Big Beat Ballads

O.K. what's your'e fave then ?

Why were they so overlooked for so many years ?

Here's a fantastic couple :

Willie Wade "come into my world" NITELIFE,

and,

Jimmie Raye "You must be losing your mind" GARRISON :[media=]

Rob.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

That Jimmie Raye is some record. :thumbsup:

Don't know about absolute faves but a couple from Walter that are up there

Social source share

Ha! I was only thinking at the weekend that next time I do the new 'freestyle' room at Radcliffe I'm gonna dig out the beat ballads....

Summat along the lines of...

George Smith - I've Had It

Freddie Scott - Mr Heartache

Betty Booth - Teardrop Avenue

Gladys Knight - Letter Full Of Tears

Walter Jackson - Uphill Climb To The Bottom

Freddie Gorman - The Day Will Come

Clydie King - Only The Guilty Cry

Gene McDaniels - Walk With A Winner

Lenny Welch - The Right To Cry

Little Anthony - It's Not The Same / Hurt So Bad

etc etc

Nowt rare, and who knows maybe at least a couple of us might like it! :-)

Social source share

Dan Folgar ... The Way Of The Crowd ... ELF

Bruce Scott ... I Made An Angel Cry ... MERCURY

Inspirations ... What Am I Going To Do With You Baby ... BLACK PEARL

Halos ... Just Keep On Loving Me .... CONGRESS

Just a few Great Toons! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest rasfoz

Milt Grayson - Wafarin' Stranger Very haunting but love it

Kenny shepard what difference does make Different class

Freddie Scott Mr heartache as also mentioned above Again different class

Also its not the same Little Anthony & Impearials as said above, bought it from a 2nd hand shop as 15yr old on the strength of seeing his name on kent LPs didnt appreciate it till i was much older though :thumbsup:

Social source share

here are a few highlights of my little beat ballad/slowie collection, (i prefer the dramatic big orchestra plus kitchen sink production sort of beat ballads)

rocky roberts - if he could

epsilons - i'm so devoted

roy hamilton - the sinner

big maybelle - oh lord what are you doing

dee dee warwick - i can't go back

jimmy beaumont - you got too much going for you

roy hamilton - panic is on

Social source share

Also some obvious ones from me....

Brooks O D'ell Watch your step and You better make up your mind

Lou Johnson - various

Eddie Holman I'm not going to worry

Johnny Gilliam anyone?

Jack Montgomery on Barracuda anyone?

Breaking Point (various)

:thumbsup:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

I can't believe trhat nobody has mentioned the best double-sider ......I never loved her anyway/You got too much going for you....by Jimmy Beaumont on US Bang......I remember buying this on a yellow UK London demo off Steve Jefferies at Albrighton, some time back, and me and my late mate Paul Fisher listening to it and flipping it over on our return from said allnighter.......no words but just looks and thoughts needed......Absolute priceless IMHO, and something that remains in my mind forever :yes:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I can't believe trhat nobody has mentioned the best double-sider ......I never loved her anyway/You got too much going for you....by Jimmy Beaumont on US Bang

well, I did, see post #29. Though I have to say that I'm not too keen on "Never loved her anyway". BTW, I have it on a UK London demo.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Marie Knight..A Little Too Lonely.. Musicor

Brooke Benton - Where Does A Man Go To Cry ..RCA

Porgy/ Monarchs - If Its For Real .. Musicor

Gene Anderson - Tell Me That You Love Me...Nu-Tone

ps..If Odds and Ends is a Beat Ballad then i know **** all about music....

Social source share

ps..If Odds and Ends is a Beat Ballad then i know **** all about music....

Some tunes mentioned so far I wouldn't class as beat ballads. But I won't say which ones as I don't want to see this thread to go downhill in a "what defines a beat ballad" discussion. I really love beat ballads (or rock-a-ballads as some record reviewers called them in the 60s) and enjoyed this thread immensely so far. Quite a few tunes/recommendations I didn't know. Played youtube vids of a few and they all went straight on my wants list.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Some tunes mentioned so far I wouldn't class as beat ballads. But I won't say which ones as I don't want to see this thread to go downhill in a "what defines a beat ballad" discussion. I really love beat ballads (or rock-a-ballads as some record reviewers called them in the 60s) and enjoyed this thread immensely so far. Quite a few tunes/recommendations I didn't know. Played youtube vids of a few and they all went straight on my wants list.

Why won't you say...Odds and Ends isn't a beat ballad to my ears, but i'm not that sure, the whole basis of a forum is debate...look your Roman history up

It isn't a crime to disagree, we aren't all Mr Nice guy in here or Mr Ugly...If you haven't the foresight to give an honest opinion ( and live or die by such values) then i suggest the Samaritans Soul Forum may be a more suitable place for you Benji to post......

Social source share

Also some obvious ones from me....

Brooks O D'ell Watch your step and You better make up your mind

Lou Johnson - various

Eddie Holman I'm not going to worry

Johnny Gilliam anyone?

Jack Montgomery on Barracuda anyone?

Breaking Point (various)

:thumbsup:

See post 28. :)

Social source share

While Mr Heartache may be my fave of all time, this almost dead-heats it for me.

If I hear this at the wrong place, at the wrong time, in the wrong frame of mind (or maybe even the right place, at the right time, in the right frame of mind....) it still has the power to create a certain dampness in the tear duct area. Or summat.

Bloody marvellous

[media=]

Social source share

Why won't you say...Odds and Ends isn't a beat ballad to my ears, but i'm not that sure, the whole basis of a forum is debate...look your Roman history up

It isn't a crime to disagree, we aren't all Mr Nice guy in here or Mr Ugly...If you haven't the foresight to give an honest opinion ( and live or die by such values) then i suggest the Samaritans Soul Forum may be a more suitable place for you Benji to post......

You clearly didn't get the meaning of my post. So be it. Feel free to dissect each and every song posted in this thread. I won't. Not needed. I want folks to post their favourite beat ballads. If they don't fit in my criteria of a beat ballad, so what.

If you want to discuss what a beat ballad is and if say odds and ends is one or not, open up a new thread. thank you.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

While Mr Heartache may be my fave of all time, this almost dead-heats it for me.

If I hear this at the wrong place, at the wrong time, in the wrong frame of mind (or maybe even the right place, at the right time, in the right frame of mind....) it still has the power to create a certain dampness in the tear duct area. Or summat.

Bloody marvellous

Anyone remember what Derek Pearson wrote about it in Shades? Something like this song makes grown up man to stand up, sing a long loud and proud and not feeling ashamed about that. I agree.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!