Steve G's profile photo

Low Rider Scene

Audio Lists Steve G

Posted

Nice Greg. My shows are worth a listen I think as I often feature some souleros-type stuff:

http://www.mixcloud.com/StephenT/stephen-ts-sunday-soul-soup-show-15th-june-2014-1970s-slowies-1960s-dancers/

but I can't go as rare as Greg and his friends mind you

Looks a cracking show Stephen, just played the first 3 tunes, all awesome, will play rest of show at weekend, there are literally thousands of great Sweet Soul records as cheap as a pie and a pint, doesn't have to be rare, like this

Kev

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

very true- cheers Kev

soul source url
Posted (edited)
Just right for a warm summer evening

Edited by Dave Thorley

soul source url
Posted

Dave

the Hollywood Saxons is an amazing track IMO. I have only got one other release on the same Action-PAC label though if my memory serves me right and that's The Professionals " My heart belongs to you"  which is right up the same street. The slower side of Northern Soul that most didn't want to know about back in the eighties!

Dave H.

soul source url
Posted

Got both of these tucked away on the shelves awesome soul music

soul source url
Posted

Dave

the Hollywood Saxons is an amazing track IMO. I have only got one other release on the same Action-PAC label though if my memory serves me right and that's The Professionals " My heart belongs to you"  which is right up the same street. The slower side of Northern Soul that most didn't want to know about back in the eighties!

Dave H.

Heard that The Professionals and Hollywood Saxons are the same group Dave, Professionals posted earlier, both sides are brill, here,s another, for a hot summers night

Unity-Love is all we have left

Kev

soul source url
Posted

had this on repeat yt playback a bit back

flip of one lover

soul source url
Posted

had this on repeat yt playback a bit back

flip of one lover

Superb Mike, that young lady OglilDarling who posted it on youtube has an amazing channel, packed full of goodies like this

Kev

soul source url
Posted

Loving this thread. This is pretty much the only music I'm buying these days, sweet headphone bangers.

Here's 3 that are doing the damage to my eardrums on a regular basis.

Alias Funk and Soul - The Bells

Soul Explusion - Love is the Answer

Little Gregory and the Concepts - Look and You'll See

soul source url
Posted

I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I'm really struggling with some of this stuff, I KNOW that it is quality, because I know & respect the peoples taste in Soul Music who champion it & yes, there are odd things I really like, but generally, for me its too down tempo & sickly sweet, I am gonna stick with it though & do my utmost to give it a chance, I just wanted to mention my personal opinion...I do find the whole Lowrider scene with regards to this music intriguing though,  to say the least......

Best Russ

soul source url
Posted

Loving this thread. This is pretty much the only music I'm buying these days, sweet headphone bangers.

Here's 3 that are doing the damage to my eardrums on a regular basis.

Alias Funk and Soul - The Bells

Soul Explusion - Love is the Answer

Little Gregory and the Concepts - Look and You'll See

Ditto for me aswell Jordi, three beauties, all new to these grateful lugs, posted the flip to this earlier, took a long time to get one

5 Stepping Stars-Making Love-JCDT

Kev

soul source url
Posted

On nights tonight :( so posting a couple now, here,s Ronnie McNeir in 1970, another one that was difficult to get, Franc (Cobbles) posted this up a couple of years ago, I was hooked

Kev

soul source url
Posted

One that many with be familiar with for the flip side "Missing You"

soul source url
Posted

Awesome, one of my all time favourite records, and I don't say that as a throw away statement

Kev

soul source url
Posted

Heard that The Professionals and Hollywood Saxons are the same group Dave, Professionals posted earlier, both sides are brill, here,s another, for a hot summers night

Unity-Love is all we have left

Kev

Yes they are/were the same group,think they used another name too but cant remember

soul source url
Posted

Yes they are/were the same group,think they used another name too but cant remember

Cheers Gilly, was going to ask you anyway

Kev

soul source url
Posted

I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I'm really struggling with some of this stuff, I KNOW that it is quality, because I know & respect the peoples taste in Soul Music who champion it & yes, there are odd things I really like, but generally, for me its too down tempo & sickly sweet, I am gonna stick with it though & do my utmost to give it a chance, I just wanted to mention my personal opinion...I do find the whole Lowrider scene with regards to this music intriguing though,  to say the least......

Best Russ

I know what you mean Russ, sometimes the sickly falsetto ones are too sweet for me, but sometimes they have an atmosphere and sincerity as well as unbelievable vocals that just stops you dead in your tracks. the 3 songs I posted are very rare originals with killer funk flips.

Jordi

soul source url
Posted

Cheers Gilly, was going to ask you anyway

Kev

Some nice stuff on this thread Kev

soul source url
Posted

WOW!! Beauty. Another on the wants list. Brilliant instrumentation and production.

soul source url
Posted

WOW!! Beauty. Another on the wants list. Brilliant instrumentation and production.

Cheap as chips aswell Jordi, came out on Chicago Music Bag and also Al-Tog

Kev

soul source url
Posted

Cheap as chips aswell Jordi, came out on Chicago Music Bag and also Al-Tog

Kev

Splendid. That appeals to my Yorkshire sense of frugalness. (tight git).

soul source url
Posted (edited)

LP Only for this, available on a legitimate re-issue, fantastic

George Scott-I'm a fool for you-Maple LP

Kev

Edited by kev cane

soul source url
Posted

LP Only for this, available on a legitimate re-issue, fantastic

George Scott-I'm a fool for you-Maple LP

Kev

Bloody hell that's awesome! Is there an original of that Kev or did it only ever come out on a reissue LP. Would that mean that it was never originally issued?

soul source url
Posted

Bloody hell that's awesome! Is there an original of that Kev or did it only ever come out on a reissue LP. Would that mean that it was never originally issued?

No Jordi, there is a 1st issue LP on Maple, but its pricey, agreed, awesome

Kev

soul source url
Posted

I know what you mean Russ, sometimes the sickly falsetto ones are too sweet for me, but sometimes they have an atmosphere and sincerity as well as unbelievable vocals that just stops you dead in your tracks. the 3 songs I posted are very rare originals with killer funk flips.

Jordi

Hey Jordi - I'm having problems accessing any social media right now in Iraq, I have listened to Gregs Mixcloud stuff, but cant listen to the Youtube clips yet....ahhhrggghh driivng me mad lol...hopefully they'll switch it back on soon, failing that I'll have some catching up to do when I get home in 2 weeks......I have an open mind, so I'm sure I'll catch up....hope youre well.

Best Russ

soul source url
Posted

Cheyenne Wyoming ain't exactly reknowned for it's soul output but ..

Soul Reflections (featuring Carroll Jones) - I Love You Baby - RMR

wow, I have  'I Need You So Bad / Hey Giirl" but always thought that was a solitary 45...  what else did they do?

Mal :-)

soul source url
Guest Dave Turner\
Posted (edited)

wow, I have  'I Need You So Bad / Hey Giirl" but always thought that was a solitary 45...  what else did they do?

Mal :-)

Not sure Mal, but I think just the two 45s

http://www.g45central.com/oldforum/viewtopic.php?p=9233

Edited by Dave Turner

soul source url
Posted

Not sure Mal, but I think just the two 45s

http://www.g45central.com/oldforum/viewtopic.php?p=9233

well they dont think much of it do they... personally Ive always thought 'I Need You So Bad' is a cracker of a track, not so keen on 'Hey Girl' but INYSB is a really nice slowie, wouldn't sell mine...

each to their own I guess..

Mal

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Slaughter Inc featuring Tootsie - Hear I Am

Edited by tiberius

soul source url
Posted

Slaughter Inc featuring Tootsie - Hear I Am

Played this round a mates a couple of weeks ago.We thought it may have been Shirley Slaughter on vocals until we read label.

Nice track.

soul source url
Posted

Group perfection IMHO

Hope everyone's had a soulful weekend

Kev

soul source url
Posted
Cool Chicago recording. The group is from Kansas City and has one Eugene Smiley on vocals .........................

soul source url
Posted

Staying with the Chicago connection, actually bought this from Bob

Kev

soul source url
Guest Dave Turner\
Posted

Very well known but what a record. First outing for the great Ann Sexton

Elijah & the Ebonies - I Confess - Gitana

soul source url
Guest Dave Turner\
Posted (edited)

Doesn't seem as if the dance floor obscures great soul music over there so you might get to hear such as this.

For me, just prop me up at the bar, keeping feeding me pints and keep playing stuff like this ... that'll do fer me

Same as the Linda Jones Turbo LP track

Edited by Dave Turner

soul source url
Posted

Doesn't seem as if the dance floor obscures great soul music over there so you might get to hear such as this.

For me, just prop me up at the bar, keeping feeding me pints and keep playing stuff like this ... that'll do fer me

Same as the Linda Jones Turbo LP track

Immense, not too far removed from Linda either Dave, have seen footage of the Southern Soul Spinners nights in California, the dance floor is rammed, but they dance with their ladies, its very impressive, posted the other side to this, Ronnie McNeir in 1970, his self confessed 2nd recording

Kev

soul source url
Guest Dave Turner\
Posted (edited)

Gloria & the Relations - Hook, Line & Sinker

Sounds great out at 1.53

Edited by Dave Turner

soul source url
Posted

I've got this , think the label is different on mine though ...

soul source url
Posted

Group perfection IMHO

Not herd this version before Kev,must be time for a CD from you my friend, cousin, countryman I want to have your babies

Hope everyone's had a soulful weekend

Kev

soul source url
Posted

Consider it done, will be in the post tomorrow Gilly

Kev

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Archie Bell does a great version, but for me, this pips it

Billy Jones and the Stars-Love will rain on you-Catfish

Kev

Edited by kev cane

soul source url
Posted

After a little while looking and diggin' around, finally added this killer cut to the Memorial stash.....unbelievable harmonies and arrangement.

Eveready Singers 'Keep on praying'

soul source url
Guest Dave Turner\
Posted

I can listen to The Manhattans' superb "One Life To Live" (Deluxe) at any time day or night, for me just a gorgeous record.

A gospel take from The Florida Spiritualaires (Eddie Maultsby)

Florida Spiritualaires - If I Had One Life (LP only, in fact it's on two different LPs but no 45)

soul source url
Posted

Sweet Soul meets Lowrider

From those nice people in Little Rock, True Soul, stunning tune...............

http://youtu.be/dv8QaS27ibU

soul source url
Posted

Jordi

This Jordi, is probably a good example of what you are saying, the blend is here, the falsetto, atmosphere, sincerity, but with great harmonies and diverse vocals, I personally love this to bits

Third Flight-Love, love, love

soul source url
Posted

I can listen to The Manhattans' superb "One Life To Live" (Deluxe) at any time day or night, for me just a gorgeous record.

Ditto your comment for One Life To Live.  Another I play a lot at home is the Inclinations on Janus.

soul source url
Posted

http://youtu.be/mcsVAx8cGHo

My fave and was in the box at Horse and Groom but never got round to playing it,.

soul source url
Posted

http://youtu.be/-WHaHEgUCd0

I did play this and unlike the 45 in clip the labels were on the right way.

soul source url
Posted

Creation - I'm So Lonely   Features Eric Carr (Fox) of Kiss fame!

soul source url
Posted

I think it's pretty much clear we all recognise and like soulful music regardless of tempo.

Just as sure that most of us buy these kind of records, at best they can be fitted into a set, but as a scene here in the UK, I very much doubt it.

The crossover scene has evolved into a Sunday affair nowadays because most of the usual nights are/were flat and poorly attended, so I'm afraid the tempo of sweet soul will only ever be a group of mates in a back room of a club or pub.

Oh, that reminds me... The 117 club in Bishop Auckland is now in its 10... Or is it 11th yr and we've been playing loads of stuff like this down there!

Hollywood saxons and professionals being regular spins over the yrs, myself and Wayne from Shildon having both records each.... Well I had em, he still has em lol

One of my faves and a regular play is this

I Want To Groove You - Van Jones & The Jays:

soul source url
Guest\