Who Remembers Hernies In Leeds And What Are Your Memories?

• 2 weeks later...

Got a flyer with me and Dennis Billingham as the DJs (courtesy of Pete Dillon)

I was DJing when the 'squad' raided the club. To get to the dj area you had to remove some vertical wooden poles - it took the coppers quite a long time to figure this out whilst I continued to play some sounds. Seem to remember the last tune I played was 'Goodbye baby' on Chariot.

Happy, fun filled days.

Julian

Social source share

First time at HERNIES , the Espresso and tunes were provided by SWISSH !! On arrival the cub was full ," no one else to be Admitted" were the remarks by the Doormen/Bouncers ? Fortunately I started a conversation with ANDREW O` TOOLE after which he gave me His Membership Card , this got me into the night ! We had many attendances at the venu , usually ending up at that local cafe Bar or with the disKatron in the bus station ( Untill the transport Systems were up and Running ) . one night that springs to mind - Little BOB STEVENS,with his record shop Co-worker plus Ian Levine (the Guest Spot ) This was the first time on hearing his New Big Spin " Out On The Floor" - DOBIE GRAY ! . Swish was playing I`m Availlable - George Byrd ( T.R.C. ) as a cover -up, He played some Better Tunes than the Main dance Area !

Social source share

Nope you are wrong there mate! I was the coffee culprit..I'm ashamed to say. Swish hung around there but usually me..Ask Easty , he and Denis Billingham ran the club, gave me the job. No bouncers just a locked wooden door with a peep hole..if you weren't wanted they didnt open the door, hence why the squad took so long to get in hahaha... Scotch Jim & Andy Toole hung around the door area in case of any trouble though. The coffee bar had an old dansette or similar type player in the corner which we played tunes on..but in general , weren't allowed to play stuff which conflicted with the dance-floor upstairs so mainly slower, deep stuff.

Do I know you ? pm me ...How many times did you go to Hernies?

Edited by PeteDillon
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Dont want to turn this into another Soash/Metro type thread..just that is how it was mate sorry.I used to finish work friday teatime and go straight to the club, have my tea there and that was it , out for the weekend... I remember Jeff King selling his stuff in the coffee bar..I put on Leon Haywood and Denis ranting cos people were dancing down in the coffee bar and not upstairs ..maybe Swish was there, he def went to Hernies but didnt work the coffee bar, to my knowledge anyway..I'll ask him. Thinking about it, he could possibly have put on a few records while I was serving customers maybe.

Also recall Flask Atkinson turning up after his 'expose' in the local paper about the 'Soul Sect!' coming to Leeds..poor Flash he thought he was giving us publicity..he was!! Denis & Easty nearly killed him..sadly he did that himself later. I recall Ian Levine being there and asking if he could dj..Cant recall if he did though..Julian Bentley and Denis did most of it..I have a newspaper cutting from Yorkshire Evening Post ,that I will put on here when I get my scanner working..it has an interview with Phil Holt and I think Rob Slater..reporters were in the club the week after Flash's contribution..

Edited by PeteDillon
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Julian

Of all people I shoud have a pretty good memory of the events of that day. As usual on the day of one of the allnighters we were down there early when, as far as I can remember, Flash came in with a copy of the paper. We all looked at it in a state of total shock. Our immediate response was " What the f*ck have you done this for?". Flash, surprisingly, thought he'd done us a favour by advertising the gig and couldn't believe our reaction, he was a nice lad though but obviously wasn't the brightest candle in the box as his subsequent mixing of water and mains electricity proved, but I can't remember Kim being involved, but then it was forty years ago!

Edited by easty
Social source share

Heres an article that appeared in the local paper after Flash's revelations the previous Saturday!

cant get this any bigger but if you double-click image then use options to view large version, its then readable.

Edited by PeteDillon
Social source share

I'd forgotten how funny this article was with it's references to people wandering round with glazed eyes. It was interesting that the reporters never approached the management, Dennis and myself, for a comment. Or maybe we were just hiding! I only remember two people getting busted, one because he'd carried his gear in a precription pill bottle, with his name on, which he had thrown on the floor when the squad came in. They then picked it up called out his name and hey presto, and another who got searched, got the sticker but then lost it and when he asked for a new one was searched again and they found one pill in his pocket. The best thing about being "the management" was that I could move round the club during the raid which I did whilst singing "just like Drynamyl and Duraphet" to the tune of Just like Romeo and Juliet and the squad not liking everyone laughing.

Edited by easty
Social source share

having re-read the article, I mistakenly stated earlier it mentions Phil Holt and Rob Slater..my mind must be going after all these years! its a Phil from Doncaster and Dave from Barnsley..could this have been Phil Rylatt maybe? and possibly Ebby from Barnsley (Easty's suggestion)

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Phil

Long time no see, hope you're keeping well. As Pete said I'm sure the Dave from Barnsley was Ebby but nice to know that you managed to keep a relatively low profile that night!! Dennis said that you'd facebooked him a while ago and that you were living somewhere down Nottingham from what i remember. Are you still doing the Nothern scene or are you past it now?

Social source share

Not involved with any scene other than dancing the day away with the Grandkids. Did go down into Nottingham in July for a meet up with the old gang down there. Matchy turned up with Eric, had a great time and got persuaded to go to the Torch reunion in Oct so bring it on! Glad you're all of sound mind and health.

Social source share

Great to hear from you. I'll see you at the Torch do as I'm going with Pete Dillon and Paul Rowan. Paul's deejaying and I've got the job of helping him as my collection is still playable. If you fancy meeting up before then and practicing your grandad dancing I'm deejaying at the Central Alldayer this Sunday from 1.30 to 2.30.

Social source share

• 3 years later...

Hi There ( Pete Dillon ) , as you Replied ( Almost Four Years Ago ) You Certainly Were in Charge , " Downstairs - In The Coffee Bar Lounge "  , Swish Was Playing Some Sounds - Too Enable Him To Sell Them ! .  Spoke With You Each Time We Attended ( Four Or Five Times ) .

Comming Up From Hyde/Manchester , We  Used To Pal On With The " Barnsley Crowd " Little Allan With His Smart Blazer & " The Mighty Bub " ( Jacket Not So Fitted ) ! ,

When We Started " Twisted Wheel Revival " Nights At  HYDE UNITED Football Club , MATCHY & BUB Were The First Guest Dj`s .   Don`t Recollect Seeing KIM DENT On The Nights We Attended " HERNIE`s  ? But I Recall TOMMY BIRCHALL In The Wheel , Springing Back Up -From A Backdrop Only To Head Butt " KIM "  For Not Dellivering The Copy Of " Comming Back To Me Baby - Stateside" That He Had Paid For Four Weeks Prior ! .    Purchased Quite A  Few Tracks From " FLASH"  , Eventually Swoping My 

A.B.C. Demo Of " Soul Self Satisfaction - Earl Jackson " ( The Copy I Took To -Up The Junction )Unknown Sound At The Time ? ) He Gave Me Fifteen Singles For It , Included Were " Jason Knight - Our Love Is Getting Stronger  "  " What Is This -Bobby Womack " " In Orbit " Other Gems That Evade Me At The Mo .

2003_0317WheelVinyl0024.JPG

2003_0317WheelVinyl0022.JPG

2011_1210Image1025.JPG

Edited by earlvandykes6
Addition Of Photo`s
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!