Just How Big Is The Modern Scene?

No Len, there weren't enough ex northern punters to populate these side rooms, when you can have your own dedicated modern night without the normans. Also the promotors realised they could save money by having a freestyle room for all and sundry, where the only condition is that you don't need to pay the DJs for their services. :yes:

How dare you quote me before I get time to check, double check and treble check my post you swine?!!! (Sorry, a bit of my 'O.C.D' coming out there mate lol) - Yeh, good point, but do you agree? These rooms really were 'kicking' weren't they? I loved em.

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

most events advertised as "Modern Soul" are anything but Modern. The most modern record at some of these events is often one recorded in the 70's, some might stretch to the 80's.

Hi Chalky, sorry but I have to disagree with this statement, the modern nights I attend play just that, new, modern up to date music, when did you last go to somewhere like Soul Purpose or any other local modern soul night I mentioned earlier in this thread.

The real modern scene is quite small but its growing

Atb

Barry

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Brett F

Yes I did mate, why?

Oh there's no mention of 'Modern Soul' Roger.................It must be me, my grasp of English isn't what it once was...See you soon mate...

Social source share

'Charles Johnson - Never Had A Love So Good' :D

All the best,

Len.

Thanks for that. Quite a nice track too. Why can't we just chuck them in with the other stuff and do away with all the demarkation lines? That question is not necessarily aimed at you Len.

Social source share

shortened version (probably the first version was better)

I am young compared to some of you, but back in 1982 / 1983 at the Nottingham Odd Fellows club there was a Newies room (Adam etc playing tunes), so 30 years later, what is modern soul ???

For me, if it's on vinyl or styrene it's worth a listen

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

All the best,

Len.

Hey up Len, 16 YT clips for that and only one for the flip

The soul world's lost the plot :lol:

Social source share

All the best,

Len.

Very funny Len. Problem is some folk might actually believe you...

Hey up Len, 16 YT clips for that and only one for the flip

The soul world's lost the plot :lol:

Agreed, flip far better soul record.

Social source share

The phrase 'modern soul' was first used within the northern soul community to mean 'not traditional northern soul' Of course with 70's being played, if it had the right beat, since,well, the 70's, the whole thing is a bit blurred. Crossover was at birth in the 80's actually 60/70 records previously underplayed that apealed to a modern audiance rather than the northern off shoot it has become. Some people like soulful house: other hate it. There are large numbers of people who enjoy soulful music to who the term 'modern soul' would be completly meaningless. Myself I like all eras and styles of soul music though tend towards the midtempo what with me dodgy knees and all.

dean

Edited by dean jj
Social source share

Brett,

I understand what you are saying regards Bamberg 2011, I was there , Dave Ripolles played a great set on both the nights that you mention.

My personal view is, at Bamberg, "Alternative Room" rather than "Modern Room" would be a much better description, but really this just emphasises what I was getting at.

I know, speaking with a few people in that room on the Saturday,they were disapointed that the music played wasn't a little more diverse.

As you are aware, and I'm sure will agree, at Bamberg in either room, and, particularly the cafe bar you are likely to hear a much wider range of soul music played and accepted by a younger and less critical audience than at any event in the UK.

When you look at the playlists (Oh no, please don't start that again :sleep3: ) for some of the Latin and also Scandanavian events, the diversification message is even stronger.

I'm not holding my breath on this one but, It would be nice if we in the UK,could get back to the days of attending events where we actually "enjoy" ourselves, listening to both the old and new played alongside each other.

Life really was much simpler back in 1971 :yes:

I agree totally with this John. An 'Alternative' room allows the DJ to diversify as he or she wants. You still need to have DJ's that know how to play a diverse range of music and blend and flow well otherwise it would be a complete ecclectic mish mash. I always enjoyed people like Gavin Page as he knew how to do it, without anyone being able to predict what he was going to play next. Done well, mixing the genres for me makes for my favorite nights out. I get bored of one genre continually, whether that's Northern, 60's rare, crossover, steppers, funk, 70's dancers, jazzy rare grooves or modern/contemporary plodders, but when they're mixed up well with good imaginative underplayed record choices then I'll have a great time. And don't get me started with the Northern soulie's unimaginative definition of Modern and flogging average / dull tunes to death for ever such as Driza bone and Kenny Thomas etc, etc, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Thanks for that. Quite a nice track too. Why can't we just chuck them in with the other stuff and do away with all the demarkation lines? That question is not necessarily aimed at you Len.

He He, Ref Steve G's post (I can't cope with the 'Multi quote' lark on here, I always mess it up!) Have to admit my 'irony' was actually aimed at me as to be perfectly honest that's about as far as my 'modern' soul 'knowledge' goes.

Agree though Ref the above post, 'tis a nice track and as far as the demarcation lines go, I also agree there is no need for them - 'A good soul record is a good soul record' so should be played in the same room in my 'humble' opinion.

Ooo, just thought of another - 'Skip Mahoney - Janice'

I must be a 'Modern Soul Guru'! (I've now been to 'Essence' you see) :D

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Myself I like all eras and styles of soul music though tend towards the midtempo what with me dodgy knees and all.

dean

Nothing to do with ya 'dodgy knees' mate - It simply means you have good taste! :thumbsup:

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

I agree totally with this John. An 'Alternative' room allows the DJ to diversify as he or she wants. You still need to have DJ's that know how to play a diverse range of music and blend and flow well otherwise it would be a complete ecclectic mish mash. I always enjoyed people like Gavin Page as he knew how to do it, without anyone being able to predict what he was going to play next. Done well, mixing the genres for me makes for my favorite nights out. I get bored of one genre continually, whether that's Northern, 60's rare, crossover, steppers, funk, 70's dancers, jazzy rare grooves or modern/contemporary plodders, but when they're mixed up well with good imaginative underplayed record choices then I'll have a great time. And don't get me started with the Northern soulie's unimaginative definition of Modern and flogging average / dull tunes to death for ever such as Driza bone and Kenny Thomas etc, etc, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Wow, there's another two! - 'Driza bone and Kenny Thomas' lol - Absolutely agree with what you say there mate, diversity is so much more interesting and as I've said many times before, each different style / genre (What a great word!) compliments the other. For example if say something was played that some may class as 'old hat' amongst other stuff, it can 'revitalise' that particular tune, in other words it can re-activate ones appreciation of it. I've seen it happen on occasion and it's great.

Does that make sense?

All the best,

Len.

P.s - Is this going 'off topic'? I think the original question was how big is the modern scene?

Edited by LEN
Social source share

He He, Ref Steve G's post (I can't cope with the 'Multi quote' lark on here, I always mess it up!) Have to admit my 'irony' was actually aimed at me as to be perfectly honest that's about as far as my 'modern' soul 'knowledge' goes.

Agree though Ref the above post, 'tis a nice track and as far as the demarcation lines go, I also agree there is no need for them - 'A good soul record is a good soul record' so should be played in the same room in my 'humble' opinion.

Ooo, just thought of another - 'Skip Mahoney - Janice'

I must be a 'Modern Soul Guru'! (I've now been to 'Essence' you see) :D

All the best,

Len.

That's it now, I'm following you as THE authority on soul music. Nolan Porter, If I Could Only Be Sure. Do we like this?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

"Well done 'my Son', a good choice"

All the best,

Len 'The Guru' Dopson (D'ya think this may catch on?!!!) - Watch out Ted 'The Messiah' Massey! lol :rofl:

Who's Ted Massey?

Been wanting to say that for months.

Edited by Grayman45
Social source share

You'll have to forgive me Ted, I'm half way through a huge 'reefer' :shhh: - Nina and I have been watching Jay-Z live at The Hackney festival (In the comfort of our own home!) Don't particularly like his songs and can't make out a word he is singing (saying)...but god the 'guyz' got stage presence! Lol

Night night 'smiley' zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :D

All the best,

Len.

Social source share

It's a meaningless question since as well as various shades of "modern", right through to Y2k12 banging house and R&B, it picks up many people who are not on a recognised scene.

One of the strangest things a few years ago was when we organised a Soul 24-7 party. One guy who is not on the "scene" as far as we could tel, said "give me the big downstairs room and I'll fill it up".

Lo and behold us usual suspects had about 60 people in the upstairs room. This other dude had over 250 turn up downstairs, and none of us had ever seen any of them before.

Tony Sugaray Steve

Social source share

Mainly boogie, funky and club classics.

London has always has that mostly Black crowd Steve. Made up from the remnants of those that went to Flicks, The Royalty, Goldmine, Caister etc and their younger bros and sisters. You only had to listen to pirate radio there were always soul stations in amongst the House and Hardcore ones.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Geese, we went to a modern soul do in Hull a couple of weeks ago, mainly because Dave Hulmes Wolverhampton/Starpoint Radio) was DJing and had text me and told me to go!

It was a bit empty when we arrived, and was mostly us old 'uns, but by 10.30 the place was filling up nicely, and at it looked like at least 40% of the punters were under 30!

Apparently they always get a crowd of 150+ and a lot of those are on the younger side.

Dave Hulmes posts links to his Starpoint show and other mixes on Souncloud on his facebook page, well worth a listen if you want to know the sort of stuff that's getting played at Modern events and weekenders at the moment.

Geese, we went to a modern soul do in Hull a couple of weeks ago, mainly because Dave Hulmes Wolverhampton/Starpoint Radio) was DJing and had text me and told me to go!

It was a bit empty when we arrived, and was mostly us old 'uns, but by 10.30 the place was filling up nicely, and at it looked like at least 40% of the punters were under 30!

Apparently they always get a crowd of 150+ and a lot of those are on the younger side.

Dave Hulmes posts links to his Starpoint show and other mixes on Souncloud on his facebook page, well worth a listen if you want to know the sort of stuff that's getting played at Modern events and weekenders at the moment.

Is the a link to Daves soundcloud / facebook

Neil

Social source share

Guest MOLLY

I sort of agree Jordi, but then (can of worms time ) depends on an individuals perception of what is a 'Modern Soul Scene' ?, too be honest for me Modern Soul is just that, very current music with a soulful backdrop (not in a literal sense, but i'm sure you understand ) Without trying to split the 'Soul Scene' any further it at times can be difficult, i see nights promoted as MS' see the dj line up and realise it's either mainly 70's/Crossover or it isn't !

For me as a 17/18 year old i can remember listening to Arthur, Sam and Mr Searling at Romeo and Juliets, Sheffield all dayers 1982/83 playing current release (or as near as dammit) soul music, then they called it newies.. It's a shame (for me) that Soul music has become so compartmentalised since my teenage years to such a degree that hardly any of us sing from the same hymn sheet. But that seems to be the nature of the Beast, we all like different styles of this music, some more than others.

Social source share

Guest MOLLY

Totally agree with you there Brett, I too can remember in the early 80's listening to the likes of Soul Sam, Richard Searling, Arthur Fenn, Gavin Page, Adam and Robin Salter. Going to venues like Rock City in Nottingham and thinking these records are wonderful, but the masses at this time totally resented the 'Newies' or 'Modern' sounds being played. But I will be ever grateful to them all, for opening my young 17 yr old ears to a new genre of 'Soul' music. They all in their own way have made me the collector and DJ that I am today, and helped me have the open minded appreciation for all genre's that I wish a lot more 'Soulies' on the scene today would embrace ;-)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!