The Right To Reply

Never been a fan of closing topics just for the sake of it or because it's gone a little off the boil. So CC was discussed already, well he did the same thing again, this time elsewhere, so surely it makes sense to discuss it again, especially for the people who know the venue and people involved etc. Too many topics get closed before they've run their course.

This topic doesn't seem to have a course though Pete that is my argument. It isn't even going round in circles, it just seems to be off topic and what has happened in the past when asking for requests the last page or so. I'm not one for closing topics, I've closed very few but this one has to get back on whatever course it was on and less of the off topic.

Yes he has done the same thing again, elsewhere and the outcome is no different is it. No other fresh opinion has been entered for debate.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes he has done the same thing again, elsewhere and the outcome is no different is it. No other fresh opinion has been entered for debate.

I must be in a minority because I like to hear what people's opinions of the guy playing off cd's are. Vinyl records are the fundamental base starting point for the entire Northern Soul scene in my opinion, without them there would never have been a scene and without them there won't be one. Again, in my opinion. One of the questions that never seems to get answered is "why do some dj's get a free pass to dj off cd's when others would be crucified for doing the same thing?"

Yes we've had the question before, I know...

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I must be in a minority because I like to hear what people's opinions of the guy playing off cd's are. Vinyl records are the fundamental base starting point for the entire Northern Soul scene in my opinion, without them there would never have been a scene and without them there won't be one. Again, in my opinion. One of the questions that never seems to get answered is "why do some dj's get a free pass to dj off cd's when others would be crucified for doing the same thing?"

Pete, someone has, it seems, asked a well known Dj to play a set of which format doesn't matter, I doubt I will ever be offered the same deal (not that I would necessarily want it) and that's it, sometimes they want the music, other times they just want the geezer that's playing it, not saying that's right but it's how it is,

Social source share

It's a local soul night, lets say for the sake of argument that it attracts 200 people, what proportion of those 200 actually want to know if it's an OVO event or not. I'd suspect the number to be quite small, so why would a promoter shoot him or herself in the foot by appeasing a minority? Just trying to get some perspective on what's basically been 3 topics about the same subject in the last couple of months :thumbsup:

I would personally prefer to get 100 people at my night that do care, rather than 200 who Don't

It's not all about money is it ?

Edited by Steve A
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

I don't disagree Pete but very few opinions about the question of Colin playing CD's at a venue are forthcoming by the looks of it.

Me I'm past caring. Let them get on with it. It doesn't affect me or my night out. I sometimes go out to venues that play boots etc but it is purely a social, pint at the end of the week affair with some Northern being played.

As long as the event and what the likes of Colin will be playing are clearly advertised it shouldn't be a problem. Venues of every types about to suit the tastes and morals/ethics of everyone.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Yeah fair shout it wasnt a great night mark, mind you when your 18 you tend to remember what the man spinning the discs says especially if he cuts you dead :hatsoff2: lol

Well it may be over twenty years too late pal but please if I was off with you then consider this a public big sorry lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest rasfoz

Well it may be over twenty years too late pal but please if I was off with you then consider this a public big sorry lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hey mark I wasnt looking for a sorry at all, I found it funny when you made the inital post it did make me laugh , i understand what you was saying, & yeah it can be shit somewhere you dont wanna be & someone comes & asks a stupid question no worries.

ATB

Kevin

Social source share

Oh well must have been an off night as I remember the couple of allnighters I did there being pretty piss poor events,on a more serious note I may have cut people short but can honestly say I was never directly rude to people lol must say you have a good memory I can't remember what I did last week let alone overy twenty five years ago lol

You would be surprised Mark, there's someone very well known and on here in fact who was rude to me under similar circumstances in the 80's, I'm amazed he hasn't twigged why every time he asks me for a record it's already been sold, people tend to remember things like that. I can also remember Tommy Cockburn making Ian Levine give him a public apology for being extremely rude to him when he asked for a record during his only ever trip to the Mecca in 1975. And he did, in front of hundreds of people at The Rocket. Of course Ian didn't have the faintest idea what Tommy was on about or remember the incident but Tommy never forgot it.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

The original post was interesting and it should have stuck to the them of "Previous Legend Djs doing NS nights with CDs/ Reisuues /Boots etc" For me the person has lost credibility when they have sold their collection on which they built up their reputation to then jump back on the bandwagon with a different set of tools. I did a similar thread about Keb Darge 2 or 3 years ago and got slated for it! I was told I would end up with egg on my face but here we are having a debate about another ex legend of the Northern soul scene. So the question is why do they do it? It reminds me of the film of a bounty hunter taking his capture back to collect the bail bond money and a conversation on the train is a battle of Denials! Maybe Colin (Allegedly) is going through Denial!

They do it for the money and the promoters get back names from the past to swell numbers which means more money for them, there was a time when these old djs would of gone mental knowing that some wannabe was playing off of boots when they had their collections I would imagine. Well that's what I thinks anyway lol

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

So was the other djs on the night playing OVO if so what was there thoughts on sharing the decks with a dj from the past playing off CDs

Needs to be said too and that's all the bullshit a lot of djs say about playing boots at venues but when offered a spot at a boot playing venue they jump at the chance lol

Social source share

The original post was interesting and it should have stuck to the them of "Previous Legend Djs doing NS nights with CDs/ Reisuues /Boots etc" For me the person has lost credibility when they have sold their collection on which they built up their reputation to then jump back on the bandwagon with a different set of tools. I did a similar thread about Keb Darge 2 or 3 years ago and got slated for it! I was told I would end up with egg on my face but here we are having a debate about another ex legend of the Northern soul scene. So the question is why do they do it? It reminds me of the film of a bounty hunter taking his capture back to collect the bail bond money and a conversation on the train is a battle of Denials! Maybe Colin (Allegedly) is going through Denial!

They do it for the money and the promoters get back names from the past to swell numbers which means more money for them, there was a time when these old djs would of gone mental knowing that some wannabe was playing off of boots when they had their collections I would imagine. Well that's what I thinks anyway lol

Bearsy, Sorry mate and understand where you are coming from, but you are still not getting it.:no:

For 90% of the "scene" it's all about going out, having a larf, chat to your mates, booze, dance to familiar music, then go home. And that's it - end. They want nothing else from the soul scene, except maybe some CDs to play in the car from time to time. For a promotor sure CC is a big name who'll pull people in. I mean if they put you or me on in Newcastle, hardly anyone would turn up.

These 90% make up the backbone of soul nights, weekenders etc. in the UK whether you or I like it or not.

Then there's the other 10% who are loosely a mix of record collectors, people who want to hear something different mixed in, OVO folk who still like the founding perinciples, and some DJs who are constantly looking for something new to play. Within that 10%, as Jocko says there are a lot of 'wannabees' who think by playing some poor quality old B sides and soul pack terrors they're "cutting edge".

"Underplayed"? Some records are underplayed for a reason...:yes:

And incidentally the crossover and 70s "scene" has become even worse than the 60s scene in that regard. You can almost certainly count people who are digging beyond their old classics on two hands there.

Sorry mate, but this parrot is dead, and it's not going to change.

but when offered a spot at a boot playing venue they jump at the chance lol

I don't know about jump at the chance but we've all probably ended up there on the odd occasion.....Have done a few gigs in the past which I assumed were OVO only to find they were only part OVO and 'Odd Job' has come on and played a few boots. :ohmy:

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Looks like the scene is in the process of splitting in two. As has been said the vast majority do not care if it's OVO or boots (or even worse cds) as all they want is to go out for a few drinks and have a laugh, probably getting pissed by the end of the night too !!! That's ok, but it's not the true ethos of the scene and never was as far as I am concerned. Let them get on with their thing, we should forget about them anyway. After all who wants a load of pissheads turning up at a niter requestin the snake or frank wilson lol.

The key thing to me tho is that those of us who are really serious about the scene and want to hear the rare/underplayed/"new discoveries" need to forget about the old die hards and just do what we do best. Seek out the great venues and suport them so that the scene can continue to florish. While there are some brill nites in Manchester, Leeds and Bradford bringing in younger newer blood (vital to the scene IMHO), we have lost BIDDS and Lifeline had to cancel next weekend because of an overcrowded calendar of events. Many of the younger folk do not travel, perhaps they're put off by the images of the oldies scene and the infighting. Yet if the scene is gonna florish we need to encourage them to travel and get involved. Surely now is the time to just break away from the "old" NS scene and take the whole thing more underground again if we are not too lose more great venues and events along the way. At the end of the day it's down to us to support the rare events....otherwise we'll be moaning when they're gone !!!

Just a few thoughts, Sallie

Edited by SallieJane
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

All well and good but do we really want a scene without oldies? I certainly don't! They are all oldies at the end of the day and just because you / me / the person next to us may know them it doesn't necessarily follow that everyone does.

Yes I am sure that's right Joan and a lot of people would want a bit of both. We've been saying for ages you can't just play newies allnight. People need some familiarity as well. Flip side of the coin, as long as you wed yourself to the oldies part of the scene, then these debates will rage with increasing futiliy and irrelevance. It's like watching water going down a bath plughole. ATB Steve

Social source share

All well and good but do we really want a scene without oldies? I certainly don't! They are all oldies at the end of the day and just because you / me / the person next to us may know them it doesn't necessarily follow that everyone does. Until every single person knows every single record it is impossible to say something is truly unknown surely?

People embark and alight this soul journey at different stages, there is no right or wrong here (apart from ovo of course lol)

Agree Joan...I don't want a scene without oldies either, after all that's what it's based on. One of my fav allniters is Burnley and the core of that is underplayed. Was just really meaning the Top 100 that keep getting trotted out each week, and probably pressings as well lol.

Social source share

Yes I am sure that's right Joan and a lot of people would want a bit of both. We've been saying for ages you can't just play newies allnight. People need some familiarity as well. Flip side of the coin, as long as you wed yourself to the oldies part of the scene, then these debates will rage with increasing futiliy and irrelevance. It's like watching water going down a bath plughole. ATB Steve

Our side is the only side that seems bothered. Go figure! :lol:

I've always said you can't argue with people that aren't as passionate as you are or feel as strongly as you do, there's no way you can win. Like you say, it will go on ... and on ... and on ... and on ...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I cant believe we all continue to debate a subject, that actually doesnt & shoudnt need discussion...it just is....your either right or wrong, could you imagine having this discussion 15 years ago, it would have been a relative non starter....doesnt that tell us all something.......the debate for not playing from original format of release...generally comes from folk who dont understsnd, dont care or have a vested interest.

Russ

Spot on Russ. What a FXXXXXG mess we are in. A discussion regarding if it right or wrong to play pressings. This would have never been broached in the day, because every one knew the answer. Never never never. Its was an unwritten rule. No discussion was necessary. So sad weve come to this. The things we all held dear are being ripped up and trashed, and iam afraid this is by the majority.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

All well and good but do we really want a scene without oldies? I certainly don't! They are all oldies at the end of the day and just because you / me / the person next to us may know them it doesn't necessarily follow that everyone does. Until every single person knows every single record it is impossible to say something is truly unknown surely?

People embark and alight this soul journey at different stages, there is no right or wrong here (apart from ovo of course lol)

I wouldn't argue with that Joan and it never ceases to amaze me how many records seem obvious to me yet people don't know them and vice versa. That's the beauty of it all.............or at least should be. But a lot of the comments on this thread make note of an increasing intolerance (always been there but seems to be getting worse) from 'hardcore oldies diehards' who will not tolerate anything outside of the narrow view of what they regard as the standards, the instantly recognisable and safe. Strange thing is, many of these people that I've observed (admittedly down south only in recent years) appear to be folk that may well have frequented Wigan and the like in the 70s and may well have not had a detailed interest in the scene since, but they seem to count a lot of Stafford or later 'classics' of the last 15/20 years in there too. Prime examples would be Jackie Wilson 'Because Of You' and Ruby Andrews 'Just Loving You' (I know not Stafford as such and both well known for a long time before, but have become 'standards' within the last 20 years). It is this reluctance to acknowledge (a) why they liked the scene in the first place (though I do wonder how many actually truly did), i.e. because it was different, vibrant and exciting; or, (b) that records they might not personally know are actually 'classics' by most reasonable definitions; or, © that others in the room may have travelled a lot further to hear a particular DJ and their less well-known stuff and that pressurising that DJ into complying with their narrow view of things is a form of selfish facism. And that latter point might be more symptomatic of a wider problem of intolerance and inflexibility in society and the very reason most of us first enjoyed the Northern/Rare Soul scene in the first place!

Off my soapbox now and back to work. I thank you.

Social source share

Spot on Russ. What a FXXXXXG mess we are in. A discussion regarding if it right or wrong to play pressings. This would have never been broached in the day, because every one knew the answer. Never never never. Its was an unwritten rule. No discussion was necessary.

Hi Harry, I can well remmeber going to local clubs as a teenager and boots of the latest big things being played. Not condoning it, but it did happen back in the day. Only difference was I suppose they were new big things (off the Colin Bee list / Selecta etc), rather than old big thinks, if that makes sense. :thumbsup:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

I wouldn't argue with that Joan and it never ceases to amaze me how many records seem obvious to me yet people don't know them and vice versa. That's the beauty of it all.............or at least should be. But a lot of the comments on this thread make note of an increasing intolerance (always been there but seems to be getting worse) from 'hardcore oldies diehards' who will not tolerate anything outside of the narrow view of what they regard as the standards, the instantly recognisable and safe. Strange thing is, many of these people that I've observed (admittedly down south only in recent years) appear to be folk that may well have frequented Wigan and the like in the 70s and may well have not had a detailed interest in the scene since, but they seem to count a lot of Stafford or later 'classics' of the last 15/20 years in there too. Prime examples would be Jackie Wilson 'Because Of You' and Ruby Andrews 'Just Loving You' (I know not Stafford as such and both well known for a long time before, but have become 'standards' within the last 20 years). It is this reluctance to acknowledge (a) why they liked the scene in the first place (though I do wonder how many actually truly did), i.e. because it was different, vibrant and exciting; or, (b) that records they might not personally know are actually 'classics' by most reasonable definitions; or, © that others in the room may have travelled a lot further to hear a particular DJ and their less well-known stuff and that pressurising that DJ into complying with their narrow view of things is a form of selfish facism. And that latter point might be more symptomatic of a wider problem of intolerance and inflexibility in society and the very reason most of us first enjoyed the Northern/Rare Soul scene in the first place!

I like this post very much.....seems to some up exactly how the overwhelming majority (probably 95%) of people on the South Coast think about our Soul in the South Allniters in Bournemouth. Personally I've had loads of complaints about what gets played at our events & to me they are just fairly well known Allniter records with some lesser knowns played as well... I can't be believe that some people on the general NS scene down here actually believe that the dj's we get are playing anything different than Allniter records....although the dj's play their records on a regular basis at Allniters throughout the country ??
Social source share

Great post by the way Mark !!!
Social source share

Hi Harry, I can well remmeber going to local clubs as a teenager and boots of the latest big things being played. Not condoning it, but it did happen back in the day. Only difference was I suppose they were new big things (off the Colin Bee list / Selecta etc), rather than old big thinks, if that makes sense. :thumbsup:

Actually, the thing was, once a "Big" record had been pressed it was dropped very quickly and replaced by the next "Big" thing.

In a funny kinda way the evil pressers kept the scene moving forwards.

Tony

Social source share

Strange thing is, many of these people that I've observed (admittedly down south only in recent years) appear to be folk that may well have frequented Wigan and the like in the 70s and may well have not had a detailed interest in the scene since, but they seem to count a lot of Stafford or later 'classics' of the last 15/20 years in there too. Prime examples would be Jackie Wilson 'Because Of You' and Ruby Andrews 'Just Loving You' (I know not Stafford as such and both well known for a long time before, but have become 'standards' within the last 20 years).

Hi Mark, there's another dimension both Jackie Wilson and Ruby Andrews (I am sick to death of them by the way) are both very 'easy on the ear' and catchy / black pop records, a bit like Unique Blend say. Contrast that with another Stafford record - Ree Flores "Listen to my heart" -where (a bit similar to what Glyn T said I think) I was once asked to "take it off" the turntable and "play some northern" instead.

I do think it's a real challenge for guys in the far south to get the balance right, as you've got a relatively small community who have to be happy. :thumbsup:

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Empty Bottles, Different Strokes & many other clubs around Manchester, Leeds etc are run & attended by young people...also Go Go Children in Bristol, many also have a great taste in music. Better then most of the silly ol duffers that you are refering too lol

Social source share

Also London has a fairly young scene in general these days....good to see too !!! I know loads of young lads & girls involved in the Rare/Underplayed/Funk Edged side of things, very knowledgable too many of em......

Social source share

cheers rod...'run' by young people :wink: ...dont get called young very often any more...but yes down here in bristol we do get more than the average amount of youngsters at soul nites....helps obviously being in a big city,with universities and being in reasonably central clubs....but most dont seem to mind dancing alongside people that are as old as their parents...maybe its a bristol thing as both reggae and dance music clubs have people of all ages out all night!....we arent getting many teens but certainly 20s/30s...

dean

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Bearsy, Sorry mate and understand where you are coming from, but you are still not getting it.:no:

For 90% of the "scene" it's all about going out, having a larf, chat to your mates, booze, dance to familiar music, then go home. And that's it - end. They want nothing else from the soul scene, except maybe some CDs to play in the car from time to time. For a promotor sure CC is a big name who'll pull people in. I mean if they put you or me on in Newcastle, hardly anyone would turn up.

These 90% make up the backbone of soul nights, weekenders etc. in the UK whether you or I like it or not.

Then there's the other 10% who are loosely a mix of record collectors, people who want to hear something different mixed in, OVO folk who still like the founding perinciples, and some DJs who are constantly looking for something new to play. Within that 10%, as Jocko says there are a lot of 'wannabees' who think by playing some poor quality old B sides and soul pack terrors they're "cutting edge".

"Underplayed"? Some records are underplayed for a reason...:yes:

And incidentally the crossover and 70s "scene" has become even worse than the 60s scene in that regard. You can almost certainly count people who are digging beyond their old classics on two hands there.

Sorry mate, but this parrot is dead, and it's not going to change.

I don't know about jump at the chance but we've all probably ended up there on the odd occasion.....Have done a few gigs in the past which I assumed were OVO only to find they were only part OVO and 'Odd Job' has come on and played a few boots. :ohmy:

Steve I do get it as only the bottom part of that post was mine i was quoting the top bit lol.

Yeah many have djd at nights where boots are played when not realising but I said many DO dj at venues they know that plays boots which is the difference, too many desperate to dj djs will compromise there pc beliefs for a dj spot that's a fact ....

Social source share

Also London has a fairly young scene in general these days....good to see too !!! I know loads of young lads & girls involved in the Rare/Underplayed/Funk Edged side of things, very knowledgable too many of em......

London and the south East has loads of clubs

Solid Hit Soul-Uptempo sixties newies

Va Va Voom-Crossover and seventies

Crystal Palace Soul-Seventies x over and funk edged

Boogalo Soul-Mod style and latin

100 Club-A mix of everything

ElPaso-Underplayed sixties

X Ray Soul-A mix of everything but no seventies

Soul On The Square-Southern oldies

Soulnites Alldayers (Boston Arms)-Northern Soul oldies

Filthy Mcnastys alldayers-Dont know but i think its xover.

At my club (Southend) we get about 200 in and do it 3 times a year....and at the last one gave a cd away of underplayed sounds so hopefully next time people will have a bit of familiarity with the unknown.All of the above to my knowledge are mosty ovo.My club is ovo unless we have Russ on....no cd's but a mix of originals and reissues...but he draws a crowd.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

My club is ovo unless we have Russ on....no cd's but a mix of originals and reissues...but he draws a crowd.

And that brings us nicely full circle....back to the beginning of this thread. Russ - a man who singlehandedly lives off the reputation of the Casino, always had dodgy taste in my opinion, and seemingly has no records left worth speaking of....and yet despite all this....he succeeds in drawing a crowd.....in Southend of all places. He also seemingly draws a crowd wherever else he plays.

I rest my case.

Two scenes, so why can't we let those that just want a party and don't care about anything else get on with enjoying their nights out on the town, clapping in unison to Frank Wilson and other "Casino Classics".

:thumbsup:

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Mark, there's another dimension both Jackie Wilson and Ruby Andrews (I am sick to death of them by the way) are both very 'easy on the ear' and catchy / black pop records, a bit like Unique Blend say. Contrast that with another Stafford record - Ree Flores "Listen to my heart" -where (a bit similar to what Glyn T said I think) I was once asked to "take it off" the turntable and "play some northern" instead.

I do think it's a real challenge for guys in the far south to get the balance right, as you've got a relatively small community who have to be happy. :thumbsup:

Spot on as well Steve. As you well know, being one of the DJs on the night, the crowd at Weston Super Mare on the Saturday of the Jubilee weekender certainly reflected this type of 'mood'.

Whilst on the subject of Weston, another aspect of what is, to my mind at least, unacceptable in DJ terms is this nonsense of taking a classic Northern track and superimposing some unnecessary, banal and trite alternative lyric and vocal onto it - I refer here to the abomination that has been done to Luther Ingram. I would ask "why?", but I sadly know the answer, so no point in bothering to ask. Who buys this crap? What I would also like to know is why do people put up with this type of rubbish? They wear their 'Keep The Faith' paraphenalia and then do the exact opposite and trample all over the faith they so sanctimoniously advertise. Maybe that is not directly relevant to this topic thread, but it certainly is questionable DJing to my mind. As a paying and travelling punter that night (door tax for 2, 120 mile round trip from Cardiff plus £6 bridge toll), that sort of thing makes me feel short changed. I guess I should storm up to the decks and aggressively demand that such rubbish is taken off and "some Northern played" instead!! :g: (I should stress, you Steve, Keith Money and Ginger played varied sets with a good nod to the mix of crowd that night)

Social source share

Yes I agree on these funny versions. I first heard this with the Carstairs supposedly doing "Stick by me baby", a few years ago awful, awful awful. And about as likely as England "winning on penalties". Now there's a limp version of "I'm gone" doing the rounds. Like you Mark, I don't get it.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

And that brings us nicely full circle....back to the beginning of this thread. Russ - a man who singlehandedly lives off the reputation of the Casino, always had dodgy taste in my opinion, and seemingly has no records left worth speaking of....and yet despite all this....he succeeds in drawing a crowd.....in Southend of all places. He also seemingly draws a crowd wherever else he plays.

I rest my case.

Two scenes, so why can't we let those that just want a party and don't care about anything else get on with enjoying their nights out on the town, clapping in unison to Frank Wilson and other "Casino Classics".

Draws a crowd = ££££££££s.

Social source share

I rest my case.

Oh and before Russ plays and after we play this sort of stuff after everyone has had their casino classics

Barbara Cooper-whats one more tear

star treks-gonna need magic

eula cooper-standing by love

Masters-I Need Your love

Betty lloyd-im catching on

billy bass-im coming to

corletts-im getting tired

bob brady-goodbye baby

Jimmy armstrong-i wont believe it

Kenny Carlton-Lost And Found

Two People-Stop leave My Heart alone

Vigon-The spoiler

Rock Candy-Alone with no love

Leon peterson-my bag

webs-give in

Rick Shepard-Can We Share it

Mickey laney-im gonna walk

All on ovo.....confused??

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Oh and before Russ plays and after we play this sort of stuff after everyone has had their casino classics

Barbara Cooper-whats one more tear

star treks-gonna need magic

eula cooper-standing by love

Masters-I Need Your love

Betty lloyd-im catching on

billy bass-im coming to

corletts-im getting tired

bob brady-goodbye baby

Jimmy armstrong-i wont believe it

Kenny Carlton-Lost And Found

Two People-Stop leave My Heart alone

Vigon-The spoiler

Rock Candy-Alone with no love

Leon peterson-my bag

webs-give in

Rick Shepard-Can We Share it

Mickey laney-im gonna walk

All on ovo.....confused??

No not confused at all Wiggy, these are pretty much all oldies. Two People has been on a big revival for a while now, great tune, but am afraid I won't be popping over to Southend for a night out. Sorry. :thumbsup:

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

No not confused at all Wiggy, these are pretty much all oldies. Two People has been on a big revival for a while now, great tune, but am afraid I won't be popping over to Southend for a night out. Sorry. :thumbsup:

Shame....no clapping in unison for you then

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Probably misunderstood but I think he was saying that they are oldies, except they're pretty good and not played out ones in the main - I'd certainly like to listen to stuff like this.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Here's a few on the tunes played at Soul in the South Allniter on Sat 9th June...Attendance 50-60 in a 120 approx capacity.

Grey Imprint - Do You Get The Message

Sonny Rhodes - You Better Stop

Henry Moore - You Really Grab Me

Roy Redmond - Ain't That Terrible

Oliver Joy - Keep Love Growing

Markus Kelly - Pushing To The Top

Clark Bridges - Foxy

Frederick Knight - Steppin Down

Tommy Rodgers - Pass The Word

Irene & The Scots - Stuck On My Baby

Waymond Hill - What Will Tomorrow Bring

Billy Gee - Name Of The Bag

Eddie Holman - She's Wanted

Martha Bass - Since I've Been Born Again

Jimmie Moore - Church Street Sally

Johnnie Mae Matthews - Two Sided Thing

Robert Parker - Let's Go Baby

Eugene Jefferson - Pretty Girl Dressed In Brown

Jamo Thomas - Stop The Baby

Sugar Pie DeSanto - Soulful Dress

Staple Singers - Power Of Love

Wess & The Airedales - Crazy

Leo McCorkle - On Top Of The World

The Ethics - From Your Heart

Josephine Taylor - I'm Gone

Larry Hale - I Love You

Winfield Parker - Mr Clean

Betty Harris - Mean Man

Eddie Floyd - People Get It Together

Wendel Weston - Nag On Me

Hot Ice Company - You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet

Al Johnson - You Got To Make It Yourself

These records were played to 50-60 people at an Allniter

on the South Coast with some of the leading Dj's in the Country.

The whole Southern region & only 50-60 people there....UNBELIEVABLE but TRUE !!!!!!!

Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

Just my tuppence worth:

If I'd never bought a boot, I would never have had anything to play on me old fella's stereogram & probably never gotten so hooked. Easy to say OVO now, but I'm tempted to think that most saying that never experienced the reality of being 15, skint & yet addicted. Which leads me to:

A very personable young fella ( late 20s/30 ish & good dancer) I met recently at a local gig told me he thought NS had started as a proper working class thing. Like I told him, that was very definitely not the case at most venues. The older lads in the early 70s had money coz they worked, but if you were still in school, then you relied on the lad who had a car, petrol money, money for sounds & gear, and parents who indulged all this.

No bloody way did the scene evolve exclusively as a working class one, as proud as I am to remain firmly in that set.

So think on: there is probably more TRUE NS heritage in a boot than in an original.

Social source share

Here's a few on the tunes played at Soul in the South Allniter on Sat 9th June...Attendance 50-60 in a 120 approx capacity.

Grey Imprint - Do You Get The Message

Sonny Rhodes - You Better Stop

Henry Moore - You Really Grab Me

Roy Redmond - Ain't That Terrible

Oliver Joy - Keep Love Growing

Markus Kelly - Pushing To The Top

Clark Bridges - Foxy

Frederick Knight - Steppin Down

Tommy Rodgers - Pass The Word

Irene & The Scots - Stuck On My Baby

Waymond Hill - What Will Tomorrow Bring

Billy Gee - Name Of The Bag

Eddie Holman - She's Wanted

Martha Bass - Since I've Been Born Again

Jimmie Moore - Church Street Sally

Johnnie Mae Matthews - Two Sided Thing

Robert Parker - Let's Go Baby

Eugene Jefferson - Pretty Girl Dressed In Brown

Jamo Thomas - Stop The Baby

Sugar Pie DeSanto - Soulful Dress

Staple Singers - Power Of Love

Wess & The Airedales - Crazy

Leo McCorkle - On Top Of The World

The Ethics - From Your Heart

Josephine Taylor - I'm Gone

Larry Hale - I Love You

Winfield Parker - Mr Clean

Betty Harris - Mean Man

Eddie Floyd - People Get It Together

Wendel Weston - Nag On Me

Hot Ice Company - You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet

Al Johnson - You Got To Make It Yourself

These records were played to 50-60 people at an Allniter

on the South Coast with some of the leading Dj's in the Country.

The whole Southern region & only 50-60 people there....UNBELIEVABLE but TRUE !!!!!!!

Tempted ??? Edited by rodw
Social source share

Well, I lost the plot after reading a good few posts, however my take on 'Modern Soul' is that most of it sucks. Were at last Soul Bowl do in Rushden, I must be a troglodite, OK, Lens Den got good reviews, AND I know Stevie P extremeley well, but with the greatest respect I stayed out of Lens Den......why, 'cause I (personal opinion only) thought the tunes were shite AND I could not dance to them,m the tunes in the main room were excellent........kick me in the bollocks if you must, but at 63 I could'nt give a toss.

Bottom Line.....everyone to their own tastes

AND I have no problem withy CD's, great format, beats getting up, domestically, every 2 minutes to put another single on.

Edited by ZootSuit
Social source share

Well, I lost the plot after reading a good few posts, however my take on 'Modern Soul' is that most of it sucks. Were at last Soul Bowl do in Rushden, I must be a troglodite, OK, Lens Den got good reviews, AND I know Stevie P extremeley well, but with the greatest respect I stayed out of Lens Den......why, 'cause I (personal opinion only) thought the tunes were shite AND I could not dance to them,m the tunes in the main room were excellent........kick me in the bollocks if you must, but at 63 I could'nt give a toss.

Bottom Line.....everyone to their own tastes

AND I have no problem withy CD's, great format, beats getting up, domestically, every 2 minutes to put another single on.

After five laborious, confusing and often nonsensical pages, this one sentence made it all worthwhile;

"kick me in the bollocks if you must, but at 63 I could'nt give a toss"

Wonderful stuff!

Thank you.

Sean

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!