Funky Soul

I'm sure it has it's place, but I'm not sure if it's at a rare soul weekender...... :lol:

(Although I do quite like it, always fits in well at Burnley, and that is one of my favourite nighters)

Edited by MrC
Social source share

Guest john s

some of it is fabulous, some of it is awful.

You need DJs that can actually sort the wheat from the chaff. :thumbsup: Sadly some of them can't. :yes:

Might as well lock the thread there, I'd have thought - can't see that a more sensible (and succinct) post will be made over the next few pages... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Might as well lock the thread there, I'd have thought - can't see that a more sensible (and succinct) post will be made over the next few pages... :thumbsup:

It was quite sensible and a good answer. It is the answer you could give to any genre of this broad scene of ours.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest john s

It was quite sensible and a good answer. It is the answer you could give to any genre of this broad scene of ours.

Exactly.

Social source share

Yep, we've already descended into the meat headed, "funk is shite" comments already. Where's my Judy Street boot, I need to hear some proper music. :facepalm:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

i get confused sometimes with the genres that this scene frets on,is this funky soul ? i think it is and i love it and i love loads more in the same vein,i dont care wat box it has to go in under what description someone wants to give it,i just know that i bloody love it and thats all that matters to me

jason

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The tunes you're talking about Chalky, I think, have in the main been in around forever.

It's a danceable tune with an edge for me call it what you will (funky soul etc etc)

A number spring to mind that are considered classics on the Northern scene:

World Column - So Is The Sun

NF Porter - Keep On Keeping On

Rufus Wood - Before 2001

etc

Always been around just seems a focus on them and some newer / less heard tunes - as you say Emperors New Clothes - but give me that anytime over insipid pop tunes hat passed for soul music!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The tunes you're talking about Chalky, I think, have in the main been in around forever.

It's a danceable tune with an edge for me call it what you will (funky soul etc etc)

A number spring to mind that are considered classics on the Northern scene:

World Column - So Is The Sun

NF Porter - Keep On Keeping On

Rufus Wood - Before 2001

etc

Always been around just seems a focus on them and some newer / less heard tunes - as you say Emperors New Clothes - but give me that anytime over insipid pop tunes hat passed for soul music!

Those three are stupendous Northern Soul records though, funky or not - the example on Tayster above is not.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Soulful funk, funky soul, For me it has to have some kind of soulful feel to it and there are plenty I like and just like all the other pigeon holed genres in the scene I like a bit but not all, out and out wah wah funk NO there is a scene for that already :-)

Social source share

Soulful funk, funky soul, For me it has to have some kind of soulful feel to it and there are plenty I like and just like all the other pigeon holed genres in the scene I like a bit but not all, out and out wah wah funk NO there is a scene for that already :-)

Aren't there known "wah wah funk" records on the scene:

I think parliament or something like that wouldn't get played

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

funk edged is o.k.....example soul power gene redding bell....slotted in sparingly as with well known oldies. It goes wrong when dj's are put on playing whole sets of durge funk/blacksplotation stuff.........the dj and his half dozen mates are in heaven and the rest of us are in hell and played like that it,s certainly WRONG at nighters does what sets of mid tempo durge does KILLS IT....... mixed in very very sparingly if you don,t like it,it,s gone in a flash (we hope). TEZZA

Social source share

Edit: I consider myself pretty open minded and can put up with tunes that I don't personally rate no problem at all but it is getting to the point now where it spoils a night because there is so much of it. Maybe I should just avoid those venues

Isn't that about having DJs who can do a varied set Joan, rather than one trick Ponies?....

PS: Can we called it funky edged northern or something? Funk to me is stuff like Ray Frazier & Shades of Madness, Soul Dynamics, Vernon Garrett, Hard Drivers etc. Fabulous records, by the way "Bunji". :lol:

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I just like soul ......... all soul ........ tall soul, small soul, fat soul, thin soul, gay soul.

If it's good, then play it out .... don't matter if the Wigan stomper / Brid Weekender main room / Stafford / 100 Club fans don't rate it ....

......... don't matter if it's rare or common ...... don't matter if it's 'blaxplotation soul' even ........ if it gets the feet moving, play it.

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

I just like soul ......... all soul ........ tall soul, small soul, fat soul, thin soul, gay soul.

If it's good, then play it out .... don't matter if the Wigan stomper / Brid Weekender main room / Stafford / 100 Club fans don't rate it ....

......... don't matter if it's rare or common ...... don't matter if it's 'blaxplotation soul' even ........ if it gets the feet moving, play it.

Its not about you, as hard as that is to believe, and your taste though is it, its about music played on a scene that I suspect you have had little to do with for 30 years, only 25 years more than me before some smart ass comments!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Helpful 1
Social source share

like the JJ Callier pusherman?

Why would you call that second rate, I get the point you are sort of making, but as this is about scene type records this is going to be judged on differing values of first and second rate than you are making.

Although as always historically and aesthetically you are probably more correct! The Strange World of NS and all that.......

Social source share

Why would you call that second rate, I get the point you are sort of making, but as this is about scene type records this is going to be judged on differing values of first and second rate than you are making.

I didn't call it second rate or offer my opinion of it at all. I was giving it as an example of the "Blacksploitation" style funk which this record clearly is. Does Joan dislike this record?

Social source share

I didn't call it second rate or offer my opinion of it at all. I was giving it as an example of the "Blacksploitation" style funk which this record clearly is. Does Joan dislike this record?

Sorry Bob, I was just judging it on you responding to Joan's quote.

My best advise is don't try and analyse or understand this sort of categorisation of records or styles, its more about NS tastes. Having spent over 20 years around this world I am not actually sure I understand it....

• Helpful 2
Social source share

PS Do you ever sleep? :D :D

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!