Jj Jackson Uk Polydor 45, & Whee; C;assic

:hatsoff2: HI ALL UK POLYDOR 56718, was listed and issued as "but it's alright" as the A side twice as there is a MOJO copy, and "do the BOOGALOO" as the B SIDE, HOWEVER there are 2 POLYDOR RELEASES OF THE RECORD?

As you can see my copy has the B listed as the A? so which one is the rarest, there are definitely 2 different copies :g:post-13241-0-13252600-1341205391_thumb.j

Social source share

The tracks on this 45 were recorded in the UK in 65 or 66 ..

.... Jerome (JJ) had started out working in the US (New York), writing songs with other guys well known on the NS scene.

Before long he was working with Lew Futterman (usually a producer for jazz artists) with the likes of singers Brother Jack McDuff & Jimmy Witherspoon. Jimmy Witherspoon visited the UK and in 1965 his LP 'Spoon in London' was released. I believe that tracks for this album were cut in London in 65 and that JJ came over here (along with Lew F) to work with Spoon.

Whilst here he wrote "But It's Alright" with UK based Pierre Tubbs (well known down the years on the UK music scene & in groups that cut for Go & Strike labels here).

Anyway JJ's recording of "But It's Alright" went to #22 on the UK pop charts during November of 1966 after the cut had become a massive UK club track. I think, when the deal to release this 45 was 1st done with Polydor, that "..Boogaloo" was selected as the A side. "But It's Alright" was soon picked by DJ's here as the side to play & so the 45 was issued again with the A & B sides reversed. Due to its UK success, it was licensed for release by Calla in the US. The song made such an impact that a number of cover versions of it were released, one of these by Eddie Floyd,

In 1968, Jerome secured a US deal with Warner Bros / Loma and "But It's Alright" was issued again (in the US & UK) on Warners.

So the answer to your q is ... the Polydor 45 with "But It's Alright" as the A side is the common version.

Social source share

Before he came to the UK, JJ wrote songs in conjunction with Sidney Barnes. A song the pair had been working on was "Come See Me". This was 'finished off' in the UK with the help of Pierrre Tubbs. JJ cut it himself and it was released on his 1st UK album .... but it was also cut by UK group the Pretty Things and their version made the Top 50 of the UK pop chart in 1966 after being released on 45.

Some top UK musicians played on JJ's UK recordings andbecame members of his backing group, the Greatest Little Soul Band in the Land. One of these guys was Dick Morrissey (who would later go on to form Morrissey Mullen).

Social source share

J J Jackson / Sidney Barnes related info from a piece I did on Sidney ....

.... Sidney befriended George Kerr who had been in a recording group; the Serenaders. The group had fallen apart and so the pair decided to recruit some new members and re-establish the outfit. Timothy Wilson was persuaded to leave Tiny Tim & the Hits to join them and Howard Curry became their fourth member. Signed to Riverside, the group had a single released early in 1963, "Two Lovers Make One Fool", but it was their songwriting abilities that would get them noticed.

In Spring 1963, Raynoma Gordy moved to New York and established a Jobete Music office in the Brill Building. When Sidney learnt of this, George and he went straight down there. Realising that the pair weren't just the creative force behind the Serenaders but that they were also the business brains in the group, she signed them both to deals with Jobete. The group was also part of the deal and so late in 1963, they found themselves in Motown's Detroit studio cutting songs under Berry Gordy's direction. Thus, in January 1964, the Serenaders launched the new Motown label; V.I.P. with their 45 "If Your Heart Says Yes / I'll Cry Tomorrow" (VIP # 25002). Berry & Raynoma's relationship was in trouble though and she had to make a success of the New York venture. She decided that Sidney and George would be much more useful undertaking day to day creative and administrative duties, so she steered them in that direction. Told to find and sign more talent, the pair were promised that they would earn more money doing this than performing. When it became known that a couple of New Jersey locals held important positions at Jobete's New York office, a steady stream of singers started to drop by.

George Clinton, Norma Jenkins and J J Jackson were soon signed up with the likes of Doris Duke, Eddie Holman plus Porgy & the Monarchs also coming by. Raynoma hooked up with Eddie Singleton and they were now making the major decisions about the New York based enterprise, but Berry wasn't too happy with her new relationship. Sidney went about developing a strong writing partnership with George Clinton and things seemed set to take off when Berry cut off the supply of cash the New York office needed to survive. Raynoma tried to get around this problem by pressing up some copies of Mary Well's latest hit but Berry had her arrested for bootlegging and sent some guys in to close the office down (in July / August 1964). This predicament resulted in Sidney and George Clinton's writing partnership breaking up as Sidney decided to stay in New York, whilst George relocated to Detroit. Teaming up with J J Jackson, Sidney was soon back into his stride and the new pairing quickly started turning out great songs. The Soul Sisters recorded "Think About The Good Times" (Sue), the Sparkels "Try Love (One More Time)" (Old Town), Billy Prophet "What Can I Do" (Sue), the Gypsies "Jerk It" (Old Town), Sandra Phillips "You Succeeded" (Broadway) and Mary Wells cut both "My Minds Made Up" and "Me Without You" for 20th Century Records. Leiber and Stoller signed the pair (as songwriters) to their new Red Bird / Blue Cat Company. Here Sidney met Jeff Barry and Phil Spector and further developed his writing and production skills. He also had a couple of 45's released on Red Bird; "You'll Always Be In Style" and "I Hurt On The Other Side" both of which would go on to become top Northern Soul plays down the years. Sidney promoted "I Hurt On The Other Side" by doing a few live shows and this wetted his appetite for performing again. Soon, he found himself a member of the Fiestas (who recorded for Old Town) and out on the road doing one nighters on the chitlin circuit with Gladys Knight & the Pips, Little Richard and the Shirelles.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

EXTRA RELATED INFO .........

Jerome Louise (JJ) wrote 137 songs that are registered with BMI, lots of these being joint efforts with Sidney Barnes. He also wrote with Jerry Ragavoy & Windsor King.

JJ also has 12 songs registered with ASCAP, some of these also being co-written with Sidney Barnes (some others were composed in conjunction with Lew Futterman & Jack McDuff).

Pierre Richard Roman Tubbs (who along with JJ) wrote "But It's Alright" went on to work with other people on the UK soul scene. He has 36 songs registered with BMI. Among these is "People Are People" which he co-wrote with the guy who recorded by it; Al Matthews.

Some mystery still surrounds JJ .... it's stated that he was born in New York but I believe this is wrong. He seems to have been born on November 8th, 1942, in Gilette, Arkansas.

He has been mixed up at times with the West Coast based soul singer June Jackson (H J Jackson).

He went on to be popular in Brazil where he performed under the name of 'Leo Robinson'.

Sidney Barnes lost touch with him years ago and has stated that JJ went through some rough times in the 70's. It has long been thought that JJ died years ago, however it is written in places that has was recently known to be living in Jacksonville, Florida.

.... ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE ?

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

EXTRA RELATED INFO .........

He went on to be popular in Brazil where he performed under the name of 'Leo Robinson'.

This is a different person all together.

Leo Robinson, the Brazilian JJ Jackson, was born in Gillette, Arkansas, November 1942. He dropped the Robinson family name in 1982 at the behest of a Brazilian TV station for whom he'd written a theme tune to a successful TV show. Why they chose this name and why Robinson went along with it is unclear.

Here's his website (in Portuguese):

https://www.jjjackson.com.br

The 'real' JJ Jackson heralds from Brooklyn, NY, and was born 8th April 1941.

Remembering the 'real' JJ Jackson's immense size, a quick look at photos of the two performers makes it immediately apparent that they are different people (unless a stint at Weight Watchers proved to be an unparalleled success!).

Also, listening to any song from both back-to-back is a dead giveaway that they really aren't the same people.

Hope this helps clarify things.

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

Thanks for the clarification.

As I stated there is a lot of mystery / mis-information surrounding Jerome Louise (JJ) Jackson; Leo Robinson / JJ Jackson and June (H J) Jackson.

I'd say then that it must be true that JJ Jackson passed away years ago.

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL Can I say to both of you, for one of the best replies, to a posting since I joined SOULSOURCE, A really enjoyable read, it;s a shame that ROBERT does not write for RECORD COLLECTOR, looking at the POLYDOR 45, AGAIN! I am sure that it is only a collectors of UK released SOUL, would bother about such a small matter of the letter A&B on a 67 classic, but it is this stuff that gets a response. also collectors like MICK S get great pleasure searching for this sort of release, or equivalent, like the A on a red Atlantic copy of "sweet soul music" for example?

thanks again for taking the time to reply, :rofl: DAVE

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not directly related to this thread... but as far as weird UK releases go... I stumbled across a UK demo of The Shadows "Scotch On The Socks" just the other day... and it had a big "B" instead of an "A" on it. Perhaps well known to everyone, but it must be one of the earliest instances of a "double b-side" (¡ la Stiff Records 10 years later). It just looks so weird!

post-1392-0-19133100-1341257125_thumb.jp

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI Yes it a well know record by dealers, why it exists, is to cash in on the success of the BEATLES who released double A sides. a sort of music industry joke! value, even though I have had 2 copies and they are what they are, no more than £5 but If you cut the dealers out of the picture, a Shads Fan will give much more? :D DAVE
Social source share

Guest john s

:hatsoff2: HI Yes it a well know record by dealers, why it exists, is to cash in on the success of the BEATLES who released double A sides. a sort of music industry joke! value, even though I have had 2 copies and they are what they are, no more than £5 but If you cut the dealers out of the picture, a Shads Fan will give much more? :D DAVE

I'll have as many copies as you've got for a fiver each mate! :lol:

Social source share

Not directly related to this thread... but as far as weird UK releases go... I stumbled across a UK demo of The Shadows "Scotch On The Socks" just the other day... and it had a big "B" instead of an "A" on it. Perhaps well known to everyone, but it must be one of the earliest instances of a "double b-side" (¡ la Stiff Records 10 years later). It just looks so weird!

post-1392-0-19133100-1341257125_thumb.jp

Thats a great record as well actually.

Social source share

I'll have as many copies as you've got for a fiver each mate! :lol:

:hatsoff2: HI How did I no that someone would come back and say that old chestnut? sounds to me that you are a fan, so if you read my posting again, it states fans will give more?? however I also was talking in the past, not the present here & now, but as a fan I have a few bits about the place if you want them? cheap all collectable, I am being straight with you, over the years the dealers that I no have only asked me for 1 CLIFF & SHADOWS ITEM? and that is the rare HIS LAND LP, The last word on this is the ROCK & ROLL COLLECTORE ARE GETING THIN ON THE GROUND? as the GRIM REAPER gets ever closer? :shhh: DAVE
Social source share

Guest john s

:hatsoff2: HI How did I no that someone would come back and say that old chestnut? sounds to me that you are a fan, so if you read my posting again, it states fans will give more?? however I also was talking in the past, not the present here & now, but as a fan I have a few bits about the place if you want them? cheap all collectable, I am being straight with you, over the years the dealers that I no have only asked me for 1 CLIFF & SHADOWS ITEM? and that is the rare HIS LAND LP, The last word on this is the ROCK & ROLL COLLECTORE ARE GETING THIN ON THE GROUND? as the GRIM REAPER gets ever closer? :shhh: DAVE

Indeed. But most 'old-school' dealers wouldn't know what that 45 was, and that it's been a 'mod spin' for years.

There are certainly some rock & roll bits I'd grab, most I wouldn't touch!

Edited by john s
Social source share

Indeed. But most 'old-school' dealers wouldn't know what that 45 was, and that it's been a 'mod spin' for years.

There are certainly some rock & roll bits I'd grab, most I wouldn't touch!

:hatsoff2: HI I Hope you are refering to JJ JACKSON & not the SHADOWS? they are so greebo with Brilcream. at the end of the day, this is SOULSOURCE :thumbup: DAVE
Social source share

Before he came to the UK, JJ wrote songs in conjunction with Sidney Barnes. A song the pair had been working on was "Come See Me". This was 'finished off' in the UK with the help of Pierrre Tubbs. JJ cut it himself and it was released on his 1st UK album .... but it was also cut by UK group the Pretty Things and their version made the Top 50 of the UK pop chart in 1966 after being released on 45.

Some top UK musicians played on JJ's UK recordings andbecame members of his backing group, the Greatest Little Soul Band in the Land. One of these guys was Dick Morrissey (who would later go on to form Morrissey Mullen).

'JJ Jackson - Come see me' was also released in the UK as a 45 on STRIKE (nice label too)

Social source share

When Loma/WB in the US issued "But Its Alright" in the late 60's it was backed with JJ's rather good instrumental version of the Temptations "Aint Too Proud To Beg" .... instead of "Do The Boogaloo".

In Australia, "But Its Alright/Do The Boogaloo" was issued first on Festival in 1966 (extremely rare!) and then more commonly on Australian Warners Bros orangel label in 1969 as "But It's Alright/Aint Too Proud To Beg".

Marcia Hines did a nice version on the same LP she released in Australia in 1975 which contained "You Gotta Let Go".

Social source share

When Loma/WB in the US issued "But Its Alright" in the late 60's it was backed with JJ's rather good instrumental version of the Temptations "Aint Too Proud To Beg" .... instead of "Do The Boogaloo".

Just to clarify - WB released it. It didn't come out on Loma. And agreed, it is a rather good instrumental. Also got released in France with the instrumental on the flip.

Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest thomasjacques

This is a different person all together.

Leo Robinson, the Brazilian JJ Jackson, was born in Gillette, Arkansas, November 1942. He dropped the Robinson family name in 1982 at the behest of a Brazilian TV station for whom he'd written a theme tune to a successful TV show. Why they chose this name and why Robinson went along with it is unclear.

Here's his website (in Portuguese):

https://www.jjjackson.com.br

The 'real' JJ Jackson heralds from Brooklyn, NY, and was born 8th April 1941.

Remembering the 'real' JJ Jackson's immense size, a quick look at photos of the two performers makes it immediately apparent that they are different people (unless a stint at Weight Watchers proved to be an unparalleled success!).

Also, listening to any song from both back-to-back is a dead giveaway that they really aren't the same people.

Hope this helps clarify things.

Russell,

The facts about J.J. Jackson DO appear confusing, but I think you have also waded into some of that confusion. The J.J. Jackson who was born April 8, 1941, in New York is actually the late MTV VJ and longtime FM DJ and died on March 17, 2004 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.J._Jackson_(media_personality). The best information on J.J. Jackson the singer appears to indicate he was born in Gillett, Arkansas, a little over a year after the other J.J. on Nov. 8, 1942. I believe the similar ages are part of the cause of the confusion.

Thomas

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!