Big Frank & The Essences

MarkWhiteley

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Regarding BIG FRANK a mate of mine picked one up around STAFFORD time on BLUE ROCK the lable was a bit loose round the edges had a look underneath and there was a MERCURY lable!!!

That's enough trivia for one night

Derek

Social source share

Regarding BIG FRANK  a mate of mine picked one up around  STAFFORD time on  BLUE ROCK  the lable was a bit loose round the edges had a look underneath and there was  a MERCURY  lable!!!

Derek, are you sure you don't mean PHILIPS?

Billy - Big Frank & The Essences was released on both Philips and Blue Rock labels, as they were both distributed by Mercury. I think the Philips issue is marginally rarer than Blue Rock. Hope this helps.

Gene

Social source share

Gene, the Blue Rocks are rarer than the Philips ones. I'd have said £250 for Philips, £300-350 for Blue Rock.

Oh no, Dave!! I should never have sold my Blue Rock issue for £100!! Always thought it was the other way round!!!

Think I'll go and have a few Guinnesses and try to blank the whole traumatic experience out of my mind!! :-)

Social source share

Billy - Big Frank & The Essences was released on both Philips and Blue Rock labels, as they were both distributed by Mercury.  I think the Philips issue is marginally rarer than Blue Rock.  Hope this helps.

Gene

Yes I know, that why I put "either label' in the first post :-)

Also desperately want Traffic Jam - Can't get over you - Toeholt. Such an awesome record - one of the top 70s tunes (IMO, of course). All help much appreciated. Can offer some good trades (or cash) if anyone's interested...

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Yes I know, that why I put "either label' in the first post :-)

Also desperately want Traffic Jam - Can't get over you - Toeholt. Such an awesome record - one of the top 70s tunes (IMO, of course). All help much appreciated. Can offer some good trades (or cash) if anyone's interested...

Billy if you can settle for the Chet Davenport version on the same label (Toeholt) i think you can save yourself some $ but maybe you already know that ;-)

best

Leo

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

...anyway, It's not a patch on the Traffic Jam!!

I think if you wait a bit you can get Chet for about 100£ but T.J.? 200£? 250£?

Agree that T.J. is a little bit better but Chets version is a corker aswell ;-)

best

Leo

Social source share

I think if you wait a bit you can get Chet for about 100£ but T.J.? 200£? 250£?

Agree that T.J. is a little bit better but Chets version is a corker aswell ;-)

best

Leo

No no no no no no no no no no no no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I won't have it!!!! I want the Traffic Jam!!!!!!!!! No more, no less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You won't change my mind!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Regarding BIG FRANK  a mate of mine picked one up around  STAFFORD time on  BLUE ROCK  the lable was a bit loose round the edges had a look underneath and there was  a MERCURY  lable!!!

That's enough trivia for one night

Derek

How wierd!

I had a vg+ black philips issue on vinyl which seemed to have another label underneath. When I got a mint Blue Rock issue (on styrene) I sold the philips copy to Carl Fornum, we peeled the label back a tiny bit and the one underneath was exactly the same color as the Blue Rock copy, but we didn't lift enough up to be totaly sure it was a Blue Rock label.

Social source share

Talking of Traffic Jam/ Chet Davenport on Toeholt. I've just got hold of a wicked little tune on Toeholt by Nobody's Children, called "Shardarp", it's the flip of a sweet soul tune which I can't remember the title of, but it's a killer funky soul dancer from 1976. I can't find out any info about it, can anyone help?

Jordi

Social source share

No sorry Jordi, can't help. Have tried Manship, Google, Lycos, only listings are on playlists.

Agree that T.J. is a little bit better but Chets version is a corker aswell

Have just listened to Chet and I'm afraid I have to say it's totally shite in comparison to the TJ. Weak, empty, out of tune... The list goes on...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!