Little Richard - (Artist Of The Week)

I was a fan of Little Richard's ever since I saw him in the 'Dont Knock The Rock' movie in the late 50s. The movie itself is boring as are the acts appearing except for LR. I remember the cinema erupting when he came on. He was definitely the 'Innovator' and his style influenced many artists who became Soul legends later e.g. Otis Redding, Joe Tex. The flip side of Tutti Frutti, I'm Just A Lonely Guy is as good as any Deep Soul epic IMO, his last line being going to 'jump in the river and drown'. Also Can't Believe You Wanna Leave and Send Me Some Lovin' (covered by Sam Cooke) are great powerful soul ballads.

I joined the LR fan club in the 60s run from Leicester and the Fanzine was issued monthly or therabouts, I've attached a scan. Obviously I like his Okeh recordings and bought Get Down With It as a new release but for me you just can't beat those wild early recordings.

post-430-0-53182000-1341137596_thumb.jpg

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Always liked this underplayed one...superb Northern...some of you lilttle soldiers out there may well recognise the backing track as well :thumbsup:

Social source share

Vee Jay 698 ...... one of the greatest SOUL records in the history of da universe.

[media=]

Always loved this Dave, first heard it on a Channel 4 documentary in the early 80,s taped it on VHS, still got the tape.Great shout, BTW, did you get CD, put 1st class stamp on it.

Kev

Social source share

Vee Jay 698 ...... one of the greatest SOUL records in the history of da universe.

[media=]

Absolutely brilliant tune......................unfortunately a lot of people dismiss LR as just pure R&R....................think he deserves more credit personally!!!

:yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

I first saw Little Richard in 'The Girl Can't Help It'. Just like Slim said, when he came on the place caught fire. My mum was wondering if she should get me outa there, but I wouldn't go.

Hey, Jayne Mansfield was in that film!

In a long-distance argument with Jerry Lee Lewis, years later, obviously set up by the programme makers, Richard cited the number of imitators he was plagued with as proof that he was the greatest. "I bet Jerry never rolled into town and the guy says 'You ain't him. I saw him last week and he was charging 50 cents less than you!'" I wonder if he ever found out that James Brown was one of those guys.

All hail Little Richard, one of the few who can seriously claim to have changed the face of music.

Social source share

• 7 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!