Dave And Jordi Ripolles On 'soul People', Solar Radio This Sunday 24Th Of June

DtheD

Guest Brett F

Listening in, great to hear the totally underrated Vernon Steve Weakley the Soul Crusaders and Black Velvet, quality tunes well known by those who care about such things, fabulous stuff fellas'. Well done to 'Soul People' Solar Radio for continually featuring real soul music fans and their brilliant taste, easily by a country mile the best soul radio show on this planet.

Ps...Mark Baildon's SABU...just amazing, still scratching my head why Mark would sell such an obscure and incredible tune.

Brett F.

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Guest Brett F

Nah, it's easy to get Brett..............it got to #12 in Rhodesia back in the day LOL

:wink: ....Funny thing though Steve, is all those folks who after this morning have gone on Ebay..and chanced their arm and bought a load of third rate Latin rubbish..... :D

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Ps...Mark Baildon's SABU...just amazing, still scratching my head why Mark would sell such an obscure and incredible tune.

Brett F.

I haven't had a chance to listn yet.

Is this Soul & Blues Union on Atlantic? Was Mark Baildon the lead singer or something? :unsure:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Hi Brett,

Ian Levine had it back in the mid / late 90s, I think he may have got it from Steve Plumb originally, so probably a Steve Plumb discovery?

Anyway when Levine sold up a few years ago, it's one of the ones I got off of him in a job lot in exchange for some cash.

That's why I asked the question, as Levine also reviewed it in one of the mags at the time. The other side isn't bad either.

:thumbsup:

Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Hi Brett,

Ian Levine had it back in the mid / late 90s, I think he may have got it from Steve Plumb originally, so probably a Steve Plumb discovery?

Anyway when Levine sold up a few years ago, it's one of the ones I got off of him in a job lot in exchange for some cash.

That's why I asked the question, as Levine also reviewed it in one of the mags at the time. The other side isn't bad either.

Steve

Think Mine is a different one to yours Steve...Its called, 'What's the fuss?'

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Brett,

Steve

Hi Steve

No, yours is the rare one :lol:

T'other one charted :wicked:

And just to avoid doubt, the above is meant to be funny, or at best ironic :wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Brett F

Hi Brett,

Steve

Hi Steve, i remember Mark Baildon playing it down the Greatstone, it was instant for me, the Atlantic (Rhodesia) did look rather suspect ?, seeing as the situation in the 70's with Ian Smith etc, but never the less (Is it a legitimate Atlantic release ? or was it a good marketing ploy by the band and promoters at the time ?) i do recall Mark did ask Mr Levine on this forum about his SABU 45', and he later (Mark ) told me Ian's was a different record to his, hope Mark comes on and tells the story of where he picked it up, not my tale so not going to steal his thunder, all i know is Dave got one fabulous record.

Cheers Brett

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Good man, you need to send link reminder via Facebook Steve, i always miss the show, and i'd rather not. Cheers.

Social source share

Listening in, great to hear the totally underrated Vernon Steve Weakley the Soul Crusaders and Black Velvet, quality tunes well known by those who care about such things, fabulous stuff fellas'. Well done to 'Soul People' Solar Radio for continually featuring real soul music fans and their brilliant taste, easily by a country mile the best soul radio show on this planet.

Brett F.

Which Black Velvet was it?

Social source share

"Is It Me You Really Love" on BLACK TOP. :thumbsup:

I have one of those lying in the unloved box, what is going rate for this currently? If I remember rightly the label is a bit shiny and bubbly, I have had it for about 30 years so assume its authentic,

Social source share

I have one of those lying in the unloved box, what is going rate for this currently? If I remember rightly the label is a bit shiny and bubbly, I have had it for about 30 years so assume its authentic,

Has gone up a bit over the past couple of years. Usually fetches £40-£60 these days. Most issue copies I've seen have had bubbly labels.

Social source share

Has gone up a bit over the past couple of years. Usually fetches £40-£60 these days. Most issue copies I've seen have had bubbly labels.

To be honest I thought it was a bit more than that Seb, nearer the hundred mark. No matter, a great piece of soul produced by Del Larks' sammy Campbell.

Jordi

Social source share

To be honest I thought it was a bit more than that Seb, nearer the hundred mark. No matter, a great piece of soul produced by Del Larks' sammy Campbell.

I've never seen it sell for that much. £75 at the very most, but almost always for less than that. But that is based on the auctions I've seen, I don't know what it goes for in sales boxes in the UK.

Fantastic double-sider indeed! And thanks for a superb radio show. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I've never seen it sell for that much. £75 at the very most, but almost always for less than that. But that is based on the auctions I've seen, I don't know what it goes for in sales boxes in the UK.

Fantastic double-sider indeed! And thanks for a superb radio show. :thumbsup:

Thanks Seb. Yeah, I traded about a £100 worth for it a few years back. Some you win some you lose, I love the record though.

Social source share

• 2 months later...

Just to Lear it up S.A.B.U soul and blues union what's the fuss, I got it from of all people back door ken he posted a sound file of it I pm'd him asked him how much and bought it from him, I think there is not much chance of finding copies of either record, to be honest I find whats the fuss better than restless especially vocally as restless sounds a bit like Kevin Rowland of dexy's. I have been searching for more copies since I got that one. I think ken either got it from a charity shop or boot sale. There is talk that they did an album ? Sorry about late reply just found this post while doing you've guessed it another search for said tune. Brett sold it not long after Greatstone closed I was feeling a bit disheartened and sold a few things off, I knew Dave liked it and I thought it would get more airings from Dave.

Mark

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!