Ebay Sellers That Post Using Crap Packaging

Guest Decroco

Guest Decroco

got a tune through from ebay seller with the name of northernsoulz

I have come across some abysmal packaging before but this takes the biscuit

the record came through split and he tried to blame Royal Mail or ME!

What a d**k!!!!!!!!!!!. This is a step up from tissue paper or bog roll.

Any feeling on this?

post-3680-0-24916400-1341430683_thumb.jp

post-3680-0-27492300-1341430704_thumb.jp

Social source share

i also got a 45 today in 2 flimsy bits of thin cardboard & wrapped in brown wrapping paper.

it was so easy to bend.

it was free postage,but for the sake of an extra bit of card or even in a mailer.

it had fragile stamped all over it,your not joking.

Social source share

Had 2 recently, one from the states which was one piece of card bent in half and stapled at the edges, needless to say record was smashed to bits and one from evilbay over here where the record was just put in a jiffy bag, again record destoyed both times blamed the postal services, luckily got money back through paypal but 2 good 40 year old records destroyed.

Social source share

i also got one a couple of months ago from the states , it was in a paper evelope, no card board , nothing , and he didnt belive me when i told him , it was in two pieces , it was patti page demo on styrene, mint as well , then he said his sister posted it not him , i got a refund in the end , but it took some doing , some people are total useless about packing records ,

Social source share

I never understand this, only takes a few minutes even if you don't buy mailers. I must admit that I've done some sloppy looking packages on occasion

but it doesn't take much to make them nearly bulletproof however sloppy they look. I even do it on purpose sometimes when sending overseas so it looks more like a parcel from Auntie Ethel and customs tend to leave it alone.

Glad you negged him. Sadly it will continue, regardless.

Just as a matter of interest I see it got sold on june 16th, and you negged him today. He's in UK , I assume you are. How long did it take to get it there,

assuming it took 5 minutes for you to mail him and him to whine back. Get a voluntary refund?

Social source share

I get bullshit packages all the time, one week I got 3 different cracked records. I used to send a message after getting a poorly packed package (where the record arrived safely) telling the seller that it was not packed well, it was lucky it arrived in one piece, and explaining how to pack correctly. I never got a response ever. On another seller-oriented message board they said that it's pretty obnoxious to receive a message like that after you get the record which I guess is true. Now whenever I buy from someone who is clearly not a professional dealer I send a message with the paypal payment saying the package should be rigid and sandwiched between multiple pieces of stiff corrugated cardboard.

Social source share

also, I've said this before, but I don't understand how anyone can expect something sent in those UK envelope things to arrive safely. The funniest thing is that the filler pads that usually come with them are also not rigid at all.

Social source share

yeah those uk envelope style mailers suck, the amount of times things arrive with pressure warps etc.

the craziest one to come to mind though was when i had two 45s from Wild Records in California sent to me in NZ in just A4 paper envelope, in the xmas post & they arrived safe with just slight warps, a xmas miracle. next time i ordered i made sure to ask that they be sent packed in cardboard.

Social source share

Guest john s

also, I've said this before, but I don't understand how anyone can expect something sent in those UK envelope things to arrive safely. The funniest thing is that the filler pads that usually come with them are also not rigid at all.

I've never had one damaged in the hundreds of 45s I've sent in the UK envelopes - but I always use three decent stiffeners, and make sure the corrugations are at right angles to each other...

I wouldn't put 2 45s in one though...

Edited by john s
Social source share

I've never had one damaged in the hundreds of 45s I've sent in the UK envelopes - but I always use three decent stiffeners, and make sure the corrugations are at right angles to each other...

I've had more than one instance of 45s damaged in that style mailer sent to me (in the US). I don't remember if they were all packed with just 1 45 or more than 1, the ones I can remember there was always more than 1 45 in it.

Social source share

Guest gfarrington

i recieved a record once wrapped in the new york times, just one page, needless to say it arrived in three pieces, the seller said it was ok when he sent it,, well it would have been wouldnt it , but after travelling thousands of miles its a different story knob

Social source share

In a few instances were I have complained about a sellers incompetence to pack, grade. postal charges I have found myself blocked from bidding on future auctions, some sellers are naive (fair enough) inform them I think so they can standardsie their practices (in line with our own), problem is nummerous sellers will use this initiated or uninitiated as a umbrella to to apply their unscrupulouss practices.

Social source share

In a few instances were I have complained about a sellers incompetence to pack, grade. postal charges I have found myself blocked from bidding on future auctions, some sellers are naive (fair enough) inform them I think so they can standardsie their practices (in line with our own), problem is nummerous sellers will use this initiated or uninitiated as a umbrella to to apply their unscrupulouss practices.

This is what I was talking about, I used to politely tell people how to pack after getting a poorly packed record, it just pisses off the seller and makes you look like an asshole. It doesn't accomplish anything. I probably was blocked from at least one seller for it. Now I tell the seller in my payment if it's a junker or new looking seller. That also makes the seller look much worse if a record arrives cracked.

Social source share

I've had ONE arrived damaged and I pack exactly the same as you John, envelope mailer and three pieces of card with the grain placed opposite, the one that got slightly damaged was weird because the guy I was sending it to in Germany said beforehand that if I sent it in a UK type mailer he thought it would arrive damaged. Ended with a little bump on the edge of the record.

Social source share

Records in envelopes, records in pizza boxes, 45 in an LP mailer with no stiffeners, records wrapped in bubble wrap, records with newspaper round them and no sleeve - had all of these; most damaged but some not.

The weirdest was a 45 that arrived in a 5 inch square box :hypo: - do the math (as our American colleagues say).

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Has anyone seen the new craig moerer filler pads? They're insane, like a 1 inch block of corrugated cardboard. I accidentally stepped on one (I am not a lightweight) and it barely crushed in at all.

I just love Craig for doing that, really the only way to send 45s....I also tell the seller every time to pack the 45s well, think it helps...

Social source share

Got a single from France a couple of years ago, sent in a normal thickness paper envelope with a bit of carboard stuck to one side of the record. Came through undamaged. Moerer's other source of income must be from his packaging company.....

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Guest Decroco

Bought a copy of Frank Hutson - 'old man me', payed about 70 quid for it. It arrived with a split that went in a swirl from the center to the outside.

Beside that it was a minter, I could have cried and have never got over it.

I would have rather it gone missing and been in one piece somewhere than be ruined.

Edited by Decroco
Social source share

HAD ONE THE OTHER WEEK IN A PIECE OF WALL-PAPER, INTACT THANK GOODNESS,

GOT 50 BACK IN THE SURFACE MAIL DAYS NO SLEEVES JUST A J. C. PENNY PLASTIC BAG WITH A BIT OF STICKY TAPE,

ALL WERE FINE ,

WHAT HAPPENED TO SURFACE MAIL ANYWAY, SOMETHING TO DO WITH 9-11 I GUESS, PITY AS I CAN'T AFFORD TO BUY MANY LP's NOWADAYS, CANADA STILL DOES SURFACE MAIL ( I THINK )

JOE.

Social source share

Guest Decroco

Got a single from France a couple of years ago, sent in a normal thickness paper envelope with a bit of carboard stuck to one side of the record. Came through undamaged. Moerer's other source of income must be from his packaging company.....

Moerer's packaging is the best that I have ever come across, if the delivery driver ran over it you would still have an intact disc.

Hoorah to Moerer. :thumbsup:

Social source share

One of the worst I have received was a copy of

"DO THE DISCOTHEQUE" - CHUBBY CHECKER - PARKWAY STYRENE MONARCH

OK not going to break the bank if damaged, However.

• Arrived from the U.S.A., Record roling about loose in a 12" LP Sleeve.

• Wrapped, but how it arrived Safe & Sound I'll never know.

• Plus the Postman took the decision to knock rather than try to bend the Exteremely thin Packaging.

All that way and could have tripped at the final hurdle.

Social source share

...I also tell the seller every time to pack the 45s well, think it helps...

Not so sure about this. I feel a little bit pissed off when a buyer tells me how to pack a record when I have 1500 positives and no broken 45's?

I use 2 pieces of thick cardboard and edged with brown packing tape - not had a problem with breaks yet.

I did have one numpty send me a Golden World promo in one of the UK mailers but with no stiffeners. His response to the 2 pieces was - "should have insured it"

Social source share

Has anyone seen the new craig moerer filler pads? They're insane, like a 1 inch block of corrugated cardboard. I accidentally stepped on one (I am not a lightweight) and it barely crushed in at all.

Gotta say Craig Moerer is THEE BEST ive ever come accross , he goes to the very top of the packaging charts.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Decroco

Not so sure about this. I feel a little bit pissed off when a buyer tells me how to pack a record when I have 1500 positives and no broken 45's?

I use 2 pieces of thick cardboard and edged with brown packing tape - not had a problem with breaks yet.

I did have one numpty send me a Golden World promo in one of the UK mailers but with no stiffeners. His response to the 2 pieces was - "should have insured it"

What a c**t!

Social source share

i got this through the door a few years ago in an A4 envelope that somewhere along the line someone had succesfully managed to fold!!

Thankfully it was a cheap copy, not really the point though. After a particularly stern message to the seller I received a full refund and apology.

For all the time it takes to package a recod it beggars belief that stuff like this happens, bloody laziness!!

gary

post-6788-0-41958600-1341868853_thumb.jp

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

This is frightening me. I've had some weird packaging but never any suggestion of disc damage.

It must be getting towards my turn...

Social source share

Gotta say Craig Moerer is THEE BEST ive ever come accross , he goes to the very top of the packaging charts.

i just had my first bad packing experience (it's really messed up) with him, it's almost like they wanted to mess with me. I will wait for their response before posting what happened. Maybe a new incompetent employee.

Social source share

yes! just got the white demo of patti/emblems "tomorrows are gone" from craigmoerer and the two stiffeners made the package like a foot thick!

i totally appreciate his packing - even when it is not a very rare record.

Social source share

oh also, i bought a mint copy of benny spellman's fortune teller from a woman on ebay - and she sent me an empty elvis presley picture sleeve!

it turned ouy she sent my record to some old lady and sent the old lady's elvis pic sleeve to me by mistake. then she asked us to mail the items to each other. i received the record loose in a 8X11 manila envelope with nothing else in it! not even the paper sleeve! the record was broken. i tried to contact the original seller (who was like a junk shop owner), but she had shut down her ebay account.

Edited by ljblanken
Social source share

• 7 months later...

I am a new eBay seller and someone who was an amateur buyer of records. I recently sold some of records on ebay and wondered how i could package them securely and safely .My husband sawed pieces of hardboard to size...i covered them in plastic and they are perfect.I covered them in bubble wrap and then a layer of cardboard.Whats the point in sending records in crap packaging...you may as well throw them in the bin.Some folk just don't value things.It has broke my heart to see lovely records broken in the post through neglect!!! Shameful

Social source share

I am a new eBay seller and someone who was an amateur buyer of records. I recently sold some of records on ebay and wondered how i could package them securely and safely .My husband sawed pieces of hardboard to size...i covered them in plastic and they are perfect.I covered them in bubble wrap and then a layer of cardboard.Whats the point in sending records in crap packaging...you may as well throw them in the bin.Some folk just don't value things.It has broke my heart to see lovely records broken in the post through neglect!!! Shameful

Must weigh a ton though if you are actually using hardboard.

You can buy cut 7" card squares, they are cheaper than ever now if you buy on ebay.

Sounds lazy but if you're sending out 20 to 100 records a week, you get fed up of slicing up card with a stanley knife.

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

I save all my Moerer packaging . I rarely sell anything, but when I do, I'll re-use his mailers everytime. The customer doesn't get charged anything other than the actual cost of postage, I've then done my bit for the enviroment. The packaging is simply the best and money saved all round.

I've had to move them into the shed because I've a fair few of them now.

Social source share

It isn't that heavy..and because i am only selling my own collection there isn't that many. I suppose it is peace of mind. The only problem buyers will face is that they will need to be ancestors of Harry Houdini.

Social source share

i got a 45 the other week in a moerer style bullet proof box. but when i opened the box the record was just pushed into the box and crushed with screwed up pages of a usa glossy magazine and no stiffeners. the mint unplayed store stock 45 that was in the box arrived cracked................but it wasnt done in transit :(

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MissHongkongfuey

Never in my life, have I seen such a badly packaged record. It arrived in a plain A4 envelope, no paper sleeve, no card stiffeners etc. Just a manky of peice of corrugated thin card with the deep grooves against the vinyl. Can't believe it survived the journey and can't believe it still plays well. I wanted to cry when i saw it at first.

post-5150-0-17849000-1363767353_thumb.jp

post-5150-0-46915200-1363767382_thumb.jp

Social source share

only had a couple broke and one of them was in good packaging but you could see an indent in the card where something heavy had been placed on it..on top of the fragile sticker!...had a lot in shit packaging that hves made it including one in a thin card bendy envelope with one piece of bubble wrap...luckily fine,messaged the seller and she thanked me for letting her know as if i'd let her into a big secret ... said she'd wrap them better in future

'on the flipside'..ive also had a lot wrapped SO tight with so much masking/gaffer tape ive been shitting myself opening them in case i break them!

dean

Social source share

I've just received a 45 in a home made taped up piece of cardboard. It was quite sturdy and more than adequate for the job but my gripe is that I'd paid $10 for postage and the atual cost was $6.   When I çomplained, I think the blokes attitude was "Jeeze, it's only 4 bucks". That may well be.......but it's MY fookin' 4 bucks.  I've had enough of getting mugged for shipping now.

I'll pay shipping at cost from now on - NO MORE.  Actual postage plus a dollar for bits, is fair. NO MORE.

if I get mugged for 66% over the odds for shipping on every 45 I buy, then that equates to hundreds of pounds a year that I could spend on records for ME with MY money rather than some shyster making a few bob for fook all.

Rant over.......and breathe........and breathe.

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!