Funky Soul

The problem is a lot of people trashing funky edged soul have no idea what they are talking about & are confusing the sound with other things IMHO, thing about SS is the amount of folk who 'gob off' from thier Laptop & actually dont go any where any more to be able to comment tbh.

Best Russ

This looks like the best one to reply to ............ :rolleyes:

I don't go out anymore, haven't been to anything soul related for about 3 years. I've been right through this thread with open ears and so far haven't heard a single tune that makes me want to go and look for a copy. A couple have been OK but most have been horrible IMHO.

As an aside, someone was going on in Trades about getting a SAG Warfare for around 3K - I'm sure its rare but IMHO it should be in the "books high ... but actually poor" thread.

I hope these things sound better when played out at a venue, where there is some atmosphere and they are played in a good set by a good DJ. But as standalone tunes to these no nothing ears they just don't cut it IMHO.

Cheers

Paul

Sent from my ZX Spectrum

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

so a few funky tunes get played at some venues and on the odd occasion someone dared play a whole hour set of them :ohmy: if there played at a Northern Soul Oldies night/nighter then yeah can understand the maons but come on ffs most places these tunes get played at are the forward thinking, rare & underplayed etc etc etc venues, what is the world coming to and to think that these venues that play this shite are based on a scene that has cherry picked every genre going nigh on through the years but now something that has some kind of soulful content to it but of the funky feel should never get played at all but some are ok if you like certain ones, not every tune played has been liked and some that have had there day have been awful to some and amazing to others, moderation is the key imho but for me i do prefer 60s and early 70s soul mainly but open to hearing anyhting at least once and if its good then great if not the dance floor more often than not will dictate and at the same time the tunes have to suit the venues music policy,

long livee soulful dance music and all that dances to it :yes: youngsters stop being so fickle and grow up will you :lol:

Social source share

The sort of sounds that this thread is aimed at are Deep Funk sounds as pioneered by Keb etc in small clubs.The thread should be retitled deep funk not funky soul.So the deep funk scene died and is being ressurected at rare soul clubs.I bet a lot of these sounds are Deep Funk oldies to people like Wrighty Jap Jimmy Russ Smith Trouble ....Deep Funk oldies are the rare scenes newies.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

The sort of sounds that this thread is aimed at are Deep Funk sounds as pioneered by Keb etc in small clubs.The thread should be retitled deep funk not funky soul.So the deep funk scene died and is being ressurected at rare soul clubs.I bet a lot of these sounds are Deep Funk oldies to people like Wrighty Jap Jimmy Russ Smith Trouble ....Deep Funk oldies are the rare scenes newies.

tbh Wiggy im lost on this thread now im off to start a "Say No to RnB" thread :lol:

Social source share

Just a thought...the uk rare soul scene has been moving the goal posts from the classic h-d-h stomper sound in order to stay fresh since...1972? New releases, rare motown, latin, beat ballads..the funk tinged thing, which I like to call 'dave music' is just the latest tweek to the rare soul shopping list. Each of these alterations have caused massive controversy at the time but eventually, once the fat is trimmed from the lean, all these styles have been consumed by the big beast of northern. I grew up listening to soul and dancing to soul and funk, while later on, twenty odd years ago, I was involved with the rare funk thing which interestingly included soulful funk records [known as 'wailing woman' in manchester; marketed as 'sister funk' later in london] which is of course the other way round to this debate. I have heard a lot of this newly played stuff recently and feel a lot of the tunes aren't good soul,[sort of indie Tempts lp tracks], or funk, [no bass in your face]. Some are good soul records though. In fact real funk with them holes in the track doesn't sit easily with trad dad northern style dancing.

BUT the public will decide, the good ones will be absorbed in to the northern soul cannon, and in five years time everyone will be wondering what the fuss was about.

dean

Edited by dean jj
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

This looks like the best one to reply to ............ :rolleyes:

I don't go out anymore, haven't been to anything soul related for about 3 years. I've been right through this thread with open ears and so far haven't heard a single tune that makes me want to go and look for a copy. A couple have been OK but most have been horrible IMHO.

As an aside, someone was going on in Trades about getting a SAG Warfare for around 3K - I'm sure its rare but IMHO it should be in the "books high ... but actually poor" thread.

I hope these things sound better when played out at a venue, where there is some atmosphere and they are played in a good set by a good DJ. But as standalone tunes to these no nothing ears they just don't cut it IMHO.

Cheers

Paul

Sent from my ZX Spectrum

Well Paul, with all due respect, we're talking about dance music, so unfortunately your really not in a postion to comment with regards to how any record might go down or not in a club atmosphere....whilst I respect your opinion n all that & not wanting to be rude in any way at all, there are many things that affect how a 'sound' is accepted in a club. With regards to the Sag War Far track, both sides are blinding & very atmospheric when played out in a club, one of those 'hairs on the back of the neck' tracks for me....not sure whether its worth 3K, but my comments are based purely on the stength of the quality of the tune, as opposed to monetary value, all IMO of course.

Best Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well Paul, with all due respect, we're talking about dance music, so unfortunately your really not in a postion to comment with regards to how any record might go down or not in a club atmosphere....

Some people on here really ought to listen to themselves, another post which is an utter joke.

Paul promoted one of the best Northern Soul nights in London "These Old Shoes" and was resident DJ there so for you to say he doesn't know how a record might or might not go down in a club is disgraceul to be honest. Or do they have to pass some sort of committee vote from a panel made up of people on the "cutting edge" of the Northern scene, which is obviously what you lot posting this funky shit think you are.

Social source share

And some of those Deep Funk oldies when newies, were Rare Groove oldies..........

and some of those deep funk oldies were probably forgotten soul bowl soul pack records or tried on the soul scene but didn't work ?

cookie scott was a record that was popular with younger collectors into funk and probably now into funky soul but to me was an average soul record that just wasn't good enough.

Social source share

Some people on here really ought to listen to themselves, another post which is an utter joke.

Paul promoted one of the best Northern Soul nights in London "These Old Shoes" and was resident DJ there so for you to say he doesn't know how a record might or might not go down in a club is disgraceul to be honest. Or do they have to pass some sort of committee vote from a panel made up of people on the "cutting edge" of the Northern scene, which is obviously what you lot posting this funky shit think you are.

No one is disputing Pauls reputation, in fact I was very careful to be extremely respectful, but if you are talking about hearing records in a club, how can anyone comment on them if you havnt heard them in that environment....your just totally over reacting to what actually is a simple fact, the records are being played regardless of what some people may like or dislike....i have emense respect for you aswell Pete, but I will not be bamboozled by ill informed people who are commenting out of context on records that they have never heard over a big sound system in an atmospheric club. I respect your personal opinion on whether you like or dislike a record or a particular genre....but irrespective, its happening, folk on SS can do n say what they like, but fortunatly in the real soul world its been played for years n most appear to enjoy the diversity within a mixed set of other things, as long as the DJ's are sensible & have a bit of taste, again all IMO.

Russ

• Helpful 2
Social source share

No one is disputing Pauls reputation, in fact I was very careful to be extremely respectful, but if you are talking about hearing records in a club, how can anyone comment on them if you havnt heard them in that environment....your just totally over reacting to what actually is a simple fact, the records are being played regardless of what some people may like or dislike....i have emense respect for you aswell Pete, but I will not be bamboozled by ill informed people who are commenting out of context on records that they have never heard over a big sound system in an atmospheric club. I respect your personal opinion on whether you like or dislike a record or a particular genre....but irrespective, its happening, folk on SS can do n say what they like, but fortunatly in the real soul world its been played for years n most appear to enjoy the diversity within a mixed set of other things, as long as the DJ's are sensible & have a bit of taste, again all IMO.

Russ

There's always been records played that I disliked Russ, at Wigan there were loads, thankfully some were dropped but others I hated like Mike McDonald seemed to go on for years.

At the end of the day, people will vote with their feet (or pockets) so we'll see how things pan out. At the moment from what I read, nighters are struggling anyway?

Social source share

BTW Im into Northern Soul, within the context of a progressive underground soul scene, of which this genre is a tiny part, along with lots of other things, Im commenting on todays scene, not a scene from 20 plus years ago, I dont have to have the permission of folk that appear to think that they can comment irrationally on anything they personally dont like just because they went to WC, before I make my mind up whether I can like a record or not.....i repeat, its happened & is happening, we dont care what others might think TBH, most of you havnt got a clue when speaking about this kinda thing, because the only thing you can compare it with is 7ts WC or a classic oldies night, the comparison is ridiculous....

Pete, just to clarify, this is not aimed at you personally & your right about liking/disliking stuff, I dont like everything played, including some of the things talked about in this thread, but there is usually something for most & I try to be tolerant of the things that arnt my personal cuppa.

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

I bought that Willie Smith in about 89 and still have it ...the same time as i bought The Smokin Shades Of Brass Grease Wheels which is a deep funk oldie which is now a rare soul newie.

did you mean to write "smokin shades of black"?

this thread should be closed, there's no dialog at this point.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Out of interest, what new 60's non funky soul records are currently floating peoples boats on the scene? This isn't a facetious question btw.

I know what stuff I've been enjoying / listening to but I am interested to hear what new 60's / non funky others like, Pete, Benji, Simsy et al. :thumbsup:

Edited by corbett80
Social source share

BTW Im into Northern Soul, within the context of a progressive underground soul scene, of which this genre is a tiny part, along with lots of other things, Im commenting on todays scene, not a scene from 20 plus years ago, I dont have to have the permission of folk that appear to think that they can comment irrationally on anything they personally dont like just because they went to WC, before I make my mind up whether I can like a record or not.....i repeat, its happened & is happening, we dont care what others might think TBH, most of you havnt got a clue when speaking about this kinda thing, because the only thing you can compare it with is 7ts WC or a classic oldies night, the comparison is ridiculous....

Pete, just to clarify, this is not aimed at you personally & your right about liking/disliking stuff, I dont like everything played, including some of the things talked about in this thread, but there is usually something for most & I try to be tolerant of the things that arnt my personal cuppa.

Best Russ

I've only stopped going to nighters in the last 6 years since Sam was born Russ, I didn't go off the scene after Wigan closed, far from it, running magazines, writing articles and probably most importantly, being part of a huge hub of tape swappers who were responsible for putting people on to hundreds if not thousands of records they wouldn't have previously known, mid 80's to mid 90's.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

another day another dodgy collective judgement

here are

if you got to the index page - you can actually click and see whos posted on each thread -even tells you how many posts

maybe next time Russ you wanna collectively slag members off on here may pay to have a look

Pete S 43

NEV 37

Bearsy 30

Russ Vickers 30

chalky 28

boba 24

KevH 21

john s 21

jumpinjoan 17

gordon russell 14

dylan 13

wiggyflat 13

Winnie :-) 11

Benji 10

little-stevie 10

Steve G 9

LilJimmyCrank 8

Adam Topping 8

manus 8

rodw 8

spacehopper 7

Peter99 6

tim smithers 6

Marc Forrest 6

Kris Holmes 6

jocko 6

TOAD 6

tonyp 5

jordirip 5

kev cane 5

MrC 5

Roburt 5

MrsWoodsrules 4

arnie j 4

garethx 4

Im not Listenin 4

Mace 4

Greg Belson 3

macca 3

Sutty 3

Matt Male 3

ClearVinyl 3

geeselad 3

johnmcc 3

Stevie.T 3

viphitman 3

wilxy 3

PhilT 3

callum_64 2

TRICKY 2

Alison H 2

Russell Gilbert 2

nubes 2

Simsy 2

SWIFTY 2

John Reed 2

corbett80 2

paultp 1

TheBigO 1

SteveSmith 1

Tommy1 1

Brett F 1

colin brown 1

dean jj 1

Paul Royle 1

TailorMade Gaz B 1

Grayman45 1

BAKUNIN 1

John Browne 1

mike 1

FunKPunK 1

markw 1

autumnstoned 1

Des Crombie

Social source share

Well Paul, with all due respect, we're talking about dance music, so unfortunately your really not in a postion to comment with regards to how any record might go down or not in a club atmosphere....whilst I respect your opinion n all that & not wanting to be rude in any way at all, there are many things that affect how a 'sound' is accepted in a club. With regards to the Sag War Far track, both sides are blinding & very atmospheric when played out in a club, one of those 'hairs on the back of the neck' tracks for me....not sure whether its worth 3K, but my comments are based purely on the stength of the quality of the tune, as opposed to monetary value, all IMO of course.

Best Russ

Errr..... I think what I said was: "I hope these things sound better when played out at a venue, where there is some atmosphere and they are played in a good set by a good DJ. But as standalone tunes to these no nothing ears they just don't cut it IMHO."

So I wasn't really commenting on "how any record might go down or not in a club atmosphere" - at least I don't think I was - I was hoping they sound better in a club. I said listening to them on here they sounded pretty weak.

Maybe you should read it back again and see (or even read it all the way through?).

This seems to be one of those topics where people think if they shout loud enough about something everyone will go along with them. One of your comments alongside one of these records was something along the lines of "if you can't dance to this you must be dead". I'm not dead but I would find it difficult to dance to some of these tunes, I'd have to find something else to do.

When I used to go out, I would use the time when records I didn't like were being played (or someone was doing a crap set) to go and look at the records being sold. But in the UK most people price their records ridiculously high. I gave up smoking some years ago so the only thing I could do was stand around and moan about crap records and sets so I stopped going out as I wasn't enjoying myself (with odd exceptions of course).

I, like a lot of people, am quite happy to make up my own mind about what I like and I'm also quite happy to listen to things I haven't heard before. I haven't thought a single record on this thread is worth going out and buying unless I knew its sale price and got one cheap to sell on.

I personally feel that the search for new records is something which, by its nature, can only bring diminishing returns. Good on people for doing it but the good new records each year can probably be counted on the fingers of one hand (less if you live in Lincolnshire). IMHO the funky soul records on this thread are a good example of these diminishing returns.

If you still think that the Northern Soul Scene is a "progressive underground soul scene" you are sadly deluded. It is a business these days designed to extract money from over 50's with reasonable disposable income. I'm sure here are some good clubs about but I can't be bothered finding out anymore. I just buy a few records now and again and come on here every fortnight or so.

I get what little adrenalin fix I need these days on Sundays racing my dinghy and the current windy weather is a blast.

Cheers

Paul

• Helpful 1
Social source share

'If you still think that the Northern Soul Scene is a "progressive underground soul scene" you are sadly deluded. It is a business these days designed to extract money from over 50's with reasonable disposable income. I'm sure here are some good clubs about but I can't be bothered finding out anymore. I just buy a few records now and again and come on here every fortnight or so.'

What about the younger soul lovers finding their own personal faves and taste who aren't off dyeing their comb overs and munching Werthers Originals?

I wonder what records would be 'discovered' by the younger crowd if left to their own devices and not have to listen to DJ's who are over 45 and class everything that's been popular between 1970 and 1990 as crap?

Social source share

Would be interesting to find out - sure lots are already?

Newhampton Soul Club in Wolverhampton is run by some 20 something youngsters, and is a sell out everytime it's on. They're a young crowd, and haven't been influenced by too many other oldies or upfront soul nights run by the the over 45s!

They just heard bits off the music through older members of the family, or tunes that had been sampled for newer stuff.

They seem to like a lot of the funky type things and stuff like "the bottle" "baby boy" etc.

They are also finding some of the favourite, big tunes are old big Wigan tunes!

Weird! :g::thumbsup:

Social source share

The bottle and baby boy are funky soul ,so the kids have got it going on eh MrC :)

They have Nev, and without the normal outside influences.

Those 2 tunes are funky soul, but they're also top 500 oldies.... so what does that tell ya?! :)

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Newhampton Soul Club in Wolverhampton is run by some 20 something youngsters, and is a sell out everytime it's on. They're a young crowd, and haven't been influenced by too many other oldies or upfront soul nights run by the the over 45s!

They just heard bits off the music through older members of the family, or tunes that had been sampled for newer stuff.

They seem to like a lot of the funky type things and stuff like "the bottle" "baby boy" etc.

They are also finding some of the favourite, big tunes are old big Wigan tunes!

Weird! :g::thumbsup:

in my experience short and sweet approx 7 years, everything i first heard i heard it purely as a tune new to me not knowing anyhting abpout it as in where it was played or who it was played by or how much and which label etc etc etc, they are just records and some grabbed me some didnt i didnt know if i was dancing to a rare tune or a cheap classic and its probably exactly the same for them youngsters i guess they dont care where and when it was played before they like it cos they simply like it.

went to Bristols Go Go on saturday and the place was banging from start to finish with a mix up of just about everything and the djs got the balance bang on and itss got to be the first time for a few years ive not been to a night out where the music and djs was disected it was just embraced and enjoyed it was so refreshing that it was all about the music and the dancing :thumbup:

Social source share

They have Nev, and without the normal outside influences.

Those 2 tunes are funky soul, but they're also top 500 oldies.... so what does that tell ya?! :)

Well Dr Watson ...do i deduce funky soul, if done right ,does actually have a place within the soul scene and has done all along :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Well Dr Watson ...do i deduce funky soul, if done right ,does actually have a place within the soul scene and has done all along :)

I deduce that a good record is a good record, rare doesn't necessarily mean good, and if not exposed to outside, tired, jaded influences, the young crowd will tend to go for the same 'good' records that we all did!!

Social source share

Guest Gazfunk

I've been reading this topic with interest and I'm commenting a bit late on it. I think I might be one of the people who can't really grasp what is defined as funky soul or funk. Living in Belfast we don't really have a soul scene but I like loads of different types of "soul" that may be defined as one genre or another.

With being a good bit younger than most of you guys (early 30s) I never went to Northern Soul dos and I'm always finding new tracks (to me) that I have no idea how well known they are to older collectors/djs, I just dig them without knowledge of rareness. Also because I don't travel to soul nights, I have no real concept of what is popular, though I do think I have a reasonable handle on what is/was considered a "Northern Soul sound"

With my collection and passion for black music of all genres I've been lucky to dj around the world but I've never exclusively dj'd at a Northern Soul event (although I have had offers) because I was a bit fearful of the reaction I'd get if I played a track(s) that was defined as too funky and not Northern sounding. Some of the comments I've read would back that up as there are some people who are very passionate about what they think should be played at a Northern Soul night. It has kinda put me off putting my neck on the line and in addition, put me off going to Northern Soul nights too if I'm honest.

I'm sure for guys who have been doing this for longer than I've been born probably don't care about younger guys like me being a part of a new generation (why should they?) but maybe that's what might put off younger people from being part of the scene.

To try and get a bit more of a handle of what people define as funky soul or funk I'll post a couple of tracks that I play out and I'd appreciate people advising what genre they think they fit into.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

so a few funky tunes get played at some venues and on the odd occasion someone dared play a whole hour set of them :ohmy: if there played at a Northern Soul Oldies night/nighter then yeah can understand the maons but come on ffs most places these tunes get played at are the forward thinking, rare & underplayed etc etc etc venues, what is the world coming to and to think that these venues that play this shite are based on a scene that has cherry picked every genre going nigh on through the years but now something that has some kind of soulful content to it but of the funky feel should never get played at all but some are ok if you like certain ones, not every tune played has been liked and some that have had there day have been awful to some and amazing to others, moderation is the key imho but for me i do prefer 60s and early 70s soul mainly but open to hearing anyhting at least once and if its good then great if not the dance floor more often than not will dictate and at the same time the tunes have to suit the venues music policy,

long livee soulful dance music and all that dances to it :yes: youngsters stop being so fickle and grow up will you :lol:

The point is ...there ain,t enough of em good enough for a whole set....just mix in the ones that;ll fit.........l don,t attend boring oldies type venues ,but as soon as some one comes on playing the heavier funk type set...it,s noticable and generally goes down badly........take whats good (dance wise) from the funky edged stuff.......my fav venue has always done that and also included oldies (of the underplayed good variety) totally unknowns good kicking r&b (not the shit kicking yeha type lol) and even dancing gospel. the maxim is always that it,s ....upbeat dance stuff, thats all......as karl H said to me once it ain,t rocket science

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

another day another dodgy collective judgement

here are

if you got to the index page - you can actually click and see whos posted on each thread -even tells you how many posts

maybe next time Russ you wanna collectively slag members off on here may pay to have a look

Pete S 43

NEV 37

Bearsy 30

Russ Vickers 30

chalky 28

boba 24

KevH 21

john s 21

jumpinjoan 17

gordon russell 14

dylan 13

wiggyflat 13

Winnie :-) 11

Benji 10

little-stevie 10

Steve G 9

LilJimmyCrank 8

Adam Topping 8

manus 8

rodw 8

spacehopper 7

Peter99 6

tim smithers 6

Marc Forrest 6

Kris Holmes 6

jocko 6

TOAD 6

tonyp 5

jordirip 5

kev cane 5

MrC 5

Roburt 5

MrsWoodsrules 4

arnie j 4

garethx 4

Im not Listenin 4

Mace 4

Greg Belson 3

macca 3

Sutty 3

Matt Male 3

ClearVinyl 3

geeselad 3

johnmcc 3

Stevie.T 3

viphitman 3

wilxy 3

PhilT 3

callum_64 2

TRICKY 2

Alison H 2

Russell Gilbert 2

nubes 2

Simsy 2

SWIFTY 2

John Reed 2

corbett80 2

paultp 1

TheBigO 1

SteveSmith 1

Tommy1 1

Brett F 1

colin brown 1

dean jj 1

Paul Royle 1

TailorMade Gaz B 1

Grayman45 1

BAKUNIN 1

John Browne 1

mike 1

FunKPunK 1

markw 1

autumnstoned 1

Des Crombie

Firstly Mike, I can categoritically state I was not slagging anyone off & I feel offended that you off all people would choose to say that I was, its a public forum, I'm entitled to my opinion as is everyone else on here. If you chose to read it that way, then I'm sorry, but you are wrong, I made the post & I know what I meant.

If anyone was offended in anyway by my opinion on this subject PM me & I will not only PM you a personal apology, but I will also print a public apology also, if required.

'Another dodgy collective judgement' - Mike we're on SS here, there probably isnt an hour goes by without something of a similar nature happening, but I'm singled out for public humiliation on this particular thread...how strange.

Thank you for going to the trouble of printing the contributors on this thread, but it really wasnt neccessary, Im quite capable of reading who's posted thank you, incidently, many I know personally & could class as friends, so Im sure most would not feel offended in any way.

I do get the message tho & in future I will be careful about expressing my opinion in case I offend anyone, would the other members pse take note of this also, other wise if this is to become the norm Mike is gonna be pretty busy.

Best Russ

Social source share

Funky Soul, Funk edged Soul...however you wish to describe it. Good or bad?

Does it have a place at venues or is a lot of it a case of the Emperors New Clothes.

Answer to the original question , yes it does have a place at venues, it has been played for many years, i just dont see what the problem is, if its a northern type nite and i was asked to dj, i would without hesitation drop a few in wich would blend nicely with everything else, if it was a across the board nite, i would also drop a few in and if it was advertised as a funky soul / r&b , rare soul etc, i would drop a few more in.... cant see what the problem is, the question doesnt ask if a full set of funk edge soul fits in, it says does it have a place in venue's....and it does imho

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Firstly Mike, I can categoritically state I was not slagging anyone off & I feel offended that you off all people would choose to say that I was, its a public forum, I'm entitled to my opinion as is everyone else on here. If you chose to read it that way, then I'm sorry, but you are wrong, I made the post & I know what I meant.

If anyone was offended in anyway by my opinion on this subject PM me & I will not only PM you a personal apology, but I will also print a public apology also, if required.

'Another dodgy collective judgement' - Mike we're on SS here, there probably isnt an hour goes by without something of a similar nature happening, but I'm singled out for public humiliation on this particular thread...how strange.

Thank you for going to the trouble of printing the contributors on this thread, but it really wasnt neccessary, Im quite capable of reading who's posted thank you, incidently, many I know personally & could class as friends, so Im sure most would not feel offended in any way.

I do get the message tho & in future I will be careful about expressing my opinion in case I offend anyone, would the other members pse take note of this also, other wise if this is to become the norm Mike is gonna be pretty busy.

Best Russ

come on Russ

this is what you said...

most of you havnt got a clue when speaking about this kinda thing, because the only thing you can compare it with is 7ts WC or a classic oldies night, the comparison is ridiculous....if you

if you going to post that sort of over the top post then yeah you will get me commenting

as for the "how strange etc etc"

was your words that caused me to post, if you hadn't posted then i wouldn't have

Social source share

Errr..... I think what I said was: "I hope these things sound better when played out at a venue, where there is some atmosphere and they are played in a good set by a good DJ. But as standalone tunes to these no nothing ears they just don't cut it IMHO."

Yes, you are right, I apologise if I took this staement out of context Paul.

So I wasn't really commenting on "how any record might go down or not in a club atmosphere" - at least I don't think I was - I was hoping they sound better in a club. I said listening to them on here they sounded pretty weak.

As you know some records sound better in a club, that was my point.

Maybe you should read it back again and see (or even read it all the way through?).

I have.

This seems to be one of those topics where people think if they shout loud enough about something everyone will go along with them. One of your comments alongside one of these records was something along the lines of "if you can't dance to this you must be dead". I'm not dead but I would find it difficult to dance to some of these tunes, I'd have to find something else to do.

Sag War Far has been played for years & has been packing dance floors on several scenes for a long time. If you dont like the record, that is fine, but it will not diminish its proven popularity.

I think you may find that some of the people 'shouting the loudest' are the ones NOT in favour of such tunes.

When I used to go out, I would use the time when records I didn't like were being played (or someone was doing a crap set) to go and look at the records being sold. But in the UK most people price their records ridiculously high. I gave up smoking some years ago so the only thing I could do was stand around and moan about crap records and sets so I stopped going out as I wasn't enjoying myself (with odd exceptions of course).

I agree with you & tend to do this myself also ?

I, like a lot of people, am quite happy to make up my own mind about what I like and I'm also quite happy to listen to things I haven't heard before. I haven't thought a single record on this thread is worth going out and buying unless I knew its sale price and got one cheap to sell on.

You are entitled to your opinion, & thats just what it is, your opinion, there are hundreds of people who would disagree with you.

I personally feel that the search for new records is something which, by its nature, can only bring diminishing returns. Good on people for doing it but the good new records each year can probably be counted on the fingers of one hand (less if you live in Lincolnshire). IMHO the funky soul records on this thread are a good example of these diminishing returns.

Again, your personal opinion as you rightly state, but there are plenty of people who do enjoy them & good luck to them.

If you still think that the Northern Soul Scene is a "progressive underground soul scene" you are sadly deluded. It is a business these days designed to extract money from over 50's with reasonable disposable income. I'm sure here are some good clubs about but I can't be bothered finding out anymore. I just buy a few records now and again and come on here every fortnight or so.

Depends where you go paul, Im glad to say that Im not really part of that side of the scene.

I get what little adrenalin fix I need these days on Sundays racing my dinghy and the current windy weather is a blast.

Cheers

Paul

Well TBH Paul, you've just about summed it up, thats me one step nearer to calling it a day, something I never ever thought I would do....this scene is becoming a joke & to be honest, its getting more embarrassing by the day with the exception of a very few venues.

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

come on Russ

this is what you said...

if you going to post that sort of over the top post then yeah you will get me commenting

as for the "how strange etc etc"

was your words that caused me to post, if you hadn't posted then i wouldn't have

I was NOT slagging anyone off....I repeat, if any one was offended by my post, please PM me & CC Mike in also, I will apologise profusely, but again I repeat I was not slagging anyone off.....waddaya want me to do ?.

Im just suprised that after all the outrageous stuff that gets said on SS, this particular comment was singled out & wrongly identified as 'slagging' people off, a lot of the people on here are my friends, why would I do that ?.

I would apologise to you personally Mike, but that would be saying that I intentionally meant to offend & that is not what I did....if you choose to take it that way, then Im sorry, but that was not the intention at all....now I have had my pants pulled down & had my arse smacked in public, is there anything else you would like me to do with regards to this ????.

Russ

Russ

Social source share

n

I was NOT slagging anyone off....I repeat, if any one was offended by my post, please PM me & CC Mike in also, I will apologise profusely, but again I repeat I was not slagging anyone off.....waddaya want me to do ?.

Im just suprised that after all the outrageous stuff that gets said on SS, this particular comment was singled out & wrongly identified as 'slagging' people off, a lot of the people on here are my friends, why would I do that ?.

I would apologise to you personally Mike, but that would be saying that I intentionally meant to offend & that is not what I did....if you choose to take it that way, then Im sorry, but that was not the intention at all....now I have had my pants pulled down & had my arse smacked in public, is there anything else you would like me to do with regards to this ????.

Russ

Russ

you said what you said,

it read to me that you were slating the members on here

and thats what my comments were based on

you say it wasn't meant that way,fine then there's nothing else to say

• Helpful 1
Social source share

n

you said what you said,

it read to me that you were slating the members on here

and thats what my comments were based on

you say it wasn't meant that way,fine then there's nothing else to say

Thank you & I will choose my words more carefully in the future, Im afraid I still get very passionate about certain subjects & my enthusiasm I concede, may on occasion, be misenterpreted, so I apologise.

Russ

Social source share

I still can't believe that nobody thought my Lincolnshire joke was funny ........... sad times indeed.

Well I bloody didn't :boxing:ranting_1.gif

Swifty (Louth , Lincolnshire !!!)

:thumbup:

Ive been told I must be Deaf on this thread and now I'm deformed in some way :( , I have feelings you know ! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Ive been told I must be Deaf on this thread and now I'm deformed in some way :( , I have feelings you know ! :thumbsup:

You should be happy its just deaf and deformed being from Lincolnshire :D

At least I didn't stray too far into the county wide inter-breeding issue ...........

Edited by paultp
Social source share

You should be happy its just deaf and deformed being from Lincolnshire :D

At least I didn't stray too far into the county wide inter-breeding issue ...........

... But I love my sister Very much :lol:

Social source share

incoming today is my 2nd copy of linden hill on arch which could just about get the tag funky soul.

its brilliant and you never hear it anywhere...............................

also worth a mention the flip side is a tremendous ballad.

best avoided if you don't like blue eyed soul though :D

Social source share

incoming today is my 2nd copy of linden hill on arch which could just about get the tag funky soul.

Is that so you can look at both sides simultaneously?

Social source share

OMFG, not ANOTHER category

Funky eyed blue edged Soul ???

Tony

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!