Isley Brothers "110Th And Lenox" Does It Exist?

Does anyone know if the record with this title actually exists?

Discographies all refer to it as they all copy each others mistakes :lol:, but I've never seen or heard of it anywhere and it's not on their LP at the time.

BMI lists the title as a Wally Roker song, and whilst he was working for Scepter at around the time, it seems unlikely this record was issued with this alternative B side - unless someone can convince me otherwise?

Anyone know for sure?

Steve

Social source share

• Replies 28
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Does anyone know if the record with this title actually exists?

Discographies all refer to it as they all copy each others mistakes :lol:, but I've never seen or heard of it anywhere and it's not on their LP at the time.

BMI lists the title as a Wally Roker song, and whilst he was working for Scepter at around the time, it seems unlikely this record was issued with this alternative B side - unless someone can convince me otherwise?

Anyone know for sure?

Steve

where is this listed? it's not on dave rimmer's page. if the answer is "R&B indies" it's probably a relatively accurate listing for that book that they only had one title that didn't exist.

Social source share

Hi Bob, it's on several Wand discographies as an alternative B Side. Haven't checked Big Dave R's one, but basically the other 3-4 including Greg's.

It is listed in soulfulkindamusic wand discography, just not in the specific artist discography. It does seem strange, it's probably not the wally roker song, was he active in the business in 1963, and would he have had a song done by a west coast artist.

I can't find reference to an artist doing the wally roker song either though, if I did there might be some evidence as to a mix up or something, but I can't. Bizarre.

Social source share

Yup, but hold onto your saddle, Wally was working for Scepter at the time though Bob, so it is possible and does add a "twist" (if you'll pardon the Isley Brothers pun!).

In the meantime I'll chalk it up in my book as an 'MWR' - Mythical Wand release.

Social source share

• 2 years later...

It is listed in soulfulkindamusic wand discography, just not in the specific artist discography. It does seem strange, it's probably not the wally roker song, was he active in the business in 1963, and would he have had a song done by a west coast artist.

I can't find reference to an artist doing the wally roker song either though, if I did there might be some evidence as to a mix up or something, but I can't. Bizarre.

Wally Roker started in the music business in 1953, when his group, The Heartbeats, were signed to Rama Records.  He was already writing songs that year.  He was active in the music business from then until today.  He was a songwriter in 1963, working for Scepter-Wand, and also as an independent songwriter.  His songs were sung by artists all over USA.  The Isley Brothers lived and worked in New York (where Roker was, and they were under contract to Wand Records.

I have never seen a pressed record with that title.  I'm wondering if that might have been slated as the original B side, and cancelled for a second choice flip, - never even got to the recording stage, let alone the press run scheduling stage.

Social source share

Wally Roker started in the music business in 1953, when his group, The Heartbeats, were signed to Rama Records.  He was already writing songs that year.  He was active in the music business from then until today.  He was a songwriter in 1963, working for Scepter-Wand, and also as an independent songwriter.  His songs were sung by artists all over USA.  The Isley Brothers lived and worked in New York (where Roker was, and they were under contract to Wand Records.

I have never seen a pressed record with that title.  I'm wondering if that might have been slated as the original B side, and cancelled for a second choice flip, - never even got to the recording stage, let alone the press run scheduling stage.

And thats the point Robb, if the Isleys had recorded that track and it had emerged on a Stargazed of Ace CD of unissued material I might be persuaded, but they didn't - and one of them has put out all of the unissued Isleys stuff. So it's down to journalistic error as far as I can tell.

Steve G, I certainly wasn't casting aspersions on your work...I just feel that I've seen many records listed on Wand discographies that I've never seen any evidence of beyond the discographies. Just Brothers? Earl King "Mama and Papa"? Do these exist?

Matt I haven't contributed to any of the Wand discographies, so I am not asperged LOL  and indeed they are confusing. This is because the company scheduled in releases before they pressed the records or even had the rights to them in some cases. Same is true with Scepter's discography which hosts some ghost releases too. And the discographers have just copied the mistakes across. No Just Brothers on Wand, this was pencilled in before Pete Garris had started his own label Garrison. Earl King's second release doesn't exist either. These were tracks recorded for an aborted Atlantic album…that Toussaint had worked on, but which he couldn't agree a price with Atlantic on. The first 45 didn't sell and Wand passed on the opportunity for the 2nd.  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Don't know if it helps, as I'm not really into discographies but it just happens that earlier today I downloaded the Pete Lawson magazines, 'The Gospel according to Dave Godin' posted on Chalky's website, and noticed that there was a Wand label listing there:

post-7737-0-97587900-1427652300_thumb.pn

The reference to "(or) I'm laughing to keep from crying" seems interesting.

Social source share

Don't know if it helps, as I'm not really into discographies but it just happens that earlier today I downloaded the Pete Lawson magazines, 'The Gospel according to Dave Godin' posted on Chalky's website, and noticed that there was a Wand label listing there:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-03-29 at 19.00.14.png

That listing has it listed as 131A rather than B.  That would indicate that it was originally slated to be the B side, and cancelled (most likely before it was even scheduled).  Maybe it was slated before the recording session, and then junked in favour of the ultimate B side, and that song never even got recorde?  That would be very strange.  Usually songs are, at least recorded, before they are slated.  But, there is no evidence that song was recorded.

Social source share

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-03-29 at 19.00.14.png

Yes another copied error from Billboard I am afraid. 

Social source share

That listing has it listed as 131A rather than B.  That would indicate that it was originally slated to be the B side, and cancelled (most likely before it was even scheduled).  Maybe it was slated before the recording session, and then junked in favour of the ultimate B side, and that song never even got recorde?  That would be very strange.  Usually songs are, at least recorded, before they are slated.  But, there is no evidence that song was recorded.

Yes another copied error from Billboard I am afraid. 

Thanks both, helps put that in context.

Social source share

• 3 years later...
Guest Kim Rober Manning

I know this is a very old posting, but figured I'd post anyway--this B-Side does exist.  I just found a copy yesterday.  It's not listed on discogs or 45cat, and I was searching for info about it when I came upon this board.  

Social source share

16 minutes ago, Kim Rober Manning said:

I know this is a very old posting, but figured I'd post anyway--this B-Side does exist.  I just found a copy yesterday.  It's not listed on discogs or 45cat, and I was searching for info about it when I came upon this board.  

A great opening post that will get people on here salivating for more information .👍

Social source share

Does "110th and Lenox Avenue" contain a vocal by the Isleys or is this an instrumental track?  It isn't listed in Joel Selvin's "Here Comes The Night" which has a very extensive Bert Berns discography.  Also, the only other time I've seen The I.B. Special listed as an artist was on "Spanish Twist" which was an instrumental version of "Twist and Shout" - 

i.b. special.jpg

Social source share

On 12/11/2018 at 21:40, the yank said:

Does "110th and Lenox Avenue" contain a vocal by the Isleys or is this an instrumental track?  It isn't listed in Joel Selvin's "Here Comes The Night" which has a very extensive Bert Berns discography.  Also, the only other time I've seen The I.B. Special listed as an artist was on "Spanish Twist" which was an instrumental version of "Twist and Shout" - 

i.b. special.jpg

From the 45 that is listed on eBay it states that 110th and Lenox Avenue is an instrumental take on Twist and Shout 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Dave Raistrick said:

We have a copy in stock:

Wand 131

A) Nobody But Me

B) 110th And Lenox Avenue 

Cond: VG+ but does have a small pressing bubble

Does anyone have an idea of value? 

Steve G? 

Regards

Dave 

Well I don't think I've never seen one and would certainly be interested as a collection filler Dave.

Social source share

16 hours ago, Dave Raistrick said:

Does anyone have an idea of value? 

The copy discussed earlier in this thread, turned up on eBay but didn't get any bids at $99. So lower than that I guess:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Isley-Brothers-Nobody-But-Me-110th-and-Lenox-Avenue-7-034-vinyl-45-record-WAND-/163381626226?hash=item260a4dc572%3Ag%3AATQAAOSwpLdb6caX&nma=true&si=s1%2FtLFQQR6B9WK2hqknPSwJ4RAY%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!