Prophets - Fever Info Plz

Noticed theres a few issues of this, with different artist names, uk/us etc. im even currently listening to the 'creation' dub, with added brass and a bit of guitar, what the f##k was that about?! kills it for me personally... So what was the original release? how was the track discovered etc? look forward to all the wisdom! (ps im looking to buy a copy too as although its very well known its such a tremendous achievement in music, cant help singing along to this one!)

Regards, Ollie

Social source share

The Prophets led by Billy Scott had a regional US hit with the song in 1968. By 1972 the track was huge in the UK.

Selecta Disc Nottingham approached US distributor Eric to acquire the rights. Owned Bill Buster went one step further, having MFSB player Bobby Martin remix the master renaming the group Creation.

Following several thousand imports sold, UK Stateside picked it up for British release. Shortly after, Selecta's own Black Magic label issued it too.

On a final note, it was to be used as the opening song of the KFC 'Chicken Got Soul' TV campaign several years ago, sadly being dropped at the last minute by my 5th choice I Can't Get Away- Bobby Garrett.

'Fever' is one of the most uplifting Northern sides of all time.

Edited by The Golden 101
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I seem to remember that strangely enough with the label being known as a re-issue label the first rel was indeed on Eric ?

I've seen that bandied about as fact as well, but it's not true.

The ERIC release of "I Got The Fever" has got cat# ERIC 5009.

ERIC 5008 is Georgia Prophets "Music With Soul" b/w "California" and that 45 was originally released on CAPRICORN in 1970.

ERIC 5002 is the Assembled Multitude's version of "Overture From Tommy" and that track is from 1970.

Further to this, the Eric label was reportedly started in 1969.

The Prophets 45 on Smash is from 1968.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Just though you might want to know, I have a version by Roy Smith who joint wrote the song on DELPHI (Oxford Nights etc) which is a fantastic version goes down well wherever I play it. Its a crossover sound and very hard to get. Mucho ££££££££ well worth looking out for.

Cheers Paul

• Helpful 1
Social source share

So where does the BSP release fit into all these others. (Before or after Smash ?)

Kegsy

The a-side on the BSP release is from the SMASH 45 from 1968.

The b-side on the BSP release is from the CAPRICORN 45 from 1970.

According to some discographies the BSP release is from 1979.

In any case it's a reissue.

Social source share

• 1 year later...

this is why i love this website. fantastic info, as always. so whats the difference between the smash issues? theres pink and yellow as far as i know, i imagine the yellow was a reissue?

As far as I know the yellow ones are boots, I haven't seen a re-issue on Smash, I would imagine it would be with the small Smash logo on top.

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

Just though you might want to know, I have a version by Roy Smith who joint wrote the song on DELPHI (Oxford Nights etc) which is a fantastic version goes down well wherever I play it. Its a crossover sound and very hard to get. Mucho ££££££££ well worth looking out for.

Cheers Paul

https://youtu.be/SVLIN6Srnpo

Not bad once you get past the intro :thumbsup:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

When the late Billy Scott was on my show some 15 years ago, he told me the record sold at least 200,000. Mainly in the Carolinas/Georgia.

I remember telling him, we had similar scenarios here ie Jimmy James- A Man Like Me selling more than 50.000 despite never charting.

Stangely though, this is one that despite being an absolute giant for 20 years, now struggles and appears to have lost its fan base.

Not me though.....its the dogs...STILL! :D

Social source share

When the late Billy Scott was on my show some 15 years ago, he told me the record sold at least 200,000. Mainly in the Carolinas/Georgia.

I remember telling him, we had similar scenarios here ie Jimmy James- A Man Like Me selling more than 50.000 despite never charting.

Stangely though, this is one that despite being an absolute giant for 20 years, now struggles and appears to have lost its fan base.

Not me though.....its the dogs...STILL! :D

Kev

If you're an old 70s dog then this is up there with the best.   :thumbsup:

Social source share

Prophets:  Falls into that category of fantastic up-tempo 'banger' that because it's cheap and everyone knows all the words it gets shunted out of DJ boxes. But when collectors get together and are playing 45s, it's always 45s like this that get the old vinyl-heads nodding at each other at the bar wishing they were 18 again!     

I played it last year. 

Year before I played 'Moody Woman'

Year before that I played 'Shotgun and The Duck'

Year before that I played 'I'll Never Fall In Love Again'

Etc.. Etc...

The day there's no room for these gems to be dropped amongst the rarer, equally quality 45s, is the time I'll give it all up.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Prophets:  Falls into that category of fantastic up-tempo 'banger' that because it's cheap and everyone knows all the words it gets shunted out of DJ boxes. But when collectors get together and are playing 45s, it's always 45s like this that get the old vinyl-heads nodding at each other at the bar wishing they were 18 again!     

I played it last year. 

Year before I played 'Moody Woman'

Year before that I played 'Shotgun and The Duck'

Year before that I played 'I'll Never Fall In Love Again'

Etc.. Etc...

The day there's no room for these gems to be dropped amongst the rarer, equally quality 45s, is the time I'll give it all up.

Regards,

Dave

Couldn't agree more - played it at the Brighouse Ritz 2 months back and it went down a storm

Love this tune ; remember it was available in all sorts of Co-Ops and similar in the deleted cheap racks and I used to sell them at the Pendulum [ Deansgate version ]  in Manchester [ together with Los Canarios and other such ' beauties ' ].

Happy days !

Social source share

Why a yellow demo and a pink demo? See post #3

i think in 1968 smash issued a few yellow demo`s for a short period.....  the festivals youve got the makings of a lover is also yellow.theres a couple more from that time period too but i cant think what off the top of my head

Social source share

i think in 1968 smash issued a few yellow demo`s for a short period.....  the festivals youve got the makings of a lover is also yellow.theres a couple more from that time period too but i cant think what off the top of my head

Yes, you're right, they did.

post-4408-0-36388100-1403765123_thumb.jp

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!