Steve G profile photo

Low Rider Scene

Audio Lists Steve G

Posted

With discussion on the beach scene, time to revisit this one methinks (last time was 2009).

Some great stuff these folk like, judging by what they post on youtube etc.

Anyone know do they have venues or is it just listening music?

Are there local radio shows featuring this stuff in LA for example?

Why do these tough guys take time out from shooting each other to dig old soul music?

How did this scene start?

I am sure some of our US contributors can provide some background.....:yes:

Steve

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

There was a book I helped distribute over here about 10 years ago all about this scene Steve, unfortunately muggins here forgot to keep a copy for himself, someone will know though.

soul source url
Posted

I wonder if the Low Riders ponder our existence? Imagine telling them about the Jim Wray Lounge at Yarmouth!

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

The company that's been at the forefront of this for the last 20 years is Thump records from L.A. Some interesting stuff buried away on some of their comps, especially on their Oldies comps:-

http://www.thumprecords.com/Oldies.html#oldies

I went to a couple of parties in the mid 90's and was blown away by some of the tunes these badass gangsters were listening to. I didn't hang around too long though as there's a lot of difference between a party in South Central and the Jim Wray lounge at Yarmouth! :lol:

Ian D :D

soul source url
Posted

The folk on that scene, that I've encountered, people such as Tommy Siqueiro, Arlene Soulera 5150, Ruben Molina, Ian Pellegrin, Steven Soulero etc. are all very much aware of our 'UK' scene. These are serious collectors who buy, sell and trade with many of us on a regular basis. They've a big event this weekend, a 'show' in Chicago featuring the Southern Soul Spinners which has all the hallmarks of being the US equivalent of Soul Essence / The Jim Wray Lounge, Anthony.

The music they collect we might classify as Sweet & Deep and Group Soul - normally extremely rare 45's.

Most I've dealt with have fabulous taste in music.

Were it not for Just Soul this weekend, I know where I'd like to be :)

:thumbsup:

Sean

soul source url
Posted

A great source of info is:

The Old Barrio Guide to Low Rider Music by Ruben Molina

It's a full color glossy book that gives a detailed account of the rise of the Chicano-American culture that bred the sound. Well worth buying. Ruben is a great bloke who has a passion for it all. Here's a link to his site:

http://www.chicanosoul.com/

Regards,

Dave

soul source url
Posted

A great source of info is:

It's a full color glossy book that gives a detailed account of the rise of the Chicano-American culture that bred the sound. Well worth buying. Ruben is a great bloke who has a passion for it all. Here's a link to his site:

http://www.chicanosoul.com/

Regards,

Dave

Thats the one.

soul source url
Posted

The company that's been at the forefront of this for the last 20 years is Thump records from L.A. Some interesting stuff buried away on some of their comps, especially on their Oldies comps:-

http://www.thumpreco...ies.html#oldies

I went to a couple of parties in the mid 90's and was blown away by some of the tunes these badass gangsters were listening to. I didn't hang around too long though as there's a lot of difference between a party in South Central and the Jim Wray lounge at Yarmouth! :lol:

Ian D :D

Thump records and those CDs are far from the forefront of the scene. The forefront of the scene involves many different series of (bootleg) CDs with rarer and rarer cuts on them. I never understand why people love to call it the "lowrider scene" so much, but I think the new breed of collectors (my age) at least disassociate themselves from the older collectors who want the same played out oldies (sound familiar?), which to some extent separates them from car shows (although I'm pretty sure car shows are still part of the culture).

Radio shows do play a big part in the scene, lots of the shows are dedications / requests ...

The newer collectors are also more open minded about sound / tempo and tend to get into some of the same things that the UK "rare soul" scene Djs get into. Also, there is more continuity between other US sweet soul collectors in other cities and the people in California.

Also, the California collectors are sort of divided into two camps, the LA-area collectors ("southern souleros") and the collectors around the San Jose area ("northern souleros").

soul source url
Posted (edited)

I guested at the last Southern Soulspinners event, in West Covina.....those cats really know their stuff, and it was a joy to get to spin my own batch of obscurities to such a great response!

George, Rueben, Arlene, Rene & Jake are the residents behind the Soulspinners events, and they get carefully selected guests to share the music with their big following. I'd say they average around 400 an event and everyone is either dancing, singing along or talking shop about their new discoveries.

I haven't ventured up the coast yet to hang out with the Northern Souleros, but I'd love to do that and hook up with Ruben V......it's a breath of fresh air to someone like me that likes hearing and discovering obscure, underplayed soul and not just re-hashing the tried and trusted classics.

Great events well worth supporting and if anyone's on the west coast, hit me up and we'll book a table ;)

Edited by Greg Belson

soul source url
Posted

I haven't ventured up the coast yet to hang out with the Northern Souleros, but I'd love to do that and hook up with Ruben V......it's a breath of fresh air to someone like me that likes hearing and discovering obscure, underplayed soul and not just re-hashing the tried and trusted classics.

FYI, although he's a northern soulero, Ruben V doesn't currently live in cali, he lives on the other side of the US. Definitely one of the most knowledgeable collectors on the scene imo.

soul source url
Posted (edited)

FYI, although he's a northern soulero, Ruben V doesn't currently live in cali, he lives on the other side of the US. Definitely one of the most knowledgeable collectors on the scene imo.

I didn't know that Ruben was no longer up North.....cheers for that, Bob. Very knowledgeable fellow!

Edited by Greg Belson

soul source url
Posted

I have to agree with bob. Although the music does go with the lowrider scene because some of them are collectors and into their cars, they also prefer to bump this music in their cars. I cam remember cruisimg in san jose and all u would hear is oldies. Dedications and requests on oldies shows was a way to express feelings towards ur man or woman, by the name of the song. By

Growing up in salinas, california I seen this first hand and on the radio. I later became a dj and collecor where I take dedications and requests first hand and undetstand whats goin on.

soul source url
Posted

great thread, I've been trtying to find the title of that book for an age. Any boogaloo played as 'lowrider oldies'?

soul source url
Posted

i myself can thank the lowriders on the west coast for reawakening my then flagging interest,about 5 years ago i started trawling you tube to see if there was much in the way of soul music posted up, apart from a few uk posters i kept coming across these strange posts from california of what seemed like the slower flips to our northen standards, sweet soul sounds or just plain ballads, all these posts came complete with aztec/chicano/lowrider iconography. i really started to enjoy listening to these posts and it wasnt long before id joined in making comments and rating their sounds etc,and getting in contact with the posters,the language they used to describe their posts also caught my eye, rola or rolita for record or song,firme (pronounced feer-may) basically shit hot, soulero (male collector) and soulera (female), next thing i know im sourcing records for soulera 5150 (arlene), if youve been wondering why records like the webs, give in has gone from £10 to £60 over the last couple of years you have these guys to thank, the flip its so hard to break a habit, which is a monster over there and everyone wants to own it, like the previous posters have said these fellas know a helluva lot about soul music, i had the pleasure of also going to the west covina do in la in march 2011, i stayed with arlene and her family and was made most welcome, met up with all the southern soul spinners crew and was more than impressed, im still in regular contact and it wont be long before im back there again, ill also be hooking up with the san jo northern souleros at one of their souleros balls for sure,my shady side of town tee shirt is still my pride n joy, courtesy of sleeps ( ruben v )

soul source url
Posted

The folk on that scene, that I've encountered, people such as Tommy Siqueiro, Arlene Soulera 5150, Ruben Molina, Ian Pellegrin, Steven Soulero etc. are all very much aware of our 'UK' scene. These are serious collectors who buy, sell and trade with many of us on a regular basis. They've a big event this weekend, a 'show' in Chicago featuring the Southern Soul Spinners which has all the hallmarks of being the US equivalent of Soul Essence / The Jim Wray Lounge, Anthony.

The music they collect we might classify as Sweet & Deep and Group Soul - normally extremely rare 45's.

Most I've dealt with have fabulous taste in music.

Were it not for Just Soul this weekend, I know where I'd like to be :)

Sean

my perception of this scene is its mostly based around the sweeter tracks with only the odd deep tracks.

its a very good thing IMO a soul scene can exist today that is mainly a younger knowledable crowd.

I'm sure I must have exchanged e-mails and bought sold records with some of these people.

and i'm guessing the drug of choice on that scene would be skunk ...... :wicked:

soul source url
Posted

my perception of this scene is its mostly based around the sweeter tracks with only the odd deep tracks.

its a very good thing IMO a soul scene can exist today that is mainly a younger knowledable crowd.

I'm sure I must have exchanged e-mails and bought sold records with some of these people.

and i'm guessing the drug of choice on that scene would be skunk ...... :wicked:

Yep, mainly Sweet Dylan, then again the likes of Bobby Wade 'Four Walls And one Window' would be right in the groove and they don't get much deeper.

Here's a link to Arlene's Soul Station http://www.live365.com/stations/souleralene5150?play=1

Often have it on in the background while working.

Sean

soul source url
Posted

This one literally blew the roof of the place at the last Soulspinners gig..........huge record.

soul source url
Posted

This one literally blew the roof of the place at the last Soulspinners gig..........huge record.

[media=]

Firme rolita!! :thumbsup:

soul source url
Posted

explosions, fog horns sounds more like a westwood show...

soul source url
Posted

[media=]

Awesome ! The Step by step album on Brunswick is awesome with at least 5 great tunes !!!

soul source url
Posted

Firme rolita!! :thumbsup:

simon

soul source url
Posted

[media=]

hi greg i think arlene was waiting for you to come back from london with a biggie for her lol when i was over, i remember writing to little johnnie gee the singer on this cuca rolita to see if he had any spare copies as it was fetching $1000 in califas at the time, will bump into you for sure next time im over cheers terry in gateshead

soul source url
Posted

i think ive sourced records from you for arlene in the past dylan and gotn you to swap emails, and your spot on with the drug of choice, bubblegum kush and plenty of it

soul source url
Posted

simon

:huh: ?

soul source url
Posted

chicano for i agree, firme rolita, simon

soul source url
Posted

Great thread, I've talked to Anthony Sweeney from this site about this music before. I'm really impressed with a lot of what I've heard and the whole sub-culture attached to it is really interesting.

soul source url
Posted

you always were on the game regarding music Sprotty (Terry)

great stuff.

maybe I can move my sweet and deep over there,done the odd sale in the past

soul source url
Posted

you always were on the game regarding music Sprotty (Terry)

great stuff.

hi jeff theyre buying like crazy, make a list up and ill email it to them

soul source url
Posted

might do that,tried to hold this type of stuff back for my own pleasure,dont wanna sell my good stuff just yet.

will send you a PM about other stuff wanna clear

soul source url
Posted

Great thread, I've talked to Anthony Sweeney from this site about this music before. I'm really impressed with a lot of what I've heard and the whole sub-culture attached to it is really interesting.

I wonder if I could pull of the look in Nottingham with a big old low rider car and tunes blasting out.

soul source url
Posted

chicano for i agree, firme rolita, simon

:thumbsup: Ah, i wasn't sure if you were mixing me up with someone.

soul source url
Posted

I have to agree with bob. Although the music does go with the lowrider scene because some of them are collectors and into their cars, they also prefer to bump this music in their cars. I cam remember cruisimg in san jose and all u would hear is oldies. Dedications and requests on oldies shows was a way to express feelings towards ur man or woman, by the name of the song. By

Growing up in salinas, california I seen this first hand and on the radio. I later became a dj and collecor where I take dedications and requests first hand and undetstand whats goin on.

listened to your show quite a few times tone after getting the heads up from sleeps,most impressed, thanks for turning me on to 2nd story man and little green monster to name just 2

soul source url
Posted

If anyone has got this book for sale, please PM me with the price. :thumbsup:

soul source url
Posted

Good feature on this type of Scene in Wax Poetics fanzine - issue 49 - Low Rider Oldies - 14 page spread .

soul source url
Posted

Great Poster for a recent event; nothing to do with 'Northern Soul' but check out some of those labels and titles.

Ring any bells? :0)

Sean

post-4120-0-67767200-1340304085_thumb.jp

soul source url
Posted

Great Poster for a recent event; nothing to do with 'Northern Soul' but check out some of those labels and titles.

Ring any bells? :0)

Sean

some great soul records there.

soul source url
Posted

If anyone has got this book for sale, please PM me with the price. :thumbsup:

your probably best off contacting ruben on his facebook site, think its listed as ruben molina la puente ca, hes a straight up geezer,he has a couple of other books out dealing with chicano culture music etc, gives a real insight into the whole scene

soul source url
Posted

your probably best off contacting ruben on his facebook site, think its listed as ruben molina la puente ca, hes a straight up geezer,he has a couple of other books out dealing with chicano culture music etc, gives a real insight into the whole scene

Thanks! I'll give that a go. :thumbsup:

soul source url
Posted

Thanks! I'll give that a go. :thumbsup:

Ruben also has a website Sebastian (chicanosoul.com) and I know a while ago he was talking about reprinting the "Old Barrio Guide" but don't know if he ever did.

Cheers,

Sean

soul source url
Posted

I wonder if I could pull of the look in Nottingham with a big old low rider car and tunes blasting out.

you have to get a fedora and learn how to hit switches

soul source url
Posted

You can move your sweet and deep right here, PM me a list :yes:

soul source url
Posted

call it lowrider, deep, sweet, group, harmony...whatever you call it, it really is my type of sound when not deejaying. must say I really like their scene and the yway they "do" with tthe music. it really is my type of Soul when not deejaying (and sometimes even when deejaying especially during ea Hip City first`s spot) underline what has been said already, the people I know are all fab!

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Damn! I live over in Marina.

Please let me know of any soul stuff going on around the salinas area. I spin rare soul last Friday of each month in monterey if you are ever around....

I spin some low rider type stuff:

Karen small - get you back again

Jay w king - I'm so afraid

Nialations - Take you just as you come

Founders - don't you leave me baby

Tiffany's - please tell me

Etc...

Edited by ljblanken

soul source url
Posted

I met the in-Chicago southern souleros today (including Ruben Molina), they were all super nice and friendly.

soul source url
Posted

I met the in-Chicago southern souleros today (including Ruben Molina), they were all super nice and friendly.

What about the women on the CD covers and youtube clips? Did you meet any of them Bob? :wicked:

Jordi

soul source url
Posted

What about the women on the CD covers and youtube clips? Did you meet any of them Bob? :wicked:

Jordi

it was weird, almost none of the souleros were wearing any clothes at all

soul source url
Posted

it was weird, almost none of the souleros were wearing any clothes at all

Souleros or souleras?

soul source url
Posted

Love the terminology they use as well as the music they play, what does "Sick" or "Sikk" mean when describing a record

Kev

soul source url
Posted

Seeing as this thread just got reactivated, here's some links to radio shows featuring sweet soul low rider selections from myself, and the Southern Soul Spinners;

45's of Fury Sweet Soul Editions......

with guest Soulera 5150

http://dublab.com/greg-belson-45s-of-fury-w-soulera-5150-01-22-14/

with guest Ruben Molina

http://dublab.com/greg-belson-45s-of-fury-w-ruben-molina-07-24-13/

with guest Rene Ruelas

http://dublab.com/greg-belson-45s-of-fury-w-rene-ruelas-03-27-13/

with guest George Miller Jr.

http://dublab.com/greg-belson-with-george-miller-jr-45s-of-fury-06-28-12/

soul source url
Posted

Seeing as this thread just got reactivated, here's some links to radio shows featuring sweet soul low rider selections from myself, and the Southern Soul Spinners;

45's of Fury Sweet Soul Editions......

with guest Soulera 5150

http://dublab.com/greg-belson-45s-of-fury-w-soulera-5150-01-22-14/

with guest Ruben Molina

http://dublab.com/greg-belson-45s-of-fury-w-ruben-molina-07-24-13/

with guest Rene Ruelas

http://dublab.com/greg-belson-45s-of-fury-w-rene-ruelas-03-27-13/

with guest George Miller Jr.

http://dublab.com/greg-belson-with-george-miller-jr-45s-of-fury-06-28-12/

Brilliant stuff Greg, with this lot and Bobs show, gonna keep me busy for a while

Kev

soul source url
Guest profile photo