Steve G's profile photo

Low Rider Scene

Audio Lists Steve G

Posted

Some great posts, Cobbles....the Primes is a definite favorite on the West Coast. And the Little Caesar is a straight knock out....quite unique in many ways with that distinctive drum pattern. One of those tunes that always gets the crowd on their feet.....and it has an added bonus of a great uptempo funky flipside, for those that are that way inclined.

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

here a texas 45 that I've always loved that I think maybe falls into the "lowrider" category

franc

Fantastic posts Franc, yes, there,s some great channels on the Tube as you state, but, being the modest guy you are you forgot to mention your own channel Cobblesoul45s which for my money is up there with the best. Great stuff

Kev

soul source url
Posted

The Young Mods - I Can't Hurt You Back.  The other side is great too but not one for this thread.

soul source url
Posted

The Young Mods - I Can't Hurt You Back.  The other side is great too but not one for this thread.

Quite awesome really, sad really that for a so called  "Soul" music site, only a handful  bother with this thread

Kev

soul source url
Posted

Tender, fragile sweet soul from Brother Aron Salas out of San Jose.

soul source url
Posted

Hows about the wonderful" Thats what love will do", The Symphonies.

It surely doesn't get much better !!

soul source url
Posted

The Young Mods - I Can't Hurt You Back. The other side is great too but not one for this thread.

Great record

soul source url
Posted

Quite awesome really, sad really that for a so called  "Soul" music site, only a handful  bother with this thread

Kev

Perhaps we should start a lowrider night Kev :g:

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Perhaps we should start a lowrider night Kev :g:

Now there's a good idea Chris, or a separate room at a venue playing Low Rider and related stuff

Kev

Edited by kev cane

soul source url
Posted

Kev

Kev, you know me, this is right up my street but I can't do the uploads at work and never seem to have time at night to do stuff.

All credit to you and the others for keeping it going though. Some immense stuff posted so far.

soul source url
Posted

Kev, you know me, this is right up my street but I can't do the uploads at work and never seem to have time at night to do stuff.

All credit to you and the others for keeping it going though. Some immense stuff posted so far.

I know that Mike and your comments are well received

Kev

soul source url
Posted

It's all good stuff Kev, very enjoyable read and listen , great thread

JB

soul source url
Posted

Kev

Had it read curtis mayfield instead of young mods at the bottom i do not think many would have questioned it!  Lovely

track.

soul source url
Posted

Now there's a good idea Chris, or a separate room at a venue playing Low Rider and related stuff

Kev

Now i did notice at the start of this thread some reference to the fact that over on the west coast they have nights like this and they all dance with their partners. Given that i will probably travel with ncfc, i do not want to be under any pressure. I can listen to his great records all night, but that is where i draw the line! he has two left feet , and i don't like his aftershave. Much as i hate to say it, 'Im gonna bring the missus'. :yes:  :yes:  :yes:  

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Now i did notice at the start of this thread some reference to the fact that over on the west coast they have nights like this and they all dance with their partners. Given that i will probably travel with ncfc, i do not want to be under any pressure. I can listen to his great records all night, but that is where i draw the line! he has two left feet , and i don't like his aftershave. Much as i hate to say it, 'Im gonna bring the missus'. :yes:  :yes:  :yes:  

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: Yes Andy, the Southern Soul Spinners have nights in California and they dance with their partners, I am not sure if Chris would be up for dancing with you either mind, so don't flatter yourself :lol:

Kev

Edited by kev cane

soul source url
Posted

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: Yes Andy, the Southern Soul Spinners have nights in California and they dance with their partners, I am not sure if Chris would be up to dancing with you either mind, so don't flatter yourself :lol:

Kev

I think he would rather go on his bike and not tell me. :shhh:

soul source url
Posted

I'll be on tour in Europe and the UK from mid June til mid September and would be totally up for guest DJ'ing a sweet soul set should a night get off the ground. Please gimme a holler if you get things moving and are interested!

soul source url
Guest Johnny One Trout\
Posted

Tender, fragile sweet soul from Brother Aron Salas out of San Jose.

Just lovely, is this a 45 or an album track?

soul source url
Guest Johnny One Trout\
Posted

http://youtu.be/QJROGAhGYa0

Forgot how good this was.Just blasted this out in the lounge.

Long time favourite in our house after being put on to it by the wonderful Mr Pountain

soul source url
Posted

Just lovely, is this a 45 or an album track?

According to this research, it was originally a CD track recorded in 1997 (!), which made its way (possibly under dubious circumstances) onto a 45. It's the flipside of an equally great cut.......Sister Lydia & Sister Merna 'Come Holy spirit'. Check out what the Numero Group unearthed about these recordings via this link;

http://www.numerogroup.com/artists/gods-band

post-1501-0-04456600-1422266386_thumb.jp

soul source url
Guest Johnny One Trout\
Posted

Thanks Greg, two excellent sides even with the dubious provenance

soul source url
Posted

played a sweet soul ballad night in San Fran while on tour back in July, it was definitely one of the more awesome things to witness a crowded room of Mexican couples slow dancing to the tunes all night.  they were blown away that someone from NZ had the records hahaha.  i'm supposed to head back & play the same again this year & hopefully scheduling will make a gig with the Southern Soul Spinners a possibility.  It's a fun scene.  No one gets it all down here in NZ but I love it.  Slow & low.

soul source url
Posted (edited)

.http://youtu.be/TE7VYd_sQ-E

Classic sweet soul

Edited by NCFC

soul source url
Posted

http://youtu.be/YuLslVpvwII

How many people who own this 45 have never played this side.

soul source url
Posted (edited)

We dedicate the first and last hours to these type of records at the Soul Kitchen , Kent every month ( shameles plug )

Edited by romulus

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted

And the yellow label version

http://youtu.be/wnPeR8j7nww

soul source url
Posted

Picked this up for a £5 last month, ticks the boxes

soul source url
Posted

The Positive Sounds - You're The One I Need

soul source url
Posted

Picked this up for a £5 last month, ticks the boxes

Can't go wrong 45! Nice post.

Andy

soul source url
Posted

Posted "I'm a fool for you" from the same Maple album to good response a while ago, Here's another from the set "Why is it taking so long" also done by Tony Baxter on Gates, brilliant as it is, however, I am preferring George Scott's version

Kev

soul source url
Posted

God's Gift To Women - If This Is Reality (I Want Fantasy). Just picked up a spare copy of this one.

soul source url
Posted

http://youtu.be/pFgVaku04QE

Often give this a spin at home.

soul source url
Posted

Awesome Chris, became aware of this through the fantastic Essential Sweet Soul compilation from Goldmine from the 90,s, Essential being the "Essential" word, was going to post up "Let your heart be the judge" on A-I by them, but, alas I think its probably for another thread

Kev

soul source url
Posted

Dont know how rare it is Kev?Had a copy for years now.Nice set at H&G btw.

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Got this coming

Executive Four-Please don't take your love-Exen

Kev

Edited by kev cane

soul source url
Posted

Got this coming

Executive Four-Please don't take your love-Exen

Kev

Nice track!Condition?

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Nice track!Condition?

Not great Chris, I know most are not great, price reflected condition, in good nick they fetch quite a lot, if you can find one that is

Edited by kev cane

soul source url
Posted (edited)

True Movement - What A Lovely Way To Meet.  I couldn't find a decent upload on youtube, they all sound sh1te to me, this record sounds so much better in the flesh.  I posted the stock B side Depression on my youtube channel years ago.  Both sides on the stockers are quality and it's remained a cheap 45.

Edited by tiberius

soul source url
Posted

True Movement - What A Lovely Way To Meet.  I couldn't find a decent upload on youtube, they all sound sh1te to me, this record sounds so much better in the flesh.  I posted the stock B side Depression on my youtube channel years ago.  Both sides on the stockers are quality and it's remained a cheap 45.

Yes Tiberius, a beauty, got one myself, included on the brilliant Goldmine compilation CD from the 90,s "Essential Sweet Soul" another great post

Kev

soul source url
Posted

Playing this a lot at the moment, Ronnie McNeir at the front

Dezilles-Something's got to be wrong with my baby-Rina

Kev

soul source url
Posted

Playing this a lot at the moment, Ronnie McNeir at the front

Dezilles-Something's got to be wrong with my baby-Rina

Kev

Nice one Kev!

soul source url
Posted

Two new additions

James Wayne and Soul Soothers-My Last Letter

https://youtu.be/FpkfPm3Rmjs

Sunny and The Sunliners-Should I take you home

https://youtu.be/DsnsYTegciw

Kev

soul source url
Posted

Was gonna put the James W on the CD for you Kev but I thought you already had one? ;-)

soul source url
Posted

Good shout Chris, I have known for some time this is the same record a Reginald on outlook records, Just played them back to back again to make sure and while doing so noticed the outlook copy is co credited to Reggie garner as writer, I assume this was the fellow on abc. So is this Mr Garner singing lead on these 45,s as it sure sounds like him?

soul source url
Posted

Good shout Chris, I have known for some time this is the same record a Reginald on outlook records, Just played them back to back again to make sure and while doing so noticed the outlook copy is co credited to Reggie garner as writer, I assume this was the fellow on abc. So is this Mr Garner singing lead on these 45,s as it sure sounds like him?

Think your right Andy and Garner is vocalist on both 45s.

soul source url
Posted

https://youtu.be/zWVPMaOK9DA

Same record got them both also without realising.

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Godfather Strivers S.B. - To Make Me Happy (Part 1)

Edit (Part 2)

Edited by tiberius

soul source url
Posted

https://youtu.be/eUg0kius6Zc

Brilliant cheapie between 31 and 33 seconds it dont half remind me of John Gary Williams.Anyone else?

soul source url
Posted

The five members of this group came from good harmony stock , the Altairs , Enchantments and the Marscels. Which probably explains the 'tight' performance. A great track!. When this was cut in 73 John gary williams was still in the Mad lads,  shortly before he went solo in 74. But it sure does sound like him.

Andy

soul source url
Guest\