Steve G profile photo

Low Rider Scene

Audio Lists Steve G

Posted
9 hours ago, tomangoes said:

Surely the definition of low rider music is as oblique as the definition of Northern Soul music?

To complicate the issue more...............Stepping out of the picture is considered a 'classic' by both genres!

So much so that the demand for this tune is 'doubled up' because both sets of collectors want it!

Then, to complicate matters even more some records have one side in demand by the Low Rider scene, with the flip in demand by the Northern Soul scene.

Example

Track Artist Title Composer Producer  
A The Heartbreakers [Derby City] How Do You Say Goodbye Eddie Haynes, Elzy White Elzy White Jr LR
B The Heartbreakers [Derby City] I've Got To Face It Elzy White Jr Elzy White Jr NS

Images

the-heartbreakers-usa-how-do-you-say-goo

the-heartbreakers-usa-ive-got-to-face-it

As always it has to be down to your own perception of genre

Ed

Hi Ed, good point and example used with The Heartbreakers, "How do you say goodbye" a good choice for this thread, there are many, many examples of records collected by 2 different sets  for their alternative sides, however, I can't agree with the Johnny Maestro record you posted, yes, it,s hard to pigeon hole the exact description of "Low Rider" but in the main like The Heartbreakers example "Sweet Soul" and "Group Harmony" records where the tempo is slower, even ballads, anyway, that's my opinion for what its worth Ed, Sigs has just posted a great example by Inner Souls, stuff along them kinda lines, good discussion though

Regards

Kev

• Thanks 1

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

inspired by my weekend visit to Sweet, Deep and Soulful I need to get back into this thread.......

soul source url
Posted
Just now, gazman said:

inspired by my weekend visit to Sweet, Deep and Soulful I need to get back into this thread.......

Superb Philly Group sound Gary:thumbsup: Wow !!! that lead vocal

soul source url
Posted
Just now, kev cane said:

Superb Philly Group sound Gary:thumbsup: Wow !!! that lead vocal

I know the vocal is stunning!!

gary

soul source url
Posted

DEEEEEPPPPPPP

soul source url
Posted
Just now, gazman said:

DEEEEEPPPPPPP

:ohmy:  Just awesome

soul source url
Posted

Played this on Saturday, story to it, less than a minute in, there,s a sort of mis- edit, reason being, Calvin died in a highway smash while they were in the process of making this, Aquarius wanted to put it out so that was the final result, sad story really, but adds to the thing

Kev

soul source url
Posted
2 minutes ago, kev cane said:

Played this on Saturday, story to it, less than a minute in, there,s a sort of mis- edit, reason being, Calvin died in a highway smash while they were in the process of making this, Aquarius wanted to put it out so that was the final result, sad story really, but adds to the thing

Kev

beautiful record and a nice story, i remember noticing this when you played it and thinking how could they do such a bad job, now i know

gary

soul source url
Posted

gary

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted
42 minutes ago, gazman said:

2 Fantastic posts Gary, on the lookout

Kev

soul source url
Posted

Hey, does anyone know the song in the latest Gangsters Dedication Radio(March 18), at 1:56:45?  Female vocal, chorus of "I've got to stop thinking about you".

soul source url
Posted
12 hours ago, egosheep said:

Hey, does anyone know the song in the latest Gangsters Dedication Radio(March 18), at 1:56:45?  Female vocal, chorus of "I've got to stop thinking about you".

@egosheep record is la niers on river city

soul source url
Posted

Hey Lightsleeper, thanks so much. :thumbsup:  

soul source url
Posted

Think those who have contributed to this thread, in particular, might be interested in what we have on offer at the next Diggin Deep.

Easter Saturday 'Diggin Deep 3' features the Boro' Boys - Mike Lofthouse, Adam Garbutt and Tommo.

Three serious Soul Music Men from the North East, coming to bring us all some Soul!

Alongside myself and Kev Briscoe, of course!

The July event 'Diggin' Deep 4' is our Summer Sizzler and suffice to say promises to be absolutely incredible.

I'll leave it to the flyer to fill you in on the Guest List and detail.

Cheers,

:thumbsup:

Sean

arlene.jpg

soul source url
Posted
On 13/03/2017 at 11:02, gazman said:

DEEEEEPPPPPPP

Deep....and so grim!!!

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike Lofthouse said:

Deep....and so grim!!!

I've always liked this. No melody but somehow appealing 

soul source url
Posted (edited)
On 05/04/2017 at 15:43, Sean Hampsey said:

Think those who have contributed to this thread, in particular, might be interested in what we have on offer at the next Diggin Deep.

Easter Saturday 'Diggin Deep 3' features the Boro' Boys - Mike Lofthouse, Adam Garbutt and Tommo.

Three serious Soul Music Men from the North East, coming to bring us all some Soul!

Alongside myself and Kev Briscoe, of course!

The July event 'Diggin' Deep 4' is our Summer Sizzler and suffice to say promises to be absolutely incredible.

I'll leave it to the flyer to fill you in on the Guest List and detail.

Cheers,

:thumbsup:

Sean

arlene.jpg

Just a quick heads up on what promises to be the Low Rider event of the year.

Tickets are now on sale @ £10 each and are flying out of the door.

These are limited to 100. With the obvious demand on tickets you'll need to be quick.

Priority is offered to 'Diggin' Deep' group members and those who frquent this great Soul Source thread.

So please PayPal sean.hampsey@usegreymatter.com without delay to witness this immense Soul Happening!

Many thanks,

Sean

Arlene HiDef.jpg

Edited by Sean Hampsey

soul source url
Posted

Just posted in Events Alldayers for Sweet, Deep and Soulful, Saturday, September 16th, check it out for full details. If you want tohear sounds like this, then get yourself there

Kev

soul source url
Posted

Spotted this beauty at Santa Pod here in Northants last weekend. Would be a nightmare to drive & park on UK roads :D

IMG_3465.thumb.JPG.2d8e9d30a03da6804c4de709d837630b.JPG

IMG_3466.thumb.JPG.e07690f2c8a9eed591c15d2b63b26085.JPG

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted (edited)

An Old Skool special focusing on Low Rider Soul from LA in conversation with Arlene Sepulveda from the Southern Soul Spinners who are some of the most prolific purveyors the sound.

So if you like it low and slow, sweet soul, deep soul, steppers....this is for you....

https://www.mixcloud.com/JMSOUL/jm-soul-connoisseurs-low-rider-special-in-conversation-with-arlene-sepulveda/

Edited by JMSOUL

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, JMSOUL said:

An Old Skool special focusing on Low Rider Soul from LA in conversation with Arlene Sepulveda from the Southern Soul Spinners who are some of the most prolific purveyors the sound.

So if you like it low and slow, sweet soul, deep soul, steppers....this is for you....

https://www.mixcloud.com/JMSOUL/jm-soul-connoisseurs-low-rider-special-in-conversation-with-arlene-sepulveda/

hi Jm

just a quick word to let you know there's no need to post duplicate ads for audio mixes 

just post it the once in the media section and members should get informed

have moved your other dupe post here

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/forum/128-soul-media-playlists/

soul source url
Posted

Just seen a Honey & The Bees 45 in sales section and was reminded just how good the B side is! 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Tune in this Saturday 3rd March 2018.....cheers!

Gangster Dedications - 3rd March 2018.jpeg

soul source url
Posted

Ultimate Lowrider tune for me:

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Got a copy of this signed by the author in 2004 at the LA gig.

I love the way it's set out with a matter of fact description of artists and records.

The Heartbreakers track was discussed at length. 

Ed

Screenshot_20180227-232416.png

soul source url
Posted

Guys, have a quick song ID request.  Gangsters Dedications Radio, Feb 3 episode with Ruben Molina.  Song is at 40:06, nice organ tune, "Baby come back to me"?

soul source url
Posted

Anybody?:sleep3::)

soul source url
Posted

Just giving my Soul friends the heads up that a project I've been working on with Ruben Molina Arlene Sepulveda Josh Whittemore and Ady Croasdell for the past couple of years finally got a release date. A compilation of stunning Lowrider Soul from the playboxes of the leading DJ's in the genre + a couple of fabulous, previously unreleased, scorchers from The Lovers and Melvin Hicks.

Check out the link and order direct from Ace / Kent for just £11.50. - Not a lot of money for a whole lot of soul, I'm sure you'll agree.

Sean

X

https://acerecords.co.uk/this-is-lowrider-soul

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Sir Shambling's website has an interesting article on Latin Soul that mentions the Low Rider scene. The author knew his stuff.  It includes some fabulous music links. 

http://www.sirshambling.com/articles/latin_soul/index.php

Chicano's loved a ballad. Here is a genuine Chicano cut (as opposed to a record played on the scene by an R&B artist)

Edited by Firecrest

soul source url
Guest profile photo