Funky Soul

Why this desperate need to pigeon-hole and categorise - it's beyond me. Learn to see the bigger musical picture.

So if you went to see a heavy metal concert and they played a country and western set that would be alright would it?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Never thought I'd ever say this ..... but the Willie West track above MIGHT even top Curtis M's original.

WW's take on the song is so different it almost becomes another song altogether.

Just LOVE LOVE LOVE the flute in it & his voice is so gritty ....

.... a real gem that I'd love to be played out a whole lot more (beats 99% of Wigan Stompers into the ground).

Finally ..a man who gets it :)

It is a great version indeed and I bet Curtis would have loved it too .

P.s

It's Willie Wright Roburt :)

Social source share

Always a delight to see that I'm not alone in appreciating this.

One more time: 'Northern Soul' is not a musical genre - it's a youth cult approaching retirement age. It's a movement that began when people shared a broad common interest in certain styles of music. Now it's mainly full of ageing and cantankerous grumblies who either go on about how "it's not like the old days" or bemoan anything that's different or left of field of anything outside of their increasingly narrow and glaucomic vision. :D

Not a single artist, group or label owner in the 60s ever recorded a song and said "let's do it in the Northern Soul style!"

Why this desperate need to pigeon-hol ctegorise - it's beyond me. Learn to see the bigger musical picture.

There's plenty of us who have a broad mind and don't care for pigeon holing different styles but the hard facts are that on this scene it is pigeon holed and there are several genres including northern soul. It not have been a genre of music BITD when recorded but the fact is it is now, it is referred to, Northern Soul, marketed as Northern Soul, promoted as Northern Soul, you can't get away from Northern Soul. Me I prefer the term rare soul, a term we used in the 80's.

We all use these terms whether we like them or not when it suits.

Unfortunately those of us who see the bigger musical picture are in a minority, especially when it comes to venues and what we care to hear when out and about.

Social source share

104 posts in, I'm liking Benji's thus far.

Funk is funk, soul is soul. Funky soul isn't soul.

I remember Keb saying at the Putney Soul Party in 88' when discussing the merits of Bobby Valentin over Stanley Mitchell. Something about "that latin shite". Pure Soul was the order of the day.

Social source share

Unfortunately those of us who see the bigger musical picture are in a minority, especially when it comes to venues and what we care to hear when out and about.

as a younger collector/dj this is one of the things i find the most frustrating about the whole "scene" :(

Social source share

As per usual........we all know who plays it........we all know who kills it.........but hey....lets keep saying they're top people (which mostly they are) and we love their stuff........which on the night is a universal "no we don,t".........soul source never changes in this respect....we wanna moan,but we just can,t say what we're moaning about and who's causing it (although we know)

Kinell Tezza ..confused ,perplexed ..please don't change your avatar anytime soon ,I'm having enough probs keeping up with your change of usernames let alone your posts ??

" I used to be indecisive but I'm not so sure now " :)

Social source share

some of it is fabulous, some of it is awful.

You need DJs that can actually sort the wheat from the chaff. :thumbsup: Sadly some of them can't. :yes:

And that's why the "top boys" are just that.

I would recommend listening to Soul Sam's current set , pushes the boundaries without losing the floor, out there and back again!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's been in my playbox for ages, played it the odd time.

Yes i know Chalky,been around a while this one.Wondered if it is funk.

Back to Harvey Averne for a mo,is it Latin because he's a known Latin artist.Or because the beat is Latin? I can't hear a deal of L in it myself.......

Social source share

Your user name says it all really :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Russ

Thats to the missus Russ, I like across the board but as one man once said YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Finally ..a man who gets it :)

It is a great version indeed and I bet Curtis would have loved it too .

P.s

It's Willie Wright Roburt :)

Now I'm close to closing my account. Willie Wright better than the OG curtis? I hate the entire LP, sounds like a failed richie havens copy.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Well the youngsters seem to like this sort of stuff Russ, that should tell you a thing or two :yes:

Its a sad state of affairs mate....I would rather listen to this kind of exciting, soulful dance music than some of the pisch we get fobbed off with in the name of NS....when did some cut thier ears off & close thier minds, its so sad...I do appreciate other peoples opinions, but honestly some would call black white, just to prove a point, even if they loved some of the things posted, they would still deny it, cos they couldnt possible say they had been proved wrong....most aint got a clue anyway Tim....

Best Russ

Social source share

Now I'm close to closing my account. Willie Wright better than the OG curtis? I hate the entire LP, sounds like a failed richie havens copy.

Don't do it Bob ..our country needs you ..I'll take it back ..lol

Social source share

And that's why the "top boys" are just that.

I would recommend listening to Soul Sam's current set , pushes the boundaries without losing the floor, out there and back again!

As much as I love the man ..you must be talking about Sam in a big room playing it safe ,cos he has done his fair share of floor clearing in his time !

Social source share

i love this one,funk,soul,funky soul ? im not really sure but i think its fantastic,btw,that gloria barnes is one of the best tunes i ever heard,remember jordi ripolles playing it at usos,blew me away,lp but released on single too ? (maple ?) i actually think a lot of these funky tunes are extremely soulful in the vocals but thats just my opinion

jason

Edited by arnie j
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

As much as I love the man ..you must be talking about Sam in a big room playing it safe ,cos he has done his fair share of floor clearing in his time !

Being prepared to risk losing the floor with a new spin, was, is & always should be part of it, I mean you dont wanna clear the floor, but some stuff now considered classics cleared floors initially...

Russ

Social source share

i love this one,funk,soul,funky soul ? im not really sure but i think its fantastic,btw,that gloria barnes is one of the best tunes i ever heard,remember jordi ripolles playing it at usos,blew me away,lp but released on single too ? (maple ?) i actually think a lot of these funky tunes are extremely soulful in the vocals but thats just my opinion

jason

Maple mate

Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!