Big Beat Ballads

Chalky/Gerd, thanks for posting some truly awesome beat ballads. Ray Pollard is deep soul in my books, but a gem nonetheless. Jimmy Radcliffe - My ship best version by far. Gave my copy to the missus and regret it right now :wink: . Little Ann is a gem. First heard it on a tape a mate recorded from the Great Yarmouth weekender radio shows back in 1990/1991 and immediately fell in love with it. Tho have to say it's really at the very slow end of what I consider a beat ballad.

Here's another one for you, Rocky Roberts - If he could. Might be a tad too fast for a beat ballad but it's such a full production in your face sort of sound it surely fits in this thread. It's from a western movie "Tom Dollar". The only releases I know are a french EP and an argentinian 33 rpm 7"

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Was going to post the Jerry Butler version of "giving up on love", but in view of the above posts, I'll go with my favourite JB track instead...

"I don't want to hear it anymore"

Dave

[media=]

Crack on Dave and please post Jerry,s version up, great versions posted up by Munchkin but, for my money, Jerry,s version is the Daddy, Jock put it on tape for me about 25 years ago and I have been totally hooked ever since.

Kev

Social source share

has anyone mentioned BEFORE YOU BREAK MY HEART ...........ARTHUR PRYSOCK........tune OF THEM ALL FOR ME....... FAB LIStT OF TUNES THO !!!!!!!!!! ez

Don't think it was mentioned before. agree with you, great tune. mine's a nice Verve demo. Apparently a big belgian popcorn oldie.

Here are a few more not mentioned so far. Some of them pretty poppy/blue eyed but great nonetheless

Dick Hafner - Go 'way tears

Peggy March - Losin' my touch

Maxine Brown's version of Peggy March. Quite different. Don't know if this ever made it on vinyl. Have it on CD only.

Dee Dee Warwick - I can't go back

Social source share

Guest Soul galore brum

Hi Robscellar,

I've been throwing this around with my wife,Jan

.She,s got a good head for 'Beat Ballads ',whereas I'm more random with my playlist.

So here goes,in no particular order,

Paris Blues. Tony Middleton

The Record. H.B.Barnum

I'm A Peace Loving Man. Emanual Lasky

You Better Go. Derek Martin

Looking For You. Garnet Mimms

You Got Too Much Going. Jimmy Beaumont

I Watched You Slowly Slip. Howard Guyton

Loony After Tonight. Jimmy Radcliffe

There's more. I'll sleep on it.

Steve and Jan Glover

Social source share

Guest Soul galore brum

Hi Robscellar,

I've been throwing this around with my wife,Jan

.She,s got a good head for 'Beat Ballads ',whereas I'm more random with my playlist.

So here goes,in no particular order,

Paris Blues. Tony Middleton

The Record. H.B.Barnum

I'm A Peace Loving Man. Emanual Lasky

You Better Go. Derek Martin

Looking For You. Garnet Mimms

You Got Too Much Going. Jimmy Beaumont

I Watched You Slowly Slip. Howard Guyton

Loony After Tonight. Jimmy Radcliffe

There's more. I'll sleep on it.

Steve and Jan Glover

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

not sure if its a beat ballad or deep soul but i always loved

Johnnie Jackson And The Blazers ft Merle Spears -wizdom of a fool . there is a clip on youtube if you want to listen , youtube is blocked in work :)

Here ya go mate.

Nice but I wouldn't call it a Beat Ballad myself, more of a Blues Ballad. If you like that then you'll most likely enjoy Merle Spear's "It's Just A Matter of Time"

[media=]

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Here ya go mate.

Nice but I wouldn't call it a Beat Ballad myself, more of a Blues Ballad. If you like that then you'll most likely enjoy Merle Spear's "It's Just A Matter of Time"

[media=]

Correct. Very reminiscent of Bobby Bland. Beautiful record.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Crack on Dave and please post Jerry,s version up, great versions posted up by Munchkin but, for my money, Jerry,s version is the Daddy, Jock put it on tape for me about 25 years ago and I have been totally hooked ever since.

Kev

Kev, posted JB earlier (post #47) ... you must pay more attention :D

Agree with ya mate, Jerry Butler for me is the tops on this. Quirky little number by Little Jr Jesse as well which has grown on me. compared to the other cuts it sounds a bit oddball but I kinda like it mainly because it is a bit different.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

These Certainly Deserve To Be Mentioned........

Quality....

Clay Hunt-Since I`ve Lost You-Kapp

Dean Courtney-My Soul Concerto-Rca Victor

The Juveniles-Yes I Believe-Jerden

Susan Barret-A Grain Of Sand-Rca Victor

Roger Pace-You Better Know What Your Doing-Twirl

Cissy Houston-One Broken Heart For Sale-Kapp

Springfield Rifle-That`s All I Really Need-Jerden

Ron Alstone-One More Tear-Phillips

Dream Team-There He Is-Gregory

Inex Foxx-I See You My Love-Symbol

Jean Dushone-As I Watch You Walk Away-Chess

The Springers-Every Night & Day-Ves-Trad

Social source share

If there could be a best "beat ballad" LP how about this one - UK Stateside -"An Album Full Of Soul".

Brooks O'Dell, Freeman Brothers, Big Dee Irwin plus great tracks from Clyde McPhatter,Betty Harris, Gladys Knight and Eddie Billups.

Got it from Cologne, Germany, near mint condition.It has a price sticker from Cob Record Centre,Porthmadog for 90 pence. Paid twenty times that but still not bad . Anyone know what it goes for?

Also anyone know who at EMI in the sixties compiled this ,and others like it. I read somewhere it was Trevor Churchill, but this LP has Dave Godin's taste all over it.

Rick

post-16601-0-56420100-1344461304_thumb.j

post-16601-0-33957400-1344461345_thumb.j

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!