWHIRST

Good find Ian, I absolutely loved the French Fries and I still do, one of these days I'll post up a Wigan tape I recorded off the balcony and when this comes on you should hear the feet stomping to it, so loud you think it's clapping!

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI AL DOUG BANKS, I can understand if a record triggers of a personal issue, But as a record, I think you have it woefully wrong I really do!

Over the years there have been some really awful records played and then there are the records that have crept onto the scene that belong more to celebrate a Chris Hill revival, what I class as forgotten DISCO,

DOUG BANKS is a good example of early Chicago SOUL, it has a the right pace & tempo to make it powerful enough to dance to, and is a genuine rare find, It has also remains popular for many a year, and held a price when others are forgotten by many, the fact is the facts speak for themselves with this one, Also it was one of the first of it's type, and many would say it opened the door to many other great records, and indeed saved the scene at the time?

:ohmy: Please think again Brother :thumbsup: DAVE K

Have to agree with you here Dave, Doug Banks, briliant record with that fantastic dramatic intro...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The Anita Bryant, I've never heard played out, but it would only be played as an "ender" anyway. As the person who was responsible for introducing the general public to this record, I take all the blame.

...pity you didn't introduce me to the copy that you sold to my mate John recently, I'd've had your arm off for it if I'd known it was so good!...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

...pity you didn't introduce me to the copy that you sold to my mate John recently, I'd've had your arm off for it if I'd known it was so good!...

Sorry Tone, didn't know you had any mates :lol:

no but seriously, when I first heard this, absolutely totally unknown and the chap who had it collected beat, so as a swap I actually gave him The Craig on Fontana for it :ohmy:

you can have my demo when I sell it in a few weeks though if you want it

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

nothing wrong with Doug Banks, and the flip is awesome.

Baby since you went away.

Marginally better but still horrible. That's my personal opinion anyway. Just that, an opinion, nothing more nothing less

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Anything at all by Donnie elbert, what made him think he could sing ffs? dont care if i turned up and acetate with him doing a new version of 'do I love you' I'd still shte on it!

As I said in a previous post mate, it's all opinions. Don't like his more uptempo numbers but for me Donnie Elbert comes into his own on some great ballads.

Being a ballad & deep soul lover i think "Can't Get Over Losing You" is f'kin' fabulous.

What Can I Do

Everything To Me

Ohh Baby Baby

are also great (IMO)

Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hi All lets have proper rubbish please, not stuff related to losing your sort, when she found out you had screwed her best mate, and this was our record, or any other mush OK!

As for DONNIE ELBERT who had original ALL-NIGHTER plays at the SCENE CLUB, TILES, MOJO, NIGHT OWL, & THE TWISTED WHEEL CLUB,

With the fantastic "a little piece of leather", Even the remake on All-Platinum, got a chart entry on London records in the UK,

So to state an artist such as DONNIE ELBERT, is suitable for inclusion, please reconsider, as he had many recordings to his name, and the fact he was an artist that had records that started the rare soul scene, if you need real evidence to not include him, in your own time down load this record, In fact I will put it on the SOULSOURCE RECORD OF THE DAY, As it is another record that I can recommend to every one on SOULSOURCE regardless to what they are into today music wise? :thumbsup: DAVE

2 OF THE BEST & STIL CHEAP :shhh:

post-13241-0-43890200-1340202648_thumb.jpost-13241-0-44910300-1340202682_thumb.j

Social source share

Guest Brooky

without thinking too hard.......johnny caswell (the worst record EVER!) Kell Osbourne Quicksand, Seeds Pushin Too Hard,and a pile of so called RnB stuff from about 1950 odd, aaarrrggghhh!

========================================================================================================================

Johnny Caswell????????.......you MUST be having a laugh surely!!!!!!

Just don't comprehend that nomination! :ohmy:

Social source share